Palais Bourbon is on the river gauche of the Sein in front of Pont de la Concorde.
The palace, wanted by Luisa Francesca, the daughetr of Luigi XIV, was built betwen 1722 and 1728.
Inside it is decorated mostly by Eugene Delacroix which was the most important romantic painter of the first half of IX century.
In the biblioteque there are some important documents such as the Code Borbonicus, some original handwrittens of Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the original documents of Giovanna D'Arco lawsuite.
Palais Bourbon, today home of the French Assemblée Nationale, was originally constructed from 1722 to 1728 for Louise Françoise de Bourbon, Duchess of Bourbon, the daughter of Louis XIV. During the French Revolution, the national government took over the palace and it became the meeting place for the Council of Five Hundred, the legislature during the revolutionary period. When Napoleon crowned himself emperor, he drove the council from their meeting place. After the Bourbon Restoration, the Chamber of Deputies rented space from the owner, Prince de Condé, until it was purchased by the country in 1827, and expanded as the permanent home of the French National Assembly.
We are now on our way to Stop 6. We pass by another impressive building, the Assemblee Nationale, also known as Palais Bourbon as it was built in the 18th century for the Duchess of Bourbon by an Italian Architect. The Duchess of Bourbon was the daughter of King Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan. The Bourbons, which the building is named after, were ousted by the republicans, the building was confiscated and declared national property.
Originally, it didn't have the colonnaded front, this was added when requested by Napoleon, who wanted the building to mirror the Madeleine temple at the other side of the Seine river.
At night it is lit in the colours of the French Flag.
You can visit if you make a reservation.
During periods when the Assembly seat:
Four tours are held every Saturday at 9:30, 10:30, 14h and 15h,.
Guided tours are in French by an official of the National Assembly, foreign visitors can get an audioguide in English, German or Spanish.
During periods when the Assembly is not sitting, periods called "suspension of work"
Four guided tours are offered daily, Monday to Saturday, 9:30, 10:30, 14h and 15h.
Information signs are installed along the route and guides (English, French, German, Spanish) are offered within the limit of available stock.
- Online by clicking here : http://wwl.assemblee-nationale.fr/visites/index.php
- Or by phone, Monday to Friday, 10am to 12pm at: +33 / (0) 1 40 63 56 00
The official seat of the National Assembly is the Palais Bourbon on the banks of the river Seine. This building is visible from the cruise boat. The building is is guarded by Republican Guards that is part of the French Gendarmerie. The Republican Guards are responsible in providing security in the Paris area aside from discharging their duty as the guards of honour.
The French parliament building, l'Assemblée Nationale, was built in the 18th century by the royal family, the Bourbons. The building was seized by the government after the French Revolution and turned into the parliament building. So it is somewhat of an irony that the name of the building, Palais Bourbon, refers to the royal family which was ousted by the revolution. The façade's Roman peristyle strategically faces place de la Concorde, with the matching façade of Eglise de la Madeleine at the other end.
For a city like Paris and a country like France, the National Assembly house seemed a bit too ordinary to me. I was disappointed not only at the unimpressive building but also at the traffic in front of it. Quite unusual for an important place like that. It is close to the place de la Concorde.
Built for the Duchess of Bourbon, daughter of the ultimate autocrat Louis XIV.
It is now home to the French Parliament. Guided visits are available but be prepared to present your passport or national identity card for entrance.
The Assemblee Nationale is the first chamber of the French Parliament (5th Republic) and has little power. The Senate meets in the Palais-Luxembourg. Originally the Palais-Bourbon, it became a Parliament in 1792. The 577 members sit in a semicircular chamber (redone in 1828) facing the speaker who recognizes them thus as parties of the left or right. There are some rooms and a library that have fine art. The facade is off center and was created by Poyet (1806) for Napoleon who wanted a linear axis through the bridge and Place de la Concorde to the Madelaine. To enhance this, the facade mimics that church with a portico and a pediment which bears sculptures of Cortot (1842). Entry to the debates requires special application (as in most countries). There are sometimes special exhibits. Regular tours are given on Saturdays when the Parliament is not in session 10-1500, starting at 33 Quai d’Orsay. We have only walked or driven by.
Palais Bourbon is in front of the bridge of the Consent - Pont de la Concorde. Its facade in accuracy repeats a facade of the church of Sacred Maria Madeleine at another beach of Sena. The building was constructed in 1728 for the daughter of Lui XIV duchess Burbon who gave the palace the same name. In 1764 it became the property of prince Konde. He reconstructed the palace and gave it the today's view. Within revolution the palace was confiscated. Now the residence of the National assembly of France is situated in the palace.
The official seat of the French National Assembly is housed in the Palais Bourbon at the southbank of the Seine, just south of the Place and the Pont de la Concorde. The French National Assembly is one of the two houses of the bicameral Parliament of France. The other is the French Senate, housed in the Palais de Luxembourg.
The Palais Bourbon was originally built for Louis XIV's daughter the duchesse de Bourbon. It is designed by the Italian architect Giardini. Its construction started in 1722 and is completed in 1728. At the start it was a principal block with simple wings ending in pavilions. The grand pedimented Roman portico facing the Place de la Concorde is added to the Palais Bourbon in 1806-08 by the architect Poyet. This portico mirrors the similar classicizing portico of the Madeleine, at the northern end of the rue Royale.
The Bourbon Palace (Palais Bourbon) houses the French National Assembly. There you could "meet" the French deputies (when they sit at their benches). The Lassay townhouse (Hôtel de Lassay) -next to the Bourbon Palace (Palais Bourbon)- is reserved to the President of the French National Assembly. You could visit this Greek style building for its beautiful library decorated by Delacroix
Located on the left bank, the National Assembly is seat of power of the French Parliment. Built in 1722 as a private residence, it was converted to legislative use in 1827. Guided tours are available on Saturdays when Parliment is not in session.