map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Lamanai and Scenic Boat Ride Along the New River Lagoon
"Lamanai Mayan site is one of Belize’s largest ceremonial centers. It is located on the banks of the 30 mile long New River Lagoon in the Orange Walk District north of Belize City. With one of the longest occupation spans in the Mayan World Lamanai was occupied continuously for over 3000 years from 1500 B.C. to A.D. 1675.The site of Lamanai includes eight major plazas a ball court with the largest known ball court marker
From $138.00

Altun Ha and Cave Tubing Tour from Belize City
"This tour will take you to visit a Mayan ruin where you can learn about a great civilization that inhabited Belize over 3000 years ago. Journey through the Mayan underworld tubing through underground caves over 175000 years old as your headlights reveal many untouched crystal formations below the surface of the earth.Altun Ha was first settled somewhere around 250 BC with construction of the buildings beginning in 100 AD and continuing throughout the Classic Period that ended in the 10th century. Some 10000 Mayans lived in and around Altun Ha which was a significant trading center as evidenced by the large amounts of jade and obsidian excavated here in the early sixties and seventies.Altun Ha Tour: spanning a 25 square mile area roughly an hour from Belize City
From $125.00

Altun Ha and Zipline Tour from Belize City
"Spanning a 25 square mile area roughly an hour from Belize City Altun Ha is made up of two central plazas surrounded by towering temples that enclose the palm strewn land. The larger of the two plazas Plaza A is the site of a mysterious tomb discovered beneath one of the temples called Temple of the Green Tomb. Jade jewelry flints and skins are among the three hundred remnants that were unearthed here.ZiplineThis amazingly popular and unique tour is a fast growing sector of the Belize Tourism Industry and pivots around one important factor: safety. Set withi this amazing tour starts with a safety session from our professional zip line crew.Following your safety session
From $125.00

Busses Tips (7)

The Belize Express

This is called the San Pedro's Belize Express and you can find the station at the Belize Terminal. It's actually a water taxi. It goes from Belize City to Caulker, San Pedro, Chetumal, Mexico.

Here's their daily schedule as of September 2011:

Belize City to Caye Caulker & San Pedro:
9:00 am, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:30pm

Caye Caulker to Belize City:
7:00 am, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm

You can book via online or go to their office at 111 North Front Street in Belize City.

Caye Caulker to San Pedro:
7:00 am (Connection to Chetumal), 9:45 am, 12:45 am, 3:45 pm

San Pedro to Caye Caulker & Belize City:
7:00 am, 11:30 am, 2:30 pm, 4:30pm, 6:00 pm (Connection to Caye Caulker)

Caye Caulker to Chetumal (via San Pedro):

joiwatani's Profile Photo
joiwatani
Oct 05, 2011

Bus to Guatemala

If you are looking to head west into Guatemala, Belize City offers several bus companies that head that way. Buses leave from the Water Taxi Station in the heart of the city. Inside the station a 2-3 stands advertise buses going to several places, including Flores or Tikal, Guatemala. I chose the San Juan, as I had seen it referenced in other travel tips. I was staying at one of the hotels adjacent to the Tikal Ruins, so I chose the trip all the way to Tikal, which would have gone to Flores and tranferred me to a smaller bus; however, the bus passed one of its smaller shuttles between Flores and Tikal and quickly pulled over and rushed me out to the minibus (the driver knew he had one going to Tikal). The bus was a rather old bus with ratted seats and curtains, as well as inadequate shocks. Also, there is NO air conditioning on the bus, so if you are going slow (especially in the Guate section) or are stopped, you will get warm quickly. The other bus company passed us with much better speed and looked much more comfortable. So, if you can find the name of the other company, I may recommend taking that one instead of San Juan.

Cost: $15-20 US
Departure Time: 9.30AM
Travel Time: about 3hours to the Bze-Guat border and then 2hours to get to Flores/Tikal.

Border Crossing: The exit from Belize was easy, taking only a few short minutes. It cost 30$BZ ($15US) for the departure tax, as well as 7.50$BZ ($3.75US) for a conservation fee. I did not have to pay the conservation fee for some reason: I thought it may have been because I was in Belize less than 24hrs. After leaving the Belize side, you simply walk a couple hundred meters (if that much) to the Guatemala border patrol. It cost $2US to enter.

Jase1177's Profile Photo
Jase1177
Feb 05, 2008

Bus from Chetumal

If you are going into Belize via Mexico, you will likely take a bus from Chetumal. At the bus station in Chetumal, you can take Premier Line. This appeared to be the only bus offering this service, although I believe there may be others that were not apparent or departing from this station. The ticket booth, as well as one of its reps, is located near the main entrance of the station. You will likely hear him ask you if you are going to Belize or Belize City, especially if you appear to be a backpacker or looking around. The bus was pretty comfortable. It was similar to Greyhound buses used in the US during the 1990s, so you should not feel worried about comfort level. There are several buses during the day, as it takes less than 3.5 hours to get to Belize City, with brief stops at Corozal and Orange Walk. They stop in the main Novelo's bus station away from the downtown water taxi station.

Cost: $9 US
Travel Time: 3.5 hours

Border Crossing from Mexico and Belize were relatively easy. It took less than 10min and $10 US to exit Mexico and then less than 15min to go through the Belize Immigration and Customs for our entire bus.

Jase1177's Profile Photo
Jase1177
Feb 05, 2008

Novelos

Novelos has the monopoly on bus trips in Belize, there is only one bus station in Belize City which makes things easy. Be sure to pay the little bit extra for an express bus as the normal service will stop anywhere on the route to drop off and pick up passengers.
A one hour trip to Orange walk took us 3 hours on the standard bus so it is better to wait at the station for the express bus as it will be quicker and more comfortable than sitting in an overcrowded unairconditioned bus. The waiting area is basic but there are market stalls close by for drinks and there are toilets, although you need to be desperate to use them!

paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

26 Regent Street, Belize City, Belize District, Belize
2 Marine Parade, PO Box 321, Belize City, Belize District, Belize
5931 Bachelor Ave., West Landivar, Belize City, Belize

Novelos Busses

Follow Orange street over the canal and Novelos is on the left. You can get tickets to Ladyville, Dangriga, or out the Western Highway.

I took the local bus out to San Ignacio. It took a little over 2 hours and stopped often. It cost $4.50US one way. The busses are bluebird school busses so they will be familiar to those who went to school in the US.

I also took the bus out to the zoo for $3 US round trip. After 2 PM the busses come every half hour so it is easy to catch a return ride. See my pages on the zoo on my Belize page, It is definatly worth the short bus ride to visit.

MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo
MrRandMcnally
Nov 25, 2003

Bus to Flores, Guatemala

There are many different compagnies offering you a bus service to Flores, Guatemala and they all have there prices. It's best to inform you in advance before just bying a ticket, because price are verry different, services are almost the same. A good place to inform you is the Boat tirminal at the swing bridge (which not swinges).

And hopefully you bus trip doesn't end like the photo one!

a005116's Profile Photo
a005116
Jun 09, 2003

You got all options. Bus,...

You got all options. Bus, plane, boat. I got there by bus from Mexico and took off by bus as well towards Cayo. You got to choose between 'norma' bus and so-called 'Chicken Bus'. The latter is
Here a short excerpt from one of my stories about Belize:
..............At 12 O'clock noon the bus was ready for boarding and I lined up amongst dozens of other passengers to get on the 'ancient' bus. My backpack landed between sacks of rice and beans, chicken cages and boxes of fruits. The bus was overcrowded, but since I was one of the first that had bought a ticket I could enjoy a reserved seat. The joy was over soon though, since a chicken bus seat is not a sofa chair. I was literally squeezed into the seat row with my knees pressed against the backrest of the row in front of me. Besides this very non-European seat size I had a bench mate that was certainly oversized for an average Belizean lady and she had countless plastic bags on her lap that would slide onto me whenever the bus made a turn or ran over a bump. The most distinctive feature of a real chicken bus is yet that there are basically no official stops or bus stations. If you want to get on or off the bus you can do that anywhere along the route. The bus stops everywhere a potential passenger is sighted, somebody hitches the bus, or a passenger yells 'Aquí, aquí' to signalize the driver his desired drop off location. In summary, on this 100 km journey we stopped roughly 280 times and picked up and dropped off people basically constantly. After three and a half hour of painful chicken bus ride we reached Cayo and I could finally straighten my legs again. I picked up my backpack, which obviously had some discrepancies with the chicken cages during the trip since it was covered with smelly chicken crap.

daBertl
Oct 04, 2002

Top 5 Belize City Writers

starship's Profile Photo

starship

"Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Bwana_Brown

"Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
JetlagCity's Profile Photo

JetlagCity

"Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

ATXtraveler

"Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
JeanCooke's Profile Photo

JeanCooke

"Belize City"

Things to Do Near Belize City

Things to Do

Belize Zoo

If you get a chance to check out Belize Zoo outside of Belize City, be sure to leave your mark on the wall here. The cost is about 2.75 USD, 5.00 in Belize Dollars. The money goes to donations for the...
Things to Do

Xunantunich

Xunantunich was one of my favourite Mayan ruins in Belize. Unlike most of the other ruins I was able to investigate this large ruin on my own, so I could climb up and down the large pyramids and tombs...

Getting to Belize City

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map