Favorite thing This palace was built after the great fire of Castle in 1541, later it was extended and rebuilt in peak Renaissance style and peak Baroque style. The reconstruction was done in 1753-56 so that it could serve the purposes of the Institute of Gentlewomen.
The Institute of Gentlewomen was an educational institution for female members of aristocratic families aged 24 and above.
Fondest memory After 1919 the Institute of Gentlewomen was closed down and the building was used by the Ministry of Interior Affairs, at present time it is used by the Presidential Office and Prague Castle Administration.
Jiøská Street 3/2, Prague Castle
Favorite thing The Gothic bronze statue of St.George killing a dragon stands East of Plecnik’s granite monolith.
It is an unique example of metal casting in 14th century. The statue was cast in 1373.
Fondest memory The original statue is stored in the collections of the National Gallery, the actual statue is a copy from 1967.
Prague Castle, Third Courtyard
Favorite thing This bronze statue of the 1st Czechoslovak president T.G. Masaryk was installed opposite the main gateway of the Prague Castle in 2000 on the occasion of 150th anniversary of birth of this statesman. Another statue from 1937 served as a model.
Below his standing figure there are letters TGM and dates of his birth and death engraved.
Fondest memory Tired tourists often use the staircase that enables access to the pedestal and the statue itself as recreational and refreshments area.
Hradcanske Square, Hradcany
Favorite thing Lobkowicz Palacehad been constructed in Renaissance style from mid-16th century for the masters of Pernstejn in place of older aristcratic residences.
Fondest memory It been rebuilt in Baroque style between 1651 and 1668 for Czech governor Vaclav Eusebius of Lobkowicz.
Exhibitions and concerts take place there occasionally.
At present time the palace belongs to the Lobkowicz family again.
3/1 Jiøská Street, Prague Castle
Favorite thing This early Baroque gateway was built during the reign of Matthias I in 1614.
Before 1763-71 it used to be free standing and was conceived as an arch of triumph and then it became incorporated into the buildings of the court d'honneur .
Fondest memory Left from the gate starts a column hall with Rothmayer Hall leading to the big halls of the North wing.
Favorite thing In the center of the Second Castle Courtyard you will see a large, richly decorated Baroque fountain, made in 1686. Sometimes it's called the Lion's Fountain because of the lion statues on the pillar, sometimes it's called Leopold's after the emperor Leopold I under whose reign it was built.
Fondest memory The fountain is supplied with water from an ancient water pipe. It brings water from the Brusnice stream and from the pond below the Hvezda summer palace.
Favorite thing Daliborka Tower used to be an artillery bastion. It has cylindrical shape and is the part of late Gothic fortifications. It was built in 1496 and originally had an extra floor.
The walls are up to 2.5 metres thick. Inside the tower there is a 7 metres deep dungeon used until the end of the 18th century for the most serious criminals.
Fondest memory Daliborka Tower is connected to the New White Tower through a defence passage way above the Stag Moat, it is also connected to the Black Tower by the Old Castle Steps through fortification wall passages.
The Daliborka tower can be accessed from the lower end of the Golden Lane through a staircase in house no. 1/12.
Golden Lane by Daliborka Tower, Prague Castle
Favorite thing Powder Tower - Mihulka was built in the late 15th century as a part of the new bulwarks designed by Benedikt Ried. This tower has been successively called the New Tower, the Round Bastion, the Laboratory or the Swedish Laboratory, and the Powder Tower.
Fondest memory The Powder Tower was the largest of the cannon towers. Later a gunpowder storehouse existed here.
Favorite thing A tower - 30 m high, comes from the 12 th century, pert of the castle fortification.
The gate inside the tower originally served as an eastern entrance to the Prague Castle.
During the reign of Charles IV the tower roof was plated in gold and was called the Golden Tower but after the fire in 1541 it was renamed to Black Tower.
Fondest memory It is 30 metres high, the walls are up to 3 metres thick at the bottom and around 2 metres on the top below the roof.
There was a prison for debtors inside the tower.
Favorite thing Chapel of the Holy Rood situated on the south side of the Second Castle Courtyard. It was build in 1758-63 as part of Theresian building renovations of the Castle, serving as the court shrine.
Fondest memory Since 1961 the chapel serves as the church treasury where the treasure from St. Vitus Cathedral is stored.
Prague Castle, Second Courtyard
Favorite thing Having a look around Prague Castle takes quite a bit of time. If you are hungry, yet don't want to pay for a Restaurant meal, we found plenty of snack places scattered around the area. Most of them have tables and chairs, so we stopped at one and bought a coffee, sat down at one of the tables in the shade, and rested our legs. They sold Water, Coke and other drinks, EVEN BEER! Sandwiches and other types of snack food are available.
Favorite thing You will see this well with a Baroque grille dated of the end of the 17th century or perhaps the beginning of the 18th century in Prague Castle, on the Second Courtyard.
Fondest memory It's one of the total of 20 wells (approximately) in the Castle area. This well is 14 meters deep, water column is 4 meters high. It has been used as a water source until 1905.