Map &

4-Day Bike Tour from Hue to Hoi An Ancient Town Including My Son Sanctuary
From $744.00

Taxis Tips (53)

Taxi choices

There are numerous taxi services available in Ho Chi Minh City, but the most professional we found was Vinasun. They have a number of taxi ranks around the city, at which you will be given a slip with the details of the car which will take you in case you need to make a complaint. We also hailed them on the street and they always used their meters. Most of the fleet seemed to be medium sized Hondas and Toyotas. Their number is below.

We also used Uber three times - cheap and reliable but they seemed to use small cars (Kia Morning) so they are a little less comfortable. We used Grab once, and that was a Honda City.

Gyppo's Profile Photo
Jun 15, 2016

Uber in Vietnam

If you have the Uber app, it works just fine in Vietnam and with Uber, it's impossible for the driver to rip you off since the entire ride is tracked by Uber. Download and set up your uber account before you leave your home country. You can order the car with your phone if you have inserted a Vietnam sim card or if you have wifi. I found uber drivers to be plentiful in HCMC and never waited long for a pick up. Always reasonably priced.

Mar 08, 2016

City Taxi

Taxis are not cheap to get around the city, but they're certainly good and better than those bicycle and motorbikes in big cities like Hanoi and HCMC

When I look at it, taxi drivers in Saigon are all the same. What matters to them is only about money, and they thought all tourist has a lot of money

We figured out some of taxi drivers are smart ! they can make your ride longer to appear at their running meter. Be sure you remember some any streets on the way to your hotel or have a map of the city

If you don't know where to go, the taxi driver will love that. Most taxi drivers in Saigon are dishonest. Be careful when taking a taxi especially at night

We only take taxi from Mai Linh and Vinasun, drivers are still the same as the others but at least is a reputable taxi

shavy's Profile Photo
Oct 05, 2015

Don't use Song Viet Airport pickup

I came back to visit HCMC last week and they had this new airport pick up service called Song Viet. They looked professional at first so I went with them because from the airport to my place was short and sometimes taxi driver refused to do short trip. However, there driver was very dodgy and annoying. A few points on why you should never travel with these guy:

1. They charged higher price than taxi. From airport to District 1(city center) would cost around 6-8usd for taxi. They charged fixed price of 11usd.

2. The driver begged me for tips then gave it back and insulted me after I had given him about 4usd. He insisted I should give him at least 8usd. I told him to fck off. Talked to receptionist at my hotel and a lot of the guests had complained about this issue so I believe it was not just him but the majority of their drivers.

3. The driver talked on the phone while driving with another hotel owner and tried to convince me to change to that hotel. He refused to tell me the name of the hotel after I said I had paid for this one and would not want to change. Sound dodgy as hell.

May 23, 2015
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City

253 Nguyen Van Troi St, Phu Nhuan District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
323 Le Van Sy Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
242 Tran Binh Trong, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
132-134 Dong Khoi Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
21 - 23 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai St, Ho Chi Minh City, 70000, Vietnam
Corner Hai Ba Trung St. &, Le Duan Blvd, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, 70000, Vietnam

Mai Linh taxi from Airport to District 1

I exited the international arrival hall and headed left. I saw a few taxis but chose a dark green Mai Linh taxi to District 1. The fare was VND 132,000 which is reasonable, but I was quite irritated when the cab driver insisted I pay 140,000. I asked him twice, loudly, where was my 8,000 change but he pretended not to be able to understand English and never returned me my change.

I have read that these kinds of scams are rampant and I would have tipped him the 8,000 VND but I don't like how he just pretended not to understand and kind of scammed me. I expected more from a 'reliable' can company. Sigh

Guess the lesson here is to try and get as much small change as possible so you don't get scammed in future.

Jul 21, 2014

Tan Son Nhat Airport to District 1 of H.C.M.C

We arrived at Ho Chi Minh City's Tan Son Nhat Airport, around 6km north of the city, at the start of our visit to Vietnam in May 2013.

The following information regarding our travel between the airport and our hotel (located next to Ben Thanh Market in District 1 of the city) was correct as of that date:

Tan Son Nhat Airport to District 1 of H.C.M.C

As we were staying at our chosen accommodation (Tan Hai Long Hotel) for more than 3 nights we were entitled to a free airport pick-up on arrival. I emailed the hotel with our flight details and expected arrival time about a week prior to our trip and they emailed back to confirm that a driver would be waiting outside the arrivals hall with a placard bearing our names.

Many hotels offer a similar pick-up service (either free or for a small charge), so it is worth investigating the possibilities when you make your booking.

Our journey from the airport to the city centre was at around 7:10am on a Sunday morning. At that time, the traffic on the roads was relatively light and fast-flowing and we arrived at our hotel in around 20 minutes. The same journey could easily take an hour or more during busier times of the day.

District 1 of H.C.M.C to Tan Son Nhat Airport

We were fortunate that our return journey to the airport was also early in the morning before the traffic had built up. This time, it was around 6:30am on a Thursday morning.

We had seen airport transfers advertised around the Pham Ngu Lao backpacker area for 150,000 – 160,000 VND (ca. £5), but we decided to flag down a taxi on the street. We didn't have any problems finding a taxi; no sooner had we stepped out of the hotel than a Vinasun taxi (which we knew to be a reliable company with metered taxis) pulled up outside.

The driver turned on the meter and the final fare was 135,000 VND (ca. £4.50).

The journey time on this occasion was 25 minutes. Again, it would have taken significantly longer in heavier traffic, so plan your trip to the airport accordingly.

SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
Jun 08, 2013

Most people I talk to know about the two reliable cab companies, but I still read how people are getting ripped off to this day, and how they are getting ripped off is absurd. Anyway the two taxi company that the meters work right and they won't take you for a ride is VINASUN AND Mailinh, 38 38 38 38 is the number on the side of the door VINASUN 38 27 27 27

xymmot's Profile Photo
Feb 05, 2013

Airport Taxi

Nit and Mike are dead on right, Walk out of the airport, do not freak if you see a crowd of people waiting for friends and family.
Off to the left at the road you will see the taxi stand. Usually they will speak a bit of English. They will get you in a taxi. Tell them you want meter.
I also write down the hotel and/or the street name to show the driver if he acts "confused".
Another word of advise, just before you get to the outside doors, you will see some kiosks to exchange money. Check them all out as their rates are sometimes different. Get some Vietnam Dong. You will really not find a better rate elsewhere and it is wise to have some VN Dong on hand right away, like for the taxi.
Lastly, check others posts. There is alot of good advise to help you make the right choices.
Have fun

JonnyVN's Profile Photo

SirRichard's Profile Photo

"Former Saigon"
balhannah's Profile Photo

"Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"

Choose the right taxi

We arrived in the airport around 1230am and in the arrival area, lots of taxis were waiting outside. I know that the taxi drivers will not agree to use their meters (knowing that tourists are everywhere, taking disadvantage is expected) so I asked one of the drivers how much is the fare going to Pham Ngu Lao Road. I was astounded when he said, 2M VND which is somewhat equivalent to 95USD and that's too much! Same offer we had from the other taxi drivers... But I read one of the travel books that the fare from the airport going to our place should not be more than 1M VND. My friends and I waited for a while to think what we should do. I asked one of the janitors if there were any taxi bay nearby, he said to go upstairs in the departure area and that's what we did.

We walked until we reached the end corner of the departure area and then we saw this white "Mailinh" Taxi. The driver was sleeping and we tried to woke him up. We asked him if he can bring us to our hostel. We were so relieved when he nodded and switched on the taxi meter. You wouldn't believe it that we only paid 500,000VND and that's very far form 2M VND right?

So, in choosing taxis, look only for Mailinh and Vinasun taxis. these are the only taxis that use meters and also are the good ones according to the locals we've met.

theguardianangel's Profile Photo
Nov 08, 2012

Saigon Taxi, Cheap way around Sai Gon

Taxis are the most comfortable way of getting around saigon, and it's easy and safe to flag a taxi anywhere, anytime. But A Caveat, some taxis have rigged meters that increase the fare too fast hence you must only ride the accredited taxis like the Siagon Tourist Taxis and more. the flag down rate is 15,000 VND ( $ 0.70) for first 2 kilometers and additonal 8,000 VND every kilometer thereafter and they don't expect tips plus THEY ISSUE RECIEPTS!

For 4-Seater:

* Free Toll in City, Hanoi Highway, Binh Trieu, Phu Lam Station and
Tan Son Nhat Airport
* Highest Insurance coverage of 10,000 USD per passenger
* Accurate Fare Meters

other Taxi Compamies: Call Vinasun (84-8-827-2727) or Saigon Taxi (84-8-823-2323).

machomikemd's Profile Photo
Jun 13, 2012

if you get a good taxi driver

if you get a good taxi driver - one that gets you to your destination efficiently and seems to try hard, maybe will stop the meter for you to pick up something etc. You can ask him for his cell number. Then when you want a taxi call him or text. For example he will wait for you to eat dinner then you dont have to go find another taxi etc. Can be much easier for a tourist that way. Kind of like your own personal taxi sometimes.

Vinasun number one !

Dec 20, 2011

Beware Ho Chi Minh City "Airport fee"

When travelling from the airport to your hotel beware of taxi drivers who try to scam you because you are new to the country, specifically by asking for 'airport fee'. The taxi drivers are charged 5000 dong to go into the airport and you are expected to pay this. However when I got my taxi from the airport I was charged 120,000 dong. I generously gave the driver 150,000 dong (because I was ***ting myself as I didn't even know where I was). He saw my nervousness and demanded 50,000 dong extra as an airport fee. I didn't want to argue and because it was only 3AU dollars I just gave it to him and go away fine. He did drop me off in front of my hotel. If I could go back in time with the knowledge I have now I would suggest just keeping your whits about you. I have been in numerous taxi's since and never had a big issue. The only other thing that often happens to me is I got to a destination and the taxi drivers never have 'correct change'. So if it costs 70000 dong and you give 100000 they might not have 30,000 dong (or claim they don't) and might only give you 15,000 dong back. You can beat this by having lots of big and small notes.

Good luck!

Oct 19, 2011

Things To Do in Ho Chi Minh City

Bitexco Financial Tower

I simply love the BHD Cinema Experience. And they have the best Caramel Popcorn in town! Also for girls who love UK Shopping Brands, they have TopShop, TopMan, Warehouse, etc. over here. For a...

Post Office

This 19th century building is another great example of the legacy of French colonial architecture left in the City. its still an active post office and the inside is as ornate as the outside and not...

Cholon Mosque

The Cholon Mosque in Saigon's Chinatown is representative of the city's small Malaysian and Indonesian Muslim communities. Built in 1932, the blue and white house of worship is an island of simplistic...

Diamond Plaza

Not exactly a classic Saigon landmark, but it's a favorite with expats. Inside is a mall that's indistinguishable from an American mall, until you look closely at the products on the shelves. Upstairs...
Things to do

Temple in Cholon (Chinatown). Thien Hau, the lady of the sea is known as Matzu in China and is the chief diety of this temple which sits in the Chinatown of Saigon near the benh thanh market area in...

Fito Museum of traditional Vietnamese medicine

While I confess I'm in the Minchin school when it comes to 'alternative' medicine, the Fito Museum of traditional Vietnamese medicine is worth a trip away from the centre. Set over four floors of an...

Getting to Ho Chi Minh City

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!