Map &

Private Full Day Mandalay Heritage Tour
From AUD69.00
Mandalay Private Day Tour
From $57.00

Zeigyo (Central Market) Tips (2)

Central Zeiygo Market

We took local transport to this market. The market mainly sold fruit and veg. It was very photogenic.Traffic, bicycles, delivery men travelled between stalls. Stall holders in tradional Burmese clothes wearing traditional thannaka on their faces, as protection against the sun, sat on the roads. Everywhere was crowded, chaotic and colourful.

IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
Jun 30, 2013

Bag a bargain.

I am not normally much of a one for shopping, but I found the Zeigyo (Central Market) absolutely fascinating. You can buy anything, and I mean anything, here. The variety is mind-boggling.

By far the largest section is the cloth / clothng section (first photo) which is vast and spreads over several floors. A word of warning for large Westerners (like me) - it's very difficult to find anything big enough to fit. If you can find something, though, it's very cheap. I got a tracksuit top for $2, having stupidly left my overshirt on a boat on the Ayerawaddy!

Another considerable section is the spice section (second picture), where the smells are quite unbelievable. Unfortunately, or possibly fortunately, lack of pack space prevented me buying half the place - I simply love frresh spices.

The building itself is nothing to write home about, having only been build in the 90's. It is a four storey barn of a place, although the top floor doesn't seem to have much in it. Don't be fooled by the escalators in the third picture, they don't actually work.

Altogether, this is a great place to while away an hour or two, and there are photo opportunities everywhere.

planxty's Profile Photo