map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Sydney and Bondi Hop-on Hop-off Tour
"With a warm and mild climate year-round the open-air double-decker coach tour is a perfect way to sightsee in Sydney and Bondi. Hop aboard the open-top double-decker bus at any of the 34 stops around the city. Enjoy live commentary from your onboard guide as you sit back and relax on the full ride which takes about 90 minutes or hop off to sightsee and explore at your own pace.Discover Sydney's highlights including the Sydney Opera House Sydney Harbour Bridge the historic Rocks district and Sydney’s CBD (Central Business District). Hop off the coach to browse the stores in modern shopping areas or grab a bite to eat at the bustling Sydney Fish Market. Stretch your legs as you stroll around the Royal Botanic G
From AUD45.00

Sydney Shore Excursion: Sydney and Bondi Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
"For great views of Sydney and Bondi while you’re in port in Sydney travel around the city in an open-top double-decker bus. The Sydney and Bondi routes take you around the world's most beautiful harbor past towering skyscrapers iconic buildings like the Sydney Opera House the iron-lace terrace houses of Paddington Double Bay’s millionaires’ mansions and legendary Bondi Beach. Sydney’s year-round climate of blue skies and sunshine makes it the ideal location for an open-top bus ride while in port.You can hop on and off as many times as you like aboard both each tour takes approximately 90 minutes and includes interesting on-board commentary. The bus departs every 15 to 20 minutes from each stop and tickets are valid for 24 hours from first use. The tours connect at 100 William Street or Central Station sto
From AUD45.00

Australian Museum General Entry Ticket
"Arrive at the Australian Museum at a time that suits you — your ticket is valid anytime the museum is open and includes entrance to the permanent exhibits. Three floors house some of the more than 18 million items in the museum’s collection including priceless fossils and unusual artifacts. The minerals collection alone holds more than 53000 specimens from Australia and abroad.In the Surviving Australia exhibition marvel at massive animals that once roamed Australia including giant wombats and echidnas. See live animals such as a baby freshwater crocodile a python and lizards; then find out how the most dangerous creatures hunt their prey. The Indigenous Australians and Garrigarrang Sea Country exhibits provides an in-depth look at the Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders
From AUD15.00

Scenic Walks Tips (29)

Watson's Bay

We did a day trip to Watson's Bay to meet up with Laura for lunch at Doyle's at the Beach. After lunch Laura had to rush home so we decided to explore more of Watson's Bay.

The Bay has some of the most amazing views. Watson's Bay is located on the southern head of the entrance to Sydney Harbour. According to my guide book, it is considered the oldest fishing village in Sydney.

Watson's Bay has two walking paths from the warf and we decided to walk south past The Gap, see Signal Station and Macquarie Lighthouse.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Gypsystravels
Jun 07, 2015

Coastal Walk from Bondi to Coogee

Liz and I decided we wanted to do the Coastal Walk from Bondi to Coogee. We both love the ocean and heard the views along this walk were unsurpassed. We began our walk in Bondi on the Promenade. We climbed up the hills and looked down upon the beach and the crashing surf; absolutely beautiful.

We then continued along the path to Mackenzies Point. Here was a beautiful lookout point with water all around. We continued walking and the path went downhill to Tamarama. Tamarama is a small beach with some cafe if you want to catch a bite or a drink. We had our water and decided to walk on. Our next stop was Bronte Beach which is really beautiful. Just past Bronte is Waverly and the huge Waverly Cemetery. As we walked along the cliff(many yards away) we were able to see the headstones, monuments and crosses jutting out from the cliff; eerie but beautiful. Clovelly is a small beach that is very sheltered it almost seems like a pond; no waves. Gordon's Bay right past the beach was very deserted except for a lone man snorkeling. Our final stop on our walk was Coogee. Coogee is a nice sized beach with plenty of shopping and restaurants. This was our final stop on our 2 1/2 hour walk.

The walk was absolutely beautiful; we saw such amazing sights and met some fun people along the way.

**Dress appropriately for walking; some areas are quite steep and the walk is very long. Bring and umbrella and plenty of water. We got drizzled on a bit at the end of our walk.**

cjg1's Profile Photo
cjg1
Feb 26, 2014

Phantom Falls, Kuringai Creek

Now here's a spot I guarantee you haven't heard of - Phantom Falls; an apt name for an ephemeral cascade. Worth a look if you're a keen bushwalker but not if you're just the average Joe who doesn't want to explore.
To get to the base you need to go off piste and cross the falls up top before bush bashing your way downstream keeping your eye out for a gap in the rocks. You only have to go 100-200 metres then it's a fairly steep walk to the bottom.
Once there you will be rock hopping your way back to the falls.
When I was there it was barely flowing so you'll be seeing no spectacular sight, just a gorge with a dribble coming over the rocks.
I should also mention that it's part of the Mueller Track mentioned in an earlier tip.

Jan 21, 2014

Mueller Track

Here's one I'll wager not many have heard of. It's a 2 hour jaunt (rated medium), starting from the Kur-ing-ai Wildflower Garden. It's a loop down to the creek below and back. Although it's only 3 kms, the going isn't easy and there's very little flat sections.
If you're into nature then this is a good walk. However, if you're looking for architecture etc., then give this one a miss.
Gates open at 9 and close at 5 but you can do the walk from other locations at any time you like.
It's advisable to pick up one of the free maps before you start which will let you know about the other trails that you will cross. All the other walks are shorter than the Mueller Track.
There are several walks, from as short as 10 minutes, that start at the gardens.

Dec 30, 2013

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Sydney

359 Crown Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia
21 Oxford St., Paddington, Sydney, New South Wales, 2021, Australia
Hotels
212 Riley Street, (formerly Comfort Inn Cambridge), Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia
Hotels
28 Albion St, (formerly Furama Hotel Central), Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia
267 Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia
Hotels
Wentworth Avenue & Goulburn Street, Sydney, New South Wales, NSW 2010, Australia

Mrs. Macquarie's Bushland Walk

On my first morning in Sydney, I arrived at my hostel, exhausted, jet-lagged and in need of a shower. My room at the hostel wasn't ready yet, so I was recommended to talk a walk and explore. I was pointed to a path that took me along the Botanical Gardens. The name of the path was Mrs. Macquarie's Bushland Walk. There were plants that were transplanted along this route that were from the bushlands, in an effort the preserve the area's beauty.

It's a really nice walk. I started from Pott's Point, proceeded down a long flight of stairs and went past the Blu Hotel. The only sights I seen were the beauty of the flora and the occasional jogger. Once I walked around a sharp curve, the first major sight of Sydney greeted me. The Sydney Opera House! The Botanical Gardens were then within my reach. The fresh sea air from the harbor greeted me.

HispanicYob's Profile Photo
HispanicYob
Sep 13, 2012

Orbit Bar - unlimited free views of Sydney

The higher the better! A good address if you want to admire Sydney from the heights and save some $$$. The great views will cost you only the price of a drink of your choice... compare to the AU$ 25 of the Sydney tower without drink ;-) So head to Australian Square Tower (170 m high) designed by the famous Harry Seidlerand and climb up to the 47th floor... thanks to the lift. Take your comfy seat and order your favourite drink, the revolving bar floor will show you Sydney in every directions.
Hungry? The Summit Restaurant will welcome you with the same view or you could find a large food court at the ground floor.

Enjoy the 360 degrees great views... enjoy Sydney!

Tripack's Profile Photo
Tripack
Jan 10, 2012

NSW National Parks

There are numerous National Park areas in Sydney, its surrounds, and New South Wales.

The NSW National Parks website (listed below) also includes information on Botanic Gardens, State Forests and other natural areas.

Aleyd's Profile Photo
Aleyd
Apr 04, 2011

Stroll through Chinatown

One of the groups of people under the most turmoil in Australia would have to be the Chinese. As immigrants to this country, they have gone through many years of battles for the right to immigrate to Australia, and still to this day are a bit segregated from the rest of the settlers to the new country. Deep in the heart of downtown Sydney however is a rich heritage of Chinese owned business, especially some delicious restaurants! Sarah and I walked through this part of town in search for some good lunch, and saw the difference between Chinese and British cultures. Definitely worth the walk, and worth the time to stop and have lunch.

ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
ATXtraveler
Apr 04, 2011
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"What do you do with your weekend?"
wabat's Profile Photo

wabat

"A Ramble around Sydney"
LadyRVG's Profile Photo

LadyRVG

"Love Those Sydneysiders"

iandsmith

"Sydney - For the discerning tourist"
leffe3's Profile Photo

leffe3

"Sydney"
View Member

Walk, walk and more walking

UM, I love to walk, what can I say. If you do too, you won't be dissappointed in Sydney. There are phenominal coastal trails. Take a ferry from Circular Quay to Mosman Bay, get off anywhere and start your walk toward Manly. Really...that is all I did. I had no map or idea what I was doing but I had a map of the ferry stops and figured I would just walk to the next ferry stop and ride back. I found some great coast trails and if there was not a trail, or if I wanted to see a bit of the neighborhood, I just climbed a few streets then headed back toward the coast and onto a trail. I hiked all the way to the zoo and past but had to head back to the zoo to catch the ferry back as it was getting dark. There is a trail that will take you all the way to Manly. Don't stop there either, keep walking because there are more trails in Manly. Don't do what I did and forget to take a map, no excuses because you can find printable maps at www.wildwalks.com (site below). Print and hike like mad!! Watch out for all the lizards sunning on the rocks.

ratherboutside's Profile Photo
ratherboutside
Feb 07, 2009

Spit Point to Manly

The Manly Scenic Walkway
This was a lovely walk, I think I heard about it through the Lonely Planet. After some searching around for the right bus, which takes you over the Sydney Harbour Bridge the bus driver stopped for me and told me where to start the walk (very friendly).
At first you walk over the bridge (or can get off at the other side, but I wanted to have a look) and are hit by the huge, expensive looking houses!
The walk is well sign posted throughout and you go buy some lovely secluded beaches, very tropical looking, you get wonderful views when you get up high of the city and the coastline, and all the boats bobbing around.
I passed some big lizards and the odd small snake, at the highest point there's some Aboriginal rock carvings to see, you can see why they carved them where they did; spectacular views.
You end up on the far side of Manly, a secluded fishing area then walk around to the main part.
It is 9kms and takes around 3-4 hours, be sure to take plenty of water and your bathers! Watch out for sharks, I read there's not been an attack for 35 years, but they could happen as around most of Australia.
If you don't want to walk back you can hop on the ferry to Darling Habour, make sure you get a nice cold beer on the Manly side first and watch the sun go down, as I did!

northeast80's Profile Photo
northeast80
Jun 22, 2007

Wastons Bay and The Gap

Take a ferry from Circular Quay to Wastons Bay, the view of Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge is great!

At Wastons Bay, do not miss The Gap which is just a few minutes walk from the ferry terminal, it is near the bus stop. The sea view with the cliffs is fantastic!

hanabiwaiwai
Jun 16, 2007

Manly scenic walk from Manly to The Spit;

Get the ferry from Circular Quai to Manly. It's a beautiful boat trip. In Manly get a plan at the tourist office (right at the ferry wharf), walk up to the beach through the shopping street, and then back to the ferry wharf. There you start the Manly scenic walk, down to the Spit. It's a 10km walk, along the water, through the Sydney Harbour national park, along some beaches and bays. A really beautiful walk.
I did it twice: pics here and here

halans's Profile Photo
halans
Jun 26, 2006

Things to Do Near Sydney

Sydney Cricket Ground

During our visit to Sydney in Feb/March 2012; we we fortunate to watch a cricket game here(my first live crisket match). It was Australia vs. India; Australia kicked butt and won. The thing that...

Australian Museum

It had been a number of years since I had visited the Australian Museum but I was recently drawn back, attracted by the fact that it was hosting a special exhibition, Trailblazers, honouring...

Capitol Theatre

Watching Guys and Dolls, a musical at the Capitol Theatre is an enriching experience. The theatre has a very impressive architectural design, both inside and out. The ushers and usherettes are helpful...

Paddington and Paddington Market

Paddington Paddington is well-known for its residential area of leafy tree lined streets, with large three storey Victorian terraces overhanging the tiny narrow lanes, it is an impressive, stylish...

Chinatown

Through a combination of cloud murals/etchings and thirty hanging silver spirit figures artist Jason Wing, of Aboriginal and Chinese descent, made a stunning transformation of the 200 metres long...

Sydney Entertainment Centre

Georgia was excited and honoured to participate in her second Schools Spectacular at the Sydney Entertainment Centre at the end of November 2010. She did this for the first time last year and...

Getting to Sydney

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

Map