Fondest memory Resting Place for Citizens
The kyonghuigung had been used as the main royal palace for the period of the reigning of ten kings since being built in 1617 by Prince Regent Gwanghae. Counted one of the three greatest palaces of the Choson Dynasty along with the Kyongbok and the Changgyong, it had included 98 structures like the Main Hall, the Crown Prince's Palace, the Detached Area, etc. However, only three of its original buildings remain today, and they are scattered around the city, as the Japanese colonists destroyed the palace almost completely from 1907 through 1910. It still keeps some vestiges of its splendid years, including the time-honored footsteps and the forest in the backyard.