Thai Friends Restaurant, Parnell (Auckland), Auckland

4 out of 5 stars 1 Reviews

3/311 Parnell Village, Parnell Road, Auckland (09) 373 5247
  • View of Auckland from the deck of Thai Friends.
    View of Auckland from the deck of Thai...
    by Kakapo2

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Thai Friends Restaurant, Parnell: The Best Thai Food with a View

by Kakapo2 Updated Apr 12, 2011

We discovered this lovely restaurant in 1995 and have been back there several times since then, and I always refer to it as the best Thai restaurant I have ever been to. The quality of the food has not deteriorated over the years, and I can say that as I always order a similar main dish LOL My absolute favourite had always been a fish/seafood curry in a creamy coconut sauce with basil and lemongrass. Divine! But when they changed the menu and I had to find something new, now I tend to tiger prawns in a red curry, vegetables and lime leaves.

The prices are very reasonable, no mains cost more than NZ$20 (seafood and fish), chicken and beef come to 16.50/17.50. I have just found an invoice from 1995 in my photo album, we paid $19.80 for the seafood curry then, so the prices have not changed in twelve years. This is really astonishing!

I always try to get a table outside because they have a fabulous deck with great views over Auckland. But also the interior is nice, with a warm and comfortable atmosphere. In total they have three or four dining areas, one along Parnell Road.

BYO possible.

Update April 2011
    In the meantime I have been back to Thai Friends several more times. But on our last visit we were quite a bit annoyed because we had to wait for our food for ages despite the restaurant not being full. At the next table was a group of German tourists starving as well, and you could see the relief on everybody's face - including ours - when the food finally arrived. The food was good. But did not really enjoy mine as the thin soupy sauce of my seafood curry was so spicy that I could not breathe when trying to eat it LOL (No warning on the menu!) So I drained the seafood and vegetables out of the killer broth and ate it with dry rice. This was acceptable - and survivable ;-))

Staff very friendly as always - but our waitress also a bit helpless.

Price update
    Prices have risen in the meantime. Meat dishes are up to NZ$ 22.80, seafood NZ$ 25.50. Steamed jasmine rice comes at an extra cost of NZ$ 2.50.

Address: 3/311 Parnell Village, Parnell Road, Auckland

Directions: Half way up the hill on Parnell's main road, where all those nice of shops and restaurants in the spectacular character houses are. If coming from Downtown Auckland, on the right side.

Phone: (09) 373 5247

Website: http://www.thaifriends.co.nz

View of Auckland from the deck of Thai Friends.

Add to your Trip Planner