Map &

From EUR13.00
1 Hour Antwerp Citytourbus
From EUR13.00

Chocolates Tips (25)

Swiet & Seksie: "All You Eat Is Love!"

I suppose only in Belgium can you find a sex shop combined with a chocolatiere! The shop's speciality is edible erotic accessories which come (sorry) in male and female varieties. There's also edible clothing and all sorts of interesting things - makes for a unique window-shopping experience ;-)

Website has mail order option!

What to pay Edible pussies (kutjes not kitties) come four to a pack - 2 milk, 1 white and 1 dark @ 6.50 Euros!

johngayton's Profile Photo
May 29, 2013

Chocolaterie Burie: A sweet tooth' s heaven

A well known fact about Belgium is its chocolates. In this respect a spot which is certainely not to be missed by tourists visiting our city is "Chocolaterie Burie", a renowned establishment in Antwerp. This chocolate shop is known not only for the outstanding quality of its products, but also for its artfully decorated shop window. Burie has a reputation of following up on recent events or holidays in the concept of their window. Even those travellers that are not attacted to chocolate will no doubt be able to appreciate the window.

What to buy An item that can be found here represents the city's reputation, both as world diamond center and as chocolate producer. This item are chocolate diamonds, available in both large and small quantities.

What to pay Prices are vary variable depending on the products and the quantities.

Sinjoor's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

The Burie: No visit to Antwerp without a taste of chocolats!

One of the many things Belgium is famous for are its fresh hand made chocolats.
Being very tasty, seducive and addicting... there is more about it then just "chocolat"!

This statement needs no more proof then a view through the shop window of the Burie chocolat store.

Many designs in chocolats are at display but those are the ones of today...
This chocolatier has golden fingers! A look at their website will show you some of the previous designs they had made, fabulous!
I don't think I would be able to eat some of those... they are so beautiful I would leave them untouched!
Do visit the website!

What to buy They have so many things for sale, from the ordinary (although that is an understatement) chocolats, to the more extraordinary creations.
What about asparagus in chocolats? or a birdhouse even!
The Bourla theatre in chocolat or some Sheik's palace?
aaah maybe that last one would be too big...

What to pay The chocolats are not cheap but they are from very good quality and worth the price.
They also make arrangements of guided tours, combined with a taster and a little surpise afterwards. More info about that is found on their homepage.
You can order online at their website!

irisbe's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Chocolates: Leonidas

We were told to buy our chokkies from Leonidas as they make the best belgium chocolates. I cannot yet say whether that is true or not as I am still busy eating my cherry liquor chokkies that I bought.

What to pay Anything from 1 euro upwards.

mvtouring's Profile Photo
Jul 06, 2009
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Antwerp

APPELMANSSTRAAT 31,B-2018 ANTWERP, B-2018 Antwerp,
25-27 Lange Herentalsestraat, Antwerp, Antwerpen, 2018, Belgium
De Keyserlei 28-30, Antwerp, Antwerpen, B-2018, Belgium
De Keyserlei 66-70, Antwerp, Antwerpen, 2018, Belgium
Korte Herentalsestraat 5-13, (formerly Tulip Inn), Antwerp, Antwerpen, 2018, Belgium
De Keyserlei 59, Antwerp, Antwerpen, 2018, Belgium

Pralines Elisa: Antwerp giant hand Chocolates

At Pralines Elisa they make little replica's of the hand that the statue is throwing. These little hand are filled with marzipan and some or other liquer. They come in a lovely little box with a pamphlet about the story of the giant's hand.

What to pay Small box of hands cost 7 euro
Little packets with mixed chockies are approx 1.50 euro

mvtouring's Profile Photo
Jul 05, 2009

Chocolates: Pralinekes!

Anywhere in Belgium you find chocolate. I will give you a small overview of the most famous ones, but there are of course, innummerable ones. The main chocolate shops are:

--> LEONIDAS: the "cheapest" in comparison to Godiva and Neuhaus, but nice pralinés.
--> NEUHAUS: more expensive and exclusive. visit
--> GODIVA: I guess together with Neuhaus the most famous abroad.

You get these 3 at most of the cities in Belgium.
It is a pity that they all changed their windows to the "exclusive" style. Formerly you would find all those nice windows with the season's chocolates like Halloween, Christmas etc. but nowadays you only find nice window decorations in places like BURIE, which got famous for it's special creations. Check out details about this shop here

And then of course, there is MARCOLINI
Marcolini is on a never-ending quest for new flavours. So let yourself be seduced by his creations ...

Last but not least, I would like to mention the classic that you can buy in any supermarket and which I LOVE: Côte d'or - my absolute favourite: Bouchée (approx. EUR 2,50 the package) and Mignonette (also approx. EUR 2,50 the package), so very affordable and good! Check out the recipes on the webpage!

What to buy --> LEONIDAS: the praliné Manon Café is my favourite, also the red marsepein.
--> NEUHAUS: the Manon Noir, Manon Choco Vanille, Fabiola and Dollar are sooo yummie!!!
--> GODIVA: the mouth-watering pralinés and ganaches ...

In general there are also Chocolates in form of the "Antwerpse handjes - the hands of the Brabo tale" (see explanation at my Antwerp intro). The chocolate diamonds (Antwerp, the city of diamonds!).

What to pay for example a 250 gr selection from Leonidas costed EUR 4.35 on the 20th of OCT 07. The same weight with Neuhaus praline selection costed EUR 11,- Luckily I am the kind of girl with a "cheap taste" as I love Leonidas which I actually find much better! Go and try out yourself.

flyfreak's Profile Photo
Oct 31, 2007

Chocolates: Burie and Del Ray

Burie and Del Ray were two of the chocolate shops that Lonely Planet recommended as the best in Antwerp and, of course, I sampled a few pieces from each. I found as I was tasting chocolates throughout Belgium that my tastes ran towards the less expensive simpler chocolates like Leonidas or Peter de Groot in Ieper and these two places were higher end very fancy chocolate .

What to buy Chocolates of course!

What to pay I saved the receipt from Burie and the chocolates there were 52E/kg which if I'm doing all my conversions correctly is around $29.50/lb. so this is chocolate to be savored!

Dabs's Profile Photo
Jan 25, 2007

Chocolates: Galler Chocolat-the

The shop itself had odd hours (well, odd for me as an American anyway!). We ended up going in the second day we were in Antwerpen. They have truffles galore as well as bars of chocolates (photoed). We also took a nice break to write postcards (I'm a postcard writing addict) to enjoy liquid chocolate. If you like hot chocolate, this stuff is delicious!

The truffles melt in your mouth.

What to pay One bar is/was four pieces for 1.20 Euros

Dec 05, 2006
belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

"Drink the Elixir!"
irisbe's Profile Photo

"Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera"
benidormone's Profile Photo

"The biggest city of Flanders"
Norali's Profile Photo

"Pampered in Antwerp and a Bangelijke meeting :)"
Helga67's Profile Photo

"'t Stad: My Antwerp"

Leonidas: Chocolates for the masses

Belgium is well know for its chocolates and Leonidas is one of the better know brands. Imagine an entire store dedicated to chocolate. And it’s not the only chocolate store in Antwerp. This particular store in insidiously situated on the street connecting the Central train station to the main shopping street. Get into the spirit of Belgium and have some chocolate. You owe it to yourself.

penumbra's Profile Photo
Nov 25, 2006

Burie Chocolatier: Burie Chocolatier

If I should name one thing Belgium is famous for; it would be choclates. And as a chocoholic, I can tell you this store makes the best ones in the world. So if you want to take a nice gift for your family or friends (or just for yourself) back home this is the place to shop. THe choclate daimonds are fun, they'll make a great gift. Just only looking in the window makes you wanna enter this store and taste the delicious choclates. The man who makes them (Hans Burie) is a real artist. He can do anything with choclate and marzipan. He makes statues in al kinds of forms depending on the time of year or the actuality (new baby giraffe born in the local zoo, celebration of Rubens,Christmas,...)
And the good thing is if you can't wait anymore to taste it after reading this tip ; they have an online shop too. The website is in English.

What to buy Do I need to say; CHOCLATES !!!!! off course.

What to pay I can't really remember how much I paid last times. But when I go there again I'll note it down. It certainly wasn't to much for this delicious stuff.

yashiko's Profile Photo
Mar 16, 2006

Godiva Chocolatier: Belgian Chocolates

What to buy Belgium is also known all over the world for its fine chocolate made from high quality ingredients and using high-flavor cocoa beans.
One of the most remarkable names is Godiva Chocolatier, established more than seventy-five years ago in Brussels, and named in honour of the legend of Lady Godiva.
Godiva Chocolatier is one of the creators of the world's most elegant, hand-crafted chocolates and was the first to create the concept of premium chocolate.

What to pay Small and elegant shops selling Godiva chocolate can be found in the most important cities, and, although, it might seem a bit expensive, it will surely be one of the most representative and good quality souvenirs from Belgium.

Diana75's Profile Photo
Jan 05, 2006

BURIE!: Antwerps best known 'chocolatier'

Before I put this tip up I have checked ,
checked if they would still have enough for me
if I 'advertise' this shop. 'Burie is by far the best
know chocolatier in town. Please , if you want
to read about them have a look at the website
added below. Burie is know for his outrageous
window shop creations. A few I will remember for
a long time are for instance a big royal palace
for the wedding of prince Laurent , a real life
size ostrich to celebrate Easter , a giant
snowman in white chocolate...

So even if you don't like chocolate ,
go and have
a look at the shop.

What to buy
They sell a lot of 'pralines' and most of them they
have them in milk chocolate and dark chocolate
creation. They are filled with nuts , cream , liquor ,
and anything delicious they can imagine...

Watch out , you can't keep every chocolate fresh
for ages. Ask for advice in the shop.

My favorite item they got is the 'choco'...
I like it so much I sometimes eat it without
smearing it on bread. ;-)

belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
Jun 07, 2005

Things To Do in Antwerp

Royal Flemish Opera - Koninklijke Vlaamse Opera

The two largest cities in Flanders, Antwerp and Ghent, had two separate opera companies until 1981, when the two companies were merged to form the Flemish Opera. Now this joint opera company presents...
Things to do

I know we visited the zoo in Antwerp. It was near the railway station which had some bomb damage. The zoo is one of the oldest in the world, established on 21 July 1843. After the war (and after our...
Things to do

Located in the Jewish neighbourhood and often referred to as City Park,Stadspark is a 14 hectare park in the centre of the city.It has the shape of a triangle whose base to the south and the top to...

Bourla Theater & Lounge

The Bourla Theatre is worth visiting whether you are going to a performance or not. The building looks great from the outside and inside. This theatre is from the 19th century and has 900 seats....

Museum Mayer Van den Bergh

This small but attractive museum is named after the Antwerp art collector Fritz Mayer van den Bergh (1858-1901) and features many of the works of art that he collected in the late nineteenth...

Cathedral of Our Lady

Considered the largest Gothic Cathedral in the lowlands, as it has been rebuilt over the 100's of years there are elements of renaissance, rococco and baroque in the architecture, as well as...

Getting to Antwerp

We don't yet have an address for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!