Map &

"Welcome to Vienna - Vienna Card
From EUR104.00
Vienna Pass Including Vienna Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Ticket
From EUR59.00
Belvedere Palace 3-Hour Private History Tour in Vienna: World-Class Art in an Aristocratic Utopia
From $390.00

Zentralfriedhof - Central Cemetary Tips (31)

Zentralfriedhof Tombs of the musicians.

On a sunny day, don't hesitate to visit this immense cemetery of easy access by tram 71 from the centre. Presently as the underground line U3 has been extended till Simmering it is shorter to take the U3 to Enkplatz and then tram 6 or 71 to Stop Zentralfriedhof Tor 2.
The graves of the famous "Musiker" are easy to find, to the left in the big central lane which leads to the church Karl Lueger.

When I arrived at the grave of Schubert, my favourite musician, there was a small group of very noisy tourists and to add to the noise a lawn mower was touring around the graves.
The ideal circumstances for a dialogue "d'outre tombe" with Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Straus were obviously not reunited so that I made a tour of the monumental "bourgeois" graves along the main lane reading some epitaphs.
I so discovered a very beautiful grave of a person who was a hairdresser in Vienna. He had to be an illustrious hairdresser given the magnificence of his tomb.
I said to myself that it was financially better to be a hairdresser in Vienna than a musician. Mozart will not contradict me.
When the group of tourists and the lawn mower had disappeared I could walk back to the graves of the "Musiker" and honour the memory of these creators of beauty.

Tram 71 from the terminus of the square Schwarzenberg. Stop Zentralfriedhof Tor 2.
Or (new) U3 direction Simmering till fore last station Enkplatz. Here at Grillgasse/Enkplatz U you can take tram 6 direction Zentralfriedhof 2. Tor or tram 71 direction Zinnerg stop Zentralfriedhof Tor 2.
About 25 minutes from Stephansplatz U.
For public transport info see

Mar 15, 2015

Our favored quartet.

Last time my wife and I were in Vienna we did not visit the tombs of the Musicians at the Zentralfriedhof because it was raining. It is certainly full of romantic to visit a cemetery under the rain but we are not that romantic.
We tried again this year and after consulting the weather forecast on the Austrian TV we left our hotel in the Centrum as a few hours without rain and even some sunshine were announced.
Presently as the underground line U3 has been extended till Simmering it is shorter to take the U3 to Enkplatz and then tram 6 or 71 to Stop Zentralfriedhof Tor 2. About 25 minutes from Stephansplatz.

The graves of the famous "Musiker" are easy to find, a few hundred meters to the left in the big central lane which leads to the church Karl Lueger.

The tombs of the musicians were the aim of our visit, we are amateurs of classical music although we had a rock'n roll period when we were young, and Beethoven, Brahms and Schubert are our favored. Mozart, from his monument, was directing and also playing so that we could hear a fantastic quartet.
On the contrary of my first visit here when a group of noisy tourists and a lawnmower was disturbing their music, this time it was all quiet so that we could be close in harmony with our favored composers. "Que du bonheur"!
Only one was missing: Chopin, but we visited his tomb at the Père Lachaise in Paris.

Jun 28, 2013

The Third Man

A great way to get to know a city before you visit is to watch a movie about it. Film directors are experts at finding the best views, and these aren't necessarily the most popular sights. Possibly the greatest British movie of all time is the Third Man, based on Graham Greene's novel of murder and intrigue in post-war Vienna. I found that scurrying about from one film set to another, seeking out the same views that I had seen in the movie, gave me a glimpse of Vienna that no tourist guide could ever show me. It opened up views on the city that were far better than I could locate on my own, and many were off the beaten tourist path.

You don't have to be a huge fan of the movie to enjoy this kind of tour. I've watched it once and that was enough for me. The great thing about it is the feeling of discovery. Scouting out each location and then suddenly realising that *here* is where Orson Welles stood in that climactic scene. I've already written about the famous Ferris Wheel in Prater, but there are many other scenes, some of which offer much better views and photographic opportunities. Some of my favourites I've given photographs for here, like the Zentralfriedhof cemetary, the Maria am Gestade church, Michaelerplatz, St Ruprecht's Kirche and the final scene at Minoreten Kirche.

There are tours you can pay for that show you where the scenes were set, but I think you'll have much more fun searching them out for yourself. You can use the excellent web page I linked to for discovering where everything took place, and then make your own plan to get about the town and see what you want to. I didn't go to see every location in the film, that would take some real fanatical dedication, and instead chose what looked to be the coolest, most memorable ones.

antistar's Profile Photo
May 26, 2013

Where Beethoven's funeral took place

Built between 1685 and 1727, Dreifaltigkeitskirch - or Church of the Holy Trinity - is located just slightly off the beaten path and is therefore less popular with tourists. However, the lovely Baroque design of the church and its monastery - both of which are open to the public - are worth the short detour. It is one of the earliest examples of Baroque architecture in Vienna and it was considered very modern for its time. Several pieces around the altar have been attributed to German scuptor Veit Stoss, and together they form a remarkable ensemble. Another reason why people might be interested in visiting this church is because it was the site of Ludwig van Beethoven's funeral. His body was brought to the church shortly after his death on March 26, 1827, and the procession that took place three days later was attended by about 20,000 people, including Franz Schubert who would die a year later and be buried close to Beethoven at Währing cemetery (both graves have since been moved to Zentralfriedhof cemetery).

Jefie's Profile Photo

Mautner Markhof-Gasse 72, Vienna, 1110, Austria
Paragonstrasse 1, Vienna, 1110, Austria
Schneidergasse 7, Vienna, Vienna, 1110, Austria

A vistit to Vienna's Cemetery: the Zentralfriedhof

The Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery) is Vienna's main cemetery and the final resting place of some really famous Viennese people. It's a very large cemetery and a bit off city. Make sure you go there on a sunny day since it's a large place and also demands a lot of your time.

Opened in 1874, this enormous cemetery spans 2.4 square kilometres with 3.3 million interred here. It is also second largest cemetery, after Hamburg's Ohlsdorf Cemetery (more than 4 km²), by area and largest by number of interred in Europe.

Interred in the Zentralfriedhof are notables such as Beethoven and Schubert who were moved there in 1888, and Johannes Brahms.

yvgr's Profile Photo
Dec 02, 2012

Karl Lueger church.

This time we entered the "Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Gedächtniskirche" and were surprised because it is an interesting and certainly imposing monumental ensemble. It is a unique cemetery church created by Max Hegele in Jugendstil built around 1910, with apparently nothing comparable in the whole history of art.
We liked it on the contrary of the Karlskirche in the Centrum. This church shows that a century ago architects and decorators were able to build successfully monumental buildings in a style other than the neo-something so often encountered in Vienna.

My photo Nr1 shows the amazing starry sky on the inside of the cupola.

Worthwhile the trip outside Vienna.

This church is property of the community of Vienna and is assigned to the Catholic Church but is open for all religious denominations.

Sep 17, 2012

Central Cemetery

Central Cemetery, the largest cemetery in Austria and Europe's second largest cemetery, was opened in 1874. It has an area of 2.5 sq.mi. In 1907-10 was build the Karl- Lueger-Kirche, the Art Nouveau-style church in the center of the cemetery.

From the Main Gate an avenue leads to the "graves of honor" reserved for famous personalities.

A detailed plan of the cemetery and of the "graves of honor" can be obtained at Gate 2.

Among the many notable persons laid to rest here are the following musicians: Beethoven (relocated grave), Brahms, Gluck, Mozart (commemorative grave; he is actually buried in St Marx Cemetery), Schubert, Johann Strauss (the Elder and the Younger).

It'sa great place to visit since it is displaying Austrian history throughout the last 200 years. Many of the tombstones are very ornate and interesting.

A beautiful peaceful place.

kris-t's Profile Photo
Jun 09, 2012

Zentralfriedhof - Tombes des compositeurs.

This long tip was written in French and separately in English at a time where VT limited the number of characters.

Rien de tel par une belle journée ensoleillée que de visiter cet immense cimetière d'accès facile par le tram 71 du terminus de la place Schwarzenberg.
Les tombes des compositeurs "Musiker" sont faciles à trouver, à gauche dans la grande allée centrale qui mène à l'église Karl Lueger.
Lorsque j'arrivai à la tombe de Schubert, mon musicien préféré, il y avait là un petit groupe de touristes Asiatiques fort bruyants et pour ajouter encore au bruit une tondeuse à gazon qui faisait le tour des parterres.
Les circonstances idéales pour un dialogue outre-tombe avec Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms ou Mozart n'étant donc pas réunies je fis un tour vers les tombes "bourgeoises", manifestement plus monumentales que celles des musiciens, pour y lire quelques épitaphes en attendant que les touristes et la tondeuse à gazon s'éloignent des musiciens. Je découvris ainsi une fort belle tombe d'un monsieur qui était coiffeur à Vienne.
Ce devait être un illustre coiffeur à succès étant donné l'allure grandiose de sa tombe.
Je me suis dit qu'il valait mieux financièrement être coiffeur à Vienne que musicien. Mozart ne me contredira pas.
Le calme étant revenu autour des "Musiker" je pus rendre hommage à ces créateurs de beauté en caressant discrètement le coin de leur tombe comme d'autres amoureux de musique avant moi.

Apr 09, 2011
globetrott's Profile Photo

"My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
longsanborn's Profile Photo

balhannah's Profile Photo

croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"

The main cemetery

A lot of graves of famous persons- I saw graves of musicians and painters! I didn't find the writers...
To see the graves of Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Strauss and others, you have to walk straightforward in direction to the Church; you'll see a signboard "musiker". The graves are on your left side. On the right side I saw the graves of famous painters like Amerling, Hans Makart, and others.

Nikolay_Ivanov's Profile Photo
Feb 01, 2008

Beethoven, Mozart, Bruckner, but above all Strauss

When you want to get in touch with Vienna's rich musical past, you can of course go to the Opera or Burgtheater or one of many other concerts that are organised throughout town for the many tourists. This past however is also kept alive by many statues that one can find on central squares or the beautiful parks that are surrounding the old city centre. A whole collection of the largest composers that lived and worked in Vienna, can be found in the city park. Here you also can find the famous little golden statue of Strauss, playing his famous Walzes.

Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
Nov 20, 2007

Central Cemetery: Composers' Graves

Zentralfriedhof or Central Cemetery is huge. Many notable Austrians are buried here and words cannot express how massive the place is. Among those buried here are the composers Gluck, Beethoven, Lanner, Strauss I, Strauss II, Schubert, Brahms, Wolf and Schonberg. They are all buried in thier own section just off the main avenue. There is also a memorial to Mozart on the site.

To get here, take tram number 71 from Schwarzenbergplatz and get off at the second Zentralfriedhof stop.

monkeytrousers's Profile Photo
Jul 20, 2007

A cemetery with more Dead than Living Vienese

I walked about Vienna's Zentralfreidhoff in search of Schubert and Beethoven's final resting places. I had no map and it took me 2 hours walking through the cold Vienna snow. But I was relieved when I found it.

Prior to finding Beethoven and Schubert, I took this picture. It captured my peace and solitude as I was only one of a small number who dared to walk about the cold Vienna winter snows to find a grave.

mydreamquest's Profile Photo
Mar 07, 2006

Things To Do Near Zentralfriedhof - Central Cemetary

Heeresgeschichtliches Museum Wien -Museum of Military History

Construction of Vienna Arsenal started after the Revolution of 1848 in 1849 by new young Emperor Franz Joseph I. Two teams of architects were designing the project; one comprised Eduard Van Der Null...

Belvedere Palace & Gardens

History of Belvedere Palace complex and Upper Belvedere started when Prince Eugene of Savoy the most talented Austrian General for all history of that country bought the land here in 1697. It was the...

Vienna Sightseeing Tours

To get an overview of the many, many historic buildings in Vienna we had booked a city tour. Again with Vienna Sightseeing Tours, even though I didn't have the best impression of them, (see my tourist...

Haus Wittgenstein

this unique building is constructed by ludwig wittgenstein, the famous viennese philosopher. it is much more interesting than the cheesy hundertwasserhouse and only some meters away from it. so if you...
Things to do

It is a landmark monument a little walk from the Belvedere palace. Situated on the Schwarzenbergplatz close to the Hochstrahlbrunnen fountain it was built in 1945 by the Soviet army to commemorate the...

Wiener Konzerthaus

We were lucky enough to obtain tickets for a performance of Mahler's 3rd Symphony by the Weiner Symphonica Orchestra. Unfortunately we only saw the first 3 movements as we had mistaken the dates for...

Getting to Zentralfriedhof - Central Cemetary

Simmeringer Hauptstraße 234, 1110 Wien

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!