Map &

KL Tower Observation Deck Admission Ticket
From $18.00
Kuala Lumpur Tour including Petronas Twin Towers
From $98.00

Taxi Driver Scams Tips (52)

Ripped off if you are not familiar.

I always try not to take any taxi in Malaysia. I thought KL would be better since it is the capital. However, it's the same. I was ripped off by taking a taxi from Puduraya to Kepong. I was quoted by many taxi drivers for RM25. I decided not to use their service. Instead, I got one on the road and I was quoted RM20. I thought I had a deal.
When I got to my relative's house, I was told it should only cost between RM8 - RM10 for that journey!!! I was ripped off. The price difference is just too much. Mind you, I am a Malaysian, just that I do not speak cantonese.

Unique Suggestions There's a meter for all taxis. Make sure they use their meter. When you board, tell them you want to go by meter, if not, get out of the taxi.
Find out the normal price from someone you know.

Fun Alternatives Too much trouble with taxis... I will boycott them next time I visit KL again.

Take the LRT.

Take the public buses.

A2002's Profile Photo
Feb 24, 2004

Beware of 'Taxi Touts' on arrival at KLIA, M'sia

Always, someone is bound to get tricked into getting a taxi by 'touts' as soon as you exit the arrival hall. The authorities have tried to curb this menace, but somehow, these 'touts' are still there. so, below are some tips on how to get your transportation to the city. Mind you the city is around 75km from the airport.

Unique Suggestions

At the Satellite Terminal Building, look out for a currency changer counter(Money Changer) or bank to change your currency to Malaysian currency (RM = Ringgit Malaysia; US$1.00 = RM$3.80 or better). You need RM$ to pay for your train or taxi fare later.

Taxis use the coupon system and taxi booths are available upon exit from the Arrival Hall. There is a choice of an airport limousine service as well as a budget taxi service.

The registered taxis can be boarded after buying coupons from Airport Limo counter at Level 3-Arrival Hall (at the exit immediately after clearing customs). Then queue up near Door 3 at Level 3 to board the registered metered taxis. Show your coupon to a person on duty before boarding a taxi. The taxi journey takes 50 to 90 minutes (depending on the general traffic condition on the roads).

Public bus services to the city are available one floor down from the Arrival Hall.

Fun Alternatives
ERL - Express Rail Link or KLIA Express

After coming out of the exit immediately after clearing customs, you are at Level 3 (Arrival Hall). Take a lift down to Level 1 to take the KLIA Ekspres (trains) to KL Sentral Station.

Cost: RM35.00 (adult, single trip) or RM70.00 (adult; return trip)

There are also promotional group/family rates. Pls inquire at the counter.

RM15.00(child 3-12 yrs, single trip)

RM25.00 (senior citizen, single trip) Please ASK if you qualify for this rate!

☼First Train: 5.00 am
☼Last Train: 1.00 am
☼Frequency: Every 15 minutes
☼Travelling Time: 28 minutes (non-stop)

city_guy's Profile Photo
Jan 19, 2004

Very well decorated but things are EXPENSIVE!EXPENSIVE!EXPENSIVE! Enjoy the place for its embiance - thats it! Do not Buy! Do not pass go (oh well you can hang out there) not PAY RM200 (it might cost RM20 elsewhere)

Unique Suggestions Hang out at the place for its embiance and since its located in KLCC, enjoy the shopping center.

Fun Alternatives Karyanika handicraft center, Central Market (you can bargain here), or Kg Bahru.

ishi01's Profile Photo
Oct 29, 2003

Beware of the taxi drivers....

Beware of the taxi drivers. They often cover their meters or 'forget' to turn the meter on when you get on their cab. And when you arrive at your destination, they will quote you exorbitant price. So when you get in a taxi, make sure you check that he sets the meter. If you don't see any meters visible, ask him why he doesn't have one. Once a taxi driver covered his meter with a towel and when I asked him about the availability of the meter, he then proceeded to remove that towel. Cunning indeed!

Sunflora's Profile Photo