Map &

Skip-the-Line Louvre Ticket and Montmartre Art Walking Tour Double Feature
From EUR45.00

Walking Tips (24)

Walking Around: Quais of the Seine and Paris's Monuments

This nightlife tip costs nothing. But it's worth alot in memories. Paris is not known as the 'City of Light' for nothing. At night the bridges and monuments along the Seine are lit up and it's just indescribable the beauty of the whole scene.

During the day the same bridges and monuments are beautiful but at night they undertake a different mood with the lights and the reflections in the water. From any bridge gaze over to the direction of the Eiffel Tower. Its beauty is so prominent wen it's lit up. Walking along the river and stop to gaze at them all. I guarantee you that they will mesmerize you and capture your heart forever.

CALSF's Profile Photo
Nov 06, 2004

Corcoran's Traditional Irish Pub: Irish Pub Where Kerouac Lived!

One night I decided to walk the tip of the Ile de la Cite. As I was walking along the right bank quai taking photos of the Conciergerie (gorgeous at night), a gentleman asked me in French if I might take a photo of him. It turned out he was an Irishman in Paris for his last night. We ended up talking about Paris, Shakespeare & Co., James Joyce, Sylvia Beach (who’d published Ulysses in Paris), Dublin (where he’d attended university) and the Irish folk-punk band, The Pogues, one of my favorites. I asked him if he might be up for a visit to Sylvia’s original Shakespeare & Co. on rue de l'Odeon. He agreed but we first we had to stop for a pint o' Guinness at an Irish bar on rue St-Andre-des-Arts, Corcoran's.

It’s always nice meeting new friends in Paris and Seamus (can you get more of an Irish name than Seamus?) was a true gentleman and a great conversationalist. He made me promise that when Mr. Connolly and I visited Ireland that we’d come to visit his family because his father is a genealogy enthusiast and would love to help us with our Connolly roots.

While we were walking out on our way to find the site of the original Shakespeare & Co. I mentioned that Jack Kerouac lived nearby but I didn't have my notes with me. Little did I realize it was in the same building!

Later, I was looking for Jack Kerouac’s home in Paris (well, I’m not called the Beatchick for nothing) when I happened upon Corcoran, the Irish pub Seamus & I had a pint o' Guinness, the entrance to which was just around the corner! Awesome!! But also more amazing is that this bar was once called La Gentilhommiere where Jack enjoyed several nights drinking here as mentioned in Satori in Paris.

At Corcoran's they play traditional Irish music and during happy hour drinks are 5€ (see website below for complete list).

Photos: February 2006

Dress Code Ultra casual, jeans & such. This is basically a student bar in the Latin Quarter.

BeatChick's Profile Photo
Dec 02, 2007

Walking Around: Night Strolls on the Seine

Night walks along the Seine, whether across the bridges or along the banks, are a must. It's the perfect way to spend a relaxing evening (though you might want to take the Metro to Ile de la Cite if you've spent the day at the Louvre and your feet are aching).

Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo
Dec 04, 2003

Walking Around: Pyramid

Some time people need to have some walk in the night to had some relax to them and see the beauty of the nature or there city and i walk around paris in midnight and feel the silence of it,s crowded street and i reach to Pyramids area it,s good to see it in the night .and to see the beauty of lights .

Dress Code ordinary clothe but have some time to relax

fouads's Profile Photo

5 rue Saint Hyacinthe, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin): Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin)

My friend and I explored the Latin Quarter during our last trip to Paris. We really loved all the little shops and many places to eat. Yes, a lot of the things for sale are touristy, so we didn't buy anything. The neighborhood was kind of cool and worth exploring. It was also nice to find some cheaper places to eat and we ended up in a little Greek seafood place. The restaurant was lively and the food was good. By 10pm, there was a female dancer prancing around sexily and the male crowds were happily clapping along with the lively greek music.

The Latin Quarter is known for its lively atmosphere and many restaurants and bistros. The Latin Quarter is an area on the left bank (south side) of the Seine, around the Sorbonne University. The name derives from the Latin language, which was widely spoken in the Middle Ages in and around the University. It has been the center of Paris's university life for over seven hundred years. It currently still houses various higher education establishments.

longsanborn's Profile Photo
Jan 29, 2007

Walking Around: International Music day

Since we chose to take the kids with us,,many night life activities were dropped off our plans.....but on the International Music day wich is held on the 21st of June,there were many activities held,we walked around the Saint Michel,the Place De Bastille and the Rivoli and many preformers were all over.

Dress Code All what was needed is a good walking shoes! and plenty of coins to tip the preformers.

DunaKal's Profile Photo
Jul 02, 2003

Walking Around: Any corner bistro

Paris is so unique, maybe because of the sensory overload that occurs. We wandered from our hotel onto the metro and jumped off in the Montemarte district. All of the bistros have their menus displayed, but really, you can't go wrong. Just plop down at a table, order a modest red vino, and the conversation will flow.

Dress Code Parisians dress well! It's not necessary to dress up with a coat and tie at most establishments, but it is part of the culture to "look good".

hoofhearted's Profile Photo
Aug 09, 2005

Rue de la Gaite: Paris' "Twilight Zone" .. a strange experience

I sometimes have a tendency to get myself into weird situations.

One night on my first trip to Paris, well past midnight after "more than a few" drinks I was wandering alone from a Montparnasse cafe back to my hotel, when I accidentally took a wrong turn.

I ended up on this very bizarre street in the Montparnasse theater district: Rue de la Gaite.
It is populated with theaters, bistros, and a few strange little clubs/cabarets that are adult-oriented.

Suddenly out of the dark & from nowhere a thin, well-dressed Parisian man appeared and stepped in stride with me, speaking softly in french. Then without a word he gently pulled me by the arm into one of the clubs. In one of those spooky moments of surrender, without resistance or protest I let him guide me inside to a table.
- I'm not even sure the club he pulled me into was on Gaite
... it could have been one of the quieter "swing" joints on nearby Edgar Quinet

Looking around I noticed that other than myself, the place was virtually empty. A glass of red wine appeared on my table a few seconds later.

Women of all nationalities, 1-at-a-time, (some actually somewhat attractive) emerged from behind a curtain on a stage, sat down at my table & asked me if I wanted to sleep with them. (price was not mentioned)
Welcome to a misogynist hell of "Pimps Up... Hoes Down" - dans le modèle de Paris.

Saying "No" did not offend any of them, they would just smile, get up & leave, only to be immediately replaced by someone else.

This strange little comedy continued for 10 minutes:

- Girl # 7: "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi monsieur?" ...
or some equivalent ... hey ... I was hammered and a little preoccupied - I don't remember ...

- me.. "Non, merci madame."

- Girl # 7 "Merci monsieur...Au revoir"

next girl (#8)... rinse&repeat....

Eventually I finished my wine (there was no bill brought to the table... odd for a hustle-joint like this), got my bearings for the door, rose, stepped out of the club to the dark and empty Rue de la Gaite, and casually strolled back to my hotel.
The whole experience was both strange and funny, almost like a dream or a scene out of a late-nite "b" movie.

Dress Code Hide your wallet.

davequ's Profile Photo
Mar 27, 2008
Nemorino's Profile Photo

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

pfsmalo's Profile Photo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Walking Around: Paris at Night

A must for every trip to Paris, is a stroll after dark. We were here in early June and it didn't get dark until almost 10pm. A good start is at the Eiffel Tower. At 10pm, for about 10 minutes, the whole tower twinkles with thousands of lights. It's magical! It seems to be the popular thing to have a picnic on the Champs du Mars while waiting for dark.
We learned that Paris is one of the safest cities to be out in at night, and it seems to be true. We did not feel the least bit vunerable, everyone was out having fun and enjoying the nightlife. We saw buskers outside the Notre Dame, it was awesome! Everything is lit and it's easy to see why Paris is the City of Lights.

CandiceHalee's Profile Photo
Dec 19, 2007

Walking Around: Ooooo sexy, danger.

After having read concerns regarding this area at night I was secretly titillated to have this intersection appear so rapidly on my first evening stroll departing from my hotel in the 9th.

It really is a lively, tangled area of Paris and I wandered it often, alone... more often slightly under the influence of wine and/or sheer happiness.

Yes, there was interaction with local er "gentlemen".....
Were they saying rude and lascivious things to me in French?!

Mon Dieu.....
I sure hope so!

Dress Code Chic, comfortable and with a scarf.

lohki's Profile Photo
Feb 12, 2006

Walking in the Latin Quarter

In the Latin Quarter it is hopping very late at night. There are many delicious ethnic restaurants, especially Mediterranean/Greek. We picked a Greek restaurant that had live music, and dancing. At the end of the meal the plates were broken. Of course they were only paper mache. We had so much fun and the food was very good. We ate large prawns that had been grilled on an open flame.YUUUM!

Dress Code The dress was casual

Pattons's Profile Photo
Feb 19, 2006

Walking Around: Affordable Classical Music Concerts

“Yesterday’s concert was a success. I hasten to let you know, I informed your Lordship that I was not a bit nervous and played as I play when I am alone. It went well... and I had to come back and bow four times.”
— Frédéric Chopin (1810-49)

Église Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre (Church of Saint Julian the Poor) is a Melkite Greek Catholic parish church, and one of Paris’s oldest. Built in the Gothic style during the 12th century, it was originally a Roman Catholic church but it was granted to the Eastern Catholic Melkite community in 1889.

The church’s dedication to the Mediaeval French saint, Julian of Le Mans recognizes his championship of the cause of the poor; his work is seen as exemplary.

St-Julien has had a connection with the arts since the 16th century when it served as the site for the School of Theology and Arts of the University of Paris. On 14.April.1921, the garden of Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre was a venue for one of the last major art experiments of the Dada Movement.

Today, in addition to serving the spiritual needs of Melkite Catholics, it is a venue for classical music performances. In January 2000 we attended a Chopin piano recital here. It was lovely. The church is small, creating an intimate setting for music. The soaring Gothic architecture fills with sound, lifting you up, up and away.

The programs sell out quickly, if interested get yourself to the church, not on time, but early to buy tickets.

Dress Code Casual, but nice.

von.otter's Profile Photo
Feb 02, 2009

Things To Do Near Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

La Comédie Française

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

We don't yet have an address for this Nightlife. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Nightlife. Help us improve our info!