Espace Dali - Dali Exhibition, Paris

by Turska

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

I love Dali

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2015

Dali, another favorite artist of mine, and his museum was a must during one of my many visits to Paris. It always amazing how it doesn't matter the amount of times I have visited, there's always something new and exciting to see, do, experience or taste.

I've been to Paris over 8 times and every single time I visit I discover something new. During one of these trips I paid a visit to the Dali museum. I didn't even know there was a Dali Museum here in Paris until it was mentioned to me. Being a big fan of Dali I decided to pay the musuem a visit.

The musuem is quite small but the pieces on display are some of the most beautiful created by Dali. The musuem has many sculptures and some of his most famous paintings.

Plan to spend about 2-3 hours discovering this gem here in Montmartre.

NOTE: THERE IS NO PHOTOGRAPHY PERMITED

Address: 11 rue Poulbot, 75018

Phone: +33 1 42 64 40 10

Entrance to the museum

• Summer33's Profile Photo

The Dali Museum

by Summer33 Updated Mar 8, 2004

You must visit the dali museum if your in Paris. It was absolutely amazing and a must see. I was really getting into Salvador Dali for the first year or so prior to visiting the museum and have several books of his work, but the chance to see it all in life size form is unbeatable. Your not allowed to take pictures in the museum so unfortunaetly I don't have any to post but I did buy several post cards, and once I get around to scanning them I will be sure to update this.

Address: 12, Rue Cortot-75018 Paris

Directions: Near Place Du Tertre

Phone: 01 49 25 89 37

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Epsace Dali

by garridogal Updated Jun 21, 2009

If you're in Paris and looking for an off the beaten path museum full of interesting art, then go to the Espace Dali. Although it doesn't house any of his oil paintings, it has a good collection of works done in other mediums by this prolific artist.

If you're familiar with his work then you'll recognize his sculptures depicting some of his recurring themes such as women with drawers and melting clocks. Lithographs and watercolors from his New Testament and Don Quichotte series can also be found along with photographs, videos and part of a chapel.

I enjoyed this museum for the art in it as well as the respite from the masses.

And, if you've got money to burn, then check out the gallery where some of his original art work is for sale! Or if you're poor like me, then check them out and politely leave without inquiring about prices or knocking anything over...!

Address: 11, rue Poulbot

Directions: Take the Metro to Abbesses, then take the funicular or steps up to Sacre Coure. It's right in this area. 1 minute from Place du Tertre. (That's what the brochure says. I can't vouch for that; I got lost!)

Phone: 1 42 64 40 10

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Dali Museum

by cjg1 Updated Sep 22, 2006

This is by far my favorite thing to do in Paris. I have come to this museum each time I have been here. Although it is seemingly a bit expensive and small for what it is I am always thrilled. They have a very nice collection of Dali’s sculptures and paintings that never fails to move me. I always think while I’m there that Paris is the perfect place to show the controlled madness that his work inspires. When I have visited cameras have not been allowed inside. Yes it is true. The book with so many VTers addresses in it was purchased here.
    They are open year round from 10am to 6pm while the admission is up to 10 euros for adults with discounts available for children, under 26, teachers, students and seniors.

Address: 11, rue Poulbot, 75018 Paris

Directions: Metro: Anvers or Abbesses followed by the Funicular

Phone: 01 42 64 40 10

Website: http://www.daliparis.com/

• Nantosvelta's Profile Photo

The Salvador Dali museum

by Nantosvelta Written Nov 6, 2002

The Salvador Dali museum
    The collection exists of rare prints illustrating the major themes of international literature, mythology, history and religion. Also there is an impressive collection of Dali sculptures.
    According to the museum brochure the most important assembly in the world.

Directions: Espace Dali
    11, Rue Poulbot

Metro: Anvers
    Funicolare

• Marianna77's Profile Photo

Dali's art is impressive, but the museum is not.

by Marianna77 Updated Jan 10, 2005

Don't expect too much here. The Dali museum is quite small. If you're in Montmartre, it's a good idea to drop by, but otherwise I wouldn't make a huge effort just to go see that museum.
    The entrance fee is 8 Euro (as of January 8, 2005).
    Believe it or not, this museum which takes you less than an hour to see is more expensive than the Louvre, which takes you more than 3 days.

I'll put some pictures in a travelogue if you want to see what's inside. What I liked most in the museum was the sculptures of the soft watches.
    Oh, another interesting thing is that while you're there you hear a recording of Dali's voice, which may be a little scary at times :)

Dali

• Rhii's Profile Photo

Art Trip

by Rhii Written May 8, 2006

I've come to the conclusion that to go to this museum you really should have had to study Dali.
    I thought that his work was intensly subjective and needed way more explaining that what was said on the headphones or little display cards. I think he's amazing, but i felt annoyed that i didn't learn anything in this museum. If you're looking to learn something about Dali - buy a book to read before you go.

Address: 11 rue Poulbot, 7508

Directions: Montmartre, just down from Place de Tertre - there are big signs.

• akikonomu's Profile Photo

Must visit if you like Dali Art

by akikonomu Written Apr 19, 2012

Popped in because I was trying to avoid the rain, even though I remained quite neutral towards the art of Dali. But I thought the visit was thoroughly enjoyable and informative. The museum looks furtive from the exterior but the interior is really quite modern and well-kept. Good art pieces and amusing photographs with quotes from the wacky artist.

• debankh's Profile Photo

If you like modern art you...

by debankh Written Aug 24, 2002

If you like modern art you must see the Salvadore Dali museum and the Picasso museum. These are my two favorite art museums in Paris. They are definately less crowded than the Louvre which makes them more relaxing to visit. They also happen to be my two favorite artists, so I guess I should note that if you are not fond of modern art you should probably pass on these two. This pic is of the exit to the Salvador Dali Museum.

Directions: To get to the Salvadore Dali museum, take the metro to Abssesses stop. To get to the Picasso museum take the metro to Chemin Vert stop.

• Turska's Profile Photo

And again one more Dali museum

by Turska Written Oct 30, 2011

We have loved Dalis work for years and visited many his museums and exhibitions around Europe.
    He has some way too strange works, but the ones we like, we like a lot. This was quite good exhibition, had lots of different staff.
    There was some other Dali exhition at the squere of artists, and we were first thinking it was that. We got disapontment how small it was, and there was works of some other artists also. But then we realized we were in the wrong place! It was an exhition selling some Dalis work. With our budget, it was not a place for shopping ;)
    But if you like Dalis works, go to this museum.
    There´s also a shop selling things with his arts. We didn´t find anything to buy anyway.

Phone: +33 (0)1 42 64 40 10

Website: http://www.daliparis.com/english/

• Photography

• Kris06's Profile Photo

Musée Salvador Dali

by Kris06 Written Jan 8, 2006

This is a fun place to visit, especially if you are into art. There are scuptors and paintings by Dali, along with a little gift shop. All the Surrealist art is fun to visit with a group, so you can have someone to discuss these unusual works with. It's a great stop if you are visiting Sacré Coeur or Montmartre, but I dont' know if it's worth it to go out of your way if you are not intersted in Dali.

Directions: In Montmartre, near Sacré Coeur

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Crazy Art

by JohnniOmani Written May 7, 2006

I found a lot of people in Paris including tourist really kept to their area of expertise or interest. Many people went to the Louvre or Musee D'Orsay etc but I found the Dali Museum one of the highlights of this fascinating city. It was very interesting and with less tourists a lot more comfortable to view the art. Great fun.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Dali Museum in Montmarte

by dustmon Written May 30, 2010

We did not go inside, but this was just down from the Cathedral a ways, and the entrance was hilarious!

Address: 11, rue Poulbot 75018 Paris