map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Skip-the-Line Louvre Ticket and Montmartre Art Walking Tour Double Feature
"Your guide (a local of Paris) meets you right outside Moulin Rouge - the cabaret that inspired Toulouse-Lautrec and that remains the standard bearer for can can fun.You then set off on your 1.5-hour walking tour around Paris' bohemian district. A weaving past must-see highlights like Le Clos Montmartre vineyard you will hear tales of the great artists who have called the area home. Focusing on Paris’ Impressionist painters your guide will talk you through the lives and works of Renoir Monet Van Gogh - and later Toulouse-Lautrec and Picasso.Besides the Moulin Rouge this tour will take you to the art studio where Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon launched Cubism
From EUR45.00

Private Tour: Customize Your Perfect Day in Paris
"Your day in Paris is completely tailored to match your sightseeing desires. Before your tour your private guide will contact you to discuss the things you want to see so that your logistics and itinerary can be arranged in advance saving you time.On the day of your tour meet your guide at your preferred central location and then set off by whatever means of transport is needed. Taxi rides and public transport are included but all meals activities and entrance fees are payable at your own expense.So what to see? That's up to you! Perhaps visit must-see sights like the ever-inspiring Eiffel Tower -- Paris’s undisputed architectural icon -- or the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur for sweep focus on the more offbeat Paris attractions like the Père Lachaise Cemetery – the city’s hauntingly beautiful graveyard – or let your guide introduce you to private parks that tourist maps miss. Below is a sample itinerary."
From EUR89.00

Montmartre Impressionist Art Walking Tour Including Skip-the-Line Musee d’Orsay Ticket
"Meet your knowledgeable local guide in Montmartre and set off on your 1.5-hour walking tour around the neighborhood. As you stroll through Montmartre’s romantic streets weaving past must-see highlights like Le Clos Montmartre vineyard hear tales of the legendary artists who have called the area home. Focusing on Paris’ Impressionist painters your guide will talk you through the lives and works of Renoir Monet Van Gogh and Cézanne – all incredible artists of their time.See the venues that influenced their art like the building where Van Gogh lived when he moved here from Holland. Van Gogh lovers believe it was here that he really found his personality as an artist
From EUR45.00

Dining and Drinking Tips (47)

Café Richelieu

It’s in the Richelieu section of the Louvre.

€20 for “breakfast”. A cup of coffee. A wee orange juice. 3 minuscule pastries. I should have had a bread roll too, but I guess they wanted to push the boat out with their rip-off and “forgot” it.

I wasn’t sure about that until I checked their menu online later. It explains why I was given butter & jam.

Service was very good. Clearly part of the scam. Smile and be nice to the idiot tourist.

I suppose it would be boring to spend 4 days in Paris and not be ripped off once...

Unique Suggestions See below.

Or go hungry.

Fun Alternatives Either try the self service places in the Pyramide before you start your tour, or grab a coffee & croissant somewhere normal before you get there.

iaint's Profile Photo
iaint
Feb 13, 2013

Cute corner french cafe rip-offs

when you go about paris these attractive french cafes on every corner seem so attractive they tempt you to stop in and sample what they have to offer. well you must be careful because these establishments are all almost identical in respect to food and drink offered and their treatment of tourists. several things to keep in mind. do as the parisians or you will be terribly overcharged. my suggestions, drink a bottle of wine and tap water. Do not drink coca cola (only tourists drink this!) so it will cost you 5-6 euros for 200 ml! don't drink large beers, or beers in general! way overpriced (suspiciously the same price everywhere, price-fixed?) ! beware of the extra 1euro a drink charge (barely visible in the fine print of the menu) added to every drink after 8pm!!! remember, these cafes have 50+ years of vulturing off of tourists, it is now an art form!check you bill for extra items that you did not order (i've been charged for beers i didn't drink)! never order anything you do not see the price!

mrjester
Aug 05, 2012

Coffee Prices

In Paris restaurants must display their menu prices in the window or in easy view for the public. We found places that did not have their coffee prices listed would completely rip us off. At one place we paid 9.50 Euros for one coffee and one short black seated at the bar!

Unique Suggestions Enjoy the coffee!

leanne_pearc's Profile Photo
leanne_pearc
Jun 04, 2011

the "French Breakfast"

Ok..I have to admit....I was wondering what was so special about the "French Breakfast" that I saw advertised everywhere we went sooooo.....as a typical tourist (the first time I went to Paris was in 1999)(I have been to Paris 10 times since) I sat down at an eatery and ordered a "French Breakfast"....and boy will that be the last time I ask for the "French Breakfast"....for 20 Euros....you get a crossiant, butter, 3 ounces of hot chocolate, 3 ounces of orange juice and a small baguette bread !!!!!! I really thought the waiter was kidding when he told me that was it !!! ARE YOU KIDDING !!!!!! 20 Euro's.......the waiter probably laugh as I had the word tourist ALL over MY FACE !!!!!!!! Ignore all the signs and pick your self up 10 pastries and a gallon of Orange juice and have it on a sidewalk watching the world go by for 10 Euros !!!!!!! McDonald's is a lot better for 3 Euro's !!!!! and if you must have bacon, eggs, bread, the FULL AMERICAN version of breakfast..be ready to PAY thru the ROOF...going rate was 35 euro's for an American style breakfast !!!!!

jlanza29's Profile Photo

10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Be clear

When you order anything in cafe make it specified that you don't need any extras. Or you will get some thing like a few crousans in the basket (about EU 1.30 each) with your coffee or chips with the beer.

Unique Suggestions Sure it will increase your bill too.. for price of the whall basket...

kris-t's Profile Photo
kris-t
Dec 18, 2010

Cheapskatin' in Paris

Cheapskatin' in Paris

Did you silently scream "quel horreur" when you saw the bill after downing a couple of drinks at a restaurant? Or get frustrated when you can't find affordable grub near the Eiffel Tower? Chances are, well, you just didn't find the right places to go. Or know the rules. Don't be put off- Paris can be affordable, and often in the most unexpected arrondissements. So stop trying to sweet-talk your way through with the waiter. Just take the bill, pay and don’t look back. Unless the waiter/waitress is breathtakingly cute and somehow asked you for your phone number.

Mind you, I'm no expert, but after living in Paris as a stagiare for almost 2 years and living on a pittance, one is bound to know a thing or two about hanging out in the city with 5 €(fine, make that 10) in your pocket.

Here's a few tips on how to live cheap (whether for a day, a week, or more) in Paris.

We all know how the French (and francophiles alike) are obsessed with their daily Joe. The rule of thumb is obviously trying out coffee in a Parisian cafe. The most important thing, however, is to know where you stand in a bar. If you are that short on cash and still want that Parisian-cafe-experience, drink your coffee au bar. Going straight up to where the bartender/barista/owner is and drinking your coffee there can save you anywhere between 50 cents to 2€. Often there are stools at the bar- and no Parisian dozes off into space at their coffee like people at Starbucks do, anyway. Stay more than 20 minutes at the bar and er…well, pay up is your option. Call me a know-it-all, but I'm the only person I know who's stayed more than 20 au bar (because I am terribly, terribly cheap).

Second thing to keep in mind: call. it. right. Ask for your coffee the way a Parisian would. I haven't seen anyone getting ripped off because of lacking access to this lexicon, but I have certainly seen the quality of their cafe decrease as a result (indicator: amount of chocolate sprinkle or whipped cream on a cafe viennois. Very scientific). Don't ask for an espresso unless you want to buy a Nescafe machine, for god's sake. That cup of magic black brew is a cafe. A macciato is a noisette. A latte is a creme. And cappucino is well, a cappucino. If you want a latte with lots of whipped cream on it? It's not creme avec...er, creme, but a cafe viennois. And a carafe (jug) or a verre d'eau should come for free with every coffee. You might need to ask for it, but every Parisian restaurant should serve tap water for FREE, coffee or no coffee with the order.

If grabbing a cafe and people-watch on a terrace in Saint Germain is your thing, be reminded that it IS an expensive area of Paris. If you insist on going to Les deux magots for your cup, a cappucino there is probably 5€. A salade probably at 15. So make sure you got bills in your pocket. Some restos (that’s right, they call ‘em resto!) don’t take credit card if your bill is too small. There are other options, too. Take a walk around the area. From the exit of metro Saint-Germain de Pres, Near the Cathedral and the rue de Rennes there are quite a few cute bars. Hop in during happy hour and you might be pleasantly surprised. The true finds, however, lies near the Academie Nationale de Medecine and the Ecole des beaux arts. You'll be happy to find a 1.2€ espresso ("Café") in the bar aux deux academie; or, a 1.50 € machiatto ("noisette") in a cute little bar on the corner of rue des beaux-arts. And there are few others like them, too. There's a secret joy to be surrounded by students and researchers from the ENA or the Academie while stealing a peek at the cute guy scribbling in his sketchbook on the stool next to you. Yes, I am that shallow.

And on your way to get there, don't forget to hop in Ladurée- the French landmark of dessert heaven. Go to this location to buy macaroons and you'll skip the line at their store on the Champs Elysée.

The best thing about hanging out in the Saint-Germain area, however, is having a picnic on the Pont des arts. A wooden bridge normally filled by young people and beer-sellers, it is the best place for a relaxing picnic, a read, or a short break- all for free- while enjoying a magnificent view over the Seine River and the Rive gauche of Paris. Keep in mind, however, that there are no supermarkets near the Pont des Arts, so go with a sandwich (better yet, bread and cheese and wine) to enjoy a lovely evening before ka-chingin' it in the Parisian night life.

Let’s continue with beer, grub, sandwiches, fromage and everything in between in our next encounter. Mais oui.

sputnik906
Sep 01, 2010

“Menu Touristique ”

It is more difficult to eat badly in Paris than in many cities, but there are places which look for a fast profit at the expense of the tourist who will never return. Avoid signs that say “Menu Touristique ” – they may be fine, but places that attract local people are far better.

Unique Suggestions Most restaurants have several set menus (menu prix-fixe ), as well as à la carte , from which you order separate dishes. By law, menus must be displayed outside the restaurant. Set menus, which may include wine, are usually excellent value, the cheapest one often costs as cheap as €7.00.

csordila's Profile Photo
csordila
Nov 28, 2009

Bert's

This is a food & drink outlet - cafe style - at CdG Airport. I had the misfortune to use the one at terminal 2G (no choice) but I noticed one at terminal 2E as well.

I paid an incredible €9.90 for a 50cl bottle of San Pellegrino water and a smoked salmon sandwich. Now I know the £ is low against the €, and I know inflation in food prices in France has been very high in the last 12 months, but "rip-off" is the only way to describe this.

Had the sandwich been good I might have accepted the price a bit better. However, the bread was dry and they used a minute piece of salmon, carefully arranged and packaged so that it looked the opposite.

If you have a choice, avoid this place.

Unique Suggestions Check prices carefully, and don't take a pre-packed sandwich.

Fun Alternatives Bring your own food & drink to the airport!

I used the Air France business class lounge in T 2E on my return trip, and it offers a great selection of sandwiches, drinks & snack.

iaint's Profile Photo
iaint
Jul 30, 2009
Nemorino's Profile Photo

Nemorino

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

BeatChick

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

shrimp56

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Restaurant to avoid

I had a holiday in Paris this June. After shopping at the nearby mall, we went to this restaurant
Cafe de l' Opera for lunch. The service I received is horrible! They didn't allow us to share our food and worse still the attitude of the waiters was terrible. After a heat argument over the sharing of food, they chose to ignore us when we waved to them to get butter. The food at the restaurant isn't nice either. The duck they served is not fully cooked. The experience at the restaurant totally spoils my holiday mood.

ocean8282
Oct 22, 2008

ATTENTION: DIFFERENT PRICES FOR A SMALL COFFEE

You must know there are generally 2 or 3 prices in a café or a bar:
1/ bar, comptoir (the cheapest price, but often w/o any chair)
2/ salle (you have a table and a chair, and can stay for hours)
3/ terrace (you can seat outside), very expensive in the touristic areas, but it's so nice in summer

ATTENTION
and sometimes, there is a fee after 9pm...

Examples of prices for one expresso café (in 2003-2006):
1/ 1 to 2 Euros
2/ 2 to 4 Euros
3/ 4 to 7 Euros, it's sometimes the price for a small lunch in Paris !!!!!

Unique Suggestions IMPORTANT
You must always watch your values (cell, money, ipod, iphone, etc...) and your bags when you are at the terrasse or in the metro
Mostly if you sit near the door !!!

Some "french" boys are very very fast to catch your purse then run away ....

Fun Alternatives Bring few cash with you, just enough for each day.

You can buy some drink, ice cream, cakes then go to the Luxembourg Garden.

FREE SEATS
Many chairs are available, it's like at Bryant Park - NYC, and there are music concerts in summer (week-end) at 10am and 2pm.
or walk along the Seine river or on the Island (Ile de la cite).

nygaston's Profile Photo
nygaston
Jul 01, 2007

Billed for a wine I didn't order

This was my fifth time in Paris.
I trusted Michelin and Frommers guide and made a reservation at “Aux Lyonnais”. They promised that “after a meal here, you'll know why Lyon is called the gastronomic capital of France. [...] The day's menu is based on the freshest produce in the market that morning. Inventiveness and solid technique characterize such dishes as parsleyed calves' liver, pike dumplings (the best in Paris),...”

What did I find? A simple salad, charcuterie and boudin noir, mediocre quenelle et ecrevisses. Excuse me, but where is the inventiveness? While I like charcuterie and boudin noir there is no need to go to a restaurant to try it, you buy it at the grocery store and eat it straight; there is no need to pay 40$ for that.

But the worst was yet to come. The wine list started with a 29 € “Bourgogne Pinot noir” and went on with much more expensive wines. I ordered the first one. To my surprise, at the end of a disappointing dinner, I received a bill charging 112 € (152 $) for a Gevrey Mugneret that I didn't order. I pointed that this was a mistake but it happened that they had served me this expensive wine and I hadn't noticed it. They pointed to the bottle and insisted that I had been served that wine and had to pay for it. How could I prove that it was their mistake? Am I supposed to record myself when ordering? Am I supposed to ask for a written copy of my order and keep it to prevent this kind of assault? Am I supposed to check carefully the bottle label just in case they make a mistake and change the wine, or the year?

I've been five times in Paris and about a dozen more in France, and never encountered a scam like this. I will go back again but I wonder whether travel guides can be trusted any more.
I encourage everybody to travel to Paris and enjoy french cuisine in the thousands of restaurants that are doing a honest job, but be warned about wasting your time and money at “Aux Lyonnais”.

jiveatfive
May 17, 2007

Billed for a wine I didn't order

This was my fifth time in Paris.

jiveatfive
May 17, 2007

Things to Do Near Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

La Comédie Française

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map