Map &

3-Night Sapa Tour Including Round-Trip Rail from Hanoi
From $175.00
Hanoi Old Quarter Half-Day Walking Tour
From $20.00

69 Bar Restaurant Tips (9)

69 Bar Restaurant: Hanoi restaurant

69 is situated in a old house, over two floors. We sat on the balcony overlooking the street - had fresh spring rolls and Hanoi spring rolls, eggplant and rice, chicken chilli and beers. Cost $25. English menu and English spekaing staff.

TheAndos's Profile Photo
Mar 21, 2012

Bar 69 Restaurant: Fantastic Food in Hanoi Old Quarter

We were very fortunate indeed to be staying in a hotel in Ma May Street in Hanoi's old quarter. The very first day my husband discovered the 69 restaurant which unsurprisingly is at 69 Ma May St. Being so close to our hotel we did end up using it on many occasions . For lunch and dinner both dining in and taking away.

It is set in one of the original houses from the old quarter , only one room wide but going back in depth. The decor was very authentic 18th century Hanoi.
We really loved the attention to service from the even to the way they showed me how to eat the Cha Ca fish which is a Hanoi specialty dish and oh so good.

On the last day we went to say goodbye and my husband asked one of the female waiters if she had gone to school in american beacause she spoke perfect english with an american accent. She laughed at him and said no she had learnt english from the american tv show friends...HA HA..

Favorite Dish Some of our favourite dishes included their spring rolls, chicken thighs 69 style, the Cha Ca fish ,sesame coated squid the outer coat was crunchy and I was amazed the sesame seeds stayed coated onto the squid . The squid was tender inside and beautifully cooked. I'll let the photos do all the talking.

Chicken Pho Soup was my daughters all time favourite .It also comes in beef as well. This to me will always be the signature dish of Hanoi I'd say. Along with Bun Cha it is on every Hanoi restaurant menu and also available on every street corner as a local dish too. We even had it included on our breakfast menu at our hotel. It is so different to any other asian noodle soup that I have tried. The reason is the soup base has a distincly different group of flavours. Ginger that has been bbq'd and peeled, cloves, star anise and cinnamon. Fresh corander and spring onion greens along with beansprouts are added last as a garnish. The broth is light and delicate but is bursting with so much flavour

I can say that every meal we had was beautifully cooked and the staff were extremely attentive. The drinks were cold and in the really humid heat of the Hanoi summer they sat us upstairs in front of the air-conditioner, that was much appreciated.

nezz's Profile Photo
May 28, 2011

69 Bar Restaurant: 69 Bar Restaurant

Located in the soul of Hanoi's old quarters is 69 Bar Restaurant where u can dine in Vietnamese traditional ambience of a restored ancient house which was built in the 19the century.

Try the local authentic Vietnamese food.

imstress's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

69 Bar Restaurant: Come here for drinks, not food.

Somehow the restaurant did not live up the good reviews. True, the building, a beautifully restored Vietnamese house, is very atmospheric. But the food failed to impress me.

I ordered very traditional Vietnamese food: seafood spring roll, this time, fried. It was heavily breaded, you could hardly taste the seafood. My mains, marinated pork barbeque over coals, were more like pork patties and they were tasteless; so was the dipping sauce. And the dessert of flamed banana with orange sauce was very bitter. The only redeeming factor was the Vietnamese coffee. But that could hardly compensate for the below par meal.

And while having all these, diners were serenaded with Silent Night, yes Silent Night the Christmas carol - and it was way past Christmas! Strange place.

Tijavi's Profile Photo

13 Luong Ngoc Quyen Str., Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
13 Luong Ngoc Quyen, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
61 Luong Ngoc Quyen Street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, 00844, Vietnam

69: duck a la orange

This was another place that was just down the road from where I stayed in the Old Quarter, just across the road from New Day restaurant. Unlike the New Day, this place is far more upmarket with nice dark wooden interior, wooden tables and mirrors. I went for a western dish - duck a la orange (see second photo) which came with mashed potatoes and veg and was pretty good if a little skimpy on the portions. Good food.

Willettsworld's Profile Photo
May 12, 2010

69 Bar Restaurant: Terrible

Nice Old House, worth to take a look. Decent wine selection at reasonable prices. But: We waited for our food order for one hour and then left without eating. Absolutely ridiculous service. Maybe the cook was asleep or they ran out of ingredients, but I do not recommend this place as a restaurant. Take a look, take a picture, have a glass of wine and then go eat somewhere else!

Favorite Dish Don't know... never got the food.

Jan 24, 2008

69 Bar Restaurant: Great food

Favorite Dish This restaurant was one of the better restaurants in terms of enjoying the food especially the local fish speciality.

The only down side was that everywhere we looked was a westerner and a Lonely Planet book!

albaaust's Profile Photo
Oct 28, 2006

69 Bar Restaurant: Great people

I came here my first evening in Hanoi and just kept coming back any time I was in town.
As for the hotel, my coming back was something like a visit to old friends, the manager of the reastarant, Huong, is always extremely helpful with travel and dishes tips.

xaver's Profile Photo
Dec 10, 2003
bpacker's Profile Photo

"The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
kokoryko's Profile Photo

"Good morning Hanoi !"
King_Golo's Profile Photo

"Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
imstress's Profile Photo

victorwkf's Profile Photo

"Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"

69 Bar Restaurant: 300 year old House now a restaurant in old city

a three hundred year old house, multistoried with a veranda, renovated to seat diners in various separate areas, either western or eastern style, serving eastern and western food plus drinks

Favorite Dish spring rolls (coi guon tom ga )
griller skewer chicken with rice noodles ( ga xien muong cuon bun banh da )
sauteed water spinach with garlic (rau muong xao toi)
sauteed green vegetables with garlic (ran cai chao dau thue cat)

cochinjew's Profile Photo
Dec 07, 2002

Things To Do Near 69 Bar Restaurant

Indochina Junk

Indochina Junk ran our tour to and of Ha Long Bay. We took the Dragon Legend tour, which is one night. It began with pick up from our hotel (also arranged by IJ) in a luxury van at 7.30am - we were...

City View Cafe

Having visited Hanoi 5 times,i generally like to visit City view Cafe on the 5th floor over looking Hoan Kiem Lake with a nice Bia Hoi. Sadly over the years i feel the standard of service has gone...

Water Puppet Show

I highly recommend tourist to spend an hour watching this show because you weren't be able to see this play in other countries. It really represent vietnam. It really talk about skill. Try to book in...

Ngoc Son Temple

A short walk from the Old Quarter, along the east side of Hoan Kiem lake, this small temple is located on a little island on the lake. To reach the temple, you have to cross a charming and very...

Women's Museum

This interesting exhibition on Hanoi’s street vendors was on display, upstairs, at the Women’s Museum and is well worthy of a visit even if the main museum part, downstairs, isn’t! It exhibits many...

Opera House

Hanoi's opera house is well worth a short visit because of its impressive outside. It looks like a giant French colonial mansion and is really a beautiful building. The building was constructed to...

Getting to 69 Bar Restaurant