Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Vienna Small-Group Naschmarkt Food Walking Tour
"Once you meet your guide at a designated meeting point you can get ready for a culinary and multi-cultural stroll through one of most famous Viennese markets. Naschmarkt is always in motion and reflects both seasonal and fashion influences. You will be offered a variety of local fruits and vegetables exotic herbs and spices Mediterranean delicacies and organic specialities.""""Enjoy this 2-hour food-tour and let your guide introduce you to the Naschmarkt food market; and learn about food science
From EUR31.00

Private Half-Day History Walking Tour in Vienna: The City of Many Pasts
"Vienna is not just a city of one past but a city of many pasts. Delve into Vienna's past and present on an insightful 3-hour walking tour of its colorful history and architecture. Your tour begins at Michaelerplatz where the Hofburg the Habsburg’s imperial palace and seat of power since the thirteenth century dominates the square. Clockwise from the palace is the green and gray Loos House designed by Austrian architect Adolf Loos (1870 1933).From there the tour continues down Kohlmarkt and the Graben
From $390.00

Small-Group History Walking Tour in Vienna: The City of Many Pasts
"Vienna is not just a city of one past but a city of many pasts. Delve into Vienna's past and present on an insightful 3-hour walking tour of its colorful history and architecture. Your tour begins at Michaelerplatz where the Hofburg the Habsburg’s imperial palace and seat of power since the thirteenth century dominates the square. Clockwise from the palace is the green and gray Loos House designed by Austrian architect Adolf Loos (1870 1933).From there the tour continues down Kohlmarkt and the Graben
From $90.00

Figlmüller GmbH Tips (23)

Figlmüller: SIZE ISN'T EVERYTHING

The Figlmüller seems to be on everyones lips when they are regailing you with tales of thier first culinary march through the centre of Vienna but I must say, I do wonder why. It serves local dishes - well, one in particular! - and it's certainly touristy, though I wouldn't condemn it for that. No, what it's REALLY famous for, is the size of its schnitzels. There must be photolab technicians all over the world ready to slash their wrists if another snap of a tourist pointing to a stupendously enormous plateful of flattened breadcrumbs hoves into view.

I hate to say it but, as my dear wife says, size isn't everything! Food should surely be judged on taste on quality rather than size...or am I preaching to a world totally won over by the mystifying allure of the Big Mac? If you want to taste meat with your breadcrumbs you'd do better going elsewhere; the Landtmann for example. Or stay put at the Figlmüller and ordering one 'natürlich'. On the other hand, if you really really do want that extraordinary photo...

Favorite Dish I believe the schnitzel is almost compulsory. Sit between two other tables that have ordered one and you could almost share theirs without paying!

themajor's Profile Photo
themajor
Jun 12, 2005

Figlmüller: Enjoy Vienna's Biggest and Most Famous Schnitzel

Before traveling to Vienna, my father and brother (who had previously been to Vienna) highly recommended Figlmüller for the thin schnitzel that is larger than the plate. It is an immensely popular restaurant with tourists -- so advance reservations are usually necessary. My friend Astrid, who is from Vienna and attended my workshop, helped me with the reservations -- and accompanied me to the restaurant.

While restaurants catering to tourists often disappoint, that was certainly not the case with Figlmüller. It is a classy restaurant (but not too formal) -- with a great atmosphere -- and the food is delicious. Of course, both Astrid and I enjoyed the world famous schnitzel -- together with potato salad (topped by delicious greens) and Austrian wine. The total bill was approximately 50 Euros. Personally, I think the price was a fair value for the quality of the food, atmosphere, and experience.

For all travelers to Vienna, I highly recommend the famous schnitzel at Figlmüller!

BillNJ's Profile Photo
BillNJ
Nov 28, 2010

Figlmüller: Try the wonderful snitzel and delicious salads

If you don't have a reservation, you should accept to wait for a while . When you taste the delicious food, you will think that it is worth to wait.
Until I saw that big snitzel plate, I was thinking that people are stingy since they order one snitzel for 2.
Good service and good food and reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish Snitzel and salada and soft drinks.

Caniko's Profile Photo
Caniko
Nov 07, 2004

Figlmüller: "Wiener Schnitzel"

You can get the famous "Wiener Schnitzel" in most Viennese restaurants. The very best and world-renowned you may find in "FIGLMUELLER"-Restaurants, at a fair price. (For dinner a reservation would be recommendable, just to be on the safe side ! )
Figlmueller's is either in Wollzeile-street #5, first district or Baeckerstrasse #6
also 1st district. Have a look at the website and map and find telephone numbers at

Favorite Dish Whereas the "genuine" Wiener Schnitzel is made of VEAL (!), it is usually pork in most restaurants, also at Figlmueller's.(where you of course can order the more expensive veal-variation) According to the Austrian (and German) consumer-laws a "Wiener Schnitzel" HAS to be made of veal, otherwise it has to be named "Schnitzel Vienna-style" or "Wiener Schnitzel of pork-meat".
It is NEVER (!!!) served with any kind of juice, like sometimes in the UK or Germany, as it should be rather dry and crispy, but in most restaurants a piece of lemon is added; it comes usually with potatoe-salad - "Kartoffel-Salat".

WStat's Profile Photo

Kaerntner Strasse 44 / Entry Elisabethstrasse 1, Vienna, Austria
Rilkeplatz 7, Vienna, Vienna, 1040, Austria
Schleifmuhlgasse 25, Vienna, Vienna, 1040, Austria
Opernring 11, Vienna, Vienna, A-1010, Austria

Figlmueller: Most huge Wiener Schnitzel in town!

Figlmueller was one of the few authentic restaurants I visited when I came to Viennafor the first time. After years of staying in Vienna, it is still one of the restaurants I visit particularly when I have some guests from abroad. Just remember - if the old waiters are grumpy - it's because it's expected of them :D

Most of the time, the restaurant is full - be it in winter, spring, autumn and particularly in summer. If you don't get a sit, don't fret. You'll be lucky next time and well there are many nice restaurants nearby. Just don't wait because then you can not stay as long as you wish and that won't be fun at all.

The restaurant by the way is open from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Favorite Dish Definitely Wiener Schnitzel and its salad!

Penelope4's Profile Photo
Penelope4
Sep 11, 2009

Figlmüller: the humungous schnitzel

The hotel recommended it, and then we saw it in a guidebook. I think the restaurant need no extra publicity!!!

It is a rather popular place to eat especially the ultra humungous Wiener Schnitzel.
They have several branches, we went to the one at Backerai Strasse, very close to the St Stephans Cathedral.

Audrey118's Profile Photo
Audrey118
Jun 26, 2003

Figlmüller: Ultra thin pork chop

Here there is a good selection of drinks. I had some white wine, and also some campari mixed with local wine, and there is a good selection of soda - lemon or berry flavoured.

I odered the pork chop with potato salad accompaniment - euro 14 while Sharrie had a calf liver with roasti spuds euro 11, and after that both of us dived into desserts...she had cheese dumplings with poached apricot and I had hazelnut parfait...both very rich but awesome.

The total bill came up to45 euro.

Favorite Dish quiant looking restauratn, lots of dark wood finishing with some black board menu, and a modern lamp shade above.

as the evening was rather warm, we sat by the windows with passerbys gazing into our dinner!!!

Audrey118's Profile Photo
Audrey118
Jun 26, 2003

Figlmüller: Biggest Schneitzel of my life!

If you want Austrian food done right you must go to Figlmuller! I have never seen a schneitzel so big! We had the green and potato salad also which was amazing! Do not leave Vienna without eating here! The waitstaff is very friendly too!

bchbabe15's Profile Photo
bchbabe15
Apr 04, 2011
globetrott's Profile Photo

globetrott

"My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
longsanborn's Profile Photo

longsanborn

"VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
balhannah's Profile Photo

balhannah

"WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

croisbeauty

"Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"

Figlmuller: You will be impressed

Even if we knew that the local "schnitzel" would be different here, the surprise was total. And pleasant!
Don't miss it...
If you want to go there, I would recommend you to make a reservation. It uses to be very busy during the lunchtime.

adema29's Profile Photo
adema29
Feb 14, 2009

Figlmüller: Best Schnitzel in Vienna

Figlmüller is probably one of the most famous places to buy great Austrian food, but it has such a good reputation for a reason.

The thing that struck me the most about Figlmüller was its cosy atmosphere. It wasn’t a huge place, but being so close to everyone else made it feel quite homely and welcoming. It is a family run business and I think that shows quite clearly in the atmosphere they create. (They have been open since 1905!)

The food was fantastic, as it was by far the best Schnitzel I had whilst in Vienna (And I went to quite a few different places). To begin with the value for money was very food as the Schnitzel was enormous and very tasty. The service was also very fast and good, our waiter was a really friendly Austrian gentleman and he made us all feel very welcome.

I can highly recommend visiting this restaurant, I have even made a reservation again for later this year myself!

MishyM
Jun 27, 2006

Figlmüller: Ugliest SMELL ever!

Oh my god, I don't know how someone can enter this restaurant, aren't u irritated by the smell? Sorry but I don't know any locals who would ever go there to eat...the biggest tourist trap !!!

Ok, the Schnitzel is big, but so what..do u cook at home with old oil ( thats exactly the smell at Figlmüller)

Favorite Dish Never would eat something there! I am local I should know!

daol's Profile Photo
daol
Dec 13, 2006

Figlmüller: Huge portions but touristy and unauthentic

Ok, this place is often recommended to tourists as the best place to get authentic Wiener Schnitzel. That's just not true. Figlmüller is famous in Austria for having extremely huge Schnitzels but few would think of them as the best or even real "Wiener". First, Figlmüller makes pork Schnitzels, which is already a big no-no. Wiener Schnitzels are made from veal, period. And then, the important thing about the dish is not it's size but the quality of the meat, the perfect golden-brown crust and the Viennese potato salad (which is not "German style potato salad"; there's no mayonnaise in it, just a light vinaigrette) that goes with it. I wouldn't say that Figlmüller necessarily does any of these things badly but, in the end, what they do is just belly busting novelty cuisine for tourists. There is much better to be had in this city.

So, if you really want to try this dish while in Vienna, and why wouldn't you, it's iconic and can be quite delicious if done right, I'd say, leave the first district which is full of mediocre tourist traps anyway, and look for an authentic Viennese "beisl" in one of the less touristy areas. A few suggestions to start with would be Rudis Beisl, Gasthaus Wickerl, Wratschko on Neustiftgasse and Gastwirtschaft Schilling. You can google them, they're all easy to find and easy to reach from the city center.

Favorite Dish Wiener Schnitzel is really a thinly pounded veal escalope, coated in breadcrumbs and fried in lard. It's usually served with a slice of lemon and a salad, either a potato salad with red onions in a vinaigrette, a green salad, a cucumber salad or a mix of those. Sometimes Styrian pumpkin seed oil is used in the salad which gives it a delicious nutty flavor. From time to time it's also served with french fries and sometimes, but rarely, with rice. There's never any sauce or gravy served with it since that would destroy the crispy texture. Condiments are also generally frowned upon, except for a kind of sweet-tart cranberry compote (Preiselbeeren - European wild cranberries) tha Austrians enjoy with many meat dishes.

Figlmüller's Schnitzels are made of pork and they have perfected a technique to make them as large and uniform as possible. They are not considered authentic.

Krampus
Apr 28, 2012

Things to Do Near Vienna

Naschmarkt

After passing the Vienna Secession Building we were planning on heading towards the Vienna Ring Road when we saw a rather interesting looking market area, so we went to have a look. It turned out to...

Karlsplatz

like what I've Said, the City of Vienna has many known and hidden squares and there are even walking tours of the hidden squares of Vienna in some tour companies. One of the Largest Squares is the...

Theater an der Wien

Go and see the Theater an der Wien. This is the theatre were Beethoven's opera 'Fidelio' went in premiere in 1805. There is a plaque on the wall to honour it. I love the opera although it is not often...

Karlskirche - St Charles Church

Karlskirche or Charles’ Church is situated at the Karlsplatz and dedicated to Saint Charles or Cardinal Carlo Borromeo. Construction of this church started in 1716 and was accomplished by 1737. Church...

Wien Museum Karlsplatz - Historical Museum of the City of Vienna

First of all, this museum implemented and conducts visitor friendly policy of non-barriers. It will tell you the story of Vienna from the times of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius to the Times of...

Wiener Staatsoper - State Opera House

One of the two most famous Opera houses in the World (La Scala in Milan, Italy) being the other one. The Opera House in Vienna is one of the many symbols in this beautiful city. We weren't able to...

Getting to Vienna

Address

2 Locations to choose from in Vienna

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map