Map &

From EUR85.00
Paris Evening Bike Tour and 1-hour Seine River Cruise
From EUR39.00

Champs-Elysées Tips (32)

Favorite thing The Champs-Élysées is one of Paris best-known avenues.

It's 1910 meters long and runs from the Obelix to the Arc de Triomphe.

In 1616 Marie de Medici decided to extend of the Tuileries Gardens to the West with an avenue. It took till 1864 till the Avenue des Champs-Élysées growed to about its present length.

The street runs in between the the Grand Palais and the Élysée Palace.

Many high class stores like Adidas, Benetton, the Disney Store, Nike, Zara, Cartier, Bel Air Fashion, Toyota, Gap, Sephora, Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, Lancel, Guerlain, Lacoste, H&M and Abercrombie & Fitch are located along the avenue and so are many cinema's.

Also the avenue is used as the finish location for de Tour de France cycling race and the anual parade on Bastille Day.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Oct 23, 2011

Mimi and her puppy at Fouquets

Favorite thing
♫♫ Rich relations give
Crust of bread and such ...
You can help yourself
But don't take too much

Mama may have
and Papa may have...
but God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own ♫♫

Songwriter: A. Herzog Jr / Billie Holiday

Fondest memory Champs Elysees 09/'03
for romantics only

One night in '03 I was nursing a typically overpriced 7-Euro espresso on a sidewalk terrace outside Fouquet's when along came a lady:
barefoot / back bent; shuffling slowly through the passersby with a hand outstretched, silently begging for change.

What struck me was that the little dog following her on the leash moved with identical hangdog, slow body language. (see photo)

Fouquet's has tight security, but as long as she didn't bother
their customers, they allowed her to beg people walking by for money.
I took a few photos of her, which she allowed me to do, but her expression and posture changed, saying essentially,

"Nothing is free, tourist."

At first I only gave her a small amount.
She inspected the coin, stared at me, and again without a word, only with gesture, let me know it was not enough.
I went over to her and after giving her a larger amount, she agreed to talk with me.

Her name is Mimi, and her dog's name is Schuider (sounds like shwee-dare).

I asked if I could pet her sad little dog: Mimi gave me reserved permission.
As I knelt down to pet him, Schuider came alive:
his posture changed to friendly enthusiasm: tail wagging, jumping up on me with kisses galore.

Then with a look, Mimi quickly let me know recess was over: Schuider instantly sagged back into his previous sad & fearful posture.

Later after she had moved on, I asked one of the Fouquet's security men about her.
He said she is there every evening, rain or shine.
I asked if she was authentique, or just a hustler.

He told me she makes just enough money from begging to provide food and a small flat for her and her dog.

I shook my head, saying that is not what I meant.

Bluntly I asked him: " is Mimi for real, or is she just a pain in the ass?"
He thought for a moment, then smiled and said it all in one brief sentence:

"This is her job ."

davequ's Profile Photo
Dec 18, 2008

Beautiful Paris

Favorite thing My favorite thing about Paris was the beauty and history. We took a bus tour around the city and were reminded about the wars that raged in this beautiful country and how it has survived. We were told that the general in Paris was told to destroy the Louvre; fortunately, he did not. The Louvre is an unbelievable piece of architecture and history. The eiffel tower is more beautiful than I ever imagined. It had just rained, and the tower was in stark contrast to the dark clouds. Incredible!!

Fondest memory The Louvre. The people. The history. The architecture. The colors. Everything about Paris was incredibly beautiful, even the old "delapitated" buildings. I only spent three days there, and would definitely go back and spend more time.

momdawg's Profile Photo
Aug 12, 2007

Lido Paris is not a safe place!

Favorite thing We were at Lido on new year`s eve 2007.The show was great, but the night was wasted because our camera with all the pictures of honeymoon was stolen while we were dancing.
It is not the value of the camera but the value of the pictures that was so important for us.
The personnel staff was not helpful,they were only interested to get rid of our complaints.The lido of Paris is not a safe place.Keep your money with you and don`t leave items on your tables.

Theme: Other
Dress Code: And they have their own "taxi system" ! To make 1 km 25 euros per person ! We asked for taxi and they sent us to their own system,this is not fair.We are completeley unsatisfied with Lido personnel and managers for their incompetence and their extremely low customer satisfaction.

Jan 03, 2007

10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Avenue des Champs Elysees

Fondest memory Oh! Champs Elysees, I felt I was dreaming. I still remember my high school French teacher reading the book and taking us lessons about "Places in Paris" --I always thought "Will I ever see it"? Well, I did. What can I say about Champs Elysees...There's Fashion, Beauty, Different Cultures, Trendy Shops, Cafes, Restaurants, Parks, Memorials, Monuments, Fonts, The Arc du Triomphe, that's all you can see while walking along that wooded long street...And that means a lot, doesn't it?

lolitajane's Profile Photo
Aug 19, 2006

The Champs Elysees...

Favorite thing The beautiful Champs Elysees Avenue (with the Arc de Triomphe far ahead).... taken from the middle of it! :-) Hey, you gotta admit I risked my life for you to have this great pic! LOL

Fondest memory I loved to walk from Place de la Concorde all the way to the Arc de Triomphe along the Champs Elysees... it's quiet, the sidewalk is really wide so there's plenty of space to walk peacefully, the views are really nice, and you start finding shops as you approach the Arc and the busier area of the avenue. It's a long walk, mind you, but I really enjoyed it and then I got to make some great pics and do some shopping when I finally arrived to where the action is ;)

Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
Jun 14, 2006 mention food?

Favorite thing I love this fine city! Make sure you stop at the street side Panini / Crepe stand! The Panini are deeeelious *they should make these beautiful yummy grilled sandwiches more available in the states. The Crepes are absolutely wonderful! Strawberries, bananas with Nutella chocolate is the ONE!

Fondest memory Time seems to stand're drinking in the moment. People watching, kids laughing, lovers holding hands.....

severin821's Profile Photo
Nov 05, 2005

Dress code

Favorite thing You'll see that most Parisian women are usually very dressed up by American standards (bracelets, necklaces, scarfs, miniskirts and other accessories) whether they're just going to work or our for a stroll.
You may want to dress up more in Paris than in other places, but its certaintly not a requirement. I personally dont see a need for it (I mean, if women should have to get all dressed up, so should men right?) I say tat even though running shoes will (apparently) give it away that you're a tourist, theres no harm in that because you'll blend in with the thousands of other tourists.

Arial_27's Profile Photo
Jun 06, 2005
Nemorino's Profile Photo

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

pfsmalo's Profile Photo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Les Champs-Elysées

Favorite thing "Aux Champs-Elysées, aux Champs-Elysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie, à midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez aux Champs-Elysées" (Joe Dassin)

"In Champs-Elysées, in Champs-Elysées
Under the sun, in the rain, at midday or at midnight
There is all that you want in Champs-Elysées"

Lilasel's Profile Photo
Jan 02, 2005

What happens in Champs-Elysees

Favorite thing From May 17 2003 through June 15 2003, the Champs Elysees was transformed into a rail exhibit honoring 150 years of train travel in France.
The history of French rail on the one side of the avenue and the future of train travel on the other side. (Trains ranging from 1829 steam locomotive to the 2005 "Tram Train Avanto")

Lilasel's Profile Photo
Nov 06, 2004

Wander up the Champs Elysee...

Favorite thing Wander up the Champs Elysee, and if you want a really great view, go to the top of the Arc du Triomphe - the queue is much shorter than the one for the Eiffel Tower, and the views are excellent.

You'll find quite a few shops on the street, including a Virgin Megastore and a Disney shop, and several restaurants there as well. There's also a pretty unusual Mercedes car dealer - in the space of a large shop unit - where they seem happy enough to let the passing public (for example me) in for a quick look at their expensive cars.

jrs1234's Profile Photo
Sep 20, 2004

Fondest memory My fondest memory from my first trip is of the night that we arrived at our hostel (HI hostel Cites de Sciences) and met up with a Canadian girl and two American guys and we all went to listen to one of the guys play bongos in the park (the Cites de Sciences as we later found out) with a bunch of locals. Oh and running out of a department store to get away from some creepy guy from Martinique who wanted to be our 'Paris boyfriends' :)

hevbell's Profile Photo
Nov 07, 2003

Things To Do in Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

Comedie Francaise

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!