Map &

From $160.00
2-Day Halong Bay Signature Cruise from Hanoi
From $383.00

Cyclo Tips (23)

Cyclo a better way to get around

Cyclo is not a type of transport I want to use around in Saigon, because of the traffic. But here in Hanoi it was okay when I saw is less crazy (traffic). I find it a lot better than motorbike. If Cyclo driver good with English, he can be as your tour guide as well. Besides, it didn't go faster and while you are in it, easy to take a photo on the street scene. That way, you never miss anything. The Cyclo can go further than you think and I find it safer than motorbike

And also the city of Hanoi is more beautiful and compact which is easy to walk around. I wanted to ride a Cyclo and when I see the crazy streets in Saigon I have change my mind on getting into it. I found it dangerous!. In Hanoi I have the chance to ride a Cyclo. Cyclo driver can be sometime a theive or scammer whatever you call it. Be careful, always negotiate the price before you take.

Cyclo driver always overprice the tourist, they take advantage to innocent visitor. Do not let yourself fool by them! always ask how much he charge for a ride? before getting to his vehicle, he always say his own price, haggle below 50% to his price and if he did not agree, add 5-10% on it more not. And if he is not agree to your price, walk away and he will call you and agreed to your price.

Our Cyclo driver charge us 250.000 Dong for two, we only need a ride to Mausoleum it was too much, we could take a taxi to that price. I bargain the price to 50.000 Dong. At first he don't want it, so, we walk away and he called that he'll take us for the price. Those Cyclo drivers are worst than taxi driver, taxi is better at least they have a running meter

shavy's Profile Photo
Mar 15, 2015

Many Cyclos in Hanoi

On every corner are cylco owners who try to get you to hire them for an hour or two. They charge 200,000 dong an hour and dont worry if the two of you cant fit in the one carriage as they always have a friend on stand by waiting to assist. If you do decide to take a ride please be firm and make sure you know how long you want to go for . It is a very relaxing way to see the city.

Tattugran's Profile Photo
Jun 23, 2009

yooooo... Cyclo!

It¡¦s very excing to get around Hanoi by cyclo. I recommend you hiring cyclo through tourist agents since you will make sure where they take you and how much you will have to pay.
If you want to take it by yourself be sure that you are good at bargaining ļ Just tell them the places you want to go and bargant, jump on it and let the tour begin!

The most popular Cyclo provider is from Sans Souci Tourist Company or you can get any cyclo you meet in the old streets.

Price: Around 50.000 VND (3 usd) for 2 hours trip to get along old streets.

Ladyfromasia's Profile Photo
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Toads Wild Ride - Cylco style

For trips outside of the Old Quarter but inside the city itself cyclos were my favorite form of transportation. The Cyclos in Hanoi are wider than the Saigon version so two fit Westerns can usually cram into one…although they are pretty inexpensive so you can easily hire one for yourself.

Cyclos are amazing contraptions where you are sitting IN FRONT of the driver who is on a bicycle behind you so you really feel part of the crazy street traffic without the vulnerable feeling of being on the back of a motorbike (also available). The breeze often kept you cooler than in taxis (Vietnamese have an aversion to using AC in cars they think it takes too much gas)

When taking a cyclo make sure you agree on a price BEFORE you get on and write it down. If your putting two people in one cyclo make sure you get the price for both people…or you will get to your destination and find the price has doubled. I found it easier to hire the cyclos by the day or by the hour then by the trip. Most of the sights in Hanoi don’t take a lot of time so having the drive wait while your in the museum.

From a letter home
It's not quite lunchtime so we are off for another one of Mr. Toad’s wild rides on a cyclo to see more of Hanoi. There is just no way to describe the traffic here. We actually saw our first red light this morning and we almost took a picture since it is so rare. Imagine thousands and thousands and thousands of bikes and motorcycles on the roads with no stops signs or apparent rules. When you hit an intersection, everyone just keeps on going. On a 4 way intersection on a one or two lane road you may have 100 motorcycles in the intersection at once...all going different directions...about 50% coming straight at you. I really enjoy being on the cyclo (where you sit in FRONT of the driver in a buggy) and are part of it all.

tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

10/50 Dao Duy Tu Str., Old Quarter, Hoan Kiem Dist.,, 10000
42 Hang Cot, Old Quarter, Hoan Kiem, 10000
10 Chan Cam Street, 1000

Good fun tranportation

Cyclo is a cheap transportation around Hanoi. It is fantastic of watching the crowd and the chaotic traffic.

When we are tired of walking we catch cyclo. Make sure you know where you want to go. Negotiate with the price before you hop on. Don't bargain to hard remember they have low income and they work hard, physically probably harder than you.

Around the Old Quarter we usually pay the cyclo driver around $2 to $3. They will accept US dollar.

fachd's Profile Photo
Mar 09, 2008

Be Mellow In A Cyclo

Updated: Just realised I had to update this tip, which was written some years ago. After my last trip to Hanoi in Dec 2006, I must say that NOOO... you don't have to go searching for cyclos anymore... they're EVERYWHERE! And it can get very annoying when they cycle along with you as you're walking along the roads... every street corner there'll be at least one or two and they'll even holler at you from across the street "Woo-oo, woo-oo!" "Hello hello? Hello miss!!! Missss??!!! Cyclo ride??? One hour???" *sigh*

Original tip: Like the "beca" or trishaw in Penang, and the tuk tuk in Thailand, these cyclos are a must ride in Hanoi! They're not available in all street corners though, you do have to walk around a bit and come upon some of them by chance... they're not more expensive than the motorcycle taxis so try one sometime!

The Melia Hanoi hotel have a few of their own cyclos too, but these guys I found outside the Sofitel Metropole Hotel
15 Ngo Quyen Street, Hanoi.. which is also where the Malaysia Airlines office is.

mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
Mar 27, 2007

cheap ride around

try to get a cyclo rider that speaks at least a lill english and u have yourself a free guide as well,well, sorta.
the ride codt me USD1 per hour and i hired him for about 4 hours,paid for his lunch and beer, cos i really wanted to taste the local food.he could spoke all right english and all.but at the bottom of our 4th beer,he was speaking to me in vietnamese.hahahaha.
he was a really nice guy and brought me to some festival where we met a few more friends and drank rice wine sitting on some grass patch and his wife was bbq-ing cuttlefish by the side.

ratinacage's Profile Photo
Sep 10, 2006

Cyclo---U must bargain

It can be used for short distance trips especially after your shopping adventure. The damage should be USD 1 or less if you bargain. If not, the cost will be doubled or tripled. In addition, there are many to choose as they will flocked to you. Try to take those who are cycling around instead of those who are staying out in a spot. Pay only when you reached your destination!!

Applelyn's Profile Photo
Apr 26, 2006
bpacker's Profile Photo

"The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
kokoryko's Profile Photo

"Good morning Hanoi !"
King_Golo's Profile Photo

"Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
imstress's Profile Photo

victorwkf's Profile Photo

"Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"

Getting around with cyclo

The best way to have sightseeing in Hanoi, especially in Old Quarter, is to hail a cyclo. You can pay by trip or hourly. The cost is about 30000VND per hour for 1 person or 40000VND per hour for 2 persons. It's quite worth as you can enjoy sitting and taking picture along the 36 streets in Old Quarter.

beruangndut's Profile Photo
Apr 03, 2006

Cyclos not too long ago were still one of the primary methods of movement in Hanoi. Increasingly they exist mainly for tourists. If it is your first time in Hanoi the cyclo can be a very good form of transportation. The drivers generally have good english skills and know everything about their town. Make sure that you bargain and agree to a price beforehand. Paying upfront can be a good idea. Carry exact change as the guys never have change. It should be about $2 USD for an hour if you bargain hard enough.

Blatherwick's Profile Photo
Mar 06, 2006

Deal the price before you get on cyclo and make sure you have exact change because they always say they dont have a change for you. Keep your eyes open all the itme --- you sit in front of the driver !!!

Animas's Profile Photo
Jan 18, 2006

Ride a Cyclo

Unlike the cyclos in Ho Chi Minh City, the cyclos here will actually take you to where you want to go and only of you’re interested. Otherwise, they will leave you alone.

This ride across town cost us 16,000VND ($1US). We sat and watched as traffic swerved to avoid us. Great fun!

guell's Profile Photo
Dec 30, 2004

Things To Do in Hanoi

Indochina Junk

Indochina Junk ran our tour to and of Ha Long Bay. We took the Dragon Legend tour, which is one night. It began with pick up from our hotel (also arranged by IJ) in a luxury van at 7.30am - we were...

City View Cafe

Having visited Hanoi 5 times,i generally like to visit City view Cafe on the 5th floor over looking Hoan Kiem Lake with a nice Bia Hoi. Sadly over the years i feel the standard of service has gone...

Water Puppet Show

I highly recommend tourist to spend an hour watching this show because you weren't be able to see this play in other countries. It really represent vietnam. It really talk about skill. Try to book in...

Ngoc Son Temple

A short walk from the Old Quarter, along the east side of Hoan Kiem lake, this small temple is located on a little island on the lake. To reach the temple, you have to cross a charming and very...

Women's Museum

This interesting exhibition on Hanoi’s street vendors was on display, upstairs, at the Women’s Museum and is well worthy of a visit even if the main museum part, downstairs, isn’t! It exhibits many...

Old Quarter

Last month, me and my friend headed in Hanoi to attend a wedding of my friend. She married a vietnamese man so we went to hanoi to joined with her. But Hanoi is so beutiful so we decided to stay more...

Getting to Hanoi

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!