Map &

Calypso Cabaret Show Ticket
From JPY3,300.00

Trains Tips (23)

Bangkok to Vientiane

The train runs only to Nong Khai, near the border, from where you change to a bus. you could also go by bus (either via Nong Khai or direct, more expensive), but the train is more comfortable (sleeper) or cheaper (seat) than the bus.

Jul 31, 2016

From Bangkok to Poipet (Cambodia)

Da estação Hua Lamphong parte, diariamente, um comboio às 05:55 para Aranya Pratet, com chegada por volta do meio-dia. Há outro comboio que parte mais tarde, mas não lhe permite chegar a Siem Reap no mesmo dia! De acordo com Lonely Planet, a viagem dura 5 horas, mas, no meu caso, levou mais tempo.
De Aranya Pratet há muitos triciclos motorizados para a fronteira Poipet.

From Hua Lamphong train station leaves a daily train at 05:55 to Aranya Pratet which arrives at about noon.
There is another train leaving later but you have no time enough to reach Siem Reap on the same day! According to Lonely planet the trip lasts 5 hours, but, in my case, I spent more time on train.
From Aranya Pratet there are many tuktuks to the Poipet border.

Bilhete / Fare
Comboio / Train: 48 baths
Triciclo / Tuktuk: 50-60 bahts.

From Bangkok to Laos

Uma boa maneira de viajar de Banguecoque para o Laos é de comboio noturno até Nong Khai. Depois, siga a sinalização pública até à fronteira, ponte da amizade.
Fiz essa viagem em vagão-cama com ar condicionado. Consegui dormir 4 horas.

A good way to travel from Bangkok to Laos is by night train until Nong Khai. Then, follow the sings until the border, friendship bridge.
I made this trip in an air-conditioned sleeper. I could sleep 4 hours.

Horário / Timetable
20:45 - 09:10

From Hua Lamphong to Don Mueang

Há muitos comboios suburbanos diários da estação central para o aeroporto Don Mueang. A viagem demora 50 a 60 minutos, dependendo do tipo de comboio.

There are many daily trains "commuter train" from central train station to Don Mueang airport. The trip lasts between 50 and 60 minutes depending on the train type.

Bilhete / Fare

267 Soi Sukhumvit 31, North Klongtan, Wattana, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
74 Sukhumvit Road, Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Nana Nua), Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
981 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500, Thailand
204 Ratchadapisek Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok, 10320, Thailand
1627 / 2 Latkrabang Road, between Soi Latkrabang 11 and 13, Bangkok, 10520, Thailand

By train from Bangkok to Trang, Ko Lipe, Ko Lanta

There are 2 trains from Bangkok to Trang (depart 17.05 and 18.30 arrive 8.05 and 10.31), the later and a bit slower Rapid has non aircon sleepers from 521 Baaht, the Express has aircon sleepers from 761 Baht (aircon is usualy to cold for my taste, but in low season, May to October, the only way to get to Koh Lipe is by speedboat from Pak Bara at around 11:30hrs), i had never problems getting a bed on the same day.
For a short time it was possible to book online, at the moment you can only check the timetable and prices.
In Trang (nice place if you have time to spend) next to the train station you see several places selling minibuses to Pak Bara for boats to Ko Lipe, and minibuses to Lo Lanta.

May 03, 2015

Traveling by train

Sometime ago it was possible to book online, at the moment you can only see the timetable...
on the pull down buttons Bangkok is on top, the other stations are unfortunately to the order of the Thai letters, it might be easier to go to "Download Timetable" and click on the for you relevant line then you get a old fashioned timetable, but this does not work for the northern line at the moment. If you go to "Timetable" you get only the times of the first and the last station, clicking on "Fares" gives you at the moment only the fares from the northern line in english, all the other lines only in Thai. (Hopefully this site will improve)
Second class sleeper is quite comfortable, but if it is aircon it might be quite cold.

May 03, 2015

Overnight Trains

If you want to know more about trains in Thailand, just visit the Main in Seat 61 website. I can't possibly give better advice. I can give personal experience - I took the overnight train to Butterworth. It's cheap, clean, safe and comfortable, and if you get a seat in the middle of the carriage you won't get bumped around too much in the night. The second class sleepers are fine, and you get two seats for one bed during the day part of the journey, so there's plenty of room. We found the people on board to be very friendly, and it was one of the most memorable moments of the trip. I still didn't get much sleep, though.

The tickets can get bought up pretty fast, especially first class, so it's best to buy them in advance. If you aren't in the country you can make use of a specialist travel agent who will pick up the tickets for you, typically for a small fee of a couple of euros. I booked through Royal Exclusive Travel, who were very friendly and efficient. I had the tickets waiting in my hotel before I had even arrived.

One small word of caution: Check the political situation before heading south to Malaysia overland. After booking my tickets I realised that the southern states had warnings against them for "all but essential travel" by the British Foreign Office. I did some background reading and figured that as the train only passed through Hat Yai, and there's been very little trouble there recently, I'd probably be ok. But situations can turn quickly, so do your own research.

antistar's Profile Photo
Mar 18, 2015

Thai Railways basically has 4 lines, the Northern, the Northeastern, the Eastern and the Southern which serve Nong Khai, Chiang Mai, Aranyaprathet, Ubon Ratchathani, and Had Yai. For long trips to Chaing Mai, Nong Khai and Had Yai it may be worth considering to take a sleeper train as it will save a night's accommodation charge. The trains are generally clean, safe and the staff courteous. For sleeper berths it is probably best to try and book a few days in advance, just to be sure of getting an available place. Around Thai New Year and other public holidays it will be difficult to find a ticket as many locals will be traveling.
There are first class and second class sleepers, both at reasonable prices.

Bangkok--Chiang Mai. Trains take between 12 and 15 hours depending on which one you are on, and prices are 900-1500 Baht depending on the sleeper class.

Bangkok --- Nong Khai Trains take 11-12 hours depending on which one you take. Sleepers are 800-1,300 Baht depending on the sleeper class.

Bangkok----Ubon Ratchathani Trains take 10-12 hours and sleepers cost 750-1,200 depending on the class.

Bangkok---Had Yai Trains take 16-18 hours, and prices for sleepers are 950-1,600 Baht depending on the class.

You should be able to figure everything out by looking at the three websites below.

davidjo's Profile Photo
Sep 20, 2014

"Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

View Member

"tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
syllybabe's Profile Photo

"Heightened Senses X 2"
thedouglas's Profile Photo

"Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""

Train travel

After faffing around for a couple of days before realising that the State railways do NOT sell tickets on their website, although they do give all the info on times and prices, I went and had a look at, a known expert on trains throughout the world. 5Have a look at the site just for fun, it's worth it the info that's on there. On the site they recommend using so I tried. After my trip and being back for a couple of weeks that makes it over 3 months and I'm still waiting for an answer from them. I gave up around the New Year and got in touch with Two days later I had a mail from staff saying no problem and which hotel and when would I like to go. I used my CC and within another two days I had my booking confirmed and pics of my tickets on an e-mail. Four days and all done and dusted. Admittedly they do take a commission for doing this (5€) but it was well worth it. You can of course go to the station and buy your tickets there, if you don't like using your CC on the 'net and hopefully the trains won't be full......Happened to a mate wanting to get out of Chiang Mai, booked solid for four days!!!! But I do recommend using their services, tickets were waiting at the hotel for us as planned.

pfsmalo's Profile Photo
Apr 01, 2014

A bus is much more faster than a train. I have done both and the train was more enjoyable, but much slower, like two hours longer. It is about four hours away and there is no need to pre-book unless you are coming up on a Thai holiday. I bought my ticket at the station...very simple and waited 45 minutes before I boarded the train and then waited ten minutes before it started rolling. Now that I know, by taking the bus, you board, you are there in less than two hours. Their drop off spot is just down the road from the rail road station..i say it is more coinvenant also. As I remember there is a train that leaves about every 90 minutes in that direction and points south after 12 noon.. It is a experience as the trains move through many little towns not seen on the road. There are some towns where the market is set up on and around the tracks, and when the slow moving train comes into the town, you can see the vendors pulling up their stalls and giving just enough room for the train to get by. The flood waters have receeded enough for train travel south and you shouldn't have a problem.
Here is a link to the schedule...>>> Thailand >>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you have the time, take the train, if in a hurry, take the bus....bus fare is about 128 bahts, I think the train is about the same.

cheers tommy x

xymmot's Profile Photo
Nov 17, 2011

Backpacker Express.

If you are heading North from Bangkok towards Chiang Mai, chances are you will take the overnight sleeper from Hualamphong Station in BKK. I was actually only going as far as Lampang, which is a couple of hours South of Chiang Rai, but I have done the complete journey before. There are buses which are quicker plying the same route but I prefer the train as it is a lot more comfortable, sociable and for the sheer enjoyment that train travel brings me.

Getting a ticket at Hualamphong is made very simple and my upper level, second class air-con bunk cost 734 baht. The train was due to leave at 1735 (it was late and even later on arrival).

On the train, I knew the drill. Got my bunk sorted and headed straight for the buffet car which, oddly, is the only place on the train you are supposed to smoke, although people do so between the carriages as well. The buffet car on the Backpacker Express, as I call it, is something to behold. Most, as I say, are going to Chiang Mai, a journey of about 14 hours and there is nothing else to do but drink beer and have a party, so that is what we did. I ended up seated with two young physiotherapy students from Zurich and another Swiss guy about my age. We had a great old time as they crank up the sound system with (pretty rubbish) Western pop. I remember the last time there were people dancing and the place resembles a nightclub more than a train carriage. It was slightly more muted this time and they have also taken to closing the bar at 11 which didn't used to be the case.

As for the accomodation itself, I find it most comfortable and always manage a good night's sleep. The bunk accomodates my 6'5" frame with no difficulty and there are clean bedclothes provided for each journey by the helpful attendants. The photo shows the carriage made up for the night.

If you are only going to Lampang, and I recommend you do, do not worry about oversleeping and missing your stop. You will be billeted in the last carriage which is detached at Lampang and they will soon rouse you.

I have heard other travellers complain about the sleepers but an overnight riding the rails is always a highlight of my trips to Thailand.

planxty's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Train to Chiang Mai

There is a night train service to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand overnight.
It is a convenient reliable service, which is not that easy to find in South East Asia.
To buy a ticket just go to one of the many travel agents who can buy it for you for a small fee, note book it earlier as it can easily get sold out.

deeper_blue's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Things To Do in Bangkok

Mahakan Fort

after the sack of ayuthaya and the fall of the ayuthaya empire to the burmese in the 17th century. the present Chakri Dynasty became the leader of thailand and to defend the new capital of bangkok...

Calypso Cabaret

Live cabaret, theater and ladyboy show twice a night at The Asia Hotel in Bangkok. Featuring beautiful Thai dancers and stunning, stage designs that create scenes from around the world. It is a...

Democracy Monument

Monument commemorating the student protest that led to the establishment of Democracy in Thailand. Today the monument would be somewhat ironic given the military coops that have marked the divisive...

Wat Traimit

Wat Traimit is the location of the world's largest gold Buddha. Known as Sukhothai Traimit Gold Buddha, it stands over 15 feet in height and has a 12 feet diameter. The Buddha is made of solid good...

Temple of the Golden Buddha - Wat Traimit

Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha One of the famous temple in Bangkok "Wat Traimit" - The Temple of the Golden Buddha (the statue of Buddha is made from solid gold weighting 5.5 tons)....

Safari World

Safari World Safari World is one of the famous Zoo little outside of Bangkok. Its better to go to take a taxi or Bus from Victory Monument and after a taxi from there to Safari...

Getting to Bangkok

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!