H. Hussein Mosque was built in 1751. It was closed and looked a bit neglected but still looked very nice. The artwork above the door is beautiful. It’s on the way to the fortress, not far from the historical museum.
- Historical Travel
- Religious Travel
The impressive sandstone and limestone rock formations were formed 200 millions years ago thanks to erosion a located near the town of Belogradchik. They reach up to 200m in high and occupy and an area which is 30km long and 3km wide.
Some of the rocks have its own names - Adam and Eve, The two brothers, Revel Velko, The Schoolgirl, Madonna, The Monks, The Mushrooms, The Elephants, etc. And there are legends about some of them.
Here is for example the legend of Madonna, The Monks and The Horseman - once upon a time there is a monastery near Belogradchik. There was a very beautiful nun Valentina. Once a year the locals were permitted to visit the monastery. On that day a local roman patrician named Antonio met Valentina and both felt in love. Valentina get pregnant and the monks wanted to panished her but God made all of them in stones.
See also my travelogues for more pics.
Address: near Belogradchik and near villages
- Adventure Travel
Initially built in 1-3 century AD at the time of Roman Empire. Then in 14th century was extended by Bulgarian Tzar of Vidin Ivan Stratsimir. Captured by Ottomans in 1396 and then farther extended. The most considerable changes to the fortress were made in the early 19th century with involvement of French and Italian engineers. Used at the time of Bulgarian Belogradchik Uprising of 1850 and then during the Serbo-Bulgarian War in 1885.
From the fortress there is a spectacular view. See my travelogues for more pictures.
Entrance Fee: 3lv
Working time: summer:9-18, winter:9-17, but were assured that it remains open while there are visitors.
Directions: above the city of Belogradchik
- Castles and Palaces
- Historical Travel
- Adventure Travel
The town of Belogradchik is dominated by the old fortress, situated on the top of a hill of red coloured rocks that resemble enormous human figures staring at the horizone.
The complex is very well kept and the landscape is unique and specially beautiful in spring.
- Hiking and Walking
The Belogradchik Natural Science Museum occupies small territory, but its visitors can enjoy the most attractive and biological variety from the whole Northwest Bulgaria. You can obtain an idea about the relationships in nature, because the exhibits are classified in ecological order. There are interesting lectures about the wild life, consistent with the age and interest of the visitors. There are also photo - screens that show incredible views from the Belogradchik rocks. In the Belogradchik Natural Science Museum functions a stationer of the BAS (Bulgarian Academy of Science) ornithological center. This center explores the bird’s life.
The visitors of the Museum are students, diplomats and scientists. Here they can find a lot of photo – documents, data of different studies, and rich specialized library.
The exposition of Belogradchik Natural Science Museum disposes of 520 exponents and the funds – of 2500. the museum is open at irrigular times. Admission 3, 50 lv.
The Historical museum is arranged in the Renaissance house of the family Panovi (1810) which is an excellent example of the Bulgarian Revival architecture from that region. The exhibition presents the history, traditions and the way of life of the local people. The main collection of the museum contains more than 6000 artifacts. A substantial part of the exhibition is dedicated to the Uprising against the Turkish enslavers in 1850, which was one of the largest on Bulgarian lands. The museum has a rich numismatic collection related to domestic crafts, costumes and exhibits of the way of living. The Museum has a Nature department located in a hunting hut, which was adjusted to suit the exhibition requirements. The exhibition displays rare specimens of the local flora and fauna – wood-grouse capercalzies, eagles, black stork, blue gentian, buttercup, Ramonda Serbita and etc. Opening hours: 8.00 – 12.00 a.m. and 2.00 – 6.00 p.m. Admission: 3, 50 lv.
Address: Adress: 1850 Leto squaire
Phone: tel 3469
The observatory was built in 1961 by a group of astronomy enthusiasts led by Hristo Kostov who was a teacher in physics at the Belogradchik high school. It became the first school observatory in Bulgaria. The biggest telescope at this time was a 15-cm Zeiss telescope. From 1964 to 1974 the observatory was used as a satellite observation base.
In 1965 a new telescope was ordered by the former director Alexander Tomov at the Zeiss factory – 60 cm. Cassegrain and in August 1969 it was mounted in the 6m dome. Since 1976 Astronomical Observatory Belogradchik has been an observation base of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. In 1994 the observatory was equipped with one more telescope Celestron – 14 inch Schmidt – Cassegrain mounted in the 4m dome
Phone: tel: (+359) 936 3372
The Belogradchik fortress, also known as the citadel, is an impressive fortress that is visible from most places in the village. The fotress is open daily from 8am-11.30pm and 1.30-5pm.
From the mainsquare in town, the fortress is a steepish 1.5 km, you can find it by following the signs. The admission is 5 lv. However, its easy to miss the little office because its not next to the entrance, but at the beginning of the small parking place. Since there is no ticket control at the gate, you might find your self having entered the site without paying as I did by accident. Before long you'll reach the entrance of the citadel three levels of fortifications representing different periods of occupation. The lowest two levels are Ottoman: solid, utilitarian blocks of stone enlivened here and there by the occasional floral-patterned relief. A steep climb between two enormous pillars of rock leads to the highest and oldest level, occupied by the medieval Bulgarian stronghold. The rocks themselves provided the perfect fortified enclosure, and apart from the tumbledown wall of a medieval reservoir there's little man-made to see. Enjoy instead the marvellous panorama of surrounding hills; the views from the top of the fortress are outstanding.
This region is studded with lots of underground and ground karst forms - caves, vertical slopes, etc. More than 100 caves have been discovered and completely or partially explored in the Belogradchik region so far. Most of them are rich in beautiful secondary formations - stalactites, stalagmites, stalagtones, cave pearls, "cave milk". The precipices are a challenge for the devoted admirers. The water caves are of a special interest. Great parts of them are not quite studied.
Bulgaria's most spectacular rock formations, the Belogradchiski skali, cover an area of 90 square kilometres to the west. The limestone rocks greatly impressed French traveller Adolph Blanqui in 1841, who described them as an "undreamt landscape" The Rocks of Belogradchik are formed of versicoloured Triassic sandstones and conglomerates. In this area one can find also the fortress of Belogradchik built by the Ottoman conquerors on the remains of the Roman fortress. The rocks, a real miracle of nature, have been shaped by rains, molded by rivers and engraved by winds for more than 200 millions of years, turning the stone into sculptures, mythical beings and people, beasts and birds. The natural phenomenon has fantastic outlines - a sea of frozen castles, fortresses, towers, silhouettes of people, birds and animals, ships, mushrooms, obelisks, palaces, racing chariots and scattered skyscrapers rising at a height of 200 m. The central group of the rocks are situated south of Belogradchik. There are the most remarkable and most famous rock formations, namely the stone sculptures that are respectively called the Pine Stone, Adam and Eve, the Sphinx, the Schoolgirl, the Nun, the Bear, the Mushrooms, Madonna, the Horse man and etc. The second group is located to the west of the town. The rocks there are sheer and surrounded by great chasms. The most famous there are Zbegovete, Erkiupria, Borich. 4 km east of the town is the third group. It includes the rocks around the Latin fortress and the Lipenishkata cave. The fourth group of the Belogradchik rock formations spreads between the villages of Borovitsa and Falkovets. There are the famous Pine stone, Red stone, Torlak, the Maiden’s rock and others. The last group is located around the villages of Giurgich, and Belotnitsi. From the town of Belogradchik start many eco tracks that pass by the Belogradchik rocks. Most of them are very suitable for bike riding. .
A widespread complex of red weird-formed rocks - natural pieces of art. The most beautiful rocks are south and east of the town, very near.
The rocks are of buntsandstein type, mainly red.