Clock Tower, Sarajevo
This Clock Tower, built in the 17th century, is the most interesting one that was built during the Ottoman rule. During the Austro-Hungarian period, a new clock replaced the old one.
There are many Clock towers throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina. They are used to mark the five daily prayer time.
Address: old Town
The 30 metres tall Clock Tower (Sahat Kula) was probably erected in the early 17th century.
In the early years it was reconstructed twice and after the Austro-Hungarian era it was even extended.
The current clock was made in 1873 in London. It shows the time by the Islamic lunar calendar, which means noon is defined at the moment of sunset in Sarajevo.
Sarajevo's Clock Tower is located just next to the west side of the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque. It is one of the tallest structures in the historic old town (Bascarsija).
Sarajevo sahat-kula was one of the tallest and prettiest in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was errected in XVII century and after a fire in 1697. it was renewed just as in 1762. After Habsburg occupation upper zones of the tower were build.
Sarajevo's tower-clock was one of the highest but also the most beautiful in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was built in the XVII century, . After the Austro-Hungarian occupation upper zones of the building were added,
In Sarajevo there is a clock tower dating from the mid of 17th Century. Traders from London brought the clock to Sarajevo. The tourist information explains it was built during the otoman empire because the muslims need know the time to pray five times a day but im not sure about it.
Having to pray five times a day meant that good Muslims needed to know the time. Throughout the Ottoman empire, towers with public clocks were constructed for this purpose, and Sarajevo`s beautiful tower originally dates from the mid-17th century, with a clock brought here by traders from London. The tower can not be visited, but it is admired best from the courtyard of the Aeroplan restaurant.
From early Ottoman times the Clock Tower was built by Gagi Husrev-Beb. It is in the old town next to the Mosque.It is a slim tower nearly 30 metres high.
In the Otoman Impery It was common to build the cloock towers mostly next to the mosques. This one is no exception. It dates from about 1600.