Ella Restaurants

• Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Ella

Dream Cafe: Pizza

by jo104 Written Dec 23, 2012

I stayed at the guesthouse for 2 nights and as well as enjoying my breakfast here I also had dinner one evening. I opted for one of their pizza's which is cooked on a wood burning fire and is by far the most delicious pizza I have tasted in Sri Lanka it is cooked thin base like the Italians like it. It was rather large but I guiltily gobbled the whole thing down aided of course by a lion lager.

The dining area is set in a garden terraced area magically lit with fairy lights making this a charming and romantic place for an evening meal.

For breakfasts they serve a European menu with fresh fruit juice and best of all they have a coffee machine so you can enjoy a cuppachino or expresso.

Address: Main Street, Ella, Sri Lanka

Phone: 94 57 22 28950

Website: http://www.dreamcafeandguesthouseella.com/res.html

Down town Roti Hut: Roti

by jo104 Updated Dec 22, 2012

A small little cafe style roti hut, all fronted with glass and you can watch your food being prepared right in front of your very eyes. I enjoyed Paratha (thin roti) with a beef curry the first time I visited. They also do roti rolls speciality unusual fillings like cheese, honey and banana.
    They serve kottu roti which is a Tamil dish which is chopped roti mixed with egg, vegetable and any meat you desire and then listen to the clang clang sound of the blades preparing your food.

I did want to try the hoppers on the morning that I departed but unfortunately, for a small village where people get up early to start walks before the mist sets in, breakfast service starts a bit late I was told 8am availability.

Address: Main Street, Ella, Sri Lanka

Ella Village Restaurant: Rice and Curry

by jo104 Updated Dec 23, 2012

I visited this ou restaurant on a stormy evening and was well pleased I did what a warm welcome I received from the owner who is also the cook. It is a small family run business and the owner is also the cook, everything is freshly prepared.

A good rice & curry takes a bit of time to prepare and it is a good idea to place your order an hour or so in advance for when you wish to eat, but if you just turn up you will still be able to enjoy a delicious meal.

The rice & potato comes wrapped in a banana leaf and then the other dishes in little separate bowls. I asked specially for the famous garlic curry and then also chicken curry. It was accompanied by aubergine, pappadum, plantain (banana), pol sambal, beans and dahl with a mango chutney.

All the dishes were excellent and as it was a quiet evening I invited Mr Nadun to sit with me and we had a great chat. He also has 4 rooms a stone throw away from the restaurant called Aurora Bungolow.

I was so full I never got to try the banana and honey fritters other guests rave about so if you do go remember to order these and make me jealous!

Address: 73 Bandarawella rd, Ella

Directions: 1st restaurant on the right hand side as you come into Ella from Nuwar Eliya

Phone: +94 572228685

Website: http://ellavillage@slt.net

• jo104's Profile Photo

Cafe Chill: cafe chill (formerly the nescoffee bar)

by jo104 Updated Mar 22, 2015

During my 4 days I stayed in Ella I spent everyday chilling at the Nescoffee bar which is now being rebranded as Cafe Chill. Downstairs is a juice and cocktail bar with funky seating where you can enjoy a smoothie or a tasty margaritta. The terraced area is ideal for people watching and it is here where you can surf the net on high speed wifi or use one of the terminals. They have a coffee machine and serve cappucinno, latte and espresso. The boys make a mean cocktail super tasty and decent strength.

Upstairs is a further chill out area with beanbags relax here for sundowners and do some star gazing into the evening cause this is indeed the one place in Ella that does not close early .

The restaurant has an open kitchen always a plus when you dine as it is kept super clean and the chefs are well very cheffy! Food prices are extremely reasonably and there is a nice variety.

The staff are very helpful but the person who makes this place is the owner and manager Dash he is the kind of guy who goes out of his way to make sure you have the best possible visit to Ella. He has many connections with the village and can arrange bike hire and much more.

If you are looking for a funky yet chilled out vibe then this is the place to be. The walls are filled with stunning murals painted by travellers who have passed through Ella. Chill out tunes and sometimes if there is an international event like the football world cup they will televise the event like when I was there.

Favorite Dish: From Sandwiches and wraps to Sri Lankan curries as well as the more westernised hamburgers, pizza and steak.

Address: wellawaya rd ella sri lanka

Website: https://www.facebook.com/cafechillnescoffeeshop

Darsh the owner breakfast omlette and fresh juice
    • Singles

Dream Cafe: Live the Dream

by planxty Written Apr 30, 2016

I stated on another tip on this page regarding Cafe Chill that it was my favourite place in Ella and that is true but it could so easily have been otherwise. The reason I started frequenting Chill was that it was recommended to me by VT member and good friendJo who was living in Sri Lanka at the time and knew Darshan the owner. Had she recommended Dream Cafe then I suspect that is where I would have spent the majority of my time.

To be honest, there is very little to choose between the two establishments as they cater to much the same clientele (i.e. predominantly travellers), serve more or less the same menu and drinks at more or less the same prices, have the same excellent standards of service with all the waiters speaking fluent English in the same spotless surroundings. Both have upstairs areas which are excellent for people watching in the main (only) street below.

They really are competing for the same market and both seem to be doing well but the interesting thing is that the two premises, which are actually adjacent, are owned by two brothers. Just to complete the family tree their Father runs the bakery down the street and their sister has just opened a hotel up the street so they really do seem to have the village pretty well sewn up.

If I was pushed to point out differences in the two businesses it would be that the surroundings in Chill are a little more Bohemian in appearancewith Dream being a little more minimalist modern in it's decor and Dream seems to have a slightly more upbeat musical policy.

Yet again this is a tip that would easily fit in the "Things to do", "Restaurant" or even "Nightlife" categories but, as I have eaten there a few times I have decided that it best sits here.

The menu is fairly extensive and starts at breakfast with Sri Lankan full breakfast offered as well as variations on curd, fresh fruit and so on. Should you crave something Western then there is French toat and even bacon rolls on offer. Moving on in the day it is a standard travellers venue menu (did you like the little piece of poetry there?) with pizzas, pasta, wraps and paninis covering the "snack" menu although they all look fairly substantial to one like myself with the appetite of a small bird!

If you fancy something even more substantial there is an equally enticing range. Starters are as diverse as coconut stuffed with seafood and prawn cocktail and French onion soup with croutons. Mains include fish and chips, grilled tuna, a mixed grill that looks like it might defeat the most dedicated trencherman, lemon chicken breast, peppered steak and even tempura with a tamarind sauce which sounds interesting although I have not yet sampled it. There is a decent selection of desserts, soft drinks (smoothies, fruit juices etc.) on offer so there should be something for everyone.

On my latest trip to Ella I only ate here once. Much as I adore Sri Lankan cuisine (and I do, believe me) there are occasions when I just fancy something Western and this was one such day. It is strange that I would very, very rarely eat a burger of any variety at home and yet I find myself craving them occasionally on the road. I am sure someone can explain. Actually, Dream only offer three options for the burger menu which I found a little surprising given the popularity of the foodstuff. This included a veggie burger with peanut butter which is not something I had ever thought about but might have a go at when I return to my own kitchen.

I opted instead for the Fish Burger served with ketchup and tartare sauce which, when it arrived was evidently home-made and very good too. The burger itself was excellent and did take a little while to arrive but the first bite indicated why and made it well worth the wait. This is not fast food, this is very good food served as fast as they can cook it. None of your MacDonald's Filet O' compressed, frozen, bleached, unwanted offcuts garbage here. I reckon chef had done the whole thing from scratch as the Cafe was not overly busy so the kitchen should not have been stretched. A steak of beautiful firm white fish was encased in a light, crispy and most importantly, dry batter served in a griddled sesame bun with a small side salad and some chips which were actually more like wedges. The chips were similarly dry and cooked perfectly. Believe me, I am from Northern Ireland and I know a thing or two about potatoes!

OK, I know it is only a Fishburger and chips and not haute cuisine but I have always been of the opinion that simple food done well is easily the equal of all your veloutes and champagne foams and whatever other ludicrous cheffy terms I don't know a la Heston Blumenthal and the rest. This was done extremely well.

It would hardly be a planxty tip without an apology of some sort, so here it is. I had thought that I had the images of my last Sri Lankan trip on this computer but apparently I do not. That would have afforded me the opportunity to describe some of the other dishes I have enjoyed here and I have indeed enjoyed them. I have never had a bad meal in Dream Cafe. I shall update this tip on my return home.

One final thing to note that I have mentioned elsewhere on my Sri Lankan pages is how inaccessible the country is for the mobility impaired. I don't know if it is by accident or design but there is a ramp down from the small carpark albeit a little steep. That may provide access to the lower bar for a wheelchair or a baby buggy although the upstairs bar is a non-starter in that respect.

An excellent place and, as I say, had circumstances been different, who knows?

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: As mentioned int he main body of the text I shall update this when I have access to my old data but in the mantine the Fishburger and chips stands as an excellent favourite from this esotablishment and may indeed remain so after the update, it really was very, very good.

Address: Main Highway, Ella 90090.

Directions: Going up the hill it is about 200 yards up form the main (only) junction, beside Chill Cafe and almost opposite the Bank.

Phone: +94 57 2 228950

Website: http://www.dreamcafeandguesthouseella.com/

Food, Dream Cafe, Ella.
    • Wine Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Chill cafe: My favourite place in Ella.

by planxty Written Apr 29, 2016

I should start this piece by saying that there are many excellent places to eat and drink in Ella as it really is very much geared to the traveller despite being a relatively small place but Cafe Chill has to be my favourite. If you have been to Ella more than two years ago you may also know this establishment as Nescoffee as it was rather confusingly double named and with signs to match but it is now officially just Cafe Chill. Again this is a tip that would easily fit in the "Things to do", "Restaurant" or even "Nightlife" categories but, as I have eaten there many times I have decided that it best sits here.

I first "discovered" Chill on my first visit to the village in 2014 athough I cannot claim the credit for that as it was recommended to my by VT member and good friendJo who was living in Sri Lanka at the time and knew Darshan the owner. Local knowledge, as is so often the case, proved to be a very useful tool as it really is an excellent place. This was proved by the fact that I set up my VTHQ there last time and again this time in 2016. To explain that slightly obscure statement, if I stay any length of time in a place I generally try out a few of the local hostelries and then decide on one where I will spend large amounts of time mostly drinking beer, trying in vain to keep my VT pages up to date and eating occasionally.

The very first thing to note about Cafe Chill is the genuine warmth of the welcome and friendliness of the staff, all of whom speak good English incidentally. This goes way beyond the normal "if I'm nice to you, you will leave me a good tip" sort of mentality and I have even been invited to private parties with the guys (no female staff at all) after hours. A brief anecdote should suffice to illustrate the case. I wandered in unannounced on my return trip and was imediately "mobbed" by the waiters, most of who were unchanged from the previous visit. One of the guys who always works behind the bar whipped out his mobile (cell) 'phone and showed me a picture he had taken of me on my previous visit. Another waiter asked me, totally unprompted, if I wanted an Americano and a glass of arrack (local firewater) which is my usual start to the day. That shows you how good they are.

Chill is a fairly large establishment, semi-open at the front and with a large dining area to the rear but you really should not miss the little "loft" up a flight of stairs and furnished with beanbags which is a great place to chill, not surprisingly given the name. Pleasant as it is I usually give it a miss as beanbags are not a good option for a late middle aged man with a bad back. I can get into them all right, it is the getting up again that is the problem, especially fter a few Lion lagers!

The whole cafe is always immaculate and very comfortable. Despite the size, it can get packed at luncthime when many of the local tour guides bring their clients here for lunch and it can be even worse in the evenings when you may well have to wait a while for a table, it really is that popular. Whilst it is predominantly a travellers establishment there are usually a few Sri Lankans there as well.

As you are sitting enjoying a drink from the extensive selection of local and imported spirits, cocktails (try some of the arrack based offerings), wines, beers and a totally mouth-watering array of soft drinks (fruit juices, smoothies, milkshakes and the like) have a look round you at some of the wonderful artwork on the walls which were all done in 2014 as well as the corporate branding, menus and the like, by a wonderful Australian artist called Louise Macauley.

Whilst Louise and I have each others email addresses we had lost touch a bit and so it was with great delight that I heard an unmistakeable Australian voice shouting "Fergy" one evening a I was busy typing and there she was, back to do a large sign for the roof. Talk about coincidence. I should say that on the previous occasion when I was there, her husband and I had sat and watched the T20 cricket world championships and drunk a lot of beer whilst the poor lady was working her ears off but she did not seem to mind.

Entertainment is provided by a large screen TV in the front bar area and the usual piped music which tends to be very much of the chillout variety and appears to be provided by a radio station called Chill FM but I am sure that is purely coincidental as I don't think they have the werewithal to run their own station. The TV tends to show the usual Sri Lankan mix of sport if there is anything of interest on and always cricket if there is any and Animal Planet which I have noted elsewhere seems to be the station of choice for watering holes in the country. Additionally there is the almost obligatory wifi which generally has an excellent speed during the day but can slow a bit in the evening rush when it seems that just about everyone in the premises is using it.

As I have chosen to put this tip in the restaurant section I suppose I should tell you about the food. In a word, it is excellent. There appears to be a brigade of about 10 or a dozen (again all young males) under the supervision of what appears to be a very knowledgeable chef. They are always immaculately turned out and work in a spotless open kitchen which is always a plus point in my book. The menu is extensive starting with breakfasts (Western and Sri Lankan) and moving on through a huge selection of pizzas, pastas, fantstic desserts, panninis, sandwiches, burgers, Western mains and just about every type of Sri Lankan dish you could ever want. The lamprais and ubiquitous rice and curry are both very good. Lamprais is also known as Lampreys or Lumprice and consists of various types of dry curries, sambols and a deep fried boiled egg all wrapped and served in a banana leaf and it is delicious.

All the bread is baked freshly on the premises. I should mention that the pizzas are fairly large so bring your appetite! I also know that the food is extremely fresh here as I go there fairly early sometimes and watch a procession of local suppliers coming in with all sorts of produce.

The kitchen is open 1000 - 2200 daily and the bar remains open until 2359.

The toilets are immaculate if not large and the whole place is kept running smoothly by Darshan's uncle (a charming man) when he is not there. In short, I can find nothing negative to say about Cafe Chill. My feelings about the place are probably best summed up by the fact that I decided to award it one of my fairly limited annual quota of Virtual Tourist stickers as you can see in one of the images of Darshan, Louise the artist and myself. I do not have an image of it having been "deployed" as Darshan told me he would get a special frame made up to mount it!

Very highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: This is a very difficult choice as all the food is so good but I would probably have to go for the lamprais as described above

Address: Wellewaya - Kumbalwela Highway, Ella 90090.

Directions: Walking up the hill it is aobut halfway up on the right beside Dream Cafe.

Website: https://www.facebook.com/cafechillnescoffeeshop

Cafe Chill, Ella, Sri Lanka. Food, Cafe Chill, Ella, Sri Lanka. planxty's breakfast, Cafe Chill, Ella, Sri Lanka. Cocktail, Cafe Chill, Ella, Sri Lanka. VT presentation, Cafe Chill, Ella, Sri Lanka.
    • Wine Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Fish & Chips restaurant: Average food, appalling service.

by planxty Written May 3, 2016

I remember eating in Fish & Chips on my fist visit to Ella in 2014 and whilst it was acceptable it was nothing to write home about and certainly nowhere near the top of the pile of rather good restaurants in the village. The reason that I returned on my current trip was a common one for me, it was the only place I could get a beer! I was visiting over the Sinahala / Tamil New Year period in early April and just about everything closed down for up to four days even though there are only two official holidays. I had exhausted all my usual haunts and was wandering past here when I saw a couple of travellers sitting outside wth cold looking bottles of Lion Lager. Happy days.

I strolled in and ordered a beer. Not a chance. Aopparently I had to order food to get a beer although I am not sure if this is a legal requirement or just them capitalising on their monopoly position. I was not really hungry as I have no appetite in the heat of the day in tropical climates but I thought a snack would do no harm and ordered the cheese omelette as a safe option. My stomach had been playing me up a touch and I didn't fancy risking anything too spicy.

The beer arrived, nice and cold, and a while later the omelette accompanied by a four slices of something that was having an identity crisis about whether it wanted to be bread or toast. The image hopefully gives some idea. The omelette was fine but what really can you do to a cheese omelette when even I can make a reasonable fist of cooking one? I knew it would be well salted as is the local way but I do like a bit of pepper with my food and had to ask for it as there were neither condiments on the table nor provided with the meal. The waiter arrived back with the pepper and an expression that told me this was not going terribly well.

About halfway through the meal I had finished the first beer and ordered another which was served with the same ill-grace. I know certain countries have a reputation for the surliness of their waiters and I suspect some even take a secret delight in it but Sri Lanka is not one of those places. Certainly service may be erratic at times but a look at any of my pages on this wonderful country will reveal numerous references to the friendly and hospitable nature of the people, waiters included. Many have gone out of their way to ensure my meal was as enjoyable as it could be and I thank them for it. Fish and Chips may just be the exception that proves the rule.

I certainly wasn't dawdling over my meal or beer but obviously not moving fast enough for this clown. He strode over to my table , lifted the still half full bottle and then plonked it back down on the table none too gently with a grunted, "Table, finish". I took this to be a question and explained to him that no, I was not finished by any means. It is funny that his English seemed so much more fluent when he was taking my order or explaining to me that I could not have a beer on it's own.

I emptied the rest of the beer into my glass, drained most of it and went to use the facilities. When I returned I was amazed to find my unemptied glass and the bottle gone with the bill sitting there. Unbelievable and so atypical of the country.

Needless to say this lone incident has not put me off Ella at all and it remains my favourite place (so far) in what is one of my favourite countries on the planet. It was regrettable but it could have happened anywhere.

I had debated putting this tip in the Tourist trap section but I thought that it sat better here in Restaurants where potentialy more people could see it. I know this place is very popular with travellers and gets good reviews online but I have always attempted to report honsetly here and I can only write about what happened to me. As always it is up to the reader to make up their own mind but I shall certainly never set foot across the door again. In a village with so many excellent eating options, there simply is no need.

Favorite Dish: The omelette was OK.

Directions: Going up the hill from the main (only) junction, it is about fifty yards on the right.

Fish & Chips restaurant, Ella. Fish & Chips restaurant, Ella. Food, Fish & Chips restaurant, Ella.

Cafe Chill: Cooking Classes

by jo104 Written Mar 22, 2015

Learn how to make six Sri Lankan curries with expert chefs at 9.30am and enjoy eating them later for lunch. When I was there in June 2014 the price was only LKR1500 which is very reasonable. The kitchen is exceptionally clean and it is all open plan. I never did a class but the guests who did looked like they enjoyed it. I have tasted te rice and curry and it is very tasty.

Address: Wellawaya Road, Ella

Website: https://www.facebook.com/cafechillnescoffeeshop

happy customers outside sign board passion fruit cocktail dining area

Curd and Honey: Breakfast or a snack

by jo104 Updated Mar 22, 2015

Curd is made from buffalo milk which is fermented and as it is higher in fat it gives it a thick consistency. The curd is usually served in clay pots and stays edible for several days prolonged by cooling in the fridge.

This restaurant serves curd with kithul treacle which is sweeter then honey and cheaper then honey. The food served here is acceptable good for breakfast enjoy fresh fruits with curd or other sri lankan breakfast delicacies. The seating is indoor and outdoor a nice place to people watch and reasonably priced.

Address: main road Ella

• planxty's Profile Photo

Down Town Rotti Hut: Decent place, great rotti and a lot more.

by planxty Written May 3, 2016

This is yet another tip I should have written in 2014 and never quite got round to for which I apologise as I apologise for the paucity of images, the majority of which are on another computer back at home. Well, it would hardly be a planxty tip without an apology of some sort, would it? I am composing it now on my return trip to Ella in 2016 and it will be fairly scant on food details but I shall update this on my return home to hopefully give a full flavour (pun absolutely intended) of the fare on offer as I know I have images that will jog my aging brain into some sort of memory. OK, be honest, can you remember what you had for dinner on a particular day over two years ago?

Apologies duly offered, I'll get on to the tip. The clue is in the name, Down Town Rotti Hut, it is downtown i.e. at the bottom of the hill and just beside the (only) major road juction in town. It is on the right as you head uphill and you really cannot miss it.

Firstly, to call it a hut is somethng of a nisnomer as it is one of the larger places in town, on two levels with plenty of tables. It is clean and tidy and offers comfortable surroundings for your meal.

I know it is a cariacature of backpackers (true though it is) but some of them just live on banana pancakes or, as is more popular in Sri Lanka, banana rottis. I am not of that variety and have sampled quite a lot of wonderful Sri Lankan food of all types (as I hope I have shown on my various Sri Lanka pages) but there are times when a banana rotti is absolutely called for and this was one of these occasions. It was ordered up, along with the requisite Lion Lager, and appeared shortly thereafter by a charming waiter.

I fully understand there is little you can do to mess up a banana rotti especially if your stock in trade is rotti but this was as good as I have had. I am sure my dear friend and resident VT chef Mr. Gayton will attest to this. Haute cuisine is fine and I have been lucky enough to have sampled it occasionally (the offering from Anton Mossiman at his now closed Allium in London springs to mind) but it is another mantra of mine that simple food with fresh ingredients done simply and well is the equal of it. Any professional chef I have ever met agrees. Strange perhaps to be talking about M. Mossiman in a tip about a such a humble dish in the middle of Sri Lankan hill country but that is the way my mind works and unusually for me I make no apology for it.

Whilst the rotti in all it's myriad forms is obviously the star here there is an extensive menu of all the other things you would expect to find in this traveller orientated village. Chinese and Western both feature and there is the usual extensive selection of drinks.

If you merely wanted to read about the food etc, you may want to leave now as I am gong to get anecdotal again.

One other thing I should mention about DTRH (as the capitals on the menu seem to want us to refer to it by acronym), they do have live music at the weekends and here goes another little planxty tale. One Saturday evening my good friend Damal, whom I have mentioned elsewhere on my Ella tips, and I were wandering about town vaguely in the direction of my hotel. I have no idea why he thinks I need "minding" but he does, bless him. We had just about cleared the "fleshpots" of Ella and were on the home stretch when we walked past here and heard music coming from upstairs that was obviously not of the recorded variety.

In we go, up the back stairs (which I didn't even know existed) and into the very pleasant upstairs restaurant / bar area where a good sized crowd were listening to a very accomplished local troubadour. For those of you unsure of the term, a troubadour is basically a solo artist with an instrument (these days usually a guitar) who is doing their thing. I have done it many times but I much prefer the security of a band. The guy onstage was making a very good fist of Western, country / easy listening / soft rock classics and I certainly enjoyed his set.

After a while, Damal excused himself and I thought he was going to the toilet. Wrong. He returned a few minutes later to tell me that I was doing a set after the proper musician had finished. No pressure then! I really wish he would bloody ask me first. The place was pretty packed on a holiday New Year) weekend night and it was a slightly nervous planxty that took the stage "at the death". I know this is a muso thing and probably has no place whatsoever in a restaurant tip on VT but, since I stopped travel blogging, I use VT as somewhat of a repository for my travel memories and I feel I can combine both functions here. Playing in such conditions not only smacks of "blagging" another musicians hard work over the course of an evening but can also fall flat on it's face more times than not.

He did his last number, waved me up, said something in Sinhala and then gave me his really very nice guitar which I thought was extremely generous of him. A quick 30 seconds as a soundcheck showed nothing was in need of change and so I launched in. I basically continued what he had been doing (i.e. Western soft standards) and did about a 40 minute set which was thoroughly enjoyable and seemed to go down well.

Again, I stress this is not really relevant to the premises as a restaurant but I do recommend it as such and, as stated above, I shall update the tip as and when possible.

The food here is great and the music equally so (when planxty is not in town)!

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: I now I have eaten well before but cannot remember the deatails as described above. The banana rotti was excellent.

Directions: Coming uhill from the main (only) junction it is about 20 yards on the right hand side.

Phone: +94 (0)57 222 8615

Food, Down Town Rotti Hut, Ella. Menu, Down Town Rotti Hut, Ella.
    • Music

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

???: Local restaurant

by Sambawalk Written Feb 23, 2006

I had my lunch at this restaurant next to the telecom shop. Name?? I forgot. The fried rice with fish curry costs Rs200. Coke Rs40. Take note that it takes a long time for preparation of Sri Lanka food. For this dish, it took 25 mins to prepare.

Address: Main road

Fired rice

Instant Answers: Ella

Comments

Ella Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ella restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ella sightseeing.