Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Tallinn City Private Tour
"See and learn about the history of the baroque style Kadriorg Palace and Park which Peter the Great of Russia presented to his wife. Next we continue our way to Tallinn Song Festival Grounds a very important place for the people of Estonia where the Estonia Song Festival is held every 5 years. The Festival Grounds are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Following this we will drive along the seaside and enjoy a picturesque view to the Gulf of Finland. We will stop at Pirita Convent (St. the Upper Town and the Lower Town. During our walk we will first discover the Upper Town which was a stronghold of the former Tallinn nobility. We will also see two cathedrals the Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the Lutheran St. Mary’s Cathedral. Lastly we will view Estonian Parliament building inside Toompea Castle and enjoy a panorama of the Tallinn from the viewing platforms.After seeing Upper Town
From EUR160.00

Tallinn City Walking Tour
"Meet your guide at your preferred departure point and time and head out into the Latin quarter to discover the history of medieval Tallinn. See the Dominican monastery Pikk Street and quaint homes of merchant and craftsmen guilds.Next you'll see the churches of the Holy Ghost St Nicolas and St. Olaf
From EUR45.00

2 Hour Tallinn Old Town Walking Tour
"On this tour you will discover the colourful tales of Tallinn its history and its people as the walking tour takes you through Tallinn's old town covering all the iconic places. On the tour we cover :St. Nicholas Church Town Hall Square Freedom Square Danish King's Garden Parliament Building Alexander Nevsky Cathedral Dome Churc"""Explore Tallinn on a two hour Walking Tour around the old town and get some fascinating insights into Tallinn's rich history and present life. You will be accompanied by our friendly and professional guides. Keeping the dry facts and figures at a comfort they love getting down to the things that really matter. The best part is that they like to have fun while doing so."
From $112.00

Panoramas Tips (5)

A Tallinn sunset

Fondest memory On my last evening in Tallinn I decided I would like to get some more night photos, so I took my camera with me when I went to meet up with the rest of the group for dinner, and when the party broke up a little before 11.00 PM announced my intention of climbing Toompea for some final shots. But in planning for night photography I had forgotten just how long the days last here in summer, especially on a sunny day such as we had just (finally) enjoyed. Although the streets of the old town seemed quite dusky by now, as I climbed Piik jalg I realised that the sun was only now just setting. There were few people about and I did wonder for a moment whether it was a great idea to be out here alone that late, but my London street-smarts instincts indicated that it was, and I was drawn on by the sound of voices coming from the Kohtuotsa almost directly above me.

Once on Toompea I headed in that direction and emerged to find several small groups and couples all enjoying the lovely colours in the sky. I took some photos and then decided to head on round the hill to Patkuli, where I had not yet been. Here I found fewer people – just one young couple and a handful of other keen photographers. I also found the most beautiful sky and a graceful sliver of moon to ornament my shots. A beautiful place to end my sightseeing in Tallinn, and a highly recommended little outing if you find yourself with such a clear evening in the city.

My first photo here was taken from Kohtuotsa; photo two was taken on Pikk jalg on my way up, looking back at the gateway and St Olaf’s Church; photos three and four were taken from Patkuli (as was the main photo on my intro page); and the final photo was taken from my hotel bathroom on my return, at about midnight!

Next tip: the so-called Kissing Hill

toonsarah's Profile Photo
toonsarah
Jun 23, 2014

How to Depict Tallinn in Brief?

Favorite thing We spotted this sign at the airport next to the baggage roundabouts. It is actually an advertisement for a nearby shopping centre but the description of Tallinn and its surroundings is rather funny...

Photos 2-4 have some enlargements of the big picture so you can read and see details better.

Some famous buildings - Olai church (or is it the cathedral?), the town hall, the northern gate with Fat Margaret tower - represent the old town, plus a dog house;-) Viru skyscraper and some modern blocks stand for new Tallinn. The surrounding landscape is entitled as "eimidagi" (nothing) and is inhabited by mooses and fir trees. The road and rail to the east lead to Russia, those to the west lead "nowhere". Then there is the lake, the airport, and the brewery.

This is all you need to learn about Tallinn before heading for the shopping centre... according to the merchants there.

Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
Kathrin_E
Sep 26, 2009

City panoramas

Favorite thing Tallinn is quite panoramic place. I will write down all these places, where could be see good panoramas:

1) St. Olav's church (Oleviste church). You have to pay some money to go up by stairs and see panorama from tallest church in Tallinn. I think the most beautiful view is to Toompea castle. From this place I think the best panorama of all old town could be seen and a view to the sea with all these big ships.
2) Radisson SAS hotel. When coming to this tall building in Tallinn centre better to say how to get to the bar at top floor. The lift takes you up and from this place you can see old town at one side and new town at other sides with all these new skyscraper buildings.
3) Toompea castle hill. There is a view to lower part of old town. In some places of Toompea hill panorama is quite interesting, as view of old town buildings is mixed with modern skyscrapers.
4.) A view from the sea to old town and port. When standing near Russalka monument some spires of old town buildings could be seen and the sea.

Raimix's Profile Photo
Raimix
Aug 21, 2007

Old Tallinn

Favorite thing This lovely 18th century painting in the art gallery out at Kadriog shows clearly the spire of St Olaf's Church and the city skyline looking very much as it does today with the Old Town nestled at the base of Toompea and many other steeples and spires reconizable. Then the church's spire may well have been still the tallest building in the western world - its spire was originally 159m high, though reconstruction in 1820 saw it reduced to 124m. Whatever its height, it certainly served as a major landmark for shipping in this corner of the Baltic.
In those days the city was right by the sea, and some of the walls were in fact very close to the water - the tower known as Fat Margaret was the Sea Gate to the city. Year by year the land is rising slowly however, and now the old city is some distance from the water.

TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo