Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Auckland Sunset and Night Photography Tour
"Our tour normally starts at Mt Victoria where we can watch the sun setting and get some great images of Auckland bathed in orange light. On our way to Northcote we see some of Devonports finest buildings and beaches. At Northcote we get a great shot of t we also walk up onto a motorway overpass which is a great opportunity to get some light trail photographs. Our drive then takes us around  Auckland's waterfront to see the nightlife and admire Mission Bay with all the shops and the great fountain li another great shot is at Bastion Point overlooking Auckland and out to sea . Then its up through Parnell with its quaint colonial houses and a stop at St Marys church at the top of Parnell. Rated as one of the finest wooden examples of gothic arc"""The beauty of Auckland is truly appreciated at night being reflected in the Waitemata harbor. Auckland really comes to life at night and is easily photographed as it's not very busy and we have access to some great spots. Whether it's a stunning view of the Harbor Bridge Auckland War Memorial Museum or the early colonial houses in Parnell
From NZD175.00

Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
"The Auckland Hop-on Hop-off tour includes commentary and visits the ""Big 14 Attractions"" of Auckland. Buses leave every 30 minutes in summer and hourly in winter. Explore the likes of Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium Auckland Museum Mt Eden and the Sky Tower to name just a few. Valid for one or two days the Auckland hop-on hop-off tour takes one-hour to complete an entire loop or you can choose to hop-on and off during the day visiting Auckland's attractions along the way. There is a comprehensive audio commentary on the bus as it travels around the loop. The audio commentary is available in English only. Chinese French Korean
From NZD45.00

Auckland Museum General Entry Ticket
"Housed in one of the country's finest heritage buildings the Museum's three floors tell the story of New Zealand. From the great Polynesian voyages which first brought people to Aotearoa to the diverse cultures and communities that make up Auckland today Auckland Museum portrays the rich diversity of New Zealand."""Auckland Museum is regarded as one of the finest museums in the southern hemisphere and is renowned for its unique collection of Maori and Pacific treasures.title=Highlights&1=Auckland+Museum+admission+ticket&2=Gain+access+to+three+floors+of+cultural+exhibits&3=See+a+unique+collection+of+Maori+carvings%2C+buildings%2C+canoes+and+treasures&4=Learn+about+Pacific+culture%2C+art+and+heritage
From NZD25.00

Kaikoura Tips (19)

Pelagic boat

This was loads of fun. Went out in a very small boat. Out at sea the boat releases bait and the birds come from miles around - actually they are there ahead of the boat except for those that escort it from about 15 minutes after you leave shore.

The variety was marvelous. We saw 4 varieties of the Great Albatross including one lonely Northern Royal, 3 varieties of Mollymawk Albatross, 4 varieties of Petrels, at least 50 Shearwaters, Shags, Gulls too numerrous to be counted and on a small island called Barney's Rock a female Paradise duck and Reef Herons. A veritable paradise of water birds.

The Ocean Wings people provide sighting and ID books. The female captain/guide was marvelous about pointing out the rarer species and explaining behaviour patterns.

Very highly recommended!

Feb 18, 2007

Swimming with the dolphins

A highlight of my visit to South Island, swimming with wild dolphins at their indulgance. When they tired of us, they simply left!

Expensive and doesn't last long enough - I don't think that even 4 more hours would have been long enough for me :->)

The cost includes a wet suit, a small souvenir and a certificate.

You are told to swim in circles and make noises. If you can rouse their interest they will come in close. What can I say - I was laughing so hard at us that I swallowed a mouthful of sea water - ugh!

At this time of year - mid October - there were no Bottlenoses around, but the Dusky dolphins were no less entrancing. They more or less let us know that we were weirdos in their opinion, but they did allow us to view them from pretty close up.

An amazing experience that I will remember all of my life.

Feb 18, 2007

Kaikoura Peninsula

One of the best things I've done in New Zealand, or maybe ever in my life was swimming with the dolpins. When you swim with them in Kaikoura with the company Dolphin Encounters you will see them guaranteed, if not money back. I had to get up really early in the morning for the 6:30am dolphin encounter. After an instruction we were driven to the boat and went off to sea.

After a great 40 minutes cruise at sea where we saw the sun rise we finally found the dolphins. I thought it was a bit strange that we didn't stop there and went for a swim, but after five more minutes we saw a bigger pod of dolphins and off the boat we went. What a great experience. The dolphins hadn't seen any people for a whole day, because the day before all encounters were cancelled because of the weather. This is why they continued swimming on. We followed them and went out of the boat again. We had to really try and entertain them we were told, so we all did our best by swimming as dolphin like as possible and by singing all sorts of crazy songs and by making high noises. I got the attention of some dolphins and they swam around me for a short time. Absolutely an amazing experience!!!

After the second swim we got 2 more chances, but the second time was the best for me. What amazing creatures. We saw about 3 big pods of Dusky dolphins and apparently there were around 2000 dolphins that we saw in total, which was almost a record. We were very lucky to see so many of them. After the swim we got some hot chocolate and a few cookies and had the chance to take some photo's. Then it was time to go back to Kaikoura.

Other things to do while in Kaikoura are to take the Shoreline Walk around the peninsula and you can walk back through the hills via the Clifftop Walk. You start the walk at the Seal Colony and from there you follow the shore, seeing lots of seals along the way!

Take a look at my Kaikoura page for more.

martin_nl's Profile Photo
martin_nl
Oct 16, 2004

Whale watching

This trip was a bit of a let-down. I was all excited thinking I was going to see whales close up. Well we saw three, and they did 'blow' and they did rise and we did see their flukes, but it was all so far away that I didn't get any kind of adrenalin rush out of it at all.

The boats go out in pairs because in the past it has happened that a whale got upset and overturned a boat. The boats are not as big as the whales themselves you know, but you don't really get that personal and up close feeling sorry to say.

Probably this was due to safety factors and probably the organizers were absolutely correct to keep their distance, but...

Anyway it is a pleasant day out at sea, but don't expect to really see anything very much. :(

BTW - Worth reserving in advance. They do book out fast even off season.

What does make the trip worth while is supporting the people that used to be whalers and killers of dolphins and seals for the meat/fur market. Today the major industry is tourism in a small town that depends on these same animals for their livlihood in the opposite way - by preserving and protecting them.

Nov 11, 2010

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near New Zealand

Hotels
449 Memorial Ave, (formerly Quality Hotel), Christchurch, Christchurch-Canterbury, 1409, New Zealand
90 Federal St, P.O. Box 90643, Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Malaghans Road, Arrowtown, South Island, New Zealand
133-137 The Terrace, Wellington, North Island, 6001, New Zealand
326 Fenton St, Rotorua, North Island, New Zealand
Corner Princes & High Streets, Dunedin, South Island, 9054, New Zealand

Thar she blows!-Whale watching at Kaikora

Kaikora is a funky little fishing town whose main claim to fame is whale watching.

You can book Whale watching or Dolphin watching from just about anywhere in the town. There a loads of trendy cafes and interesting shops to keep you occupied too.

The trip takes about an hour to get out to where the whales are and there are several boats in the area relaying sightings to each other. You are not guaranteed to see whales but you do have a fairly good chance and you do get discount on another trip if they don't show.

The whales are sperm whales. They can dive for up to 45 mins to feed in the plankton rich waters. When they surface they send up a huge spout of water and rest for a few minutes before diving again. Once you have seen one and it has dived you race off at madcap speed to another location - warning it can be a bit rough, take your seasickness pills!

We were not dissapointed. I have a whole roll of film with bits of whale on and managed to get a couple of shots of the tail but notihng worthy of National Geographic!

We also had the bonus of seeing some dolphins and seals on the way back.

It was a fab experience and I would do it again in a shot!

mad4travel's Profile Photo
mad4travel
Jan 21, 2005

Swimming with dolphins in Kaikoura

Even for the roughest dude an experience that will get to you!
It is impossible to describe the feeling you have when you are swimming with these smart and beautiful creatures!
Since there is only one place to do this from....DON'T FORGET TO BOOK AHEAD!!!

Joenes's Profile Photo
Joenes
Sep 30, 2005

Kaikoura

Kaikoura is about two hours north of Christchurch on a road that includes a few quite hilly sections. Kaikoura is a small town that has heaps to do including whale watching, dolphin swimming, trout and salmon fishing and very nice costal walks (or runs if you are up for it!!).

Kaikoura is probably best known for whale watching. Tours will take you up close to Sperm & Humpback Whales plus the occassional Orca.

There are plenty of nice places to eat including Mussel Boys serving very nice mussels (funny that) and some excellent Fish and Chips outlets. You can also buy crayfish (Kaikoura translates to 'meal of crayfish') from caravans up the coast.

fishandchips's Profile Photo
fishandchips
Jul 06, 2006

Whales and Dolphins.

Go whale watching at Kaikoura, you really do need to book in advance though. It really is the best whale watching we have done anywhere in the world. The crew are very helpful, friendly and they certainly know how to find the whales and get good views of them. When they say click your camera because the whale is going to dive... don't think just do it. They are always spot on with the advice!

margaretvn's Profile Photo
margaretvn
Jan 27, 2003

Top 5 New Zealand Writers

kiwi's Profile Photo

kiwi

"A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
fishandchips's Profile Photo

fishandchips

"Antipodean Paradise"
Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Kakapo2

"Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
martin_nl's Profile Photo

martin_nl

"The most beautiful country in the world"
K.Knight's Profile Photo

K.Knight

"North & South Islands."

Kaikoura

Kaikoura: The whale/dolphin capital of NZ. Unfortunately, the day I was there, the winds were 30+ knots and all the boats were cancelled. If you really want to see whales, be sure to plan on a couple days here, in case you encounter the same.

If the boats are in port there is a nice hiking route along the peninsula to the east side of town, where there are many a friendly seal skulking about...

kenmerk's Profile Photo
kenmerk
Feb 17, 2003

Kaikoura

A very disappointing day. When the coach driver arrives to pick us up from the hotel in Christchurch, he explains that due to the weather, the whale watching boat will not be going out, hwever, the plane may or may not. We are given the option to cancel completely or to take our chances with the plane. We decide we have nothing better to do today, so we take our chances. Wrong!

We hang around in Kaikoura waiting for the weather to clear up. It doesn't We watch the Audio Visual display and go out into the country for a nice crayfish lunch by a roaring fire. We watch a couple of sparrows outside trying to get to a daddy longleg on the inside of the window. I think that was the highlight of the day!

We stop off by a seal colony on the coast, and I clamber down in the pouring rain to get nearer for photos. I get hissed at by the large bull seal. Apparently they have very strong teeth and can cause some serious damage. I don't hang around to find out! They are quite tame though, considering.

We make another stop at a winery for tasting and buying. I am not overly impressed by their wines - small choice and an odd aftertaste, almost dusty (woody). We buy two bottles anyway.

grets's Profile Photo
grets
Sep 21, 2004

~ Kaikoura ~

Kaikoura is a small town famous for its whale watching boat trips. It is located in a simply amazing setting - the pebble beach is adjacent to a mountain range, which happened to be covered with snow when I stopped by. Remarkable sight...

mfc10
Apr 18, 2004

Seal's Rock,Kaikoura

Go watch the sea lions up close and personal but don't get too close cause I found out they are extremely quick,the rocks are slippery and they won't hesitate to bite a piece out of your leg...:-)

Joenes's Profile Photo
Joenes
Sep 30, 2005

Things to Do Near New Zealand

City Center

I was rather taken with this cone - I think they call it the Chalice - and was surprised to see it there in the Square still in March 2015. I hadn't expected it to survive the quake (maybe it's been...

Mt Eden

This is the highest mount of Auckland. It is an extinguished volcano. The bus cannot reach the top, so you have to walk about 300 meters from the bus stop up to the crater. The view is nice but you...

Skyline Gondola and Restaurant

For the most spectacular view of Queenstown, visit the Skyline Gondola. This takes you to Bob's Peak, offering a panoramic vista over the entire town and its environs. This is the best thing to see if...

Wai-O-Tapu

Even if you have been to Yellow stone park, here is still a must see wonder. The large area covered with various geothermal craters and hot springs and unlike in Yellow Stone, the color come from...

Mt Victoria

Wanna go for a walk? How about hiking? Don’t worry you don’t need a hiking shoes or a guide. Just take a bus to Mt. Victoria and then walk yourself back to the city. No trolls in the forest, promise!...

Larnach Castle

There are three levels of accommodation offered at Larnach Castle. Camp Lodge is new manor house bulit on the grounds which offers luxury accommodation. Larnach Lodge is built over the original...

Getting to New Zealand

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map