Cafe Marly, Paris

Cafe Marly - Louvre ceiling

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Café Marly: People Watching while Dining at the Louvre

by BeatChick Updated Jun 5, 2011

Another affordable luxury and in the same vicinity of Angélina is Café Marly located in the Louvre.

What you'll love is the great people watching afforded from its balconies! In front of us was the grand view of the Pyramide du Louvre (main entrance to the museum). We also enjoyed views of The Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Carrousel du Louvre all in one lovely shot. See what I mean about people watching?

We dined on breakfast à la Café Marly which consisted of coffee, "toast" (toasted baguette), butter, confiture (jam & honey), and fresh-squeezed oj. Mmmm... Don't tell anyone, but we took some of the sealed confiture with us to Dublin. AND (horror of horrors) we DIDN'T declare them (as food prods nor as liquids).

Make sure you arrive early as Café Marly was COMPLETELY out of croissants when we arrived.

Café Marly is open daily from 8am-2am. If you'd like to see menus, please visit my travelogue pages:

Favorite Dish: This place is known more for the views and the see-and-be-seen scene than for its overpriced food. But if I must pick a favorite, it'd be the fresh-squeezed orange juice. Which can you can get practically anywhere in Paris.

Photos: April 2010

Address: 93 rue Rivoli 75001

Directions: Located on the north side of the Louvre Museum inside the Richelieu wing via the Passage Richelieu (just in front of the Pyramide du Louvre).

Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre

Phone: +33 1 49 26 06 60

Website: http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/details_aide_services.jsp?bmLocale=en

Cafe Marly Cafe Marly Breakfast Cafe Marly Breakfast Cafe Marly - Louvre ceiling Cafe Marly - View of Pyramide du Louvre
    • Luxury Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Cafe Marly: Don't Let Them Know You're American!

by lizzymenilmontant Written Sep 18, 2008

There are waiters at Cafe Marly who are more than willing to take absolute advantage of their american customers. When the bill came after a very nice meal, our waiter asked, "Would Monsieur like to add a tip?" Most americans don't realize that the tip is ALWAYS AND COMPLETELY included in the price of the bill. The Cafe Marly waiters take advantage of that cultural difference and, as in our case, insist that the tip "is not included." Our waiter told us, "That number by the subtotal is a tax that goes to pay for Sarkozy's social programs." Our waiter then added $50 on our $110 dinner and said, "Would Monsieur like to pay this?" My husband, who wasn't as keyed into the scam was about to say "OK" when I did some quick math and said "NO WAY". He then added a slightly smaller number to the bill - the whole while explaining how the waiters depended on tips 'to survive' - and said, "Would Monsieur like to pay this?" Again, I yelled NO WAY. Finally after more arguing, haggling over the bill and Sarkozy's social programs, my husband gave up. We ended up spending an extra 15 Euros ($25) on the 'tip.' It is a sick, sad, insulting scam that these waiters are pulling. Please be aware! I will not recommend Marly simply for this reason. They allow disgusting unethical behaviour to go on in their establishment.

• tintingerri's Profile Photo

Café Marly: Bad service and Bad Food

by tintingerri Updated Jul 1, 2007

We were here after our long trip in Louvre. The service was so bad that they denied us to take the free seats with a view instead they placed us next to some smoking snob French. I ordered a club sandwich and asked if they can eliminate eggs on it but the waiter said its not possible because its already prepared which gave me the hint that the food they served was not fresh. The pasta my husband ordered was overcooked. No need to say, that everything was highly overpriced... I was disappointed with their service and the food. If you still want to go there, but not feel like eating bad and expensive food, sit down at one of the tables in front of the café on the square (they only serve drinks there) - but also be prepared...

• tintingerri's Profile Photo

Café Marly: Bad Service and Bad food

by tintingerri Updated Jul 1, 2007

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Café Marly: TRES BRANCHÉ, VERY HIP

by ForestqueenNYC Updated May 25, 2007

Cafe Marly is known to be one of the hippest and most trendy restaurants in Paris. It is very pretty and it is perfectly placed in the courtyard of the former home of Catherine di Medici which is now the Louvre. You may find yourself sitting among celebs, but for sure you will be among very chic and well dressed people. This would be the time to leave your trainers at home and put on your Manolo's unless you are going there after the museum tour and are sitting outside. The food is good, but nothing was memorable for me. If you get an invitation to go there, however, don't turn it down. That is how I ended up there.

Address: 93 rue Rivoli 75001, Cour Napoléon