Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Phuket Islands Tour: Hidden Treasures of Maphrao Bay
"The object of our daytrips is to move quietly through an area that enjoys a lifestyle unchanged in decades and longer while enjoying our very special pampering aboard the boat the “Pitta”. Thaphao IslandYour first stop after leaving Ao Chalong is Thaphao Island which is a nature lover’s paradise with beautiful forest walks where very old trees can be seen. For the fit some of the paths can be quite steep but if you prefer a more leisurely stroll you can always take a walk along the flats. Perhaps you will see Hornbill birds and many other species that can be heard
From $600.00

Private Monkey Jungle Cruise: Phuket Day Eco Tour
"Floating Fish FarmsOur boat “Pitta” leaves from Chalong Bay at 9am as we head out to see authentic floating fish farms where you will have the opportunity to meet our local Sea Gypsies. These are genuine working fish farms which have been owned and operated for generations by traditional Thai Sea Gypsies. Here you will observe where the locals live and how they work.Thai VillagesDuring this trip we will also travel through Thai Villages were you can interact wi you will also get to see the damage and rebuilding from the result of the Tsunami in 2004. You will be able to observe the Kings Project which is based on rebuilding the Mangroves in Thailand. In the past over 40% of the mangroves were slashed for burning to manufacture charcoal but now this practice is no longer allowed and has since been banned.Mangrove Forest and The MonkeysWe then head off to the Mangrove Forest to see the monkeys. Offering a rare opportunity to see wild monkey’s in their natural habitat where they are free to swing from tree to tree and are always pleased when Captain Gordon arrives with his boat. From here you can paddle your own kayak or you can have one of the crew to paddle for you
From $602.00

Private Islands and Eco Tour: Hidden Treasures of Chalong Bay
"Travelling up the River in Mangrove ForestWe then move on and follow the special bamboo sticks which were placed here by the local fishermen to form the channel which takes us into the river. Once we’ve entered the river you will have a chance to observe the local villages and longtail boats with many Thai people waving enthusiastically as we pass gently by. The villagers are always surprised to see us as rarely any tourists find their way here. With only a maximum of 10 guests on board we can stop anywhere you like. It’s up to you there is no strict itinerary. Feeding Friendly Monkeys and KayakingOur next stop takes us to see the Monkeys
From $602.00

Phuket Zoo

Amazingly well-trained elephants that surely entertain visitors who take time to visit the zoo. The large creatures perform a number of shows that will undoubtedly impress onlookers. Tourists can watch also watch performance and shows at the zoo. Aside from the elephants, there are crocodiles, monkey, ostriches, tigers, snakes and many other kinds of animals that can be seen. An underwater world is also open for viewing. A photo session with an orang hutan or tiger is also possible.

The zoo is open daily from 8.30am - 6pm.

Monkey Shows: 9am, 12pm, 2.30pm,4.45pm
Crocodile Shows: 9.45am, 12.45pm, 3.15pm, 5.30pm
Elephant shows: 10.30am, 1.30pm, 4.00pm
(Note: show timing may varies according to tourist season)

Orchid Garden, Buttefly Garden, Aquarium opening time: 9.00am - 5.30pm

shane_02's Profile Photo
shane_02
Oct 05, 2005

Phuket Zoo

The Phuket Zoo, whilst not great for the animals as it is still very sub-standard, can be a great few hours out for children. It could be a good way to teach kids about how animals should NOT be kept.

There are monkey, elephant and crocodile shows.
SHOW TIMES:
Monkey Show: 9:00am, 12:00am, 2:30pm, 4:45pm
Crocodile Show: 9:30am, 12:45am, 3:15pm, 5:30pm
Elephant Show: 10:30am, 1:30pm, 4:00pm
Butterfly Garden: 9:00am - 17:30pm
The zoo is open 7 days from 8:30am - 6:00pm

Entry fee for adults is 500 baht

I guess I'm adding this as a thing to do tip because many people like to go to zoos, but I find it very upsetting myself. I went for a second visit this week to see if there had been any improvements. There were, but only slightly and a few. I think they may have found out about my pictures and comments about the zoo on the internet, just under their listing.

I don't know whether to encourage or discourage people from visiting, as the animals may suffer even more if the money dries up.

Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
Tina-Perth
Apr 04, 2011

Phuket Zoo

For those who intend to visit the Phuket Zoo, please reconsider. My friend and I were horrified at the living conditions of the animals.

Many of the animals were pacing up and down their cages in fixed patterns (which I believe is a sign of stress), the aquatic animals are kept in algae-filled ponds that you can smell before actually seeing it; it seemed that most animals, regardless of species, are fed with bananas. The last straw was when we saw a rotting chicken head in the otter's enclosure.

The entrance fee of 500BTH is plainly exorbitant, I suggest you donate it to other conservation efforts if you are really keen in helping animals.

ah_bian
Dec 26, 2006

Phuket Zoo

We have been to Phuket 9 times over the last 14 years and had never been to the Phuket Zoo. There have been a lot of bad reports on various forums re this zoo but I thought its time I went and made up my own mind.

To be honest the zoo has many good points and many bad points. It reminds me of the way zoo's use to be in Australia 20 years ago. (Though Adelaide zoo still has some pretty sad areas today and I'm sure there are still other zoos across Australia that are not up to scratch).

I can totally understand why children would love the place and hope the photos will help people make up their minds whether they should go or not.

The bird aviaries are a decent size, clean and the birds had seed, corn etc. Some cages could have done with a bit of greenery but that’s about it.

All the animals seemed well fed, the cages and enclosures were clean, the grounds are very beautiful and there is plenty of shady areas and drink stops.

Drink prices were 60baht for a Singha and 20baht for a can of soft drink. If you intend having lunch there is not much choice, tuna and salad sandwich for 80baht and French fries 60baht.

That's it, there was nothing else available

Some of the bad points are the monkeys, gibbons and tigers in small cages. The leopard cage was very small and he is right next to an enclosure of deer. What torment both animals must go through.

There is a huge tiger on display for photos, I did not have a photo taken with him, only because I was not interested but lots of people are. Is it wrong, I don’t know and I’m not going to judge people who do this, you can have photos with animals in Australia so really no difference.

There are loads of crocodiles there (way to many for a zoo - maybe they are being farmed for their skins!!)

So there, that’s it, I’m still a bit confused about what I think of this zoo but it could be fantastic with a few improvements.

Entry fee for an adult is 500baht which is quite expensive and far more than a local has to pay!. When you first go in they take your photo and the sign says that the photo will cost 200baht, however when we left we were only charged 150baht.

There are various monkey, elephant and crocodile shows throughout the day and also a small aquarium which could do with a good cleanout as it was discusting.

Lots more Zoo Photos here,

9/48 Kata Noi Road, Karon, , Phuket, 83000, Thailand
154 Phang-Nga Road, Phuket Town, Muang, Phuket, 83000, Thailand
48 Ruamjai Rd, Patong Beach, Amphur Kathu, Patong, 83150, Thailand
Hotels
200 Moo 7 Chiangmai-Doi Saket RD., Cherng Doi, Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, 50220, Thailand
1 Soi Surin, Montri Rd, Phuket Town, , Phuket, 83000, Thailand

Phuket Zoo

My husband and I returned from an amazing holiday in Thailand, just two days ago. Everything was perfect . . . except for Phuket zoo. We have visited many great zoos in different parts of the world, but have never seen anything as cruel as this. The crocodiles were laid in about 6 inches of water in the scorching sun. The monkeys were in mesh cages with only a tyre hanging from the roof - a concrete floor, no trees, no visible food, no greenery, nowhere to hide. The elephants were chained to the floor - it couldn't have been longer than a couple of feet long and was attached to a foot, the elephant was desperately trying to move around. There was a huge, beautiful tiger on a small podium, where tourists could have their photo taken next to it - again with a very small ( and thin ) chain tying it down. It's eyes were closed - it must have been drugged as it could have quite easily snapped the chain - and the keepers kept swatting it to make it open it's eyes. The elephant 'show' was demeaning and cruel, the animals were pushed and pulled into doing the 'tricks'. We thought the monkey show may be better but the monkeys were lead onto a stage with leashes around their necks looking absolutely terrified. They are so clearly trained with fear. We actually walked out of the monkey show and went to wait for our taxi (two hours) which was far preferable to seeing any more of the horrible zoo. I refused to take any photos while inside, and I would very strongly recommend avoiding this awful place.

DebbieUK
Sep 22, 2005

Phuket Zoo

I wasnt sure if I wanted to go there cause I had heard some bad things about how they keep the animals. But on our second trip we did go and Im not sorry we did. Things could have been better for the animals but everything seemed to be quite okay. Maybe in this case its better to support the zoo and buy the entrance ticket.
Aquarium there was cool and elephant show was classy.

susu77's Profile Photo
susu77
Oct 23, 2006

Visit Phuket Zoo

Phuket Zoo is a great place to go for a day away from the pace of Patong.
Its a cool and quiet place with great shady gardens and plenty of animals to check out as well.
They have a big Aquarium and animal shows daily as well as plenty of places to eat and drink.

Daily Shows
Monkey Shows : 09.00, 12.00, 14.30 and 16.45 hrs.
Crocodile Shows : 09.45, 12.45, 15.15 and 17.30 hrs.
Elephant Shows : 10.30, 13.30 and 16.00 hrs.

austarman's Profile Photo
austarman
Jul 07, 2008
Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Tina-Perth

"Our Second Home - Phuket"
Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Cathy&Gary

"Phuket"
shane_02's Profile Photo

shane_02

"Phuket Introduction"
imstress's Profile Photo

imstress

"P H U K E T - Beautiful Sunset!"
Myndo's Profile Photo

Myndo

"Thailand, Phuket, and the classical beach holiday?"

Things to Do Near Phuket

Pum Thai Restaurant & Cooking School

We had been in Patong for a week and wished that we could find this place a little sooner. Full options restaurant & cooking school. The foods were great & the cooking class was a blast. My...

Patong Beach

I think that Patong beach and Ban Patong must be the same thing. Or not? Anyway, I'll post my Patong beach comments in Ban Patong page. And Patong was precious for us. With the monsoon, Kata beach...

Phi Phi Islands

We booked with Phuket Tours Direct to go on the HongTae Tours trip to Phi Phi island. After travelling an hour to the port and sitting through the 45mins safety session we were informed that my 5...

Phang Nga Bay

This is not my first time in Thailand 2009 i was in koh lanta and khaosuk national park this time i just came to surathani and khaolak decided to buy some tailor made suit from khaolak, but here is...

James Bond Island

If you plan to visit James Bond Island, think again. Firstly, price for tour package is very tricky. We joined with the group tour for same trip but some of them paid THB3,000 per person, other paid...

Ko Larn - Coral Island

If you are staying in Pattaya, it is well worth spending a day enjoying the beaches of Koh Larn. Situated to the west of Pattaya, Koh Larn is accessible by a 15 minute speedboat ride or by using the...

Getting to Phuket

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map