Map &

Calypso Cabaret Show Ticket
From JPY3,300.00

Cycling Tips (14)

Cycling in a Lush, Green Area a Stone's Throw Away

I'm talking about a not-too-well-known place the locals call "pig stomach" in Thai, or what the Tourism Authority of Thailand would prefer: "The Lungs of Bangkok". Specifically, the area south of Bangkok, just across the river, called Phra Pradaeng (a district of Samut Prakan province) or Khung Bang Kachao, which is an island made up of six subdistricts. Look at Google Maps and you'll see how green the island is (yes, it is an island due to a canal that cuts through the neck of the loop in the river).

Khung Bang Kachao is a great place to cycle. During the week, you can just about have the place to yourself, as so much of the population heads across to Bangkok to work. The weekends are busier due to the floating market at Bang Namphueng.

There are many kilometers of raised concrete paths that thread through the island under the palm trees. There are a few websites that show how to ride a loop on the roads, but the best way to see and learn the most about the island in a short amount of time is to go for a guided bike tour. There are many bicycle tour companies that start in Bangkok, ride for a while to the pier at Khlong Toey, cross by long-tail boat, tour the island very quickly, then return.

There are tours, however, that start at the Bangkok Tree House (an eco-friendly resort on the island) and spend 100 percent of the time touring only the island. They are the best deal in town at 800 baht/person (for two or more on the tour; 1000 baht if only one; children 12 and under who ride on their own are 400 baht/person). The bicycles are each beautiful, one-of-a-kind creations that are designed specifically for the area. The tour groups are usually very small, so the routes are flexible, depending on riders' skills, riding speed, and interests. Though the tours are based out of the Bangkok Tree House, the tours are open to anyone, not just resort guests.

This really is one of those hidden secrets.

Paul_the_Seeker's Profile Photo
Jun 09, 2014

Bangkok by bicycle -a different perspective

I was looking for an alternative way of exploring Bangkok so that I could hopefully get a different perspective on this amazing city. I came across a company called Spice Tours who offer a number of cycle tours that take in the countryside in and round Bangkok

Booking was very easy via their website I opted for a day tour of the Bangkok countryside which was a mixture of cycling along the Klong San Saeb as well as along the dirt roads that passed through the paddy fields and surrounding countryside. I was picked up early from my hotel and taken by minibus out of the city to our starting point. The cycles were well maintained and helmets were provided, after a safety briefing we were off cycling through areas that I wold never have seen had I not opted for a tour like this. Sections along the canal enabled us to see something of life alongside here and then we ventured further out into the countryside. Our guide was excellent and really added something to the trip especially when we stopped along the way to buy local snacks. We were supported by a minibus and there was plentiful supply of cold bottled water. We stopped for a leisurely lunch at a riverside restaurant and as a vegetarian, I was we'll catered for. All in all we cycled approximately 40km during he day and I was so impressed with the tour that I booked a second tour with them that also took in the floating market.

CEP1863's Profile Photo
Apr 01, 2013

Green Bangkok Bike Project

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration offer you a Free Bangkok Bike Tour
Borrow (Free) Bangkok bike from 8 service counters around Rattanakosin Area
1. Grand Palace
2. National Theatre
3. Tourism Division
4. Santichai Prakan Public Park (Phra Sumen Fort)
5. Sip Sam Hang Rd. (Near Wat Boworn)
6. Bangkok City Hall
7. Saranrom Park
8. Tha Tien

Week day : 10:00 am. – 06.00 pm.
Weekend : 10:00 am. – 08.00 pm.
From now to April 2009

For more info please contact: Tourism Division 17/1 Phra Arthit Rd.
Phranakorn District, Bangkok 10200
Tel. 0 2225 7612-14

explore_discover's Profile Photo
Feb 26, 2010

Cycling in Bangkok

We selected "ABC Amazing Bangkok Cyclist" for a cycling tour of 18 km. Almost all participants were Dutch, which was not surprising for a country where everyone loves cycling. It was a beautiful day without rain and we saw many place where we would normally not come.

We cycle through norrow alleys, a market, the harbour and the countryside. We cross the river to the countryside with a long tail boat. The tour is a nice experience and interesting to everyone that likes cycling. I would recommend this company to all cycling fans.

FilipDemuinck's Profile Photo

267 Soi Sukhumvit 31, North Klongtan, Wattana, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
74 Sukhumvit Road, Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Nana Nua), Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
981 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500, Thailand
204 Ratchadapisek Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok, 10320, Thailand
1627 / 2 Latkrabang Road, between Soi Latkrabang 11 and 13, Bangkok, 10520, Thailand

Cycling in Bangkok & Contryside

Hello Wendy,

If you like the activity outdoor. I have someplace that I'd recommended you to go. It's cycling tour in Bangkok & Countryside. I've been there twice time when I was in Bangkok and I like that so much, If I have time to go to Bangkok I think I will do it again. If you like to know more how about it you can check at there website here :

Hope it help

Aug 14, 2008

Cycling in Bangkok & Contryside

Try this one, it's highly recommended too. This tour takes you to more remote village that you thought you were so far away from Bangkok. I was blown away when I visit local and chat schoolchildren in their classroom. Especially, if you are native English speaker, these kids need your help to practice their English. For one reason, the school cannot hire the English teacher because the cost is too high.
You will also surrounded by rice paddies and other farms.

Seriously, it's worth recommended.

I went there… it.

Look at here:_

Contact details:
Tel: + 66 (87) 0779696, +66(89) 145 4409 (Outside Thailand)
087 0779696, 089 145 4409 (Within Thailand)

May 15, 2008

Bicycle tour in Bangkok & Countryside

Run by The beauty and originality of this tour is not only the cycling through amazing countryside, rice field and true Thai life, but also participating in the community life. ABSOLUTE EXPLORER have fluent Thai & English guide (native Thai) which allow the traveler to connect and get deep inside the Thai culture. These are rare opportunities to feel the real Thai life and culture. The traveler will learn about Thai flora, fruit and vegetable, he will eat inside a Thai family with a quality home cook meal. He will have the opportunity to talk to villager, stop alone the way and maybe some rice grain with the farmers in rice field. When possible the traveler will be able to go on the local school and meet the children who are eager to meet foreigner and learn English a genuine hospitality. ABSOLUTE EXPLORER BICYCLE TOUR is wonderful and unique away from mass tourism. It still so rare to find in the tourism industry an operator like Absolute Explorer that will make you fell like a local not a tourist, yet providing a flawless organization. One of the best tours you can do in Bangkok and countryside

piwiw's Profile Photo
Feb 27, 2008

Biking & Cycling around Bangkok, THAILAND

Biking in Chom Thong and Samut Sakhon area where is unseen in Thailand and worth for sight-seeing.

Chom Thong “The original living along beautiful canal, The various garden and the numerous of centuries temples”
We Begin cycling around Chom Thong area where is Thai original living along Klong Dan sweet canal and beside local railway. Riding through the shade of various plants and gardens. Visiting at Wat Rachaoros the respectful centuries temple with Chinese architecture.

Samut Sakhon “A town was established in 1548 at the mouth of Tha chin river. A major fishing port, The largest brine salt farm”
We catch a local train to Mahachai Market Thailand’s largest traditional fresh seafood market where located 30Km from Bangkok. Across river by ferryboat to Tha Chalom a large fishing village. Cycling by 10Km to Ao Mahachai Mangrove Forest around Tha Chin estuary.

bkkcyc's Profile Photo
Jan 19, 2008

"Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

View Member

"tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
syllybabe's Profile Photo

"Heightened Senses X 2"
thedouglas's Profile Photo

"Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""

Biking & Cycling around Rattana Kosin island

Biking around These places are a lot of attractions. It save your time and save a lot of your money. You can stop and parking your bicycle anywhere for your sightseeing or photos take.

You can also see the details for your travel at:

bkkcyc's Profile Photo
Jan 19, 2008

Cycling in Floating Market

This area is a dream to ride through. Starting with quick visit to Damnoen Saduak floating market, the biggest most colourful in Thailand, we take a longtail boat ride through a maze of canals cutting through local villages and various plantations. This eye-opening boat ride offers a glimpse of Thailand of old where local people are going about their daily life with the canal as the focal point.

What do we see?

Temples, canals, orchards, more temples, more canals, people but hardly any cars. Depending on the season, you will see grapes, lychee, pomelo, guava and coconuts ripe for picking. This is a fascinating area just waiting to be explored. Many temples have long been favoured by Royalty and you visit Wat Amphawan Chetiyaram, which was constructed by the princess mother of Somdet Phra Amarintharamat and birthplace of King Phra Phutta Lertla, Rama II. See Wat Bang Kung, a quirky temple held up by a huge banyan tree, where you step inside to see a Buddha image. Also visit the exceptional carved temple of Wat Bang Kae Noi where the inside of the Wat has carved panels depicting the story of the enlightenment of Buddha.

What is the riding like?

This is a gentle 32-km ride along country back roads, nice flat canal paths and plantation trails, we ride quiet back roads and jeep trails. Stopping often at points of interest, the riding is at a leisurely pace and suitable for anyone.

spiceroads's Profile Photo
Sep 26, 2007

biking tour Absolute Explorer Bangkok countryside

I recently went on this fantastic bicycle tour in and around Bangkok. The company Absolute Explorer takes you first to the amazing small streets of BKK around the local markets, then you embark on a local train for a short 1 hr ride to the countryside where you continue your bicycling tour. The reason this tour is so good is because of the human experience and the interaction with the Thai villager and kids. You will bicycle at a very easy relax pace amongst the rice fields you will stop for lunch (surprisingly good ) in the head of the village house (very rarely one is able to penetrate into a house and experience how people really leave.), you will eat coconut from the trees.
Next stop, I went to a local school. I had brought the kids some color pencils and other things to donate to the school. The kids love the interaction with the foreigner as they do not see them often. I felt I have done something useful and brighten my and their day. I spoke about my country in their classroom to improve their English.
Now this is only possible because of the Thai guide who speak perfect English and able to interact with the local people . I felt I was not just a tourist passing by, as the guide made us involve all the time being the link between us and the local. For example I stopped along the way and the Thai farmer asked me to plant the rice for them and with great humor asked me to come back for the harvest as well
Because the communication was constant I not only enjoyed the countryside and the cycling but got a real idea of Thai culture, I loved the interaction between me and the local . Too often us, tourist are used for our money and rushed there and there but with Absolute Explorer it was a rare time where I could get really close to the people and be appreciated as a person . This small village is not spoiled by tourism and that's why this experience was so great . visit

Bangkokexpat's Profile Photo
Sep 24, 2007

Bangkok traffic, here we come

I haven't been on a bike for some time but I still decided to try the bike tour. Quite a challenge on some distances - crossing Bangkok traffic, biking on sidewalks, dodging potholes and avoiding swampy waters. And it was all worth it.

ghene's Profile Photo
Dec 07, 2005

Things To Do Near Bangkok

Mahakan Fort

after the sack of ayuthaya and the fall of the ayuthaya empire to the burmese in the 17th century. the present Chakri Dynasty became the leader of thailand and to defend the new capital of bangkok...

Calypso Cabaret

Live cabaret, theater and ladyboy show twice a night at The Asia Hotel in Bangkok. Featuring beautiful Thai dancers and stunning, stage designs that create scenes from around the world. It is a...

Democracy Monument

Monument commemorating the student protest that led to the establishment of Democracy in Thailand. Today the monument would be somewhat ironic given the military coops that have marked the divisive...

Wat Traimit

Wat Traimit is the location of the world's largest gold Buddha. Known as Sukhothai Traimit Gold Buddha, it stands over 15 feet in height and has a 12 feet diameter. The Buddha is made of solid good...

Temple of the Golden Buddha - Wat Traimit

Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha One of the famous temple in Bangkok "Wat Traimit" - The Temple of the Golden Buddha (the statue of Buddha is made from solid gold weighting 5.5 tons)....

Safari World

Safari World Safari World is one of the famous Zoo little outside of Bangkok. Its better to go to take a taxi or Bus from Victory Monument and after a taxi from there to Safari...

Getting to Bangkok

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!