Map &

Antigua Market Cooking Class and Choco Museum in Antigua
From $150.00
Quetzaltenango Street Food Tour
From $32.00

Casa Santo Domingo Tips (6)

Casa Santo Domingo: High End Dining in a Restored Convent

The Casa Santo Domingo Hotel is set amidst the ruins of the former church and convent. The grounds are fun to explore with fine gardens set amongst crumbled walls and restored walkways. The hotel is considered one of the best in Antigua. And it has a restaurant to match this reputation. While we did not stay here we did experience the restaurant for dinner one night. Their food can be best described as a contemporary traditional Guatemalan if that makes sense. I went with the tasting menu of 5 courses, none of which I can actually remember. I had taken a copy of the menu but now cannot find it. Suffice it to say that it was a very good meal and well worth the price. Overall a very nice dining experience.

Favorite Dish Tasting menu...I wish I could remember the dishes

Hopkid's Profile Photo
Nov 28, 2007

Casa Santo Domingo: Beautiful setting for excellent food

The restaurant at the Casa Santo Domingo offers delicious food in a series of rooms open to the gardens. On cool nights they bring out small heaters. The restaurant has an extensive breakfast buffet in addition to a typical menu. The dinners are delightfully romantic as the room is lit entirely by candles. Service is outstanding.

Sue08080's Profile Photo
Apr 09, 2006

Casa Santo Domingo: Monastic Elegance...If Such a Thing!

This is as elegant as you will find here or anywhere! This restaurant/hotel is set in the ruins of the Iglesia y Convento Santo Domingo built in the 1500s. We treated ourselves to dinner here our last night in Antigua. The rain was coming down in sheets outside and it had become a little chilly. No sooner had we put on our sweaters, our waiter came over to us with a "burner" and placed it nearby so we would not be cold. Santo Domingo is also a bit dark and mostly lit by candles, which adds to the "monastic ambiance." When we raised our menus to read all of a sudden a light was gently turned on above our table and then dimmed again after we were done. I dine out a lot in NYC and let me tell you, I was impressed. By the way, the food was also quite good.

Favorite Dish I was not too hungry and had tortilla soup and the garden salad. The chicken, tortilla strips and guacamole were served to me in the middle of a bowl but with no broth. How strange, I thought, until our waiter came, and as if it were tea, poured the broth from a decorative "tea pot" into my bowl. How elegant. Dolores ate "chapin" style which consisted of the Guatemalan traditional chicken, rice, salad, tortillas and black bean puree. Although the desserts looked good, we settled just for tea since we were both quite full.

AlwaysATraveler's Profile Photo
Jul 29, 2005

Casa Santo Domingo Hotel and Museum: All the food is great

The restaurant is excellent. Located in a converted Monestary, the hotel is a very economical 5 star hotel. The hotel exhibits all the religous art from the convent, museum ruins being excavated in the back.
The staff is incredile with great pool, avocado trees, and scarlet Macaws. You must try this restaurant.

Favorite Dish Wonderful breakfast buffet, love the brown egg omelets, the pork loin was excellent.

Doug1054's Profile Photo