Biliran Island Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Biliran Island

• biliran extortion attempt after tourists attacked

by ghostrider63 Written Jan 22, 2009

Hi fellow travellers.

Here's my horror travel story about Biliran Island. Just one of many I have encountered on the Island.

About 4 years ago I decided to settle with my Filipina wife here on Biliran island. Back then it was a peaceful place with only a few xpats living here. My wifes family are here. In that 4 years we have had no trouble except now things here are getting worse.

On Dec the 27th we were attacked by a gang of men whilst leaving a local resort.
    We were not drunk but our attackers were very drunk. We caught them stealing from our car.

The attackers even went to our house later terrorising our housemaid and children (who had ran home when the assault started).

We procceded to the police station, but our attackers were already there, saying I had attacked them.
    they wanted alot of money from me.

Beware that this is a common ploy in the Philippines. People attack you then run to the police claiming that the 'foreigner' started the fight. (Quite often the police here are offered 'graft' money or a percentage of the settlement costs).

This all happened in front of our children. Now I fear for my families lives as these are nasty people. They have even tried to prevent me from going back home to Australia.

This is not the first attack on foreigners on the island.

My friend who witnessed our attack was robbed by 4 men with guns about a year ago. This happened at 7.30 at night as he and his family were having dinner.

Biliran is a dangerous place for travel so please beware...

Phone: (0011 63) 09159456437

• Adventure Travel

Add to your Trip Planner

Instant Answers: Biliran Island

Comments

Biliran Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Biliran Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Biliran Island sightseeing.

View all Biliran Island hotels