Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Tikal Maya Ruins
"The tour starts in San Ignacio at 7:30am where you will be explained step by step the activities of the day. Then you will drive to the the Belize border for 20 minutes where you will be escorted through the border. After you cross the border into Guatem you will drive to Tikal which is 1.5 hours away. You will be able to spend 3.5 hours in Tikal. Then you will drive about 30 minutes where you will have lunch for about an hour. Afterwards you will drive for about 1.5 hours back to the border. Once you cross the boarder there will be another 20 minute drive until San Ignacio.""""This tour is great for both young and senior citizens because of it easy access. Tikal is filled with wild life like monkeys turkeys
From $156.00

Full-Day Exploration of the Caracol Maya Temple
"An early departure from San Ignacio Town is required. You will be picked up at your hotel at approximately 7:30 am and will travel for two hours south of San Ignacio Town through the scenic Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve. FYI: all transportation guide fees park entrance fees and your lunch are included. During rainy season this site is only accessible in a 4W drive vehicle.This large ancient Maya archaeological site is located in the Cayo District of Belize within the Chiquibul National Park. At Caracol there are approximately 267 structures per square kilometer 85% higher than Tikal. The site covers approximately 200 square kilometers and within this area
From $110.00

Caracol Day Trip from San Ignacio
"Caracol the largest Mayan archaeological site in Belize was also the largest metropolis in the Maya lowlands during the Classic Period. In 650 AD the urban area of Caracol had a radius of approximately 6 miles (10 km) around the center of the site. Caracol maintained a population of more than 140000 people through the creation of an immense agricultural system and elaborate city planning. After hotel pickup in San Ignacio board your comfortable minivan or SUV for the approximate 2.5-hour drive to Caracol located within the Chiquibul Forest Reserve. En route
From $120.00

Cahal Peche Tips (7)

While in San Ignacio, Don't Miss Cahal Pech

I enjoyed Cahal Pech much more than I thought I would. It doesn't have the large, impressive looking structures like Xunantunich or Caracol, but it had several smaller structures and lots of hallways and nooks and crannies to explore. If you like to wander around and explore, make sure to visit Cahal Pech. They said it Plus, it's on a main road in San Ignacio, so much easier to get to than Caracol.

Cahal Pech demonstrates the late pre-classic temples and had two separate ball courts. It was probably a hilltop residence of royalty. It was abandoned by 800 A.D. and consists of 34 structures. There was also a little museum at the visitor's center, but I'm not sure it was worth an extra fee just to see the visitor's center. If time is limited, just see the ruins and skip the museum.

saraheg77's Profile Photo
saraheg77
Apr 04, 2011

Cahel Pech

These Mayan ruins are located a 30 minute uphill walk from San Ignacio. There are 34 structures here and evidence of occupation as early as 1000 BC. It is believed to have served as a royal residence.

I liked the intimacy of Cahel Pech, there are many narrow hallways and archways leading to small rooms and courtyards.

The ruins are open from 6am to 6pm. Admission is $5 US.

See my travelogue for more photos from Cahel Pech.

windsorgirl's Profile Photo
windsorgirl
Mar 22, 2005

Cahal Pech

Cahal Pech was the easist of the Mayan ruins for me to visit as it was just a 5 minute walk from my hotel. Hence it was also the first ruin in Belize that I toured on my own without the "interference" of a guide. The site is located near the top of a hill overlooking the town of San Ignacio. Like many of the Mayan ruins in Belize the site is covered with dense jungle.
Cahal Pech was occupied continuously from 1200 B.C. to 800 A.D. when like much of the Mayan world, it fell into decline. It was probably a very important town and dominated the Belize River valley.
You enter the site through a small but decent museum. Then you wander down a footpath through the jungle until you get to Plaza B. This is where you will find the Audiencia which the tallest pyramid here. Surrounding the plaza are other buildings consisting of chambers and rooms that I was able to crawl and climb around. This is something I did little of on the tours of other Mayan sites. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. You can also visit Plaza A and Plaza D which smaller but enjoyable. The site is very shady because of all the trees and a visit is therefore quite enjoyable on a hot day.
Cahal Pech is open daily from 8am to 4pm. It cost $10 to visit.

Paul2001's Profile Photo
Paul2001
Apr 14, 2008

Cahal Pech

Cahal Pech was populated by the Mayans from 1000 BC to AD 800.

"Cahal Pech" means "place of ticks" but that's not what the Mayans called it. The name comes from the 1950's when the area was used as a cow pasture.

I put more photos of Cahal Pech in a travelogue.

ymike2000's Profile Photo

Mile 6 Cristo Rey Road, San Ignacio, 000000, Belize
PO Box 53, San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize
Paslowfalls Road, Bullet Tree Falls Village, Bullet Tree Falls Village, 501

Cahal Pech: Disney-like restoration of Maya ruin

Controvery surrounds the Cahal Pech site, as locals objected to the overly restored feel of the Maya ruins at this site.

Although quite important for Belizean archeology, the main temple has been "restored" for tourists with plastered carvings in a Disneyworld style. Cahal Pech, "Place of the Ticks", was given when the area was used a cow pasture.

We didn't enjoy this site too much, as it seemed overly commercialized and geared towards tourists.

Icemaiden02's Profile Photo
Icemaiden02
May 06, 2007

mayan ruins

Cahal Pech is a nice place to see, but if you are really intereted in mayan ruins you shold visit xunantunich. it is the best mayan site in belize, in my opinion. its alittle out of the way but a definate must in you are going to visit one site. at cahal pech there are a couple sacrifical walls still in tact and what seems like a mini ball court, but they are pretty obscure and the site is not that extensive.

deedeechi's Profile Photo
deedeechi
Nov 28, 2005

Cahal Pech Ruins

Cahal Pech (Tick city) was a maya city with some importance. There are 34 buldings grouped in 7 plazas and spreaded over 6 acres.
It has an small museum.

mayadoc's Profile Photo
mayadoc
Nov 28, 2004

Top 5 San Ignacio Writers

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Bwana_Brown

"San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
windsorgirl's Profile Photo

windsorgirl

"5 Days In Belize's Jungle"
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

"The Lodge at Chaa Creek"
diver-x's Profile Photo

diver-x

"San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure"
grandmaR's Profile Photo

grandmaR

"San Ignacio - a one stoplight town"

Things to Do Near San Ignacio

Xunantunich

Xunantunich was one of my favourite Mayan ruins in Belize. Unlike most of the other ruins I was able to investigate this large ruin on my own, so I could climb up and down the large pyramids and tombs...

Caves and Tubing

One of our two prime objectives of staying in the San Ignacio area was to explore a Mayan cave. The particular one that we wanted to see was Actun Tunichil Muknal (known as ATM or 'Cave of the Crystal...

Falls and Mountain Pine Ridge

This is believed to be the highest waterfall in Central America and is actually over 1,500 ft to the bottom. A viewing platform overlooks the falls. There is a short scenic trail around the escarpment...

Tikal

At Clarissa Falls, Mark will arrange the entire trip to Tikal--just tell him when you want to go---its about $100 per person. He drove us to the border, walked us over, and introduced us to the...

Tours

All of our tours in the San Ignacio area originated from Belize CIty. Prior to going to Belize I contacted pacztours and scheduled a trip to ATM for me and my family. Pacztours picked us up in Belize...

Tropical Wings Nature Center

We have been to bigger and more inclusive types of butterfly places - in Costa Rica and in Key West. But this one does like the Belize zoo, and concentrates on Belize butterflies and plants. It made a...

Getting to San Ignacio

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map