Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Paris City Tour by Minivan and Montmartre
"During your minivan tour of central Paris you'll gain insights into the history of Paris and its famous monuments and sites as you listen to the accompanying commentary. Your air-conditioned minivan tour of Paris takes in major landmarks including La Madeleine Opera Vendome Square Concorde Champs-Elysees Arc de Triomphe
From EUR75.00

Paris Romance Walking Tour of Montmartre
"One stroll around central Paris and you’ll understand why this is a city for lovers. On park benches in doorways along cobblestone streets on board the metro in the shadows of the trees in grand public gardens – lovers don't hold back from demonstrating their affection for each other.Your romance-themed walking tour takes place in Paris’ Montmartre district in the afternoon. During this unique tour you’ll dive into Paris’ history and culture of love and romance. Following your guide – a connoisseur of Parisian romance – wander through the heart of Montmartre in search for the spirit of romance. You’ll visit the most charming and secret addr letting you discover why Montmartre is the perfect spot for tender words of affection and declarations of love. Stop outside the Moulin de la Galette (Galette Windmill)
From EUR65.00

Private Tour: Skip-the-Line Musée d'Orsay & Montmartre Impressionist Walking Tour
"Meet at the base of Montmartre for your private walking tour of this beloved Paris neighborhood. Your guide will reveal Montmartre through the lives and works of Renoir Monet Van Gogh and Cézanne — a handful of the art rebels who lived on the edge of Paris on the charming hill of Montmartre and who all paved the way for the Impressionist art movement in Europe in the 19th century.Strolling through Montmartre’s romantic streets you’ll get a first-hand look at the places that inspired the Impressionist painters. See where Van Gogh and Picasso lived and worked visit the windmill that Renoir featured in his scandalous piece Bal du moulin de la Galette and walk past the Moulin Rouge cabaret that inspired Toulouse-Lautrec’s distinctive artistic style. Your leisurely walk ends at the hill's highest poin iconic Basilique du Sacré Coeur
From EUR209.00

Butte de Montmartre Tips (210)

Walking in Montmartre (18th)

Starting from Amélie’s café in Rue Lepic, a group of VT members took a walk through Montmartre “up to the Sacré Coeur using backstreets that miss the general run of tourists”, as Paul (pfsmalo) had promised in his invitation.

So we had a leisurely walk through some picturesque streets such as rue Cauchois, rue Véron, rue Germain Pilon, rue des Abbesses, rue Ravignan, rue d’Orchampt, rue Giradon, rue Norvins, avenue Junot and rue des Saules, which gradually led us up to the top of the hill.

Second photo: A slightly embellished No Entry sign.

Third photo: A quiet walkway in Montmartre.

Fourth photo: One of the two remaining windmills on Montmartre.

Fifth photo: The shop called Zut!, which sells “industrial antiques” such as clocks, globes, lamps and old-time filmmaking equipment at 9 rue Ravignan.

Next review from September 2011: The I-love-you wall

Mar 20, 2016

The Hill

Montmartre is an area on a hill in the 18th arrondissement, north of downtown Paris,it is known for its many artists who have been there since 1880. The name Montmartre seems to be derived from either Mount of Martyrs or from Mount of Mars. Before 1873, when the Sacré-Coeur was built on top of the hill, Montmartre was a small village, inhabited by a mostly farming community.

xaver's Profile Photo
xaver
Oct 01, 2015

Montmartre district

Well worth a visit. First there is the Sacre Coeur, and the magnificent views over Paris (and even to the Eiffel Tower) from the steps in front of the Sacre Coeur, and the artistic district around Montmartre.

Kate-Me's Profile Photo
Kate-Me
Jun 01, 2015

Very, very cool !!!!!

I have been coming to Paris, twice if not more every year since 1999 ...

And for some reason ... sometimes rain and sometime even snow ... I had never had the chance to come to Montmartre or Sacrè-Coeur

This time we made it a mission to come no matter what .... and we are so happy we did. An easy walk from the metro thru the famous little streets that gave us the name "the City of Lights"

Once at the bottom of the hill you can use your metro pass to go up the funicular or you can walk the never ending steps to get to the top where Sacrè-Coeur stands.

Admission to the basilica is free and donations are accepted for the upkeep of this beautiful building. Only thing is no photo's allowed inside .. really bummer since it is beautiful inside.

We spent about 30 minutes inside the basilica and then another 2 hours walking around the neighborhood at the bottom of the hill.

jlanza29's Profile Photo

10 Place Charles Dullin, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75018, France
11, rue Ravignan, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75018, France
101, rue Caulaincourt, 18th Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75018, France

Le Bateau Lavoir (18th)

At this address there used to be a collection of flimsy, run-down buildings where dozens of famous or soon-to-be-famous artists lived and worked starting in the 1890s. Among the residents were Pablo Picasso, Max Jacob, Henri Matisse, Georges Braque and Maurice Utrillo.

The original buildings burned down in 1970 and have been replaced, but in the window at the front there is an interesting display about the artists who once lived and worked here.

Address: Place Émile-Goudeau, 13 Rue Ravignan, 75018 Paris
Directions: Vélib’ 18004
GPS 48°53'9.38" North; 2°20'15.62" East
Aerial view and photo of Le Bateau Lavoir on monumentum.fr

Next review from September 2011: Dalida

Nov 19, 2014

The I-love-you wall (18th)

In the Square Jehan Rictus at the Place des Abbesses there is a blue tiled wall with the words “I love you” written in more than 250 languages and dialects.

These were collected by a French musician and artist named Frederic Baron, who “began his project in 1992 by wandering the streets of Paris and asking people to write these words in their mother tongue. Baron feels he has toured the world without ever leaving Paris.”

At first I thought the German sentence was grammatically incorrect, but that turned out to be some other language entirely, and I found a correct German sentence in the bottom right corner.

Second photo: Above the blue-tiled “I love you” wall there is a painting (added later by someone else, I believe) of a woman in a long blue dress saying: aimer c’est du désordre… alors aimons! Which means “Loving is disorder… so let’s love.”

Third photo: Ed (Kaspian) pointing to the sentence in English.

Fourth photo: Ilse (MATIM) getting her camera ready to take a picture of the Dutch sentence: “ik hou van je”.

Fifth photo: VT group in the rain at Square Jehan Rictus. The square was named after an anarchist poet (1867-1933) who used the pseudonym Jehan-Rictus and belonged to the chaotic Bohemian poetic scene in Montmartre starting in the 1880s.

Next review from September 2011: Buskers at Abbesses

Nov 09, 2014

Cute place for art and dining

This is one of my favorite places in Paris. Going up by climbing those stairs is like being the lead in a French movie, it's a classic.
Once on top you arrive right in front of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart (Basilique du Sacré-Cœur). It's located at the summit of Le Butte Montmartre, which is the highest point in the city.
Keep walking and meet the cutest streets full of art and lovely restaurants.

Sienlu's Profile Photo
Sienlu
Nov 06, 2014

The Katmandhu of Paris

What could be a lovely experience is compromised by the scammers, tat sellers etc., and the general run-down and uncared for situation of Montmatre. There is a lovely sequence of steps leading down from the Sacre -Couer on the east side which was once superbly elegant (and the subject of some classic postcards), but it is now sprayed with Graffiti, litter and urine. The Basilica is impressive and so is the view, but the romantic-artistic 'feel' of the surrounding streets has long been swallowed up by the hordes of tourists. At one time this would have been an inspirational place, but now there are much more satisfying experiences to be had in other Parisian districts.

sjh100
Jul 03, 2014

Nemorino

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

BeatChick

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

shrimp56

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

The panorama.

We had expected a great panorama on Paris from the stairs of the Sacré Coeur and we were disapointed.
What we first saw in the distance were the buildings of the "banlieue" suburbs of the south of Paris. Here and there we would distinguish a monument shrouded in the historical centre. My photo speaks up for herself I may think.
Furthermore the trees did limit the view to the west so that to see the Tour Eiffel we had to leave the parvis. I presume that for a really good view one has to climb to the dome of the basilica. A touristic success with 10 million visitors.

Actually visiting the Musée d'Orsay we had from the terrace at level 5 a good view on the Sacré Coeur and the Butte Montmartre while the reverse viewing Paris from the Sacré Coeur had been a deception!

breughel's Profile Photo
breughel
Feb 14, 2014

Shops near Amélie’s café on Rue Lepic

I took the first three photos from the same spot, on the corner in front of the Café des 2 Moulins on Rue Lepic.

All of these shops were open on Sunday morning, and there was lots of coming and going, with people from the neighborhood buying their baguettes and groceries for the day.

I’m not quite sure if the bakery is called Saint Preux or Saint Dreux – perhaps some local person can tell me?

Saint-Preux was a character in the novel Julie ou la Nouvelle Héloïse by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, published in 1761. For more on this novel, which was the absolutely best-selling novel of the entire 18th century, please see my tip/review on the Rousseau Museum and Garden in Montmorency.

There is also a French composer (born around 1950) who goes by the pseudonym of Saint-Preux. But there is also a French photographer, film-maker and author called Anne Saint Dreux, so both names definitely exist.

Update: Thanks to Paul (pfsmalo) for confirming that the bakery is called Saint Preux with a P. He looked it up in the yellow pages for me.

Second photo: The fruit and vegetable shop (greengrocer’s, I suppose the British would call it) across the street (opposite, to you) from Amélie’s café

Third photo: A cheese shop (under the scaffold), a honey shop and a butcher’s shop on Rue Lepic.

Fourth photo: Me with my Vélib' bike in front of these same shops. Thanks to Sonja (yumyum) for the photo.
Next review from September 2011: Walking in Montmartre

Oct 26, 2013

The man who could walk through walls

At Place Marcel Aymé, just off of rue Norvins, there is a statue by sculptor Jean Marais called Le passe-muraille, based on a short story by the French author Marcel Aymé (1902–1967), who lived here in Montmartre for many years.

In this story a quiet middle-aged office worker named Dutilleul suddenly discovers that he has “the unusual ability to pass through walls without inconvenience”. His doctor discovers the cause, un durcissement hélicoïdal de la paroi strangulaire du corps thyroïde (which I won’t attempt to translate), and prescribes "le surmenage intensif“ (intensive overwork) and some packets of medicine.

Since there is no way he can be overworked in his quiet office job, and since he neglects to take the medicine, he retains his unique ability and gradually finds some uses for it, first to frighten his new boss, then to rob banks and jewelry shops and finally to have an affair with a frustrated housewife who lives nearby.

By accident he takes some of the medicine, and his affair with the frustrated housewife provides him with some unaccustomed and very intensive exercise -- so he loses his ability just as he is in the middle of a wall, where he remains stuck for ever.

The statue shows him stuck in the wall. This is close to where Dutilleul lived in the story (75 bis de la rue d'Orchampt).

Second photo: VT member Maaike (VonDutch) holding hands with the statue of the man who could walk through walls.

Third photo: Signs at Place Marcel Aymé.

Fourth photo: Since I had never read the story Le passe-muraille I bought a copy the next morning at the fnac bookshop at the Gare de l’Est (East Station), thinking to read it on the train. But the story turned out to be quite short and easy, so I read it in the café before even getting on the train. Fortunately the book includes nine more of his stories that I read later.

If you would like to read this story in English, click here for a translation by Karen Reshkin.

Or, if you would prefer to read it in the original French, cliquez ici for the complete text.

Next review from September 2011: Sacré-Coeur

Mar 16, 2013

294 steps to the most beautiful view over Paris

When I've seen that almost 800 people were already writing their thoughts about this Church, I felt frustrated.
What else I shall say about it, when it was anyway mentioned by all the others.
Only our colleague “nemorino” has surprised me a bit with his comment “my nomination for the ugliest building in Paris” when he wrote about Sacre Coeur.
I don’t have to agree with him as we have a saying in Romania “it's not nice what's nice, it's nice what I like”…
Anyway, I shall first mention that I love Sacre Coeur, I love the view from its highest lantern, I love all the surrounding area, I love Paris as seen from Sacre Coeur, I love all those people gathered up-there for the same reason… to reach the heart of Paris.
I’ve counted 294 steps to the top lantern and the climbing was challenging but I’ll repeat that exercise every time I’ll go there.
Do the same and let your mind fly over the old penthouses, dream about the history (and the stories) of the surroundings, find down there the Place de Tertre and the Moulins de la Galette, look down at the tiny people flashing around their Japanese cameras…
That building is far to be ugly in my opinion and more that this, I consider it perfect.
I have at home two paintings with Sacre Coeur, one bought in Rome on the Spanish steps and the other one in Stavanger-Norway from a flea market…
Every painter is trying to get the real curves but is far from its perfection… I’ll end up probably with a small collection as that form is fascinating me…
Looking from Terte, the big church seems even bigger compared with the old Bistros and the narrow streets.
What I shall say more about Sacre Coeur without copying what the others were already saying?
It looks for me somehow as a Byzantine building but I cannot compare it with other Byzantine churches as it is somehow unique…

As a minus is the fact that it is not allowed taking photos inside of the church…
It is a public place and to take photos is not affecting the structure or the beautiful-huge mosaic…

adema29's Profile Photo
adema29
Nov 28, 2012

Things to Do Near Butte de Montmartre

Basilique du Sacre Coeur de Monmartre

Montmartre, the Mount of Martyrs, has always been a place of worship in Paris. There have been various and many chapels, churches and abbeys built here. In the late 19th century Permission was granted...

Le Musée de Montmartre

This is an excellent small museum which was the home of a number of French artists including Utrillo and Renoir. There are a number of posters, paintings and photographs depicting the history of...

Place du Tertre

I wasn't expecting the Tertre that I saw in winter! The esplanades, usually full of life with artists all around, were closed, and the few resistant painters were sheltered inside the restaurants....

Espace Dalí

Dali, another favorite artist of mine, and his museum was a must during one of my many visits to Paris. It always amazing how it doesn't matter the amount of times I have visited, there's always...

Pigalle District

Wearing the name of the sculptor Jean-Baptiste Pigalle and surrounded a century ago by artists' studios and cafes, Pigalle of today looks more like the "red light" district of Paris. Although the...

Musée de l'Erotisme

Musee le l’erotisme is a funny sex museum at (what a surprise) Pigalle district, not far from the numerous nightclubs of the area. We visited the museum one evening in 2005, that’s the good thing...

Getting to Butte de Montmartre

Address

Montmartre. 75018 Paris

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map