Pick Pockets, Paris

Covered for your next adventure?
Get travel insurance you can count on.
    Gare du Nord, Pay Toiletes DANGEROUS
    by MELOR
  • View of Eastern European girls using fake petition
    View of Eastern European girls using...
    by stopparispickpockets
  • Fake petition used to pickpocket smartphones
    Fake petition used to pickpocket...
    by stopparispickpockets

Know about this?

• Beautiful City that has lost its charm

by limbenben Written Jun 25, 2016

Paris seems like such a romantic city but the thing was when I went to a McDonalds and used my phone to take a picture of some food and placed it on my lap, it was stolen from me within 5-10 mins. The staff was trying to be helpful but this ***y manager kept saying no no no. Like lady, the staff are trying to help?? That *** probably was the one who stole the phone. THEIVES EVERYWHERE MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR PHONE IN YOUR BAG AND EVERYTHING IN YOUR BAG OK. Don't put it in a place convenient like the outside pouch of your bag. Put it in the biggest pouch where you keep most things. Too much convenience can lead to too little security. I'm still trying to transfer everything over....

TURN ON FIND MY IPHONE IT REALLY HELPS (I didn't turn it on as it was interfering with syncing but you should always turn it back on immediately as I had no way to trace where my phone was)

P.S. The lovelock bridge is now ***. They removed all the locks and replaced it with glass panels

For the time being, screw Paris.. In Italy the theives steal your cash but nothing else. (Our tour guide told us that the thieves only steal your money and nothing else idk why though)

• PickPockets in Local Trains in Paris

by AnIndianTraveller Written May 8, 2016

I was recently on a trip to Paris. I had already been warned that Paris has a big issue of Pickpockets and thugs, one has to be really careful. Till last day, we didn't have any issue but on the last day of our trip, we took train from one of the stations in central Paris. We were four and were standing near gate when a lady, dressed weirdly came and stand with us. She was covering herself with a Shawl and i felt for 2-3 times that she is trying to be closer to me and i couldn't see her hand as she had covered her hands.
    But thankfully, i was carrying a sling bag and had tight zippers and buttons. I guess, she couldn't open it. And then i realized she has moved towards one of my friend and my quick reflex worked and i just removed her away from that lady.

To our surprise, we could see her hand in my friend's bag. When we confronted her, she started shouting and got down at next stop.
    Our presence of mind saved us from a disaster and it can save you too. We hardly see any police in entire city and as i have heard from friends, even Police are not very helping there. So its on us to be careful all the time.

• Beware stealing of bags in paris Nord

by norri Written Sep 10, 2015

Many of the stories bring back bad memories of our visit a couple of years ago to Paris Nord train station. My husband's suitcase stolen whilst all our family were reading at the central coffee shop. Once the bag was stolen we reported it to lost property where they said that 30-40 bags were stolen daily (there were two other parties reporting theft of luggage while we were there). I informed the police where they said the same thing as a previous travellers. You have to file a report so we can ask the railway authorites to release CCTV. The report takes an hour and then most people would have missed the train and then I presume think that nothing would eventuate so don't proceed with the report.

After the theft you notice major flaws with security in the train station:

The police are involved, as with 30-40 BAGS STOLEN DAILY they are not interested in this problem. My daughter reported they were more interested in
    chatting to each other
    eating Macdonalds
    not helpful and quite blaise when bag reported stolen.

IT IS A PROFESSIONAL GANG OF THIEVES OPERATING.

No respect for the French police or security in Paris.

• Use a Money Belt!

by ps123 Written Apr 11, 2015

My wife and I are experienced travelers but were admittedly lazy about not using money belts this time around to Paris. We were packed into the metro at the Chatelet stop when 3 young (barely teenage) girls squished into the car. One tried to play with our young son – an obvious distraction we missed and only noted in hindsight – while another jostled against the back of my wife's mother. Maybe trying to pick pocket her or maybe just distracting her (she had nothing taken). The third likely reached into my wife's purse (unlocked; yet another mistake) and she discovered her wallet gone immediately after we left on the next stop. It could have all been easily avoided with the use of the good old money belt. Sweaty and uncomfortable yes but not as uncomfortable as getting pick pocketed by the ever present Roma.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Watch yourself

by solopes Updated Feb 2, 2015

The crowds around Eiffel tower are a good opportunity to pickpockets. In one of our late visits, Fernanda noticed a couple of men following us, too close, and with a clear concentration in my camcorder.

We joined one line to the elevators and they lined after us. Then, I turned myself, looked the first one clearly in the eyes, and, without a word, we moved to another elevator. They abandoned the line and went away.

Paris - France Paris - France Paris - France

• Smart Pickpockets

by Mamamiaseo Written Oct 7, 2014

I was on vacation with my husband in paris. We come every year when we are free for 2 to 3 days. I extended the trip this year for 5 days. We usually didn't go to anywhere special. We lived with my aunt a long way from the city. We thought we would get a hotel in the city for this trip. We were roaming around popular tourist attractions when a group of young looking boys and girls approached us with clipboards of some sort. It was for deaf and mute children and it looked like a petition.First i had said no but they continued to mob and pester me so i agreed to only sign the petition but not anything else.They were obviously trying to distract me and talk to me which is when i got suspicious.I immediately said "non non i won't sign goodbye" while the boy wrote that i had offered to donate 10 euros to them and took my husband's 10 euros. We quickly ran away from them as i shouted non non and i sat on the nearest bench i could find. I noticed that the children were gone and that my purse was open. When i looked inside i found that almost 100 euros was gone. They looked harmless and i was so surprised. I was in shock when another blonde girl in a ponytail approached me asking if i had dropped a ring i said "what? and she repeated and put the ring on my lap.I quickly realised she was tricking me and I shouted "non non go away i'll call the cops" the girl smiled and walked away.After this incident i went to the police and they were no help. If you see any teenagers or anyone asking you anything say no and go away.Keep to yourself and don't do or talk to anyone asking you to do anything say non and run and keep cautious about your bags and pockets. Better yet dont carry anything above 50 euro.

• Singles

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Pick pockets and other gangs in paris

by Aakashmunjal Written Oct 6, 2014

Group of teenagers in paris city, in all major locations, trying to make fool of you by starting " you know english" or showing you a paper to sign some petition or donate some money or even " is this ring yours". They are a gang who will steal your money before you even realize what happened.

They will always come in a gang ( mostly) , confuse you, crowd you and you are done.

This happened to me an hour back. I am attaching their pics too.

If anyone comes to you " with a paper" , " you know english" , " is this your ring" or any other crap which is not concerning you, hold on to your pockets and run away from there.

They will be teenagers mostly. In the attached pics, notice main pic, the guy on the right with blue jacket. The one with black jacket is me getting fooled. He stole 200 euros from me before i know what happened and when i looked back, they were gone.

Funny though: 2 young girls tried the same stunt with me while i walked another km.

The guy on the right with blue jacket Same gang
    • Study Abroad

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Roma girls pickpocketing in subway

by fromhere2there Written Oct 3, 2014

We were in Paris last fall for three months and thankfully we didn't have an issue with pick pockets, but in our last day we were in the subway, I was sitting next to a window facing one of the doors and a Parisian lady next to me, my husband and my son were sitting across of me. In the expo stop I saw an elderly Asian couple with a couple of suitcases getting in the car and right behind them a group of 5/6 roma teenagers that looked pretty harmless, but suddenly one of them carrying a Paris purse (those that you buy as souvenirs) lifted it and placed it on top of the elderly lady's backpack and proceeded to open it to rob her. I was in shock and in Spanish (my first language) I say to my husband 'this lady is being robbed in plain sight!'. The lady sitting next to me saw it too and immediately got up and pulled the elder lady away from the roma and alerted her, and the teenagers instead of letting it go moved over to the elder man and tried to pick his wallet from his coat pocket, prompting the lady sitting next to me to stand up again and shove the girls. All this happened in a matter of seconds, and even though the metro was packed you could see no one reacted to it. In the next stop the teenagers got off and walked away as if nothing happened. The elder couple was very startled, and I left Paris with an unforgettable image, one thing is reading or hearing about it, but to see it firsthand is worse.

• Theft Gare du Nord RATP Concourse Toilets Entrance

by MELOR Updated Aug 30, 2014

I had read all of the warnings and I am a seasoned traveler. Upon arriving at Gare du Nord via Eurostar my camera bag was stolen not a foot from me. It was attached to my suit case handle and was tight. When we entered the concourse paid toilets, standing at the counter with my attention on negotiating to pay with UK pounds instead of Euros, my bag was stolen while it was less than a foot away and next to me.

The toilette staff watched, the crime took place under a CCT camera at the counter. I lost a weeks worth of London photos and $ 4K in camera gear and an iPad.

The police, just 100 feet away responded in perfect english, "you can go upstairs and file a report". Never did they even walk to the paid toilets entrance or glance around. I noticed the theft within seconds of it happening.

The officer taking the report said they don't look at the CCT video unless a violent crime takes place. On my last trip to Paris I fought off three pick pockets on the Metro, I pay attention and know the scams. I push the clipboard and do you speak english scammers away. I tell cabs to use the meter and don't get in if they don't.

I learned a hard lesson that I can be robbed in front of a counter with a security guard in the room at 2:45 PM on August 20, 2014. We never did use the restrooms. The photo shows the toilettes entrance and the use less CCT camera.

Gare du Nord, Pay Toiletes DANGEROUS
    • Photography

• DAYLIGHT SNATCH THEIF IN PARIS METRO TRAIN

by cpli Written Aug 5, 2014

I have heard repeating times to be extra careful of pickpockets in Paris before I came to travel with my parents. We were very careful on the very first day, but on the second day in a very short moment at around 4pm, we sat on the metro and my mum being absent minded took out her handphone to see her photos, in just few sec when the next station arrived, the 2 black man went out of the train, step back in and snatch my mum phone in a forceful way from her and both of them ran off in a speed of light. It was really a horrible experience. We report the case to the metro information counter but yet the report couldn't be send, next we went to the police station knowing that they couldn't help but keep asking for our serial number. The policemen also gave us a very bad impression of not being patience. In the end all we could do is to call back to our country and cancel the phone line.

They actually have the chance to attack my mum because they knew that she is not local and weak. I do recommend to be extra careful travelling out with your parents. Constantly remind them about the surrounding and be aware of people around you.

• Pickpockets taking photos

by NoelleCoh Written Aug 2, 2014

There was a group of Roma's on the bus, coming from the Louvre area. the man kept lookin at me while the group of young girls kept moving around me,I was with 2 others and we were aware of what was going on. The man actually took my picture on the bus! Fast forward, we visited the Eiffel Tower, spent an hour, got on another bus, guess who appeared right behind us, the entire group of them. I do not believe it was a coincidence, I'm not sure yet what role the picture took. I would be very wary of anyone taking pictures of tourists on the public transportation. Anyone know what this scam is?

• Pickpocketed by Gypsies in an unlikely place

by GoldieS2 Written May 2, 2014

So I was in a crowded supermarket in a non-tourist neighborhood picking up some groceries. I do not look like a tourist, or so I think. I did not think I would be targeted but anybody is fair game. I was in line at the checkout and very annoyed at the crowding. People just do not give you personal space in Paris. As soon as you move forward an inch, the person behind you moves forward too. I noticed these two young ladies with purple scarves crowding behind me and placing their groceries right behind mine and I was mildly annoyed at them for crowding me. I took no further notice of them and paid for my groceries and put my wallet back in my festival belt. I even had to pass my hand cart to the gypsy ladies to stow it back because they were so close to me couldn't access the back of the checkout isle anymore. I bagged my groceries and felt rushed because the next persons groceries were coming down the isle. I looked behind me again and the gypsy ladies were vanished and it was actually a yuppy lady who's groceries were coming down the isle. I noticed too late that my wallet was gone from my belt. Fortunately the wallet that was stolen was just my day wallet and my passport and other money was not stolen. When I went back to the supermarket a few hours later to ask about my wallet another lady (not a tourist) was also there looking for hers. Hers went missing around the same time as mine. Anyways pickpockets can strike anywhere. The store wasn't very helpful and suggested I go to the police, which I did. The police were helpful, and issued me a temporary driver's licence so that I could drive in Paris until I could get back to the U.S. and get my real license replaced.

• Crowded Paris métro

by Tramble Updated Feb 19, 2014

Avoid taking the métro during commuter hours of heavy useage when the cars are crowded. Last night my husband lost his wallet on a crowded métro car. Time: about 7:00 pm; Ligne: 4 (Chatelet). The wallet with 30 Euros in cash was in the front pocket and was shielded by a long coat and a tour book in the coat pocket, same side as the wallet. Immediately upon discovering the loss, we called the called the US to report the lost credit card and bank card; drivers license and other cards were reported on line. It was helpful that we had photocopies of our cards with the numbers. Then we walked to the closest police station to file a complaint, which will be useful in refuting the credit card charges. Within an hour, the thiefs had made at least four attemps to use the card, had charged two purchases and were refused a 2500.00 Euro charge attempt twice, due to the high amount. We are frequent travellers to Paris and this is the first time a thief was successful!

• Business Travel

• Paris Pickpocketers Using Petition to Steal Phones

by stopparispickpockets Written Dec 2, 2013

BEWARE of Eastern European girls dressed in head scarves and shoulder bags trying to get you to sign a petition for deaf and homeless orphans. While you say no, they will bump into you, push you while another one of them reaches into your purse or pocket and takes your phone, wallet, etc.

My phone was stolen at the Musee d' Orsey. Also spotted at Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, and along Siene River.

You will find them in large crowds.

Please share these photos!!!!!!

Fake petition used to pickpocket smartphones View of Eastern European girls using fake petition
    • Castles and Palaces

• ramgad's Profile Photo

Warning for Louvre-visitors

by ramgad Written Nov 28, 2013

November 2013: I was sitting with a friend outside the Louvre-Pyramid-Entrance at the side on a bench.
    There was no other people around or besides us. When we stand up to leave I missed my handbag and was really shocked! We did not see anybody and had no idea how that happened! The worst experience during all my worldwide travels. Money, smartphone, creditcard, passport etc.
    There was no police around und there is no video-supervision around the Louvre.
    Security + Police Department did not help in any way.
    Lots of police and security I only saw in the streets near Madeleine, there are ministries and luxury shops.
    I think Paris mayor and French Tourismus Manager should really do something that Paris is not a heaven for criminals and visitors can feel secure!

Instant Answers: Paris

• Sep 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

PARIS a lovely place!Been there in 1997 it was really nice!NOW oh dear GOT robbed in metro after two hours only upon arrival!What a start for a holiday!POLICE nowhere to be seen! It seems this teenagers ROMA gypsies are always there ready to pounce TOURIST like me and my family!THEY BLOCKED ME RIGHT IN THE ENTRANCE OF THE METRO AND JUMPED OUT AFTER THEY VE GOT MY WALLET AND MY FRIENDS MONEY AS WELL!SO you ask me now if its really bad pickpocketing in metro,Notredam,EIFFEL TOWER AND ALL the tourist spots POLICE DO SOMETHING! PUT SIGNS "BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS"THEY SAY THEY USUALLY ANNOUNCED IT "YEAH IN FRENCH! IN EVERY LANGUAGE PLEASE THANK YOU!I DONT KNOW FRENCH!BE AWARE THEY SAY OH YES! BUT THEY ARE SO GOOD THEY HAVE TIME TO CLOSED YOUR BAGS AND PURSED AFTER THEY NICKED YOUR MONEY!AND YOU CANT TOUCH THEM COS ITS UNDER AGE!BUT AT LEAST PUT SIGNS AND POLICE EVERYWHERE!GOING BACK TO PARIS? NO THANK YOU! BAD EXPERIENCED!SO YOU GUYS GOING TO PARIS BE AWARE OF YOUR WALLET AND PURSE! DONT TRUST ANYONE!

• Feb 7, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Pickpockets may be everywhere in the world, however I have never seen nor read about as many as there are now in Paris. Police do nothing.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM

I don't know where you have visited but I can assure you that there are just as many pickpockets in London, Rome and numerous other cities, if not more. I doubt you have actually 'seen' many pickpockets in action. You may have *read* more about Paris pickpockets but has it occurred to you that is because Paris is the most-visited city in the world?

It is very easy to avoid being the victim of pickpockets by taking sensible precautions but, unfortunately, many people do think 'it won't happen to me' and simply don't take those precautions.

It is simply not true that 'police do nothing' but they can only act when a crime is committed, not merely because someone looks as if they might be a criminal.That would be a very slippery slope indeed. All pickpockets are exceptionally skilful and it is simply not possible to judge who might be a pickpocket by appearance alone. The most skilful pickpockets certainly do not draw attention to themselves. They look just like you and me.

• Aug 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I wish I have red this forum before I left for Paris for vacation - first time to Europe.

it has been a dream for many years for me to go to Paris for vacation, however, my first ever trip to Paris turned to be unpleasant for the first a few days when my wallet was stolen in 30 minutes after I entered the Palace of Versailles and 30 hours of arriving Paris, likely by a group of young women(4 of them or more) who asked me to take photo for them. I would never imagine they were the ones who pickpocketed my wallet until the security and police told me they were most likely. It almost ruined our 2-week vacation completely as we have to change our travel plan and spent a few days dealing with Embassy/visa center for temp travel document, luckily we enjoyed the rest days outside Paris in Tours and Normandy area afterwards, but will never go back again until their government do something to protect the tourists.

while I blame my own negligence, I also blame the French/Paris goverment and the authority of the Palace of Versailles not doing their due diligence to stop such bold crime targeting vulnerable tourists.

not sure how long it will take for the world to name Paris the "city of pickpocketing" if no serious and effective measures are taken to deal with that crime.

• Jul 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

About 30 people witnessed what happened to me today and not one of them made a single effort. So much for the Parisians hate it too... don't believe a word of it.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Jul 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

To clarify, you said "30 people" and not "30 Parisians". Your witnesses could have been from anywhere at all and/or too intimidated to get involved. They also may have not been completely aware of what was happening until it was too late. I'm very sorry about your unfortunate incident but blaming bystanders for not stepping in and assuming they were all locals may be taking it a bit too far.

• May 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I just want to say that I am proud French myself and believe me, I am more than willing to throw away my pride as I am reading all the bad things that happened to you in Paris.
    I am fed up about these pickpockets as well, and I wish the authorities would do something about it. As all "real" French people, I want nothing more to see these foreigners getting kicked out of the country once and for all, minors or not I don't care.
    I am just devastated and want you all to know that no one in the country endorse this treatment (or lack of) you get.
    These thieves are absolutly hated by everyone and we want them gone, I just wish this feeling could be translate to competent authorities as well.

Stay safe, do not carry anything precious with you and if you can, try not to wear the "tourist right here" cap on.

• Aug 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

thanks, you may also appeal your government and politicians to take concrete measure to stop that crime by all means.

by the way, when you travel to a great city and want to bring back the great scene and memory, how can it possible to pretent not be a tourist? why not focus on letting tourists being tourists and the thieves being in jails? the big problem is that all level of French governments/authorities don't do anything to stop such crime and make one wondering if they are conspiracy with those pickpocketers to suck easy money from foreign tourists(sorry for my extreme words, however, all the local french people we met were so nice though).

• Apr 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

My wife got robbed in Paris at subway/ metro line 9 as soon we got on Frank Roosvelt station, there were two ladies in their twenties. One talk to my wife for direction while the other one was pickpocket my wife wallet. She had 1,900 euros in her wallet and two credit card.. We had our children with us and we were busy seating them up or making sure they do not fall as soon the train move. Thieves got off one station after then my wife noticed her bag zipper was opened and her wallet gone. Got off the the next station and screamed for help but no one helped .. Went to the station information and shocked with their reaction as they were laughing and told us to go outside to police help!!!
    We went running for anyone to help but never found any police nearby! They told us to go to the police station and we went. We saw the place is crowded with similar incident just like us and some worse. We spent our day there. They made us wait for 4 hours to talk to the policeman! She was not even interested to her our story and gave us the document papers and nothing happen. This was the ugliest experience that we had ever in our travelling. Kids were frighten from Paris and wanted to go home Now. Can not blame my kids, Paris need to do better job to protect and keep people feel safe.

• Aug 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

gwened and goodfish, your tone sounds you blame the victims for being victims. why don't you urge your government and politicians to take action against such crime before too late?

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Aug 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM

As gwened said, we are not condoning or blaming anybody. We're just emphasizing the fact that pickpockets are not specific to Paris, and that it's nearly impossible for authorities to "do" anything for their victims unless they are right there to witness the crime when it happens. Most tourists don't even realize they've been robbed until after the fact and so can't even provide a description. Keeping your valuables in place where they can't easily accessed by light fingers (NEVER in a purse or an exterior pocket) is your very best form of defense as the police simply can't be everywhere, and couldn't see every theft as it happens even if they could.