Map &

Belize City Tour and Belize Zoo
From $89.00

Go fishing Tips (11)

Fishing with Mojos Caye Caulker

If you love your fishing, Hubby and son Jesse highly recommend Mojos Fishing Charter. You pay for the boat hire so if you can share with someone else then you will cut your cost.

This particular day there was no one else to share with so Hubby and Jesse were on their own. I baulked at the price.... but Hubby sweet talked his way into it lol.

Well when they returned with a ton of fish and a stack of great stories and after the Lazy Lizard cooked some of the fish for us (see my travelogue), I was sold :o)

The photo that Howie took of the Barra is my favourite! Cool hey!

If you are interested in doing this, click on the link below and have a read. These are the guys that Hubby and Jesse went with :o)

aussirose's Profile Photo
Dec 05, 2015

Fishing with captain esley

Me and my girlfriend wanted to do something fun while on the island of Caye Caulker. We got to learn about Esley on the internet and through his facebook page. He was great. We went out on a very nice boat and every line we send out landed us a catch. He knew the area very well. While my girlfriend was not so much up for the fishing, she seemed very excited and decided to try it. He also stopped for a bit at a nice shallow place for my girlfriend to take a nice swim. He was great and very friendly . We then visited the tarpon reserve and was able to see him clean our fish for dinner later in the night.

Nov 04, 2014

Must do Fishing & Island BBQ adventure

After the most amazing vacation on Caye Caulker, Belize we came back home with many many highlights, but we all agreed on the 1 thing we would do again and again and that is the fishing adventure we went on with a local guy named Paps.
He took us on a full day fishing trip which included fishing all around the Island and some neigbouring Islands, catching Barracudas and Snappers and plenty of them! We had requested a little snorkeling time also and so we got to do some snorkeling in front of one of the Cayes and this was a real bonus having been on a previous snorkel tour with 10 or more people, myself, my husband and our son really enjoyed the slower paced and more relaxing time of Paps attention being only for us.
We then went back to a Private Island again for only the 3 of us, where Paps cooked our fish along with some wonderful sides of rice, salad and some lobster ceviche to finish! We were able to do some more snorkeling around this Private Island and saw 3 nurse sharks swim so close to us it was absolutely amazing.
Our day was one of the best we had spent in Belize. We would highly recommend it to everyone. After logging in to add my review I saw some other reviews on this guy & he really does give you guys the best day on the sea as people say.
We found him just by word of mouth, he was easy to speak to and everyone seems to know Paps and where to find him.
My husband enjoyed it so much he later when on an afternoon half day fishing trip a couple of days after our full day. He continues to have amazing things to say about that to this day.
I will be uploading pictures soon!
If you are heading to Caye Caulker, fishing with Paps is a MUST DO!

Sep 19, 2012

Caye Caulker Fishing

I read a post on here previously about fishing in Belize. So we had arranged to go with Pops as we loved the post from Jane. My husband and I just got home last week and are still excited from our vacation. We are planning on when we shall return as we speak! Pops was defiantly the highlight of our trip, he took us out on an amazing day (after waiting several days for rain to stop and seas to calm a bit) but it was well worth the wait.
Fishing for a full day and whatever we caught we were able to take back to his private island and BBQ along with some amazing sides. My husband was snorkeling around the island and came across 3 nurse sharks that swam right up to the bridge where we were able to watch pops cleaning the fish. I think this is what attracted the sharks, but it was certainly a treat to see them come up so close!
Overall caye caulker has so much to offer and would recommend it to everyone and anyone. Fisherfolks and people who just love to be on the sea and have a wonderful day in the sun i would also recommend the trip with Pops, we found him by asking around, then everything was easy to arrange he just picked us up right from our dock. he charged only $200 for the full day which was well worth every cent.
For the fish we had spare, we kept it and had it delivered to Wish Willy restaurant, which we were able to go and have prepared and cooked for us the following day. We certainly made the most of the fish while we were there on this short vacation. We promise to return for longer next time!

Mar 16, 2012
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Caye Caulker

26 Front Street, Caye Caulker, 95060, Belize
Hicaco Ave., Belize
P.O. Box 51, Caye Caulker, Belize
#1 Luciano St., Caye Caulker, Belize
PO Box 31, Belize

Fishing and private island with Paps

my family and i have just returned from the best holiday of our lives on caye caulker, we stayed at the seaside cabanas. they arranged for a fishing and private island trip with Paps, we had the best day, he took us fishing where we caught barracudas, snappers and even some lobster and then back to his very own private island where he grilled up our catch and it was the delicious, definately the best food we had on the island and would recommend this to anyone visiting there. fantastic guy and really knows his stuff.
seaside cabanas is definately the place to stay, beachfront, pool, fantastic staff, and hotel bar.
make a trip to the reef to swim with the sharks and rays, 5 or 10 minutes from the island and definately a must do.
seaside cabanas tour shop helped us to arrange all of the above.
cannot wait to go back.

Jul 15, 2011

Piggie's the best!

The reason why my in-laws chose Caye Caulker as their "winter residence" is because they'd heard a lot about fishing off the coast of Belize, and before long they had of course found the best and most reliable guide on the island. His real name is Porfilio Guzman, but everybody calls him Piggie. He's such a nice man and he has years of experience taking people out on fishing excursions, so he knows where to find fish and he won't be happy until someone's caught something - even I somehow managed to catch a pretty decent sized barracuda and a big jack! We did try to catch some tarpon but they seemed to be in hiding so instead Piggie took us to different spots where we had fun catching some bonefish and snappers. For US$200 (BZ$400 - halfday excursion), Piggie picked and dropped us off at our hotel's dock, gave us all the rods and baits we needed, did all the "dirty work" (i.e. retrieving the hook from the barracuda's mouth!!), and spent all his time looking at the water, making sure that if there was a fish in the area we'd be able catch it. Make sure to bring some Belikin beers to celebrate your catch on the ride back to Caye Caulker!

Jefie's Profile Photo
Mar 13, 2011

Big Fish Dive: fishing & dive experts

Big Fish Dive located to the southern end of Caye Caulker is an excellent dive and fishing shop. They also offer snorkelling tours, I believe.

All day deep-sea fishing trip cost US$240 for the boat, up to 4 persons allowed. Bait, reels, fishing equipment is all included. Though they said light snack fare (local fruits) would be included, we were not offered any.

I would not recommend fishing for anyone who was not already skilled in it. I'm not an avid fisherman, and I think I caught a total of 2 fish in 5 hours! My husband, on the other hand, is a fishing enthusiast and caught 20 or so fish. The experts, however, were the two guides with us, who managed to score a large barracuda that we ended up trading with a local restaurant, Hakuna Matata, for two dinners.

There were myriad of different fish species, including grouper, yellowtail snapper, and triggerfish!

Icemaiden02's Profile Photo
May 06, 2007

Snorkelling trip 7

The captain had a fishing line out as we were sailing, no rod or anything just a line and managed to snag a Barracuda, a big one. How he pulled it in without cutting his finger I don’t know! He threw it onto the part of the boat where I was dangling my feet, I got such a fright! A quick bash on the head and some violent flicking around and it was a goner. Quite disgusting really.
The barracuda got de-scaled and was soon barracuda steaks. Sam was fascinated to see the inside of a fish.

Nov 09, 2005

Top 5 Caye Caulker Writers

Jefie's Profile Photo

"Something different under the sun!"
Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

"Caye Caulker - Ya Betta Belize It!"
JetlagCity's Profile Photo

"I Miss Caye Caulker Already"
Maria_75's Profile Photo

"Caye Caulker"

Go fishing

Do like the belizeans and go fishing. You don't need more than a hook and a string, and sit down and relax until the fish bites. Go to the Lazy Lizard at the split and you can even take a beer and listen to reaggae or r'n'b while you are fishing.

Maria_75's Profile Photo
Nov 09, 2004

Go Fishing

Beside diving you can go fishing, we didnt, but as you can see it is possible - but the name of the operator ??!!

LotusV8's Profile Photo
Dec 03, 2005

Snorkelling trip 6

It was then time to sail home while sipping on rum punch and snacking on conch ceviche (caught fresh while snorkelling) with reggae music in the background.

Nov 09, 2005

Things To Do Near Caye Caulker

Things to Do

Belize Zoo

If you get a chance to check out Belize Zoo outside of Belize City, be sure to leave your mark on the wall here. The cost is about 2.75 USD, 5.00 in Belize Dollars. The money goes to donations for the...
Things to Do

Xunantunich was one of my favourite Mayan ruins in Belize. Unlike most of the other ruins I was able to investigate this large ruin on my own, so I could climb up and down the large pyramids and tombs...

Getting to Caye Caulker

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!