Map &

Day Trip to the Coastal Cliffs and Soviet Paldiski from Tallinn
From $55.00
2 Hour Tallinn Old Town Walking Tour
From $112.00

Kuldse Notsu Kõrts Tips (7)

Kuldse Notsu Kõrts: Quaint restaurant

Favorite Dish Sausage platter for two 23 euros. This came with fresh baked bread with smoked pork inside it - very nice. Nice range of local sausages with very decent sauerkraut and potaoes. This was adequate for two and very tasty. We despatched the red currant sauce and mustard but did not make use of the ketchup. Beer was 3.60 euros (4 in the square and 2.8 a few streets further back). Lovely wooden furnture and decor. We sat by a log fire. Staff in local costume. They were incredibly polite and helpful and delighted when we tried out a little Estonian. I'd go again to try a different dish.

Oct 30, 2011

Kulse Notsu Korts: Meals with an added extra

I have read numerous good reviews of this restaurant ( which made me want to try it ). this review is not one of those

I ordered what was described on the menu as " thick pea soup " - what I got was something that resembled a type of watery broth with barley, carrotts , onion and yes peas ( but of the chick variety ). To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement.
Being in a restaurant that served typical Estonian food I decided to try something different for my main meal and opted for the wild boar with mushroom sauce. disappointment again - it arrived in what can only be described as a thick mushroom stew.
If only my pea soup was that thick
For the curious amongst you I cannot tell you what wild boar tastes like because its taste was completely masked by the mushroom sauce.
The waitress service - can be summed up by what follows :-
My brother in law also ordered the boar' but his came with an added extra in the form of the bullet that killed it. Take it from me this was no small pellet, it was at least the size of a marble, which he nearly swallowed. Naturally he pointed this out to a very dimissive waitress whose only comment was " It's a wild animal what do you expect " .
On asking to speak to the manager she said that he did not work on a Friday night and that was that".
We then asked if we could speak to the chef and this was also refused. All we wanted was a simple sorry it should not have happened and that would have been the end of the matter.
From that moment on she never came near our table other than to give us the bill.

Favorite Dish See above

Sep 01, 2011

Kuldse Notsu Korts: Typical Estonian cuisine

The name of this Estonian restaurant is translated into English as the 'Golden Piglet Inn'. This is quite apt given the amount of pork on the menu and the cute piggy planters that adorn the windows (see photo). The food here is a good introduction to Estonian cuisine- very simple, fresh ingredients with little seasoning. Some may find it bland, some may find it a little heavy, but as I consider it a necessity to at least try some local food when visiting new places, this restaurant fit the bill very well. After eating here, I cannot say that I am a huge fan of Estonian food but the polite staff and pleasant location made this meal a memorable one.

Favorite Dish I ordered pork chops with new potatoes and sauerkraut. While waiting for the main course, I was brought some bread with bacon bits in it which was quite tasty. The meal itself was hearty and filling. Simple food cooked well.

slothtraveller's Profile Photo
Jul 03, 2011

Kuldse Notsu Korts: The Golden Pig

An Estonian country inn in the centre of Tallin, this restaurant is apparently very popular with local diners. It certainly was when we were there. This not cheap, but reasonably priced restaurant, has a menu with lots of choices. I had chicken coated in dark bread crumbs, potatoes and cabbage salad; my wife had roast pork with potatoes and sauekraut. The waitresses wore traditional Estonian dress - and so did the waiters, except for the waistcoats which were Royal Stewart tartan! One waiter explained that this was the closest they could find to the traditional pattern he showed me from an old book.

Favorite Dish Everything looked delicious.

Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Rataskaevu 16, Tallinn, 10123, Estonia
Kullassepa 9/11, Tallinn, 10146, Estonia
Kinga Street 1, Tallinn, EE0010, Estonia

Kuldse Notsu Kõrts: If You Don't Like Pork There's Not Much Choice

The name in English is the Golden Piglet Inn. Vegetarians beware! You might even find pork in the bread unless you are very careful. The cooks even put bacon in the bread!

The staff have traditional costumes and around the restaurant there are baskets of artifical / dried fruit and flowers and old artefacts to give an air of Estonian country life.

Favorite Dish For starters I had the hot pork on black bread with pickles and sauces - a cranberry one and one with a hint of garlic. The pork was cooked to perfection.

For main course I was tempted by the vegetarian offering of a mushroom and potato stew. As a meat eater I was quite content to opt for such a tasty meatless option. The initial menu might put off vegetarians but I would recommend a trip there for this dish alone.

Desserts were too tempting even though I had eaten a cake just a few hours earlier. The meringue that I had was light and fluffy which took the edge off the berries it came served with.

We washed everything down with an incredibly cheap bootle of Ukrainian champagne. Usually I wouldn't have picked this to drink, but I knew that it would appeal to my friend's tastebuds.

cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
Aug 20, 2006

Kuldse Notsu Korts: Estonian Dining in the Old Town

Asking the receptionist at my hotel where to go for authentic Estonian food, she recommended this restaurant as the best choice. We had a bit of trouble navigating through the old town at night trying to find the restaurant. It didn't help that the police had the road blocked off for visiting PM Blair. With a police escort, we finally arrived!! The restaurant had a county-Scandinavian feel to it and our waitress was very friendly. The menu was available in many laguages, including English, and had a great varitey of dishes to choose from (see web page for full menu & prices). We were able to purchase a couple of the "A Le Coq" beer glasses as souveneirs for 60 EEK each. I will most likely return to this restaurant should I find myslef in Tallinn again!

Favorite Dish Started with the Beetroot Soup and Piirissaare Onions Baked in Beer Dough. The soup came in a generously-sized bowl and tastes like your typical red borshe. The onions came with a creamy green onion dipping sauce. The portion was enough for 2-3 people to share.
For dinner, I ordered the Grilled-Beef Sirloin w/ potatoes. This was a thin slice of sirloin draped over potato wedges and covered in a dark sauce - I would guess beef base with rosemary flavor. The beef was well-done, but still tender. The sauce was quite flavorful. I fifnished with the apple bomb, which was a cored & peeled apple filled with nuts and covered in a sweet sauce.

Dec 03, 2005

Kuldse Notsu Kõrts: Estonian 'Countryside' Cusine

Favorite Dish I chose the 'Red Fish with Mash potatoes & boiled carrotts'. My friend chose 'Sauna cooked chicken drumsticks'.

flyingkiwi's Profile Photo
Jun 20, 2005
toonsarah's Profile Photo

"A medieval marvel"
antistar's Profile Photo

"Shades of Grey"
BillNJ's Profile Photo

"Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
Raimix's Profile Photo

"Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

"In the bleak midwinter ..."

Things To Do Near Kuldse Notsu Kõrts

Town Hall

The Town Hall is located on the square of the same name. It is the only Gothic town hall in Northern Europe. The first mention we have of this town hall dating from 1322 The present building was built...

Great Guild Hall

The great Guild Hall does not resemble that big from outside, but it was once the second-largest building built for non-religious purposes in Tallinn. Built between 1407 and 1417, it was used as the...
Things to Do

The second of Toompea’s cathedral buildings is the Lutheran one dedicated to St Mary but more usually referred to as Toomkirik, the Dome cathedral. This is the oldest church in Tallinn and indeed in...

Russian orthodox cathedral - Aleksander Nevsky cathedral

The Alexander Nevski Cathedral one of Tallinn's dominating landmarks. This Russian Orthodox cathedral with its impressive onion domes was built in the late 19th century. Access inside was restricted...

Estonian History Museum

LOWER TOWN - ALL-LINN Located in the center of Tallinn on Pikk 17, is the Gothic GREAT GUILD HALL - ESTONIAN HISTORY MUSEUM. Erected 1407 - 1410, the Great Guild Hall - Suurgild - was a guild for...

Museum of Occupation

The Museum of Occupation is a wonderful tomb like building, fronted by a giant monolithic granite door that opens automatically when you approach it. Inside you'll find a small but interesting...

Getting to Kuldse Notsu Kõrts