Ko Lanta Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Ko Lanta

• don_thomas's Profile Photo

Lanta as a diving-base.

by don_thomas Written Apr 19, 2004

Go diving when you are on Lanta! It's a good base from where you can visit dive-sites that are said to be among the best of the world.

The diving school where I did all my diving with was Lanta Diver. It's a Swedish company from origin with many instructors from all over the world. Man, it's well organised there! They arrange diving trips to Ko Ha, Ko Bida and Hin Dueng. You leave at 7 or 8 o'clock, depending on your destination. Breakfast and fantastic Thai lunch is served on the boat and lots of fruit on the way back.

Address: Ban Saladan

Phone: +66 (0) 75 68 42 08

Website: http://www.lantadiver.com

diving @ Ko Ha
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Loops's Profile Photo

Elephant Trekking

by Loops Updated Apr 5, 2004

There are a couple of elephant treks you can go on. We went on one which took about an hour, through the rubber plantations.

The elephants are apparently not native to Lanta, they are ex-logging elephants which were shipped over to tourist areas after a ban on logging was brought in by the government, resulting in jobless elephants all over Thailand. If this is true (which I suspect it is as my trusty guidebook tells me so!) then at least the tourists are providing the elephants with a better lifestyle than hanging around busy streets begging for food.

The great thing about elephant trekking is that it is so quiet and peaceful - you don't imagine that elephants move about so silently, being such large animals, but as they walk through the forest, they are actually quieter than the average human!

The guides took us down a couple of quite steep banks which was weird as you feel like you're going to fall off, and we walked along a stream that was quite shallow as it was the dry season, however, they do the same route in the wet season and I saw photos of elephants in the stream up to their heads in water, which must be quite good fun.

We'd done an elephant trek once before in Ko Samui, but this one was better as it was longer and the land wasn't as flat.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the baby elephant show afterwards. When you get back to the centre, they bring out the baby elephant and it does some tricks like kicking a ball and putting a hat on the kids' heads, which is OK, but they also get it to balance on its trunk and things more suited to Disney's Dumbo film in my opinion - but apart from that, the whole trip was a good one.

Directions: It's the elephant trek which is in the northern part of the island (not the one which goes to the caves)

checking out the rubber tapping

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Just a sightseeing

by edachsund Written Mar 4, 2004

I went down the beach to have a long walk. And yeah I found lots of interesting scenary. haha. This place is quite. Good to relax realy. I thank to one of the traveler whom we met on the bus recommending me to this place.
    BTW, forgot his name.

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Ko Jum (1)

by jenniferchin Written Jan 4, 2004

My impressions of Ko Jum (a little quiet island between Ko Lanta and Krabi) :

I bought a return boat ticket from Saladan, Ko Lanta for 170 bhat. I had to take the ferry that goes to Krabi and hop off halfway. So, there I was on the ferry ~ very excited about this outing as I have been wanting to check this place out. Its still pretty much secluded (not much info on the internet) and sounded pretty pristine to me ... and I was so right !

The boat ride took about an hour and I was on the beach at 9am. Ko Jum is very very laidback, hardly any development over on the (west) beach, save for a few bungalows. Just the sound of the wind and the waves.

I basked in the sun until noon .. or rather, until it got too hot. I lazed about in the restaurant over at New Bungalows until about 3pm. That was when I had to take my boat back to Ko Lanta.

beach @ ko jum

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Thai Massage

by jenniferchin Written Jan 2, 2004

Anyone who loves being pampered will love Thai massage. I am, of course, refering to the "soft" version. I wandered over to "Nong May's Thai & Foot Massage" one evening after my ardous sea kayaking daytrip. I had a fantastic relaxing time under Ning's (photo) magic fingers. I even went partying til 4am after that :-)

Address: 177 Saladan, Lanta Island, Krabi

Directions: This slightly hidden place is along the quieter streets in Saladan. Its near the southern side of the pier. Have a wander around, don't give up and you will find it eventually.

Phone: 06-04809227

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Catch at least one Beautiful sunset...

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 28, 2003

make it a point while you are here to see a beautiful sunset. We usually wound up eating dinner right about that time so we made it a point to eat out in the sand and watch the sun go down. I love the silhouette that the long tail boats made against the sunset...

This was my favorite part of ko lanta

sunset ko lanta

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Check out the cave... its pretty neat

by beaniezotzim Updated Sep 28, 2003

This cave was one of those "I-have-to-conquer-my-fear" adventures. Our friends came to this island the year before and told us to go to the cave, but then he proceeded to show me some pictures....of the spiders INSIDE the cave.... I was far from sold on this cave thing.

I did it though, and I don't regret it, although I did come VERY close to having a panic attack when I saw the spiders up close....... they are BIG. (getting the chills just writing this) blaghhh.....

some of the thing you can anticipate if you decide to do this are a good hike to the entrance, some very tight squeezes through some parts of the cave, muddy clothes, spiders, Bats, a pool in the pitch blackness of the cave if you want to cool off, and a really cool Stairway/ladder on your way back. It is worth it though. I am really glad I did it. Hope you enjoy if you plan to go!

Picture is of some of the bats that we saw....

Bats Ko Lanta

• davidjo's Profile Photo

EXPLORE THE ISLAND

by davidjo Written Mar 26, 2012

Rent a bicycle and explore the south of the island where you will find villages that are rarely visited by tourists. Many of the houses are built on stilts over the ocean.

SEA GIPSY VILLAGES ENTERING VILLAGE ON STILTS
    • Photography

• davidjo's Profile Photo

BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS

by davidjo Written Mar 26, 2012

When i was in Ko Lanta it was nice to sit on the beach early evening and watch the terrific sunsets.

SUNSET, KO LANTA SUNSET

• Rastarigo's Profile Photo

Speed your way to Koh Rok

by Rastarigo Written Feb 11, 2012

Lovely snorkeling, fine white sand, beautiful beach, an hour speed boat ride from Koh Lanta. tour is 1,200 baht per person

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Enjoy the beach while you can

by traceyspacey Written Oct 16, 2007

Well we went to Ko Lanta towards the end of the wet season. It was very wet. However we did get a glimpse of Sun now and then. Drop what ever you are doing-go enjoy the beach!

Address: Any beach-Long Beach is pretty good

Rain on the way More rain on the way Sunshine at last

• Vincedem's Profile Photo

Saladan Town

by Vincedem Written Apr 8, 2007

This is the little town at the pier where you have to take the ferry. Saladan is a nice place where you can find some little shops where you can buy your souvenirs, beach stuff or some books.

Saladan

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo

Socialize

by Kaynisa Written Feb 10, 2006

If u are bored u can basically walk along the long beach and stop at any bungalow areas they have there and do what we vters do best... snap photos or socialize....

find a place to hang out

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Walk along the beach...

by dragontml Written Jan 10, 2006

Its an beautiful island and we spent most of our time at Long beach...its a very long strech. We did a morning stroll and a return walk takes about one hour.

Address: Long beach

high tide @ sanctuary

• jorgegomes's Profile Photo

Island hopping

by jorgegomes Written Jun 1, 2004

From Ko Lanta island there are some boat trips that you can do.
    1- Emerald Cave
    2- Ko Rok island
    3- 4 islands
    4- Hin Daeng & Hin Muang (Divers spot)

Address: Ko Lanta island, Thailand

Directions: Krabi District

Ko Rok
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Instant Answers: Ko Lanta

Comments

Ko Lanta Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ko Lanta things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Lanta sightseeing.