Map &

Sydney Bike Tours
From AUD119.00
Sydney Self-Guided Bike Tour
From AUD36.00

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies Tips (21)

Harry's Café de Wheels: For a Tiger Pie

Where did Colonel Sanders, Frank Sinatra and Marlene Dietrich dine out when they came to Sydney? Well, the original Harry’s Café de Wheels in the suburb of Woolloomooloo, of course.

During the 1930s depression, Harry Edwards opened a caravan café near the front gates of Woolloomooloo naval dockyard such that the working man could get a decent feed at a fair price in hard times. Word of his ‘pie n’ peas' and crumbed sausages spread and Harry’s van took off.

In 1938 he closed up shop and enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) for the duration of World War II.

On his return from the War, in 1945, he reopened his caravan and it has operated continuously since.

Harry’s assumed the grand title ‘Café de Wheels’ due to the fact that the post war City Council insisted that mobile food vans moved at least 12 inches per a day. Harry complied and the Café de Wheels moved forward 12 inches one day and back 12 inches the next day until the council ruling was overturned.

In the mid 1970s when the van's wheels went missing one night it unofficially became Harry’s Café de Axle. In 1978 Rear Admiral David Martin, while enjoying a pie and a glass of Champagne (as one does), commissioned the van as HMAS Harry’s.

Dear Reader when you are in Sydney don’t forget to go down to 'the Loo' for a pie at the again wheel-less, now National Trust listed, Harry’s Café de Wheels. The 1945 version of Harry's Pie Cart, which was retired in 1985, can be seen in the Powerhouse Museum.

While the menu concentrates on pies, pasties, sausage rolls and hotdogs are also available. The hotdogs were introduced in the 1970s to appeal to visiting American sailors.

Harry signature pie is Harry’s Tiger – ‘a chunky lean beef pie served with mushy peas, mash & gravy’. It comes with my personal recommendation so you won't be disappointed. My final picture, from Harry's website, depicts this delicacy.

For the record, Harry Edwards sold the business in 1975 and since 1998 about ten other franchise outlets have opened in Sydney and slightly further afield.

Opening hours

Favorite Dish Harry's Tiger pie

wabat's Profile Photo
May 02, 2016

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Tiger pies = Art

I live in newcastle, home of the original harry's pies. Most of the customers are people that are drunk and or high passing through town. Harry's is the perfect night cap after drinking (or getting high lol) and always minimalise the hangover next day. Congratulations for making something mentioning as a true australian delicacy.

Jan 06, 2015

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Cafe De Wheels - the Hot Dog icon of the X.

Quick, cheap and easy.... ;)

Harry De Wheels, started out as a simple caravan cafe during the years of the depression and has developed into somewhat of a Sydney Icon.

After a big night out, nothing feels better than a hot dog from Harrys ;)

The caravan is covered in photos of various celebs that have stopped by for a famous harry hot dog or pie ;)

Favorite Dish Hot Dogs

SierraSydney's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Harry's Cafe de Wheels: The Original Harry's

Harry's is a Sydney instituition just like Nathan's is to Coney Island. Harry's is basically a snack/quick food shack. The menu had a variety of easy to eat items. We had passed by Harry's numerous times while walking back to our hotel and finally decided to stop by for a snack. There was a line but we barely waited 10 minutes. Chris decided on a curry pie and I ordered a hot dog. The food was pretty good and I felt satisfied.

Favorite Dish The hot dog was very good and I liked the spicey mustard.

LadyRVG's Profile Photo

1 Grantham Street, Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
21-23 Challis Ave, Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales, 2011, Australia

Woolloomooloo Restaurants: Pies and Hot Dogs all day & night

Harry's Cafe de Wheels

Grab a delicious pie (you can add many topings... like mash potato, tomato sauce, mashed pees, onions, gravy, cheese... whatever pleases you), and sit outside (or stand) and enjoy a nice simple meal.

Many Sydneysiders love to go here, especially around midnight to 3am, and no matter how well off people are, you will get all walks of life coming here.

There is also a photo display of famous people who have been to Harry's.

If you are famous, then the owners will take a photo of you eating your pie or hot dog (or both if you're starving!) and they shall frame it and hang it up on one of their walls.

Joseph69's Profile Photo
Nov 30, 2008

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: The Original

Harry’s is a Sydney institution. I have seen others around the city but this trip I found myself passing the original nearly every day on the bus back to the hotel. So we stopped and got off to get a pie for a snack.

You will always find that there is a crowd here. We even had people waiting behind us while I decided quickly what I was going to eat. The do quite a bit of business and are worth the visit at least once. They’re an attraction for a reason.

Favorite Dish I had the curry pie and she the hot dog. I was pretty impressed in the curry pie and do wish I had bothered to stop and get another during the week but with so many better food options just up the stairs in Potts Point we never did.

cjg1's Profile Photo
Oct 25, 2007

Harry's Cafe de Wheels: Great pies by Wooloomooloo Bay

I ate at Harry's Cafe de Wheels one lunchtime during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This pie cart has been operating since 1945 and can be found next to Finger Wharf, Wooloomooloo Bay. Pick up a snack and sit at one of the benches looking out across the wharf!

Harry's speciality is pies...with all manner of fillings!!....but you can also choose from hotdogs, burgers, pasties and a variety of other fast food snacks.

Favorite Dish I opted for:

"Curry Tiger" pie - Cost: 4.95 AUD

A beef and curry pie topped with mashed potato, mushy peas and gravy. Mmmmmmm!!

600ml bottle of Coca Cola - Cost: 2.70 AUD

A wide variety of cheap fast food snacks with great views over Wooloomooloo Bay!

SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
Aug 16, 2006

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Super yummy meat pies!

Due to its reputation, "eating a Harry's meat pie" was on my list. I even marked its location on my map before leaving HK. There's nothing much to do at night in Sydney if you're not into partying/clubbing/pubbing. I suggested taking a late dinner at Harry's to my new friends - 4 medical students from HKCU that I met in my hostel. HK people like eating and I was glad that there's no exception for doctors! It's a real long walk from Darling Harbour to Harry's, we used like 30 minutes (or more?). The vicinity of Harry's was very quiet at night, which made us (4 girls and 1 boy) a bit nervous. I was so worried that Harry's would have closed (it's after 10p.m., pretty late in Australia), luckily it's not the case. We were very satisfied by the meat pies, which were very filling and too big as a late night snack.
They're so yummy! Another important point to note is that Harry's is famous among locals. We were the only group of non-locals when we arrived. I was so happy to see so many people there at night.

Favorite Dish I ordered a Curry Tiger (AUD4.7), Vincent ordered a Chili con Carne (AUD4.9) and Doris/Nicole ordered the simplest one (forgot the name).

My Curry Tiger was very tasty, though the curry wasn't spicy at all, i guessed it's Japanese curry, not my favourite. There was a big mass of mashed peas on the top of my pie and the whole pie was filled with meat. I was so full after eating.

Vincent's Chili con Carne was wonderful too.

Bonus of the night: saw a handsome Japanese Harry's staff!!!

backpackerbaby's Profile Photo
Jun 10, 2006
cjg1's Profile Photo

"What do you do with your weekend?"
wabat's Profile Photo

"A Ramble around Sydney"
LadyRVG's Profile Photo

"Love Those Sydneysiders"
iandsmith's Profile Photo

"Sydney - For the discerning tourist"
leffe3's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafè du Wheels: The best pie in town

My thanks to VT member M0B1US, whose tip inspired me to go here.

This pie cart is a great experience. You can wander around and eat while looking at the Australian navy ships, interact with people, and spend less than A$10 for dinner. There is something about the very real sights and smells of the wharf that make this special. Some say the superstars eat there. I don't know, but Russell Crowe's condo is at the end of the adjacent pier. The cart isn't in Sydney proper, rather Wooloomooloo.

Favorite Dish The Tiger, a meat pie topped with mashed potatoes and mashed peas, then hollowed and filled with gravy. Pasties are good too.

dlandt's Profile Photo
Nov 22, 2005

Meat or Vego...: Budget Eating in Sydney

If you're after a good vegetarian restaurant, try (don't laugth) the Govinda's theatre/restaurant in Darlinghurst Road. You get a buffet food plus youcan also buy a meal and movie package. This is a well kept Sydney secret. if you're down on the budget and still want a bit of movie plus food , this is unbeatable. Cushions style seating in the cinema. If you are a Carnovore like me, Harry's Cafe De Wheels can't be beat. The Harbour View is free.

Favorite Dish Its all you can eat at tGovindas( Krishna). Shepherds Pie at the Harry's Cafe De Wheels.

aserafica's Profile Photo
Nov 15, 2005

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Must Haves

Harry's Cafe De Wheels is well known and famous for there pies. They are located in Wooloomooloo. Its a great location... usually people go there after a big night out.... in the early hours of the morning.

Great atmosphere..

Favorite Dish Pies ...... anything you could imagine...they have it.

divaboodoo's Profile Photo
Aug 22, 2005

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Hotdogs & Pies: Hangin with Harry at Wooloomooloo

Okay, I used to eat hot dogs as a kid, but kinda gave them up aside from the occasional summer picnic. And then came Harry.

I'd heard about these famous hot dogs, but to taste one was a new adventure in eating.

First you have a hot dog bun, put some mashed potatoes, then mashed peas (no, really!) then the hot dog. Add some gravy and or tomato sauce (that's Australian for ketchup) and you are good to go.

This iconic landmark is at the end of Wooloomooloo Pier, easily reachable and recognizable. There's always a crowd of people at this 24 hour eatery, which must say something in itself!

There are photos of famous faces eating at Harry's adorning the building - see how many you recognize!

Some people eat in their car, some people eat next to the building on the benches - you have a view of the water, the Navy ships and Woolloomooloo Pier (where Russell Crowe lives)

Great hang out and eating spot year round, but especially nice on a warm sunny day!

Favorite Dish "Hot Dog with the lot" and a fresh home baked chocolate chip cookie .... Mmmmmmm

They have a full selection of bottled water, juice and soft drinks as well.

AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
May 17, 2005

Things To Do Near Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies

Art Gallery of New South Wales

Art Gallery of New South Wales The Art Gallery of New South Wales is a great museum next to the Royal Botanical Garden in Sydney and you will find all kinds of works of art there, but mainly it is a...

Elizabeth Bay House

The Elizabeth Bay House is a historic house in the Potts Point section of Sydney. Built in 1839 is was once called "the finest house in the colony". The House is situation high on the street with...

Mrs Macquaire Chair

Mrs Macquarie's Chair is a sandstone rock that is in the shape of a bench. It supposedly was carved by convicts from sandstone in 1810 for Governor Macquarie's wife Elizabeth. The "Chair" is located...

St James Church

Humbled by the downtown corporate skyscrapers, St. James Church is fittingly small scale in this mountain of moneymaking. Built for convicts, by convicts to the design of a convict architect, the...

Australian Museum

It had been a number of years since I had visited the Australian Museum but I was recently drawn back, attracted by the fact that it was hosting a special exhibition, Trailblazers, honouring...

Government House

The Government House The Sydney Government House was built in 1845 as the official residence of the Governor of New South Wales. Between 1901 and 1914 and again between 1996 and 2011 the buildings...

Getting to Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

• Sunday 08:30 to 02:00