Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Half-Day Tour of Old Manila
"Manila’s city tour starts with a visit to Rizal Park named in honor of the country’s national hero Dr. Jose Rizal. After a brief picture stop proceed to the Walled City of Intramuros to visit the remnants of Spain’s conquistadores. Stop at Fort Santiago an old Spanish fortress located at the mouth of Pasig River where great moments in Philippine history occurred. Travel through the cobbled streets to San Agustin Church the country’s oldest stone church
From $68.00

Private Half-Day Manila Tour by Jeepney
"Travel through the financial district of Makati passing down Ayala Avenue where gleaming skyscrapers stand cheek by jowl with less than distinguished-looking structures. As we approach the bustling metropolis of Manila drive past the cultural Center of the Philippines and on to Roxas Boulevard. Stop at Rizal Park named after the country’s nationalist hero Dr. Jose Rizal. Then proceed to the Walled City of Intramuros which was the nucleus of the old Spanish town. Venture into Fort Santiago in its strategic location overlooking the Pasig River and Manila Bay and stroll along its ramparts where once stood th Rajah Sulayman. Continue on to San Agustin Church the only church built within Intramuros that has survived the collective onslaught of numerous calamities including fire and war. Beside the church is a museum that houses a collection of manuscripts
From $87.00

Private Half-Day Manila City Tour
"Commence the tour from the financial district of Makati including Fort Bonifacio and the American Cemetery then move on to the city of Manila the country’s capital. Arrive at Rizal Park named in honour of the country’s national hero Dr. Jose Rizal. After a brief picture stop proceed to the historic Walled City of Intramuros. Travel through the cobbled streets of San Agustin Church the country’s oldest stone church and view its wide collection of ecclesiastical icons
From $52.00

People/Local Culture Tips (5)

in the car: check yourself in the mirror

On my way to dinner, there was some traffic in Santolan going down to Libis. Every time the car stopped, I checked myself out in the mirror. I'm vain...so what?! Finally I took a self pic. Ahh...will have to do...too late to go home and change....again!

May 06, 2003

Club Bamboleo: Ballroom Dancing

If you love to dance and want to learn how from the pros, you can hire a dance instructor and at the same time watch some of the pros practice inside the club. In this pic are my niece and nephew showing their form. They've been winning both latin and standard in the youth division in recent asian championships.

Dress Code No sneakers please. You'll want to be in dancing shoes.

Oct 17, 2002

People/Local Culture: Safety in Ermita, Manila.

I lived for three months over Xmas '07 in central Ermita in accom like Slouch Hat and Duck Inn.
I was never cheated or asked for money by beggers on the street. I did though have two invitations to be the mug in scams which I simply laughed at and walked on.
As for safety if you stick to main streets like Roxas Blvd and Padre st as I did mostly in the day and all night you will be fine. A good precaution is to make friends with the shotgun guards outside businesses. They kept an eye on me after a few days to see I was safe back to my hotel.
The best protection is your attitude. Don't look like a victim.
Head up and confident body language with an unhurried but purposeful walk will keep the baddies looking for an easier target.
I found the Filipinos in Ermita to be extremely friendly and helpful. To the extent that my planned one week stay extended to three months.
As for bars with no girls? I can only think of Gay bars. And if you don't like women you won't like the Philippines.

Dress Code Any.

shaenj's Profile Photo
shaenj
Jun 16, 2012

Find a Local Friend/Guide

Depends on what interests you ;-p
My best and only recommendation is for one to find a filipino friend who knows Manila well. This way you get to taste what the city really has to offer. If any of you ever get here, I wouldn't mind playing tour guide.
The Manila nightlife is quite diverse and offers tourists and locals alike everything from cheap beer to expensive champagne, a neighborhood karaoke bar to nightclubs where you can see and be seen (depends on what you like to see and who you want looking at you, too).

Dress Code Manila is quite cosmopolitan. In spite of the present economic situation and our being a 3rd world country, our major cities are as modern as the ones I've visited in other countries...so, people in Manila are up to date with fashion trends. Since sunny 27C weather is pretty much a given here, the dress code is casual trendy. Dress nicely and neatly...that always works anywhere.

Oct 05, 2002