Map &

From EUR32.00
Private Tour: Customize Your Perfect Day in Paris
From EUR89.00

Pick Pockets Tips (172)

Beautiful City that has lost its charm

Paris seems like such a romantic city but the thing was when I went to a McDonalds and used my phone to take a picture of some food and placed it on my lap, it was stolen from me within 5-10 mins. The staff was trying to be helpful but this ***y manager kept saying no no no. Like lady, the staff are trying to help?? That *** probably was the one who stole the phone. THEIVES EVERYWHERE MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR PHONE IN YOUR BAG AND EVERYTHING IN YOUR BAG OK. Don't put it in a place convenient like the outside pouch of your bag. Put it in the biggest pouch where you keep most things. Too much convenience can lead to too little security. I'm still trying to transfer everything over....

TURN ON FIND MY IPHONE IT REALLY HELPS (I didn't turn it on as it was interfering with syncing but you should always turn it back on immediately as I had no way to trace where my phone was)

P.S. The lovelock bridge is now ***. They removed all the locks and replaced it with glass panels

For the time being, screw Paris.. In Italy the theives steal your cash but nothing else. (Our tour guide told us that the thieves only steal your money and nothing else idk why though)

Jun 25, 2016

PickPockets in Local Trains in Paris

I was recently on a trip to Paris. I had already been warned that Paris has a big issue of Pickpockets and thugs, one has to be really careful. Till last day, we didn't have any issue but on the last day of our trip, we took train from one of the stations in central Paris. We were four and were standing near gate when a lady, dressed weirdly came and stand with us. She was covering herself with a Shawl and i felt for 2-3 times that she is trying to be closer to me and i couldn't see her hand as she had covered her hands.
But thankfully, i was carrying a sling bag and had tight zippers and buttons. I guess, she couldn't open it. And then i realized she has moved towards one of my friend and my quick reflex worked and i just removed her away from that lady.

To our surprise, we could see her hand in my friend's bag. When we confronted her, she started shouting and got down at next stop.
Our presence of mind saved us from a disaster and it can save you too. We hardly see any police in entire city and as i have heard from friends, even Police are not very helping there. So its on us to be careful all the time.

May 08, 2016

Beware stealing of bags in paris Nord

Many of the stories bring back bad memories of our visit a couple of years ago to Paris Nord train station. My husband's suitcase stolen whilst all our family were reading at the central coffee shop. Once the bag was stolen we reported it to lost property where they said that 30-40 bags were stolen daily (there were two other parties reporting theft of luggage while we were there). I informed the police where they said the same thing as a previous travellers. You have to file a report so we can ask the railway authorites to release CCTV. The report takes an hour and then most people would have missed the train and then I presume think that nothing would eventuate so don't proceed with the report.

After the theft you notice major flaws with security in the train station:

The police are involved, as with 30-40 BAGS STOLEN DAILY they are not interested in this problem. My daughter reported they were more interested in
chatting to each other
eating Macdonalds
not helpful and quite blaise when bag reported stolen.

No respect for the French police or security in Paris.

Sep 10, 2015

Use a Money Belt!

My wife and I are experienced travelers but were admittedly lazy about not using money belts this time around to Paris. We were packed into the metro at the Chatelet stop when 3 young (barely teenage) girls squished into the car. One tried to play with our young son – an obvious distraction we missed and only noted in hindsight – while another jostled against the back of my wife's mother. Maybe trying to pick pocket her or maybe just distracting her (she had nothing taken). The third likely reached into my wife's purse (unlocked; yet another mistake) and she discovered her wallet gone immediately after we left on the next stop. It could have all been easily avoided with the use of the good old money belt. Sweaty and uncomfortable yes but not as uncomfortable as getting pick pocketed by the ever present Roma.

Apr 11, 2015

10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Watch yourself

The crowds around Eiffel tower are a good opportunity to pickpockets. In one of our late visits, Fernanda noticed a couple of men following us, too close, and with a clear concentration in my camcorder.

We joined one line to the elevators and they lined after us. Then, I turned myself, looked the first one clearly in the eyes, and, without a word, we moved to another elevator. They abandoned the line and went away.

solopes's Profile Photo
Feb 02, 2015

Smart Pickpockets

I was on vacation with my husband in paris. We come every year when we are free for 2 to 3 days. I extended the trip this year for 5 days. We usually didn't go to anywhere special. We lived with my aunt a long way from the city. We thought we would get a hotel in the city for this trip. We were roaming around popular tourist attractions when a group of young looking boys and girls approached us with clipboards of some sort. It was for deaf and mute children and it looked like a petition.First i had said no but they continued to mob and pester me so i agreed to only sign the petition but not anything else.They were obviously trying to distract me and talk to me which is when i got suspicious.I immediately said "non non i won't sign goodbye" while the boy wrote that i had offered to donate 10 euros to them and took my husband's 10 euros. We quickly ran away from them as i shouted non non and i sat on the nearest bench i could find. I noticed that the children were gone and that my purse was open. When i looked inside i found that almost 100 euros was gone. They looked harmless and i was so surprised. I was in shock when another blonde girl in a ponytail approached me asking if i had dropped a ring i said "what? and she repeated and put the ring on my lap.I quickly realised she was tricking me and I shouted "non non go away i'll call the cops" the girl smiled and walked away.After this incident i went to the police and they were no help. If you see any teenagers or anyone asking you anything say no and go away.Keep to yourself and don't do or talk to anyone asking you to do anything say non and run and keep cautious about your bags and pockets. Better yet dont carry anything above 50 euro.

Oct 07, 2014

Pick pockets and other gangs in paris

Group of teenagers in paris city, in all major locations, trying to make fool of you by starting " you know english" or showing you a paper to sign some petition or donate some money or even " is this ring yours". They are a gang who will steal your money before you even realize what happened.

They will always come in a gang ( mostly) , confuse you, crowd you and you are done.

This happened to me an hour back. I am attaching their pics too.

If anyone comes to you " with a paper" , " you know english" , " is this your ring" or any other crap which is not concerning you, hold on to your pockets and run away from there.

They will be teenagers mostly. In the attached pics, notice main pic, the guy on the right with blue jacket. The one with black jacket is me getting fooled. He stole 200 euros from me before i know what happened and when i looked back, they were gone.

Funny though: 2 young girls tried the same stunt with me while i walked another km.

Oct 06, 2014

Roma girls pickpocketing in subway

We were in Paris last fall for three months and thankfully we didn't have an issue with pick pockets, but in our last day we were in the subway, I was sitting next to a window facing one of the doors and a Parisian lady next to me, my husband and my son were sitting across of me. In the expo stop I saw an elderly Asian couple with a couple of suitcases getting in the car and right behind them a group of 5/6 roma teenagers that looked pretty harmless, but suddenly one of them carrying a Paris purse (those that you buy as souvenirs) lifted it and placed it on top of the elderly lady's backpack and proceeded to open it to rob her. I was in shock and in Spanish (my first language) I say to my husband 'this lady is being robbed in plain sight!'. The lady sitting next to me saw it too and immediately got up and pulled the elder lady away from the roma and alerted her, and the teenagers instead of letting it go moved over to the elder man and tried to pick his wallet from his coat pocket, prompting the lady sitting next to me to stand up again and shove the girls. All this happened in a matter of seconds, and even though the metro was packed you could see no one reacted to it. In the next stop the teenagers got off and walked away as if nothing happened. The elder couple was very startled, and I left Paris with an unforgettable image, one thing is reading or hearing about it, but to see it firsthand is worse.

Oct 03, 2014
Nemorino's Profile Photo

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

pfsmalo's Profile Photo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Theft Gare du Nord RATP Concourse Toilets Entrance

I had read all of the warnings and I am a seasoned traveler. Upon arriving at Gare du Nord via Eurostar my camera bag was stolen not a foot from me. It was attached to my suit case handle and was tight. When we entered the concourse paid toilets, standing at the counter with my attention on negotiating to pay with UK pounds instead of Euros, my bag was stolen while it was less than a foot away and next to me.

The toilette staff watched, the crime took place under a CCT camera at the counter. I lost a weeks worth of London photos and $ 4K in camera gear and an iPad.

The police, just 100 feet away responded in perfect english, "you can go upstairs and file a report". Never did they even walk to the paid toilets entrance or glance around. I noticed the theft within seconds of it happening.

The officer taking the report said they don't look at the CCT video unless a violent crime takes place. On my last trip to Paris I fought off three pick pockets on the Metro, I pay attention and know the scams. I push the clipboard and do you speak english scammers away. I tell cabs to use the meter and don't get in if they don't.

I learned a hard lesson that I can be robbed in front of a counter with a security guard in the room at 2:45 PM on August 20, 2014. We never did use the restrooms. The photo shows the toilettes entrance and the use less CCT camera.

Aug 30, 2014

I have heard repeating times to be extra careful of pickpockets in Paris before I came to travel with my parents. We were very careful on the very first day, but on the second day in a very short moment at around 4pm, we sat on the metro and my mum being absent minded took out her handphone to see her photos, in just few sec when the next station arrived, the 2 black man went out of the train, step back in and snatch my mum phone in a forceful way from her and both of them ran off in a speed of light. It was really a horrible experience. We report the case to the metro information counter but yet the report couldn't be send, next we went to the police station knowing that they couldn't help but keep asking for our serial number. The policemen also gave us a very bad impression of not being patience. In the end all we could do is to call back to our country and cancel the phone line.

They actually have the chance to attack my mum because they knew that she is not local and weak. I do recommend to be extra careful travelling out with your parents. Constantly remind them about the surrounding and be aware of people around you.

Aug 05, 2014

Pickpockets taking photos

There was a group of Roma's on the bus, coming from the Louvre area. the man kept lookin at me while the group of young girls kept moving around me,I was with 2 others and we were aware of what was going on. The man actually took my picture on the bus! Fast forward, we visited the Eiffel Tower, spent an hour, got on another bus, guess who appeared right behind us, the entire group of them. I do not believe it was a coincidence, I'm not sure yet what role the picture took. I would be very wary of anyone taking pictures of tourists on the public transportation. Anyone know what this scam is?

Aug 02, 2014

Pickpocketed by Gypsies in an unlikely place

So I was in a crowded supermarket in a non-tourist neighborhood picking up some groceries. I do not look like a tourist, or so I think. I did not think I would be targeted but anybody is fair game. I was in line at the checkout and very annoyed at the crowding. People just do not give you personal space in Paris. As soon as you move forward an inch, the person behind you moves forward too. I noticed these two young ladies with purple scarves crowding behind me and placing their groceries right behind mine and I was mildly annoyed at them for crowding me. I took no further notice of them and paid for my groceries and put my wallet back in my festival belt. I even had to pass my hand cart to the gypsy ladies to stow it back because they were so close to me couldn't access the back of the checkout isle anymore. I bagged my groceries and felt rushed because the next persons groceries were coming down the isle. I looked behind me again and the gypsy ladies were vanished and it was actually a yuppy lady who's groceries were coming down the isle. I noticed too late that my wallet was gone from my belt. Fortunately the wallet that was stolen was just my day wallet and my passport and other money was not stolen. When I went back to the supermarket a few hours later to ask about my wallet another lady (not a tourist) was also there looking for hers. Hers went missing around the same time as mine. Anyways pickpockets can strike anywhere. The store wasn't very helpful and suggested I go to the police, which I did. The police were helpful, and issued me a temporary driver's licence so that I could drive in Paris until I could get back to the U.S. and get my real license replaced.

May 02, 2014

Things To Do in Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

La Comédie Française

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!