Tuk-tuks, Bangkok

Covered for your next adventure?
Get travel insurance you can count on.
    Colorful crooks
    by NYTim
  • Ditched us when we said no more gem or suit shops
    Ditched us when we said no more gem or...
    by Snipernurse
    tuktuk
    by iclee

Know about this?

• Tuk-Tuk Squatters

by bmike8 Updated Jan 30, 2007

We just came back from Bangkok...we love the food, culture & People are so friendly...but you will get some who are cream of the crop.....Tuk-Tuk squatters

Straight to the point...STAY AWAY from these types !!! They are the biggest scammer of them all...

Nearly everywhere you go you will see Tuk-Tuk squatters parked up 3or4 of them at any one time. They will hassle the crap out of you offering a cheap price to travel, most of the time it was 10Baht..we offered 50Baht and mention no stopping or detours. The Tuk-Tuk squatters agrees and we head off...not this one...this one still tried to scam to a gem shop.

We waited for him to stop and I gave him 10Baht and we walked away, he followed us telling us some story, but at this stage we didnt care. We flagged down a passing Tuk-Tuk.... agree on the terms and off we went. Tuk-Tuk driving around town will mostly try to scam you, but as long you agree on the term of what you want then you should be fine.

Since then I only flag down the ones that are driving around looking for passenges and since then had no trouble with the Tuk-Tuks.

• joleson's Profile Photo

10 Baht for an hour for Tuk Tuk

by joleson Written Jan 28, 2007

If you're trying to get somewhere fast you may hear a tuk tuk driver say he'll take you where ever you want to go for an hour for 10 Baht. He gets a gas card stamp if he takes you to the jewlery place, or clothes place. If you have pleanty of time to kill, get as much touristy things like the temples/Wats as you can in. Don't feel like you have to buy anything if you are enjoying yourself. If they offer you a drink, it will be harder for you to leave without buying anything and without insult. More than once I was told I was cheap and to leave after not wanting to buy a suit.

If you've got thick skin I found it was a great way to see the city for really cheap, we saw most of the Wats in Bangkok in 6 hours. After I while I got sick of the high pressure and it was worth the money to avoid going to these places.

• Motorcycle

• casual caution

by teechuh Written Jan 22, 2007

It amused me to read all the cautions about Tuk Tuk drivers. It made me feel at home (strangely). Much of Thailand's whole economic "circle of life" is based on selling items that are fakes or cheap imitations. If you're willing to use a Tuk Tuk driver as a tour guide, you're essentially buying a cheap imitation of the real thing (at least in Bangkok). Buy a map and keep track of where you are. Ask a 7-11 employee (or the like) how much it should cost to go where you want to go. Be prepared to pay more (you are a farang, after all), and start bartering below what you want to pay. Be a little bit generous and you'll make life easier on the next foreigner who comes along. If your Tuk Tuk Driver doesn't want to come close to what you want to pay, try another. The first guy may lower his fare when he sees you leave or he may not. Who cares? There are thousands of Tuk Tuks. Tuk Tuk drivers can be a kick for the first time of two, but for longer trips you'll pay less to take a metered taxi (or if you're brave, the bus routes or khlong taxis). Motorcycle taxis are great for short routes (within 1-3 km). Anyway you go, Thais are laidback. They're not on a fast-paced schedule. Don't overestimate how much you think you can visit. Even if you get the fastest Tuk Tuk in the city, you won't get to see too much per day (except maybe the local hospital). Traffic is severe. And if you feel like you've been taken for a fool's ride, you have. In Thailand, though, most of the time you're "riding" you won't even know the difference.

By the way, sometimes you can get a cheaper fare if you let a Tuk Tuk take you to a shop. Adventurous sorts have even traveled for free, provided they visited two or three places first. Remember this phrase: "Mai Pen Rai." It means "nevermind." Tell yourself that when you get frustrated. It doesn't help, but at least you'll be learning the language.

One last thing: Wear a surgical mask. A gas mask. A pesticide mask. A bandana. Anything that may filter the air a little. You'll lungs will thank you.

• Study Abroad

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Cockroach Named TukTuk

by RoyJava Updated Sep 9, 2006

Like a coughing cockroach this sputtering three-wheeler is moving its way, wanna be faster than a taxi, and still wanna be number one with a lot of tourists! The TukTuk flies around the corner, kickin' up a cloud of blue smoke (for sure!) and coughing like asthmatic hippo's. Legendary while chasing away the human-drawn rickshaws, keep in mind you do breathe all the lead-soaked air, there's no air-con, it is not that cheap anymore, and the TukTuk drivers do speak less English than taxi drivers. Still these cockroaches belong in the cultural picture of Bangkok, and nobody can resist the call "Hey U, Where U Go?", so still bargain when go for a TukTuk!

tuktuk-bangkok
    • Adventure Travel

Add to your Trip Planner
  • The Naive and Gullible BEWARE!

by zalyn Updated Jun 17, 2006

If you decide to take to tuk-tuk especially in the morning, because its convient, fast and cheap, well you are wrong! The tuk-tuk driver/motorist have a chain of network where they are engaged with several jewellery and gems shops in which they will receive commission if the victim bought jewellery from the shop.

The tuk-tuk man will offer only 20baht to go anywhere provided that they will send you to a jewellery or gem shop first before proceeding to your destination. They claim that they will receive free gas for their tuk-tuk if you visit the jewellery shop without obligations of purchase. Its hard to say NO because they will beg, paster and convince you furthermore you dont want any commotion at the start of your adventure in Bangkok.

Upon reaching the 'unintended destination', the marketing begins. They target tourist from Japan, US, UK and other country with large currency exchange. The products are sold at a high price but of low quality. If they manage to sell a jewellery, they can even afford to close their shop for a week and 30% is paid to the tuk-tuk man as commission.

So my tips are to claim to be Malaysians or other citizens. They sort of ignore us because the chances that we will purchase is very slim. Do not show any interest in the product, try to avoid any conversation with the sales person and remind the gullible and naive that its a scam!

• School Holidays

• voyageur2's Profile Photo

Touk-Touks. traffic monsters!

by voyageur2 Written May 26, 2006

Touks-touks may seem lovely at first. But I have to repeat the recommendation of my guide: do not try to use them as a transportation method. Drivers are usualy like risks and their fuel is petroleum gas.

• Singles

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Beware the free tuk-tuk tour

by BorneoGrrl Updated Mar 28, 2006

After I walked out the Grand Palace complex, my friend & I were approached by a local man claiming to be a university professor. Then he said there is a service by the Thai government that offer a free tuk-tuk ride to a nearby attraction. Since my friend was a ex-marine, I figured it would be OK so off we went. After visiting the attraction, the tuk-tuk brought us to a couple shops e.g jewelery, tailor and carpet. Apparently, the tuk-tuk drivers get commission in the form of petrol vouchers to bring unknowing tourists to these stores. When we insisted the tuk-tuk driver send us back, he passed us on to another tuk-tuk driver!

• Singles

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Tuk-tuks are scary

by BorneoGrrl Updated Mar 28, 2006

I've only had one tuk-tuk ride ever and that's more than enough. For starters, they drive like they own the road, ignore the traffic lights and go against traffic. I don't know if my travel insurance define tuk-tuks as one of mode of public transport. The other thing is that as a tourist, you will be charge a different fee (higher) and since the tuk-tuks are open ended, you'll breathe in more of Bangkok's special road pollution

Daredevil tuk-tuk

• tuktuk scam indeed!

by gemi80 Written Mar 16, 2006

i've read it here to beware of tuktuk drivers..boy, it was helpful...not an hour had passed since we've settled in our hotel, we decided to go to siam square.we thought, it's just near, so it's better to take the tuktuk..but then we got in a debate with the driver coz he insisted that we drop by at his friend's store so he could get free gas..and we said " NO NO NO"..if we havent read it here about the scams, we would have said ok ok....but instead we stepped out of the tuktuk and hailed a taxi instead...never again, we tried riding a tuktuk...if your destination is just near, just walk..if its not near enough then take a taxi...it's better to spend more than around 20baht than be a victim...trust me, our hotel staff even discouraged us from riding a tuktuk....

tuktuk

• leongarf's Profile Photo

Riding in Tuk Tuks

by leongarf Written Mar 15, 2006

A lot of the drivers want to stop by clothing stores on the way to your destination b/c they get an incentive for bringing customers into the stores. It can be a lot of hassle so just tell the driver you are not interested or give him an extra 40 baht to bypass these places.

• Icha's Profile Photo

Dont Trust Friendly Tuk Tuk Driver Prommises

by Icha Written Mar 14, 2006

I only have 3 days only to explore the temples and intresting object in bangkok, i decided to walk around for near location, and take tuk tuk for far location.
    A friendly Tuk Tuk driver offer me too help look around bangkok, and he promissed to take me to intresting temples that I really really want to visit today.
    Inttrested in his offering, and remembering this is my first time to Bangkok, and short time i have, his offer is quite a good offer to me.
    First stop, quite far away, i took about half hours to get in to the store., it was a jewellery store. no buy here thank you.
    Next is another far away store with busy traffic of bangkok, took me another 40 minutes to get to the store. It was a souvenir shop
    Then he ask for lunch first before start the temple tour,
    At the restaurant, He said he has no money for lunch, then i said i will pay his lunch , he also order a bottle of beer, on my expense., total spent for this lunch were about Us$60. ( i began to feel bad about this, its already 3PM that time! and i havent see any of temple, as i begin to ask him when can we start ?
    Then he ask me: " How much will you give me tips to take you around bangkok temples ?"
    (What!!!, i havent even see any temples, and already waste my half day, and he asking for tips...?),
    Ok to make the things well, I said i will give him $5 for each temple he get me.

Then he take me to temple (quite ok), after that we went to a bad looking abandoned temple, no even 1 tourist around., When i protest him, he said its already late afternoon, all temple already closed...!

The climax of this situation, is he dropped me in one corner of the bangkok street and hand me over to another tuktuk driver to take me back to hotel (it s 5 o clock already), and he asking me for his $5 tips! and go away......
    Sad..sad.. why its happen to me..? I lost half valuable day, 1 pay for $60 lunch, he got a free lunch and a beer..., AND I GOT NOTHING..!!!!!

Hope this will not happen to other tourist visiting Bangkok, dont trust any good offer from Tuktuk driver.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Bangkok, go prepared

by Myndo Written Mar 5, 2006

I am not the first nor the last here to write this.
    The very minute you hit the road in Bangkok and have a look at your map (where are we going next?), you will have someone friendly come to you and offer help. These friendly people are ofte directly related to tuk tuk drivers or shops. They will say anything to get you have a trip with a tuk tuk with stops at many tourist shops.

Mostly this sounds like this:
    "Where do you want to go?" ... "Oh, Wat xyz, that is closed today (or until 2 p.m. or whatever) because of a Buddhist holiday" - Don?t believe it. They don?t close their temples or museums because of that. Always believe your guide book on that and not what people tell you. We were told this 3 times in one day, and it was never true.
    On it goes: "But, I would propose you go to this Wat instead, that is very nice. I can get you a tuk tuk to bring you there. They make special price today because of Buddhist holidays "(or world fair, or because only it is Wednesday or whatever). "They will bring you there for only 20 or 40 Baht.".
    Yes they will. But they will also bring you to a jade shop, a yeweller, a Thai silk shop, a souvenir shop, a .... I think you got it.
    It also does not matter if you really buy something in these shops. They get their commission by just bringing you there.

One more thing that is quite typical for Bangkook is the yewellery scam.
    They try to persuade you that you can make money by buying yewels cheap in Thailand and then reselling it at shops where you live.
    Don?t do this! For once you have no idea what the colorful stones you are offered are really worth if you are no expert. As a normal tourist you won?t even be able to distinct them from fake stones or even glass. Second: you won?t be able to resell them at home (not even at the addresses they may give you, they are not real either). Also don?t trust in any certificates they may show you- paper is patient.
    If there was money in it, they would not need to rely on tourists to do the trade.

Tuk Tuks and scammers

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Never use them.

by NYTim Written Jun 25, 2013

We used them twice and the stories thse drivers gave was appaling. We need to stop at a shop as I get gas voucher. Royal Palace is closed today. Ferries are not running. Too far to walk.

Colorful crooks
    • Photography

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk hazards

by easterntrekker Written Sep 24, 2006

If you plan to get a tuk tuk ...be aware you are going to be exposed to the horrendous fumes of the city traffic.....try at all costs to avoid them . We took a ride in Chinatown and it was horrible!!

Big city fumes
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Bangkok

• Jul 18, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I was a dumb tourist and was scammed my Dusit Collections. They use tuk tuk drivers to trick people into their store and then sell them overpriced, low quality fabric suits. Don't do what happened to me!