Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Full-Day Hue City and Perfume River Bike Tour
"50km cycling (L)Recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1993 this city is famous for its magnificent architecture. It’s citadel palaces pagodas and royal tombs frame a poetic background of greenery on the banks of the Perfume River. In the morning we’ll cycle to visit the Hue Citadel and Imperial City. Then we’ll bike upstream aside the legendary Perfume River. Along the way Vietnam Bike Tours’ll stop to visit Thien Mu pagoda then continue to the rolling hills of the surrounding countryside where we’ll find the Royal Tombs of the Nguyen Emperors. We’ll take some time to visit Tu Duc and Khai Dinh tombs. After exploring the splendid gardens and ornate architecture of the tombs we’ll return to Hue to end the trip."
From $141.00

5-Day Vietnam Central Coast Bike Tour from Hue to Nha Trang
"Day 1: Hue - Hoi An 100km cycling (L D)On the first day we’ll drive by bus 18km out of Hue to the coast. There we’ll begin riding off the beaten track for 40km along a picturesque narrow peninsular road from Thuan An Beach to Vinh Loc. We’ll hop on a local ferry to cross an estuary of the Perfume River before re-mounting our bikes on Highway 1. Here we will cycle the first of the day’s three hill climbs. In the evening we’ll check into the hotel in Hoi An
From $1,153.00

4-Day Bike Tour from Hue to Hoi An Ancient Town Including My Son Sanctuary
"Day 1: Hue - Da Nang 60km+ cycling (L)Our guide will retrieve you from your hotel in Hue and organize a transfer out of the city. The day’s bike ride will begin at Thuan An beach and head to Cau Hai lagoon where you will see local fishermen and stilt houses on the water. Lunch will either be held as a picnic on the way or at a local restaurant. After lunch we’ll continue riding to Lang Co beach. On the way you’ll cycle up the Hai Van pass and enjoy a scenic view from the summit. Then we’ll continue cycling along the coast to the hotel for our overnight stay in Da Nang.Day 2: Da Nang - Hoi An 45km+ cyclng (B L)In the morning we’ll visit the Cham museum in the city. Then
From $744.00

Tours Tips (10)

Handicapped persons workshop

If you do the tour to the Tunnels and Temple with Rainbow Adventure tours, (probably other tours as well) then a morning tea stop is at the handicapped persons workshop. Here you see them making various crafts. It was very interesting.

The shop was selling the products they made. They looked extremely well done and were very nice - prices were fairly high though.

balhannah's Profile Photo
balhannah
Dec 30, 2013

Saigon hotpot - volunteer guides for free tour

Saigon hotpot is a voluntary club with students from various universities offering free tour guide service for tourists. They are pasionate about introducing Saigon to the world and it also gave them the chance to practise the use of English. The tours they offer are city tour and traditional meal tour.

The tourists are expected to cover their own expense, transport and tickets as well as those for their volunteer guides. All tours start at 9am and the volunteer guides will meet the tourists at the hotel lobby for the tours. They can be contacted by email at saigon_hotpot@yahoo.com and saigonhotpot@gmail.com. Their website is www.saigonhotpot.com. I sent an email to them and got a reply a few days later. Different volunteer guides would be assigned to the tourist depending on their available free time.

As I was travelling alone to HCMC, I had enlisted the help from Saigon hotpot to show me around the places. I had requested for traditional meal tour, city tour and also a tour in search of local cusine. More information on the traditional meal tour can be found on my travalogue. I especially liked the traditional meal tour where i can participate in the cooking and it is really an eye opener to see that the market is more developed than I had thought.

Other than exploring the places of interest in a country, I would love to eat the local cusines especially those that are known only to the locals. I didn't expect to be the first person to request for such foodie tour though. I had met up with Ms Tran for dinner and was recommended to food like bo la lot, banh canh cua and also che. It was really a very satisfying meal for me. Yum Yum. More information on the food can be found in my restaurant tips.

sunshine_01's Profile Photo
sunshine_01
Aug 07, 2012

City Tour

This was an 8 hour tour of the city by Delta Tours. It was a good value at $8.00 but a little slow paced for us. I think we could have covered it is 6 hours,for sure. it did get us around to see the sights however and considering in was the Lunar New Years day ,it was a good option for us.

easterntrekker's Profile Photo
easterntrekker
Feb 08, 2011

Make a boat tour on the river! (2)

Saigon is a city of bikes, and even on the river, you can see a number of bikes. . . . probably many people cross the river with their bikes. . . . (two first pictures), and the kids have a bike in the small yard above the river (picture 3); the bikes are everywhere!
The boat tour took about two hours, and further out on the delta, in deeper waters, the giant cranes are like prehistoric animals in the dark blue sky (picture 4); it was a relaxing tour on the river, far from the city noise, in a different ambience, but now, it’s almost night, we are coming back to the quay (picture 5)

kokoryko's Profile Photo

242 Tran Binh Trong, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
132-134 Dong Khoi Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
21 - 23 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai St, Ho Chi Minh City, 70000, Vietnam
Hotels
Corner Hai Ba Trung St. &, Le Duan Blvd, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, 70000, Vietnam

Make a boat tour on the river!

There are agencies which offer tours on the Saigon River, taking you to some attractions; I myself chose (like few years ago!) to hire a small boat for myself alone which I found on the shore of the river, near the hydrofoil terminal.
Spending two hours on the river, looking at the boats, big ones, small ones, all sorts of boats from the heavy freighters to the little barques crossing the river, looking at people on the boats, just a short dive in a world I do not know, enjoy discovering bits of life on the river. . . and I dream in those situations. . . . .
Interesting are some big boats, like this one on picture 3, registered (convenience flag!) in Ulan Baatar, showing that there is a Mongolian navy!
I am always amazed by people living on boats, making their boats like houses, and here (picture 2) the ladies have open space for preparing food. . . Other ladies like on the main picture just make short trips on the river, passing by giants of the oceans.
All sorts of boats and all sorts of goods; the small boats are rather slow, adapted to the river, and on this one (picture 4), carrying palm leaves, people have time for a sleep; and here (picture 5), the river grocery, with drinking water, sweets, food; that sort of boat probably goes up far small rivers to isolated villages, where even the trucks do not arrive. . . (Possibly).

kokoryko's Profile Photo
kokoryko
Nov 17, 2008

Touring Saigon with your kids?

We travel around the world on a regular basis. It is easy to travel through
Europe, Singapore, or even Dubai. Being an American, when our company asked us
to spend a month in Vietnam, we could not find any information on what to do
with your children.

We did some extensive research on different sites - tripadvisor, yahoo travel,
etc. Finally we decided to chose Jason's All Stars tour company (my husband would be at work
all day and the kids and I would just be sitting in a hotel - a very nice
hotel...but still a hotel). Check out our pictures from the trip at http://
pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mtra1723/
album?.dir=7977scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//
my_photos.

The Cu Chi Tunnels tour was great. My one year old really loved crawling
through the tunnels and my 16 year old got to fire an automatic riffle. We also got to go on a Saigon city tour to see the Saigon Colonial, Chinatown & Saigon Village. See how laquerware is made. Cao Dai Holy See, Kim Phuc's village. Eat Elephant Ear Fish Soup. The kids got to
drive a boat down the Mekong Delta and eat different rice candies. Vung Tau
was quiet a ride but the beaches were beautiful and you needed a dip in the
water after climbing up to see the statue of Jesus!

Even though we did not opt for on of the (hop on a bus with 20 other people tours)
With Jason's we still got to do all of the popular tourist stops and got to create
specialized tours to stop at places the kids wanted to see (water parks, water
puppet show), etc. If you are in Vietnam with your kids, check them out at
www.vietnamtourjason.com.

mtra1723
Oct 20, 2006

CITY TOUR - HALF DAY

To have a general view about HCMC, just spend half day to go around Saigon. Let's start your tour from Nguyen Hue Square at the corner Nguyen Hue - Le Loi, picture Opera House & HCMC People's Commitee which lies opposite with the square (30 minutes), then spend 1 hour to visit Reunification Palace - the former residence of the President of South Vietnam until end of April 1975, 1 hour to walk through 30/4 Park after that to Notre Dame Cathedral (a Neo-Romanesque structure built 100 years ago) , Centre Post Office (here, you can choose some nice postcard to send to your friends or relatives at home) and end your trip at bustling Ben Thanh Market.
These places are all in city center and can be found easily. So, don't buy a tour, just walk with a city map :)

NeverGrowOld's Profile Photo
NeverGrowOld
Aug 09, 2005

Cyclo touring

They will be after you wherever you go! It can be quite overwhelming and exhausting especially whne you've just arrived. It is worth taking a cyclo tour for a unique view of the city and for the adrenaline rush! Be very clear though exactly how long you want a tour for and where to go.

Bleary eyed and killing time for our room to be ready in the hotel, we were stuck on cyclos for 2 hours in the hot sun, just off the plane and too exhausted to argue! A good initiation to Saigon but a slightly unwelcome one!

jolou's Profile Photo

JonnyVN's Profile Photo

JonnyVN

"Home"

xuessium

"IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
SirRichard's Profile Photo

SirRichard

"Former Saigon"
balhannah's Profile Photo

balhannah

"Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
View Member

Take a city tour in a cyclo

I'm not all too keen on the people who drive a cyclo (a bike or motorbike with a little cart to transport people or goods), whom I call the cyclopes. But to see the main interesting points of Saigon, there's no better way than hiring a cyclope for a day. They know all the places, and can give you some advice on the way. I suggest the bike-cyclopes, cos it's a lovely way to explore the Saigon highlists. Choose from the list the cyclope carries with him, and at the end of the day, don't forget to bargain.

mango13's Profile Photo
mango13
Jun 09, 2003

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) DAy Tour

A typical city tour highlights centuries of timeless traditions and the beauty of Vietnam's ancient culture, as well as more recent Western influences. You will see the neo-Romanesque architecture of Notre Dame Cathedral, the French-style Central Post Office and City Hall. Then on to the War Remnants Museum, and Ben Thanh Market, Saigon's central market. In the Chinese sector called Cholon, visit Binh Tay Market and 19th century Thien Hau Pagoda.

Notre Dame Cathedral. Pretty red brick French colonial Notre Dame Cathedral. Built last century from materials all imported from France. The cathedral was built between 1877 and 1883 and has two 40-metre towers.

Central Post Office (Buu Dien Truing Tam). The post office was built between 1886-1891 and is the largest post office in Viet Nam. This French colonial structure was completed in 1891 and houses an enormous map of old Indochina.

City Hall (Hotel de Ville). Saigon's gingerbread Hôtel de Ville, is now the somewhat incongruous home of the Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee. It was built between 1901 and 1908 after years of the sort of architectural controversy peculiar to the French.

War Remnants Museum. Established in September 1975. It contains countless artifacts, photographs and pictures documenting some of the less heroic activities carried out by the US army in Vietnam. Displays illustrate the killing of civilians, the spreading of toxic defoliant, the torturing of prisoners. Planes, tanks, bombs and helicopters are also on display.

Ben Thanh Market. At all of its four sides the Market is always loaded with varieties of goods, such as consumer goods, cakes and candies, and particularly high-quality fruit and vegetables.

Cholon, the City's Chinatown is one of the oldest parts of Saigon and serves as the Chinatown for the city.

Thien Hau Pagoda. This early 19th century pagoda is dedicated to the worship of both Buddha and Thien Hau Thanh Mau - Goddess of the Sea and protector of sailors.

karaboo's Profile Photo
karaboo
Jan 06, 2003

Things to Do Near Ho Chi Minh City

Bitexco Financial Tower

I simply love the BHD Cinema Experience. And they have the best Caramel Popcorn in town! Also for girls who love UK Shopping Brands, they have TopShop, TopMan, Warehouse, etc. over here. For a...

Cholon Mosque

The Cholon Mosque in Saigon's Chinatown is representative of the city's small Malaysian and Indonesian Muslim communities. Built in 1932, the blue and white house of worship is an island of simplistic...

Diamond Plaza

Not exactly a classic Saigon landmark, but it's a favorite with expats. Inside is a mall that's indistinguishable from an American mall, until you look closely at the products on the shelves. Upstairs...

Chinatown

Temple in Cholon (Chinatown). Thien Hau, the lady of the sea is known as Matzu in China and is the chief diety of this temple which sits in the Chinatown of Saigon near the benh thanh market area in...

Fito Museum of traditional Vietnamese medicine

While I confess I'm in the Minchin school when it comes to 'alternative' medicine, the Fito Museum of traditional Vietnamese medicine is worth a trip away from the centre. Set over four floors of an...

Cafe Zoom

WHEN YOU WALK AROUND SAIGON YOU REALLY CANT HELP BUT NOTICE THAT THERE IS QUITE A FEW MOTORBIKES IN THIS BUZZING CITY.. THREE MILLION OR THERE ABOUTS !! THE MOTORBIKES ZOOMING AROUND THE CITY IS A...

Getting to Ho Chi Minh City

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map