Beggars, Bangkok

Covered for your next adventure?
Get travel insurance you can count on.
    Lottery Sellers at Chatuchak Market
    by Bangkokjoe

Know about this?

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo

Serious One on Disenfranchised Folk

by Bangkokjoe Updated Apr 3, 2006

Some very sad stories abound regarding street beggars that have been roped into staying in Bangkok as part of syndicates. The bosses are supposed to drop the unfortunate folk at strategic money gathering places, particularly Sukhumvit and Silom where the tourists are. Often a wretched looking mother is there with a scrawny looking child - which is reported to be a surrogate accessory to get the sympathy factor... up and so earn more funds. Pour souls, crippled and pushing themselves along the pavement, are another feature. Cases are reported where the crippling has been done to them. The folk doing the begging see some, but only very little, of the money you give them.

In all my years here I can still not work out who are the "legitimate" and who are the bogus beggars. My office staff tend to give their spare cash to the disabled lottery sellers safe in the knowledge that the "begging syndicate bosses" are not being funded. So that's what I now do.

If we win, then we'll chuck the winnings back at the ticket seller. That's our theory. It hasn't happened yet. I hope our morals remain strong if we do land a big one.

It's your call of course. Something beats nothing.

Lottery Sellers at Chatuchak Market

• Donna-Lee's Profile Photo

beggars

by Donna-Lee Written Aug 19, 2007

Its entirely up to you if you want to give your money to these people. Who knows the real reason or their circumstances of why they are there.
    I did give a small amount of shrap that I didnt want to keep.

• Con Artists - at Siam Paragon shopping centre

by db_quokka Updated Sep 26, 2006

I was approached by a woman claiming to be Singaporian who had been in Phuket on holidays and had her passport stolen. She said she had to come to the Singapore embassy in Bangkok to obatin a new passport. She also claimed that the embassy told her that a new passport would take 3 days and they didn't give her any assistance with a hotel or cash. I would describe myself as a being a seasoned traveller but I really got scammed by this women!!

Phone: Tourist Police +66 2 66440 00