Map &

Melbourne Moonlight Kayak Tour
From AUD99.00

St. Kilda Tips (36)

St. Kilda

St. Kilda has certainly changed, but it's still Melbourne's bohemian capital. There are no used needles polluting the beach any more, and there seems to be slightly less grim characters than were there in 1995. The Prince of Wales, once the haunt of murderers and those who liked the thrill of standing in their shadows, is now a quaint bistro off Fitzroy Street. Gentrification is happening, but it still holds an edge. When we went to find a playground for our son, in a park which was once off limits to anyone sane after dark, his fun was interrupted as two junkies came to find the stash they'd left there earlier. St. Kilda hasn't changed that much.

But don't let that put you off coming. St. Kilda is not dangerous. There's little chance of crime during the day. It's got a lot of character, some great places to drink and eat and of course the beach.

antistar's Profile Photo
Apr 24, 2015

Office madness

St Kilda houses most of the corporate houses, mine was here too. The bay at St Kilda is supposed to be beautiful, unfortunately my work schedule never allowed me to explore this area. It is dotted with many restaurants and cafes- these I visited and have included some of them in my tips. Complete with a tennis center and pretty promenades I truly enjoyed my stay here. The Botanical gardens were also in the vicinity, but needless to say I didn't make the trip to the gardens.

abi_maha's Profile Photo
Jul 13, 2012

While staying with friends on a recent visit ,we decided to visit St.Kilda.. to have some local famous seafood and go for a walk along the pier.I felt like getting a rod and doing a bit of fishing for myself.The main thing was the Sunday Market that has many stalls and tables selling all sorts of arts and and food.Some of the pastries are just wonderful....I really like markets as you never know what you are going to find...even if it just something good to eat will find it here.The trams are a real treat to ride also..

DennyP's Profile Photo
Mar 26, 2012

St Kilda

St Kilda is an beach town with expensive properties, beautiful beaches, casual cafes, mostly Caucasians, and expensive art and crafts shops.

It is like in California with those long beaches walk and palm trees.

I love this place, will always come back here when I visit Melbourne.

cal6060's Profile Photo

DEFUNCT - 250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia
205 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia
267 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Loads of Fun at St. Kilda

Take in the seaside breeze in the outdoor cafes, get mesmerized by fire-eating street acrobats and jugglers, dip in the sea salt swimming pools, trace the outline of boats during sundown at Port Philip Bay, and enjoy the rides in the mini theme park.

You will not miss the smiling moon face greeting you at the entrance of Luna park (luna, lunar, moon, ok, I get it). Entrance is free so just wander around if you don't fancy the rides. Admire the handpainted chariots of the carousel which dates back to 1920s.

Spend your weekends at St. Kilda as this is when the locals peddle some souvenir items.

yellowbell's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Famous suburb of Melbourne

St Kilda is a lovely suburb of Melbourne by the seaside. If you are looking for a change, you can take a tram from city and discover here more. St Kilda Pier is a good spot for city and bay views. You can take a walk on the shoreline, do some shopping or enjoy some great food. St Kilda is worth spending at least a few hours or even a whole day.

muratkorman's Profile Photo
Aug 15, 2009

Beachside cafe culture weekends @ St.Kilda

Folks say it: Every visitor should at least drop by St.Kilda while in Melbourne...which is blissfully strange considering that I only made it here almost 10 years after my first visit to Melbourne. Why St.Kilda eluded me? Goodness knows.

St Kilda has seen a strong revival in recent years after welling in a period of seediness following a 60s golden era when it was the IN seaside resort to take the sea air.

On weekends, Melburnians flock here to walk, cycle and skate along the palm-lined foreshore or to lounge in an outdoor café or cocktail bar – and take in the panoramic views of Port Phillip Bay.

Away from the foreshore, you’ll find much of St Kilda’s activity concentrated in Fitzroy and Acland streets. Fitzroy Street is renowned for its cool cafes, restaurants and bars, with tables spilling onto the footpath, and is one of Melbourne’s most attractive eating and drinking streets. Nearby Acland Street is vibrant and bustling, with an eclectic mix of restaurants, wine bars and continental cake shops. You must drop in for a slice of cake, my colleagues insisted and soak up the chi chi cafe culture. Truly a place to be seen!

There are a few icons to look out for in St.Kilda. Luna Park, remains wildly popular, despite the onslaught of time. Kids were squealing their lungs out on the rides when I was there. And next to it, you'll find another landmark, a 20s-era white-washed of a building, the majestic Palais Theatre. And along Acland Street, remember to look up and sought out some hippy characters fiddling on the roof.

And should you be in St.Kilda on a weekend, don't miss the Arts and Crafts Market along the beach front. You can find plenty of quirky souvenirs here, found nowhere else. I came upon a stall selling candlesticks made from little teapots, stacked upon each other, each with different designs.

And of course, I shouldn't neglect the beach, which is what draws folks here in the 1st place. And if you made it here, drop by the historic St.Kilda Pier Kiosk, rebuilt in 2003 after a fire. Pull some time out of your bag, grab a hot cup of coffee at the Little Blue Cafe and just stun yourself silly with the awesome view.

May 02, 2008

Melbourne @ Sea

St Kilda is totally different from Central Melbourne. It has a great atmosphere. Many cafes, bars and restaurants can be found, especially along Fitzroy St.
Take a walk on the Pier, you will have great views of the Melbourne skyline.
It is nice to stroll around St Kilda just before sunset.

PierreZA's Profile Photo
Dec 08, 2007

Top 5 Melbourne Writers

leffe3's Profile Photo

"Wherever I Lay My Hat - That's My Home"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

"Melbourne - Our Home for 2005 and 2006"
balhannah's Profile Photo

" under construction"
iandsmith's Profile Photo

"Melbourne is a Dive"
davidjo's Profile Photo

Visit St. Kilda

If you possibly can, do try to fit a visit to St. Kilda into your time in Melbourne, especially if you have a Sunday to spare. This coastal suburb of Melbourne is home to the famous St. Kilda Sunday market along the beachfront esplanade, a craft market where you can pick up a great souvenir. There is also a fairground, Luna Park and lots of cafes, bars and a sweep of sandy beach.
It's only a tramride from Melbourne - for more information and to get a better idea of what's on offer here please see my St. Kilda page

allikat's Profile Photo
Oct 26, 2006

Bay walk - easy and picturesque

When in Melb, take a walk along bay at St Kilda. You can visit St Kilda Pier, and further down the path you can see the dock where the Spirit of Tasmania berths and departs for the journey across the Bass Strait. I'll post some pics soon. The bay walk is an easy 4.4km from Peir to Peir. Very pleasant.

Rumi-fan's Profile Photo
Aug 27, 2006

A day in St Kilda

St Kilda is a fantastic seaside suburb of Melbourne. Its offers many different restaurants and well as great bars to have a nice bottle of Aussie wine. Its worth a visit just to mingle with the locals and do a bit of retail therapy!!!

adelaidean's Profile Photo
Jun 02, 2006

St Kilda Cafes

I had heard so much about the cosmopolitan atmosphere of St Kilda that I wanted to experience it for myself. And I wasn't dissapointed. Just look at those cafe lined streets!! What a buzz!! The place was packed with people enjoying a Sunday lunch outside in the sunshine. I was taken up with the vibrant atmosphere! Even though I didn't stop to eat, I would totally recommend for anyone holidaying in Melbourne to visit this place!!.

aussirose's Profile Photo
May 24, 2006

Things To Do in Melbourne

Flinders Street Station

Mention Flinders Street Railway Station and nearly every Australian would know your talking about Melbourne. Want a meeting place, then under the clock with everybody else at Flinders Street...

St Paul's Cathedral Melbourne

When I walked into St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral I was immediately attracted to the stone work, cream limestone banded with bluestone - stunning! The floors and walls are beautiful, as they are...

Federation Square

Federation Square has two courts, St. Paul's court located next to the Visitor Information centre and Swanston Street Forecourt. The Square itself is a huge open area and has a stage and there is a...

Regent Theatre

THE REGENT THEATRE Really it is quite lucky that it is standing here today, as fire and flood and even demolishment meant it may have been destroyed for ever. Many outstanding old buildings were...

Australian Centre of Moving Images - ACMI

We had heard so much about ACMI ( Australian Center for the Moving Image) we were extremely disappointed when we arrived there. We asked at the reception what we could see and the girl said that there...

The Forum Theatre

The stunning architecture of the Forum Theatre (formerly State Theatre) is the kind I didn't expect to find in Melbourne nor Australia - it definitely reminded me of Egypt! In the early 1920s, Stuart...

Getting to Melbourne

St Kilda, Melbourne, Victoria 3182

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!