map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Salzburg City Tour - On the Traces of Mozart
"After your coach tour you will visit the newly reopened Residence of Mozart on Makart Square dating back to 1617. Mozart lived in this house from 1773 to 1780. Today this famous residence houses a museum on the first floor of Mozart’s former living quarters documenting the history of the building and the life of the Mozart family. Your tour will conclude at Mozart's Residence allowing you time to enjoy the attraction at leisure and there will be an opportunity for you to see an informative multi-media show."
From EUR26.00

Salzburg Card
"The free brochure 'Salzburg Guide' (received with the card at exchange of your voucher) is the ideal complement to your Salzburg Card; it includes numerous color photos and provides details on all the sights as well as advice for sights you won't want to miss. Offering the best value for money the Salzburg Card is the perfect way to get around and see the sites.""""Save money as you see the city sights with the Salzburg Card. With a choice between a 24 48 or 72 hour pass
From EUR24.00

Panoramic Salzburg City Tour with Coffee and Cake
"Meet your guide and begin your Salzburg sightseeing tour at Mirabell Square where you'll pass Mirabell Palace and its magnificent Baroque gardens which you may recognize if you’re a fan of the film version of The Sound of Music. Built in 1606 by Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau for his mistress the palace today is the seat of the city government. Next discover some sites related to Salzburg’s most famous resident Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. First up is the Mozarteum one of the best music schools in the world and one which attracts thousands of students each year. Then head to the house where Mozart was born in 1756 and where he lived with his family. Continue your tour into Salzburg’s Baroque Old Town
From EUR31.00

Mozart's Birthplace Tips (85)

Mozart’s birthplace

This is the house where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in 1756. He lived here for the first seventeen years of his life – when he wasn’t off traveling, which was most of the time.

In 2006, just in time for Mozart’s 250th birthday, a German children’s book was published called Little Amadeus – The Life of Young Mozart by Deborah Einspieler, a dramaturge at the Frankfurt Opera. Her book tells the story of an eight-year-old German boy named Valentin who finds himself locked inside Mozart’s birth house after closing time. He soon meets a friendly but strangely dressed boy of the same age, who turns out to be Mozart himself, or rather his ghost. The two boys spend the night chatting, and Valentin learns about Mozart’s early years as a child prodigy performing at aristocratic and royal courts all over Europe.

About two-thirds of the way through the book Mozart happens to mention the earlier composer Georg Friedrich Händel. Valentin says he has heard the name, but knows nothing about him. “My Mama only always told me about you.”

Mozart suddenly goes red in the face, takes a long look at Valentin and whispers: “I know your Mama.”

After a confused silence he explains: “It was a few years ago. My sense of time deceives me sometimes. But I’m sure that when I spoke with your mother you weren’t even born yet. It happened in February, on a rainy day. Hearts were hanging all over Salzburg.”

So it was on Valentine’s Day, and Valentin realizes how he got his name.

“On a Sunday afternoon she walked through the apartment, and as soon as she came to my portrait I noticed that she was behaving differently from the other visitors.”

“What do you mean?”

“She didn’t just walk through the rooms, but really got involved in them. I felt that at once. I watched her from inside the portraits. Now and then she stopped, observed everything very carefully and looked deeply into the pictures and discovered the life inside them. […] I liked her so I waited for her. As she went past my portrait I winked at her.”

She winked back, and later hid in the museum so she would be locked in after closing time.

Mozart explains to Valentin: “Also there’s another secret that I haven’t told you yet. It has to do with the winking. In the instant when an observer wants to see me, I can appear as I was at the same age.”

Valentin’s mother was in her twenties at that time, so Mozart’s ghost also appeared at that age. But now they can no longer meet because she is too old.

Valentin objects: “Too old? Wait a minute, my Mama’s 36, that’s not old.” Mozart explains that he died at age 35, so she can no longer see him.

The next morning Valentin’s mother rescues him from the museum and whispers: “When I saw the candlelight flickering in the window, I knew you were okay.”

Second photo: Deborah Einspieler’s book Little Amadeus – The Life of Young Mozart (in German). It includes a CD that was compiled by the sound department of the Frankfurt Opera, with one track sung especially for this recording by the bass Bálint Szabó.

Third photo: Mozart’s birth house is not wheelchair-accessible, as you can see from these stairs going up to the museum. The Mozart family lived in a rather cramped apartment on the third floor (which Americans would call the fourth floor), but now all the upper floors of the house have been turned into a museum.

Photography is not allowed in the museum, so I can’t show you anything that is inside. My favorite part is the second floor, which is entitled “Mozart as an opera composer”. Though he wrote numerous symphonies, concerti and other orchestral works, he considered himself first and foremost an opera composer, as a text panel in the museum points out.

So far I have seen fourteen of Mozart’s operas, most of them many times in different productions and venues. See my travelogue Mozart’s operas on this page.

Fourth photo: Looking up at the front façade of Mozart’s birth house.

Fifth photo: The rear façade, as seen from Universitätsplatz.

Address: Getreidegasse 9, 5020 Salzburg
Phone: +43 662 844313
Website: http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/museums_in_salzburg/museums/mozarts_birthplace

More birth houses of famous people:
• Goethe House and Museum on my Frankfurt am Main page.
• Birth house of Victor Hugo (1802-1885) on my Besançon page.
• Roncole Verdi, birthplace of the opera composer Giuseppe Verdi, on my Busseto page.
• The Brecht House, where the playwright Bertolt Brecht was born, on my Augsburg page.
• The Mozart House in Augsburg, where Leopold Mozart, the father of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, was born.

Next Salzburg review: The second Mozart house

Nemorino's Profile Photo
Nemorino
Aug 04, 2016

Very cool

I must say this is what I was expecting to see in Vienna when we went to the Mozarthaus ... instead we found it here in Salzburg.

Admission is 10 euro and you are given a audio guide.

Once inside the museum has some cool stuff ... among them ... Mozart violin, piano and original music sheets.

The museum gives detail facts about Mozart and his family. We were so glad we came here.

Well worth seeing. Spent about 90 minutes inside and saw everything.

Highly Recommend it

jlanza29's Profile Photo
jlanza29
May 06, 2016

Mozart's House

At last I could see THE HOUSE where the Great Composer was born and lived. It's really a sacred place for lots of people. You can see lots of visitors there.
I found it even hard even to approach the house and to take a picture of it.There were so many people around. I had to wait in turn like at a bus stop.
This is the address: Mozarts Geburtshaus
9 Getreidegasse
It's a typical old Salzburg house, a world famous museum now.
More information for you: tel.+43 0662 84 43 13 and fax: +43 0662 84 06 93
E-mail: archive@mozarteum.at
www.mozarteum.at

hunterV's Profile Photo
hunterV
Feb 07, 2015

Mozart's birthplace

Noted for many things, Salzburg is perhaps most famous as the birthplace of Mozart and hence there is a lot of tourism hinged on the renowned composer's life. Perhaps more so than it should be if you consider the wealth of incredible architecture in the city, the house where he was born is one of the city's top attractions. Located at Getreidegasse 9, Mozart was born nine years after his parents moved into the house in 1747. They lived there until 1773 and a museum commemorating its musical prodigal son opened in 1880. Featuring his childhood violin and other assorted instruments, as well as family portraits, make the museum a must for any Mozart aficionado.

Head over to the Residence Square here

Opening hours 2014:
Daily 9 am-5:30pm*
July, August: daily 9 am-8pm*
*last entrance 30 min. before closing
Guided Tours by prior arrangement.
Mozart’s Birthplace is not wheelchair-accessible.

Admission Fees 2014:
Adults € 10.00
Children (6-14 years) € 3.50
School groups (6-18 years) per person € 3.50
Youths (15-18 years) € 4.00
Groups of 10 adults or more, students, senior citizens € 8.50
Families (2 adults and children under 18) € 21.00
Handicapped persons (certificate of disability necessary) € 8.50, escort free
One time free admission with the Salzburg Card!

Combined ticket: Residence and Birthplace
Adults € 17.00
Children (6-14 years) € 5.00
School groups (6-18 years) per person € 5.00
Youths (15-18 years) € 6.00
Groups of 10 adults or more, students, senior citizens € 14.00
Families (2 adults and children under 18) € 36.00
Handicapped persons (certificate of disability necessary) € 14.00, escort free
One time free admission with the Salzburg Card!

richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Linzer Gasse 9, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria
Bergstrasse 6, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria
Linzer Gasse 20, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria

Mozart Haus

This is the birthplace of the famous Salzburg composer Mozart. He was born and grew up in this his father's house. There is a second Mozart haus on the new side of the river where Mozart lived as an adult.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Dec 08, 2013

Salzburg : Mozarthaus, the birthplace of Mozart

In Salzburg you will find the so-called Mozarthaus, the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, he was born there on January 27th, 1756 as the son of Leopold Mozart, who was a violinist and music-teacher.
On the 3rd floor of Mozarthouse you will see the kitchen of the family Mozart as the first part of the various rooms you can visit.
You will not be able to step inside the kitchen, but you can take a look through a fence.
In anoither room you will see various musical instruments, used by all members of the Mozart family and also the first - rather small - violin of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
In my 3rd photo you can see the very special door-knob of the Mozarthouse in Getreidegasse 9 !
It is made in the shape of a snake, held in the mouth of a lion.
It would be a pity if you would just pass by it without taking a closer look, and you will even be able to knock on the door as it is fully functional still.
---------------------------------------------
Opening times of the Mozart Geburtshaus are:
daily 09.00 a.m. - 06.00p.m. (entry until 05.30p.m.)
in July and August until 07.00p.m. (entry until 06.30p.m.)
Dec.24th: 09.0a.m. -03.00 p.m.

globetrott's Profile Photo
globetrott
Aug 12, 2012

Mozart-Wohnhaus

His former home is on the “new” side of the river, close to the Mirabell Gardens, but just across the bridge from the old town. An easy walk.

Like his birthplace, it is a museum rather than a preserved home.

We spent an hour or so there. It has a lengthy audio visual show, which I have to confess induced a cat nap in me. I blame the post breakfast schnapps (see shopping tips).

Entry was part of our Salzburg Card deal (see Customs tip) so I’m not sure how much it costs usually.

iaint's Profile Photo
iaint
Apr 27, 2012

Mozarts Geburthaus

His birthplace.

The building is centrally located in the old town. Inside it is set out as a museum with exhibits, as opposed to a furnished house.

I’m not a knowledgable music person, so I did learn quite a bit. It took as about an hour to meander through.

iaint's Profile Photo
iaint
Apr 27, 2012

Top 5 Salzburg Writers

globetrott's Profile Photo

globetrott

"Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
WrigleyTodd's Profile Photo

WrigleyTodd

"The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Maryimelda

"Fairyland for Real......"
balhannah's Profile Photo

balhannah

"SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"

Mozart's Birthplace

Mozart's house

Mozart's house, where he was raised. It's a nice yellow house in the center. Every person who come to Salzburg take a picture of this house! And I am not an exception.

Opening hours:

Daily:
9 am – 5.30 pm (last entry 5 pm )
July - Augst:
Until 8 pm (last entry 7.30 pm)

Admission fees:

Adults: € 7,- (€ 12,-)

Pupils (15-18 years of age) : € 3,- (€ 4,50)

Children (6-14 years of age) : € 2,50 (€ 3,50)

Children (up to 6 years of age) : free

loja's Profile Photo
loja
May 06, 2011

Hagenauer House

Hagenauer House at Getreidegasse 9, in Salzburg is of course, better known as Mozart's House. Wolfgang A madeus Mozart was born in this house on January 27, 1756. The family lived in the house for a period of approximately 26 years and were family friends of the owner Johannes Hagenauer who was a wealthy toy dealer.

The house is a famous museum today and features the life of the great composer and his family on every floor. It is open every day till about 5.30pm and later in the summer high season (July and August).

Maryimelda's Profile Photo
Maryimelda
Mar 01, 2011

Mozart's birthplace facade

On our walking tour, we of course walked past the "birthplace of Mozart"---I tried to get a shot of a small student peeking out a 3rd floor window, but he was too quick and shy--- therefore just the facade.

dustmon's Profile Photo
dustmon
Jun 21, 2010

Mozart’s birthplace

This is where Mozart was born on 27 January 1756.

The museum houses the portraits of the Mozart family, letters, instruments that belonged to Mozart (his harpsichord, the violin he played as a small child), and the middle class furniture during Mozart’s time.

Opening hours:
Daily from 9am – 5.30pm
July, August from 9am – 8pm (last entrance 30 minutes before)

Entrance fee:
Adults: €7
Children: €2.50
Free with the Salzburg Card!

viddra's Profile Photo
viddra
May 01, 2010

Things to Do Near Mozart's Birthplace

Salzburger Landestheater

For half a century after its Broadway debut, the American musical “The Sound of Music” was unknown to most people in Salzburg and strongly disliked by those few who knew it. As I have already...

Mozarteum

Like what I've said, Who has never heard of the Iconic Wolgang Amadeus Mozart? who was the Most Known Composer of the Classical era. there are actually two Mozart Houses in Salzburg, the house where...

Mirabell Castle and Garden

Mirabell gardens. Zwergerlgarten (dwarves garden). There may have been 28 dwarves modelled on real life subjects. Today there are only 17. I primi gnomi probabilmente risalgono al 1691 –...

Getreidegasse

this will be my things to do tips of the getriedegasse, I will have a separate shopping tip here. getriedegasse is the most famous street in Salzburg since along the street lies Mozart's Birthplace...

Kollegienkirche

there are actually many Roman Catholic Churches in the historic city center of Salzburg as the city was ruled by the Roman Catholic Archbishop Prince in the middle ages and one of the most visited as...

Sound of Music Tour

We went to Salzburg specifically for the Sound of Music tours, as my friend and I are really big fans. It's a great way to see and explore the city! Even if you are not a fan of the movie, I think...

Getting to Mozart's Birthplace

Address

Getreidegasse 9 5020 Salzburg

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map