map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Santo Domingo City Tour from Punta Cana
"You will be picked up at your Punta Can hotel in a comfortable air-conditioned van mini bus or bus (depending on the group size). You will be greeted by an experienced professional guide who will be your personal guide from the day's start to finish.The first stop in the capital will be at the Three Eyes National Park with underground caves and lagoons used by the Taino Indians (the Dominican Republic's origina built in 1992 on the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' landing in the New World. Then you will be off to the oldest streets of the Western Hemisphere in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone a 16-square block neighborhood oozing with Dominican history and culture.Your first peek at the Colonial Zone comes at the Columbus Palace. Completed in 1514 it was the home of Christopher Columbus's son
From $113.00

Santo Domingo Day Trip from Punta Cana
"You will be picked up at your Punta Can hotel in a comfortable air-conditioned van mini bus or bus (depending on the group size). You will be greeted by an experienced professional who will be your personal guide from the day's start to finish.The first stop in the capital will be at the Three Eyes National Park with undergroun the Dominican Republic's original inhabitants. From there you'll make a quick photo stop at the Columbus Lighthouse built in 1992 on the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' landing in the New World. Then you will be off to the oldest streets of the Western Hemisphere in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone a 16-square block neighborhood oozing with Dominican history and culture.Your first peek at the Colonial Zone comes at the Columbus Palace. Completed in 1514
From $113.00

Faro a Colón and Parque Los Tres Ojos Tour
"After hotel pickup in Santo Domingo head to Faro a Colón about a 10- to 15-minute drive from the city center in the district of Santo Domingo Este.This 10-story-high lighthouse-style monument to Christopher Columbus is said to house the explorer’s remains although this is disputed by some — learn about this controversial subject and admire the monument’s imposing architecture as you tour the structure which is part mausoleum part museum
From $95.00

By taxi Tips (8)

Santo Domingo Airport Taxi Service

Before leaving for my trip to the Dominican Republic I was able to call his American phone number that I found on his website - www.SantoDomingoTaxi.com at 305-587-2660. I wanted to fly into Santo Domingo because I could get a direct cheaper flight. I had two destinations I needed to go to. I spent a week in Juan Dolio and then I needed to go to the Northern Coast, Samana. I don't speak very much Spanish and was worried about getting around. The owner/driver's name is Michael and he speaks perfect English. He was able to take me and my family to both locations in a very nice clean newer minivan. There were other companies that charged a few dollars less then him, I think about $10 but it was well worth the extra few dollars. He called before we left to confirm the pickup and what I thought was very smart of him, he didn't charge anything till we got there. We had read a few reviews for other companies that make you pay before and then they either didn't show up or they were very late. All in all I gave him a 10 out of 10. Great service, well informed of the sites and areas. He even stopped to help us get the local currency, pesos without charging us more. He is a good guy and provides a good service.

Potoole
Jan 10, 2016

Flabbergasted

Taxis are not just means of transportation. They transport you into another dimension. Such beaten up and gutted out vehicles are difficult to find the world over. It is a minor miracle that they are actually running not to mention being allowed to run. The downtown fare up to the “Faro a Colon” structure goes for 200 pesos but the attempts to get 300 out of you are incessant. Being firm is going to gain not only a dollar in your pocket but also admiration in the eyes of the tout. The airport-to-town fare is 40USD. Yes, it is hard to believe that you pay the same money for the same trip as if in Canada or US. The cause in this case is not the standard of living but the monopoly situation of a single company and even the “illegal” ones are copying it, so there is no respite. At least one gets to be in a luxurious piece of equipment compared to what the usual taxis are in the city.

Assenczo's Profile Photo
Assenczo
Mar 06, 2013

Serious taxi companies

Taxis in Santo Domingo, as well as the whole Dominican Republic, don't run by the meter. All serious companies have pretty much flat rates. How it works is that you call the company, ask for a cab to your home/hotel/place to pick you up, then when you come to your destination the driver calls the dispatch (called base amongst them) and they will give them the rate and all the parties in the car will hear it loud and clear.

Some reputable taxi companies I've used are:

Excelente taxi: (809) 593-8000.
Apolo taxi: (809) 537-0000. They also have limos for rent.
Taxi Anacaona: (809) 530-4800.
Aero taxi: (809) 688-3131, (809) 688-1212.

marielexoteria's Profile Photo
marielexoteria
Apr 04, 2011

Taxis

Santo Domingo is a large city, and moving around by public transport is confusing. Our Dominican friend told us there were legal buses, as well as collective cars.... but he strongly discouraged us to use these. We did not have many time and journeys by public transport, with some changes from/to our friend's place, would have been too long.

We took a couple of taxis. It was cheap and convenient (being two of us, and of course compared to prices inn Spain: a 30 minutes trip did cost us 150 pesos!!). Told your hotel receptionist or other local (shop assistant, etc) to call the taxi for you. Agree the price in advance, and leave the driver about a 20% tip if you're happy with the service. If you want to return at certain time, you can agree it with the driver (we did this once and we found him punctually waiting for us).

Belsaita's Profile Photo
Belsaita
Mar 07, 2006

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Santo Domingo

50A Maximo Gomez Ave, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
51 Ave. G. Washington, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 1001-101, Caribbean
Hotels
Arzobispo Merino & Emillano Tejera, Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
Hotels
Abraham Nunez St, P.O. Box 1348, Boca Chica Beach, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
Calle Danae #62, Gazcue
Calle Danae No 35, Gazcue

Taxi Dominicano

When in Santo Domingo I usually use the services of Taxi Dominicano. They can pick me up or take me around either in a taxi or a mini bus. The guys at Taxi Domincano really know their way around Santo Domingo and the Dominican Republic.

Taxi Dominicano has helped me find the local cock fights in San Cristobal which I needed to shoot for a documentary. Taxi Dominicano picked me up in La Romana and took me to Santo Domingo. I recently went on a trip to "el campo" with Taxi Dominicano. We went to Valle De Villa Altagracia and had a few beers at a local roadside bar and I will post a short video of that trip to my website soon!

dr-tourist's Profile Photo
dr-tourist
Sep 20, 2005

Taxi Monaga

Taxi Monaga is an air-conditioned van leased by Monaga Corp. (A gay-firiendly boutique guesthouse in Zona Colonial). The owner/operator of this service is Jose Camilo, who you will learn can be trusted to the fullest. Jose is bilingual and will not only transport you from airport to your hotel, but also will act as a personal tour guide throughout the city, and around the countryside. Jose will show you the points of interests, restaurants, nightlife and even offers van service to Samana, Santiago, San Pedro -- wherever you want to go! His rates are very reasonable and he will quickly become your 'best friend' in the DR!

bohioprop's Profile Photo
bohioprop
May 07, 2005

taxi from the airport

Taxi from the airport to the city will cost you $25-$30, and the drivers will accept dollars. This is for a 'tourist taxi'; you can possibly get a cheaper ride from a regular taxi if you find one at the airport, but they are not as safe. (I mean, you will have all your belongings, money and valuables with you, so why risk over a few dollars?)

Feb 01, 2005

Taxi Driver

I used several taxis, and this guy was the best. He is an older guy, very courteous and friendly, very knowledgeable about the city. He also drives very carefully. His spanish is very easy to understand.

You can call him at 846 9167; his name is Luis.

Feb 01, 2005

Top 5 Santo Domingo Writers

marielexoteria's Profile Photo

marielexoteria

"My hometown, la Ciudad Primada de América"

"City of Happy People"
Belsaita's Profile Photo

Belsaita

"Welcome to chaos... have fun!!"
alfredop's Profile Photo

"Santo Domingo"

Things to Do Near Santo Domingo

Things to Do

Faro a Colón - Columbus Lighthouse

First the driver took us to the Columbus Lighthouse Monument (Faro a Colon). (Faro is the Spanish for lighthouse). The building was begun in the 1930s and was finished about 1992. The huge building,...

Getting to Santo Domingo

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map