A thatch roofed church first stood here in 1620 and lasted nearly 200 years before a storm blew it away. This new was built and re-built and finally finished in 1892 and occupies the eastern side of the Plaza Mayor. It has a magnificent Gothic altar to your left on entering, and a statue dating from 1713 called the "Cristo de Vera Cruz".
Open every day but only from 9h00 - 13h00, + services every evening at 20h00, different times the w/end.
This church stands overlooking Plaza Major in the old part of Trinidad,and is the largest church in Cuba.It took seventy five years to build,the work being completed in 1892.The original church that stood on this site was destroyed in a hurricane in the 19 th century.
A view on the park and the "Iglesia parroquial de la Santisima Trinidad"
Dominating the square this church with a four-aisle interior has a fine neo-gothic altar dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy with a painting of the famous Cuban Artist Antonio Herr
Look at the dog in front - a gift of the german naturalist Alexander von Humboldt - father of modern geography and visiting Cuba twice.He lived in Trinidad for a while.
The cathedral of the Holy Trinity was built between 1817 and 1892 and is the largest church in Cuba. Its major attraction is the wooden statue called the "Senor de la Vera Cruz". The building itself is quite simple on the outside, but it's nice inside.
This church was constructed in the end of 19th century. On the same place there were earlier an old church from 1600, that got destroyed by a hurricane.
A wood statue from 18th century, made in Spain, is an important item in the church. The statue was made for Vera Cruz in Mexico, but was left 1731 on Cuba after the fourth attempt by the ship that had come with the statue, without success due to hard winds, to leave the island.
Señor de la Vera Cruz is now worshiped here.
(It is a tradition in this part of the world to give different names to the statues of Christ)