map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Walking Tour of Kathmandu to Ason Markets
"Depart on your walking tour to the Ason market a stones throw away from the tourist hub of Thamel in Kathmandu.In 2.5 hours you will get a chance to taste spices and herbs and also shop like a local. You will visit the clothes bazaar the vegetable market the spice shops the herb shops the utensils market
From $25.00

Kathmandu Mountain Bike Day-Trip
"Here is the itinerary of this day of mountain-biking: Kathmandu - Nagarkot: Two-hour bike-ride (about 24km)After Kathmandu hotel pick-up you will be taken to Nagarkot from where you will experience a downhill bike ride descending more than 2800 feet starting from 7100 feet (2164 meters) with glorious mountain vistas from Nagarkot. Then you will have breakfast at one of the finest restaurants. Nagarkot to Telkot: 30-minute downhill bike ride (about 15km)Afterwards you will start riding towards the paved and less-busy Telkot hill and then ride uphill towards Changu Narayan on a dirt-road. Telkot to Changu Narayan: 20-minute bike-ride (about 7km).You will reach Changu Narayan. There you can admire the stone-carvings of lord Vishnu (dating back to the sixth century and attributed to the Newari artists). Changu Narayan is the oldest temple in the Kathmandu valley which was built in 4th century A.D. The main attraction of this temple i
From $120.00

Full Day White Water Rafting Trip on the Trishuli River
"You will be picked up at the meeting spot and transferred to the tourist bus station at 7am. From there you will be driven 3 hours to Charaudi the put-in point where a crowd of friendly local people eagerly wait to watch the proceedings.Once at Charaudi the crew will prepare the rafts after which you will head towards the river for a safety talk and some lessons on how to use paddles. After that you will start your rafting trip during which a number of Class I to Class III rapids are encountered (ratings are all given on the international rating scale).Two hours down the river at 12pm
From $50.00

Taxi's Tips (14)

General

First thing I learned from my other travel is that don't believe in taxi meter. I used taxi to get to a local town called Balaju. The driver was nice. I made sure we had a fixed price before we started driving. Balaju is not a typical tourist town but it is a great place to be. There was a local inn I found from one of my friend who visited there before. After I reached there I realized that the hotel my friend told me was closed because of some reason. I had to visit many other hotels before I found a cheap and a nice place to stay. On my second day I went to the local zoo. I know that is not the place many people go to when they travel to another continent. My main reason to go there was to visit the local people and get to know the great places in the country which most of the tourist don't know about.

PSharma
Aug 21, 2013

Taxis

Taxis in Kathmandu are the same as in a lot of other places in that none I saw had meters; you just pay what you look like you can afford. At least get a price before you get in--that goes everywhere. The rides are crazy and far from comfortable but that's the same for any vehicle attempting to drive in Kathmandu. I actually think the drivers are pretty darn good at what they do.

Skibbe's Profile Photo
Skibbe
Jul 30, 2012

Taxis in Kathmandu.

When taking a taxi in Kathmandu, you should negotiate the rate in advance with the driver as they do not run by meter.
The price for a taxi ride inside Kathamndu city should never sost more than 200 rupees (around 3 US dollar).
The taxis are mostly small white cars as aseen on the pictures and you should never have any problems finding one.
In fact they try and find you all the time and can be a real pain in the butt at times.
But at least it's a city where it'
s easy and cheap to travel by taxi as long as you make sure to arrange the price in advance.

cachaseiro's Profile Photo
cachaseiro
May 27, 2012

Keep a mental map of Kathmandu in mind

It is not difficult to find a taxi in Kathmandu. Most taxis are small Indian made Suzuki Maruti cars.

All taxis have meters, but there are some taxi drivers who refuse to follow the meter reading while dealing with tourists. It is possible to contact the traffic police and complain about it, but my experience tells me that it is better not to create a fuss unnecessarily when you are in another country.

Once you have a clear mental picture of your distination, you can try your luck in pursuading the taxi driver to accept about 10-15 rupees per km. During one of the taxi rides, due to hasty interruption by one of my colleagues, we paid 120 rupees for one km.

askhokhar's Profile Photo

Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Thamel - 29, Narsingh Chowk
Tridevi Marg, Kathmandu, Nepal

Taxi

Taxis are easy to find. You will have to negotiate! The first fare offered by the driver is usually extremely overpriced. The fare to and from the airport should be 300 to 400 Rs one way. We had drivers wanted up to Rs1000!
It might also be useful to enquire from your hotel as to how much a specific trip should cost. There are usually many taxis around, so just go to the next driver for a better fare.

PierreZA's Profile Photo
PierreZA
Feb 20, 2009

Taxis of Kathmandu.

Seeing around is the most important part of our travel and if you cant see in detil even after paying lots of money, it is only our badluck. In Kathmandu, most of the tourist either travel alone on foot, on bike, on Motorcycle or by taxi arranged either by hotel or by a travel agent. In most of the Kathmandu hotels they have a travel desk, who arrange taxi for us at a very high price. Though Kathmandu taxis are comparatively cheaper than our Kolkata taxi, but booking for the day costs very high amount. The travel agents will give certain fixed destinations at a very high price after taking a great cut from the taxi bill. Most of Kathmandu taxi and private cars are old or second hand. The first day we paid Rs 2000/-( or USD$ 40) per day. Next day I took a taxi from Kathmandu street and bargained for the day for Rs1000 (IC, USD 20 day) for more distance and more coverage. Bonus, if you treat the driver as your friend he will show you the most inner parts of the place or keep your extra wishes for free. We took Hari for three days and showed more things than we expected. At places he also worked as our guide!!!

goutammitra's Profile Photo
goutammitra
Sep 23, 2007

Taxis

Taxis in general are a little bit scary for someone who is not used to how Nepali's drive. The cars are small and generally run down and the drivers go like bats out of hell! Just hold on and you will be use to get to your destination.

Taxi drivers will always try to rip you off. Always make sure that you agree on a price before you get in NOT when you arrive. If it's too expensive, get out and try another driver.

nattybabe's Profile Photo
nattybabe
Jun 19, 2007

Taxi to Airport

Getting to the Kathmandu airport is relatively easy and quick although if you're not careful you could end up paying a lot of money (1000rs!!). If you're good at bargaining then try getting a taxi yourself, but if not, your hotel will be able to help you. We paid 300rs for a ride to the airport. Split between 3 people (we were all leaving at the same time) it's even better. It should take around 20 - 30 minutes to get to the airport.

nattybabe's Profile Photo
nattybabe
Jun 19, 2007

Top 5 Kathmandu Writers

goutammitra's Profile Photo

goutammitra

"Kathmandu The Ancient City - Dream Destination."
sachara's Profile Photo

sachara

"Kathmandu"

josephescu

"Kathmandu (Kantipur) - a royal capital.....still"
SLLiew's Profile Photo

SLLiew

"Mountain Air & Himalayan Culture"
PierreZA's Profile Photo

PierreZA

"Kathmandu, revisited"

Kathmandu - Bhaktapur

I was sick that day (diarrhoea from earlier meals in Chitwan) and spent almost all morning in the hotel in Kathmandu. Feeling a little better in the afternoon, I insisted on seeing Bhaktapur, although it was getting really late.

So we rented a cab to take us from Kathmandu to Bhaktapur, wait 2 hours and then back to Kathmandu. The whole thing was 600 rupees, after a little bargain and jokes on the continuous rises in taxi fares around the valley.

We caught the rush hour traffic back to Kathmandu, so the 30 minutes ride to Bhaktapur transformed into an agonising hour on the way back (with me being still sick :-))))

Feb 02, 2007

Thamel - Patan and back

From nearby the British embassy in Kathmandu north east of Thamel, the taxi to Patan was 120 rupees, 30 minutes.

For the way back to Kathmandu, I did not find any cabs as it was night and long after tourists ought to have left already. So I started walking towards Kathmandu, and within 200m, I caught a shared cab, “20 rupees for foreigners”.

Feb 02, 2007

from the airport

After a long flight nobody is in mood to argue and negotiate with airport taxi touts, so I was glad to read about the “pre-paid taxi” option.
But be careful, as once you exit the area designed for passport & luggage control (there’re no such activities performed there, however) and after you get Nepali Rupees (Nr) in your hand, the first desk on the right is not the real pre-paid cab one, but some noisy touts pretending as such. The real pre-paid cab desk is the second one, and you manage to see it only after you refuse the touts offers.

Insist to go to the hotel of your choice, and do not accept "better alternatives", as they'll surely prove otherwise.

There are fixed fares from the airport to Kathamdu, depending on the destination in the city. A ride to Durbar square is 300 Nr, while one to Thamel is 350 Nr. Notwithstanding the above, you’ll probably end up giving a large tip to the driver (50 – 100 Nr), after having heard all his stories about his family, children, relatives and heavy traffic.

Jan 21, 2007

Rickshaws around Kathmandu

Not only are they original and an activity in its own for the first time traveler to Asia, but rickshaws are the cheapest and fastest option around Kathmandu, irrespective of time of day.
However, keep in mind:
1 - There’s a man cycling hard to get you there, so don’t choose rickshaws for long routes or uphill ones.
2 - While bargaining is a common fact, 10 rupees for the rickshaw man worth a lot more than 15 eurocents for you. On the other hand, if everybody auctions to the first price, budget travellers will have to walk in a few years......

A normal “tourist” fare for an average distance around Kathmandu should be less than 100 Nr, so it’s better to offer 50-60 Nr and agree on 80-100 Nr.

Jan 21, 2007

Things to Do Near Kathmandu

The Garden of Dreams

Located between Thamel and the former royal palace, this garden was designed by Keshar Shumshere Rana in the 1920s. It is laid out like a European style garden and contains a restaurant, cafe, ponds,...

The Toothache Shrine

A small ugly lump of wood with metal hammered into it. If you get toothache during your stay in Kathmandu drive a nail into this wood to make it go away. Several more modern dentists are located...

Rani Pokhari

The Rani Pokhari pool and temple were built by King Pratap Malla to console his wife over the death of their son. There is a fence around the pool to keep people out as there were several suicides...

Freak Street

Freak street is the street where all the backpacker tourism to Nepal started in the 1960's. This was where all the hippies came to sit and smoke funny tobacco in exotic surroundings. The street used...

Shree Pashupatinath Temple

Visited two weeks before the famous Pashupatinath Temple at Kathmandu. Still we can say devastated structures outside the main temple entrance but I believe no nature fury can cause the damage to the...

Durbar Square

Kathmandu Durbar Square is a great place to visit within Kathmandu. It is full of unique arts and architecture. Home of world's only living goddess "Kumari" is in this square. Similarly, the...

Getting to Kathmandu

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map