Related Melbourne General Tips

Most Viewed General in Melbourne

• dracko's Profile Photo

Rent a car

by dracko Written Dec 18, 2003

Favorite thing: While you're in Melbourne, do consider renting a car. There's lots to explore outside the city. You can drive around Port Phillip bay and visit the picturesque little towns, like Portsea or Queenscliff. Or take a hop down to Torquay - the surfing capital of the world and explore it at your leisure. But the main reason you will want to drive is to get a chance to explore the Great Ocean Road properly. Driving this coastal road heading West from Torquay is an experience that you should not take in from a seat on a tour coach. You
    have to explore it on your own - making stops when you want to, and staying in any one place for however long you want to. Besides, if you were on a coach, you'd likely never get a chance to meet this little guy going about his business in the brush just off the side of the road!

• eviltooth's Profile Photo

Melbourne's Public Toilet

by eviltooth Written May 10, 2003

Favorite thing: Favourite thing about Melbourne? Clean public toilets. :)

If you can't stand dirty toilets (I doubt anyone can ;)), be rest assured that those in Melbourne are extremely clean, even the one at the market. Some even have a nice smell and I'm not being sarcastic. ;)

I saw this pic in my sis' PC. She's doing her archi. project on public toilet. ;) This one is next to the Melbourne Town Hall at Collins Street. You'll find a number of them dotting the city.

Melbourne Town Hall and Public Toilet
    • Architecture

• State Flag of Victoria

by xuessium Updated Jun 17, 2005

Favorite thing: The Victorian state flag was created as a colonial flag - a British Blue Ensign with the badge of the colony added to the blue field. Because some of the Australian state badges were originaly created to represent the Governor (as distinct from the Colony) they generally showed some element of British royal heraldry - the main criteria being that it be different from similar badges used in other parts of the Empire. The Crown Victoria badge represented the status of the Governor as representative of Queen Victoria in the Colony. Victoria adopted the Southern Cross in 1870 initially for use on the HMCS Nelson - one of the early warships of the Colonial Navy. The Southern Cross had become fairly well associated with Australia during the 19th Century.

Ralph Kelly

extracted from:

AustraliaVictoriaFlag
    • Business Travel

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Melbourne's Pastime - The Flat White

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 5, 2006

Favorite thing: If you were to ask someone what my favorite thing about working in Melbourne is, it would have to be the coffee shops. When I first arrived in Melbourne, I thought it was ridiculous that people would drink 4-5 cups of coffee with milk and sugar in it, but now that I have been here for 9 months, it has really begun to grow on me.

I also used to be of the generation that would take his coffee tall and black, but now I find myself drinking it with milk and sugar.

If you are in town, I would recommend that you grab a coffee at Brunetties, or one of the other wonderful 1000 coffee shops throughout town!

Enjoy that Cuppa!

Brunetties

• CandS's Profile Photo

Melbourne Aquarium

by CandS Updated Jan 29, 2003

Favorite thing: The Melbourne Aquarium was really nice...although not as good as the Sydney Aquarium if you ask me. Also the price was a bit steep ($22 for an adult). Still, I loved watching the fish and could have sat there for hours...

The aquarium is open from 9:30 to 9 pm in January and 9:30 am to 6 pm for the rest of the year.

Phone: 03 96200999
    Email: melb_aquarium@underwaterworld.com.au
    Web: www.melbourneaquarium.com.au

• eviltooth's Profile Photo

The Shelter

by eviltooth Written Oct 2, 2003

Favorite thing: This shelter at the Spencer end of Bourke Street was provided by the Government of Nauru to honour Victoria's 150th's Anniversary. A bit dusty on the roof, but nonetheless useful especially on those cold windy and rainy winter days. Thank you. :)

Tram shelter

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Christmas Time In Melbourne

by cjg1 Updated Aug 2, 2013

Favorite thing: Christmas is a favorite holiday for my wife and I. In particular we love how a city decorates and celebrates Christmas. Melbourne is much like New York at Christmas time except it is very hot temperature wise. Melbourne had a serious of Christmas events and displays happening all over the city for adults and children. The streets and shop windows were decorated with Christmas accents. The major department stores had large window displays depicting Christmas scenes (just like back home).

My wife and I had an excellent time strolling along the streets and looking at the window displays. I loved the Gingerbread Exibit with all the local scenes of Melbourne in edible form. Even the bridges had Christmas decorations; including a huge Misletoe in which to grab a kiss.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Smoking is a general tip?

by l_joo Written Dec 20, 2005

Favorite thing: I am not sure whether this can be considered a general tip? But believe me, I saw quite many cigarettes and smokers, and the way they set up their cigarette-dustbin is like this, at roadside. As a tourist, this is something new, so let me share with you.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

The great cone in the sky

by iandsmith Updated May 16, 2005

Favorite thing: Little Lonsdale is home to Melbourne Central, a spectacular blend of ultra-modern architecture with a huge glass cone, the largest freestanding glass structure in the world, enveloping a historic shot tower.
    When you're in the surrounding area, it stands out and acts like a magnet which is what it was designed to do since it's a mecca for shopping.
    The large glass cone's old Shot Tower used to be used for making shot, as in lead. The technique was to drop the molten lead from a critical height and it would form the correct size by the time it reached the bottom.
    "The cone forms an atrium at the centre of the shopping complex, and the relationship between the past and the present gives the building a feeling of symbiotic co-existence."
    So say the designers, a Japanese firm. I think it's more of an impost on the skyline but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Under the skylight it's very dramatic.
    Shopping aside, it’s still worth a visit.

A standout for shoppers
    • Women's Travel

• lorrainece's Profile Photo

Taxis

by lorrainece Written Mar 1, 2010

Favorite thing: I agree about taxi drivers, many these days have no idea where they have to go, it would be good if you have the address of the hotel you are staying at,and there is a surcharge after 10pm and you may be asked to pay upfront. Some drivers dont ask for payment first, but be prepared.

Enjoy your stay in Melbourne

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Info point

by paoseo Updated Oct 28, 2006

Favorite thing: In first days I was in Melbourne I found myself in front of this quite big glassy building, that 'is Federation Square, opened on 26 October 2002. If you go inside, you'll find yourself in the Melbourne Visitor Centre - a one-stop shop for visitors to learn all there is to see and do in Melbourne and Victoria. On the first floor there is a desk as info point where you can ask a little map of the town, while downstairs there is a huge room where you can collect free leaflets about everything in Australia and Melbourne.I think it can be quite useful as a good start! Besides the infopoint, in the other part of the structure there are also some interesting museums, as the Ian Potter Centre that hosts the collection of Australian art, or the state-of-the-art Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
    Federation Square is Melbourne's new civic centre. The Square has been built to serve as a central focalpoint for the city but also to block out the ugliness of railway lines that run through the very heart of the city. It is situated opposite Flinders Street Station.The pic I upload here it's not mine, I borrowed it from Internet. I have to work my pictures with the scanner...
    I chose this one to show the sharp contrast between the 2 styles.
    Its website is : http://www.federationsquare.com.au/
    It is open from:9am-6pm daily.
    You can get there both by train at Flinders Street Station, part of the city loop metropolitan train service, that is opposite the square and by tram;take any tram along Swanston and Flinders street.
    Asking around I found out that lots of people don't like it so much, infact the Square is controversial due to its striking, but unusual, design using large panels and claddings of sandstone, zinc and glass. It is a strikingly modern design for a civic centre!!

A piece of Fed.Square against Flinder St.Station
    • Architecture

Lion Stoned

by l_joo Written May 24, 2006

Favorite thing: Sorry I was unable to recall the name of the place, I saw there a pitiful lion being stoned, don't know why they did it but I guess it was for displaying, viewing or maybe taking photos. They stoned not only a lion but also some humans and other stuffs, quite scary, but maybe you like it or people like it, I don't know, I think is good to show in VT tip section for public comment and ratings.

Lion Stoned

School girls in uniform

by l_joo Written May 25, 2006

Favorite thing: School girls in uniform portraying a group of school girls walking towards another direction in uniform, grey color, white football stockings with black shoes, looks cool, discipline and beautiful, I look over and over. Melbourne students are very strong physically if comparing with Malaysian students, mostly weak and energetic-less, it could be weather too hot, distorted nurturing methods plus many other wierd factors.

School girls in uniform

Victoria Bitter

by l_joo Written May 25, 2006

Favorite thing: Victoria Bitter is a product, is a beer, is probably created by local Victorians to make money or perhaps something else I don't know. I only know that my country would not want to make money, they said they are Islamic, alcoholic drinks are sinful, they cannot accept sinful stuffs, so there were none alcoholic products created by Malaysian. But then the Islamic government accept imports of 'sinful' products, funny that import is allowed but create a Malaysian brand is sinful, a funny theory to self destroy economy. But then that was God's decision, God is the one who decide what you should drink, so please do not comment to much on 'sinful' products. Anyway my favourite beer in Melbourne is Carlton Cold.

Victoria Bitter

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

The ride

by iandsmith Updated Mar 27, 2006

Favorite thing: I felt wretched. For half an hour I wrestled with the prospect of facing a Melbourne morning beneath overcast skies. My partially blocked nasal passaged added to my wretchedness, but eventually I convinced myself, utilizing the deep and meaningful argument “Don’t be a woos” and found myself early morning, in a lift in my lycra bike attire being stared at by fellow liftees.
    Relief came at the ground floor (I suspect for all of us) and I mounted by trusty steed, free at last in the madness of Flinders Street commuter traffic. Bikes, motorbikes, cars, cabs, trams, vans, buses and, worst of all, those bloody pedestrians!
    I knew there was a bike trail on the other side of the river but I had no idea how you got there on a bike so I basically followed the pedestrian route, not wishing to disappear in tram line groove and never be heard of again.
    Once across I was lost in the mid-chess game maze of those who walk and those who ride which offered ample scope for the advancement of my steering skills.
    Whilst everybody was on a mission to arrive at work on time, I was heading on the opposite tack and trying to do a bit of sightseeing and act as a mobile chicane for the speedier two wheelers, an activity I succeeded admirably in achieving.
    Once free of the morning surge and now adjacent to Melbourne’s outstanding Botanical Gardens I was able to relax a little more, though a steady trickle of traffic made sure I didn’t get too complacent.

Fondest memory: One thing that was apparent, Melburnians do congregate on and around the Yarra at this time of the morning. I was amazed at the number of scullers gracing the surface and how many joggers, walkers and cyclists the were in total.
    (continued)

Melbourne Oasis
Mercure Hotel Melbourne
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Melbourne

Comments

Melbourne General

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Melbourne locals.
Map of Melbourne