Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Skip-the-Line Louvre Ticket and Montmartre Art Walking Tour Double Feature
"Your guide (a local of Paris) meets you right outside Moulin Rouge - the cabaret that inspired Toulouse-Lautrec and that remains the standard bearer for can can fun.You then set off on your 1.5-hour walking tour around Paris' bohemian district. A weaving past must-see highlights like Le Clos Montmartre vineyard you will hear tales of the great artists who have called the area home. Focusing on Paris’ Impressionist painters your guide will talk you through the lives and works of Renoir Monet Van Gogh - and later Toulouse-Lautrec and Picasso.Besides the Moulin Rouge this tour will take you to the art studio where Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon launched Cubism
From EUR45.00

Private Tour: Customize Your Perfect Day in Paris
"Your day in Paris is completely tailored to match your sightseeing desires. Before your tour your private guide will contact you to discuss the things you want to see so that your logistics and itinerary can be arranged in advance saving you time.On the day of your tour meet your guide at your preferred central location and then set off by whatever means of transport is needed. Taxi rides and public transport are included but all meals activities and entrance fees are payable at your own expense.So what to see? That's up to you! Perhaps visit must-see sights like the ever-inspiring Eiffel Tower -- Paris’s undisputed architectural icon -- or the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur for sweep focus on the more offbeat Paris attractions like the Père Lachaise Cemetery – the city’s hauntingly beautiful graveyard – or let your guide introduce you to private parks that tourist maps miss. Below is a sample itinerary."
From EUR89.00

Montmartre Impressionist Art Walking Tour Including Skip-the-Line Musee d’Orsay Ticket
"Meet your knowledgeable local guide in Montmartre and set off on your 1.5-hour walking tour around the neighborhood. As you stroll through Montmartre’s romantic streets weaving past must-see highlights like Le Clos Montmartre vineyard hear tales of the legendary artists who have called the area home. Focusing on Paris’ Impressionist painters your guide will talk you through the lives and works of Renoir Monet Van Gogh and Cézanne – all incredible artists of their time.See the venues that influenced their art like the building where Van Gogh lived when he moved here from Holland. Van Gogh lovers believe it was here that he really found his personality as an artist
From EUR45.00

Red Light Districts Tips (26)

Pigalle beware

I went to Pigalle..It is highly unsafe. Someone took me to one bar to have drink and some dance. I went there. 1 moroccon girl said u sty here , beer only 10 Euro..Within 5 minutes , this girl said that I already hav 2 drinks...I asked how much 1 drink ..she said 80 Euro....I said i dnt want all this...Believe me, I did not have even 3 sips of my beer in this time...They charged me for 430 Euros...And tried to scare me....
I knew I was cheated....I said I wdnt pay.....They said We will call cops...I said OK, calll them.....There was lot of shouting n all.......Tried to push me n all...As i had morning flight , I did not want to do risk things...I knew they were sort of mafia type...So i said Ok , i know i have come to wrong place.....Lets sort it out....
I paid them 140 euros and they forced me to pay further 200USD as i Was not having more euros......
So i realised , it is common there....Pls do not trust people out there...
Even though i found out that generally people are Ok there and will help you out.....
But you can find some rowdy elements..

vineet4871
Mar 29, 2014

Pigalle Bar...avoid at all cost

This area of the city is full of bars and nigtclubs who lure you in with cheap beer and strip and then overprice you for beer like 10X. I got my dose once and called the police and told them i was beaten up wich was not true but they did grab me from behind hard.
The small bald bouncer..which i think is the same as the one described below is a marocan with some resident cards. I dont think he is a french citizen and the police asked him to show is resident alien card when i was there. They asked me if i would put a charge against him but i was traveling the next morning so I did not.. I just dont understand why this is tolerated in a City like Paris ! I told the doorman outside when I left that in Montreal he would get a severe beating for luring customer inside with a scam like this.
He would probably end up as fish food in a month or two with this type of con .
To all north american tourist...avoid Pigale area bar and London piccadely circus bars at all cost. Go to a pub and try to pick up a local and bon appetit !

mikemontreal
May 16, 2013

PARIS POLICE-RED LIGHT DIST-BRIBE,MAFIA

I was prey of similar scams, however for 5 Euro worth of beer they billed me for 110euro, However they tried to threaten me hard, but I said i will not pay this amount, which is not valid amount. They forcibly did not allow me to go out, Then I threaten them with police, even then these guys were not worried, Then I took out my phone and pretended calling some friends and other people to come to this place to take up matter legally. This time the lady owner got bit frightened and asked me to pay another 10Euro and leave. I left the place , came out and straight away went to nearby police station. I explained the story, But the couple of police officers and lady police officer showed their inability to help me, As they said you do not have prove and said this happens everyday , so we cannot do anything. I found these police officers are also involved in this gang scam on red light streets of paris. They will not help, even they do not have sympathy for tourists.

I clearly understand French economy in particular, where so many homeless and beggars hover the streets. I saw two white girls near eiffil tower picking up leftover icecream from garbage bin, which someone threw little before. Looks like so called historical glorious countries are getting worse than third world countries, I can imagine PARIS POLICE must be getting bribed by these bar owners, else such scams would not be possible.

my first experience to paris was worse and this country really sucks , as I saw beggars, loosers, unemployed youths, cheap girls looking for money and on top of that dull faces struggling with survival difficulties. Paris sucks.

firsttimer11
Aug 16, 2011

red light district of paris-scam-police involved

( excuse me for my bad English)

firsttimer11

10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Red Light District in Paris - Dangerous

I was in Paris for business. I went to the Moulin Rouge for the show and then went to a strip club where the door man/solicitor offered me a "beer and free show" for 20 Euro. I said OK, why not, paid and went in. I was given a beer and guided to a table with only one exit to get away from the table without having your way blocked (first sign). For some reason there was nobody in this place even though it was right by Moulin Rouge. I finished my beer and the owner brought me a bill for $340 euro. I said 'I am not being scammed' and I said call the police or let me leave. I said this 3 times and then tried to walk past the guy and he pushed me. He then called over a bald bouncer and they were both blocking the little walkway. I said call the police then I started yelling call the police. FYI - I was asked 'where I was from' and 'are you alone' and answered them honestly - 'Not from Paris' and 'Yes'. I tried to leave one last time and the bouncer said you are going to pay fat boy. He started pushing me backwards telling me I was going to pay and phase 2 began - I slammed the bouncer up against the wall and head butted him and started asking him to fight me. I let him back up from the wall and shoved his head back into it and said come on B*. He was terrified. I can handle my own but I could see how a lot of tourists would get taken by this. Between my shock, fear and anger I started thinking about what to do next. The manager who pushed my earlier was backing up and said 'please leave'. I started yelling 'All you are cowards', the 'French are cowards' and was walking around trying to get someone to even look at me wrong. They have no self respect to begin with so my words probably did little damage but I felt good about it. I beat 4 guys at their game. The French are cowards and disgusting - they try to rob then back down like little girls when a real man challenges them. There is nothing tough about Paris but be prepared to fight - any US city is far more dangerous and tough but this type of stuff would never happen to you in the US.

I spent the rest of my night in my hotel room thinking that I should go back and finish business because the owner was walking around not bloodied up. I had to leave the next morning so didnt go back but I am planning a trip back to Paris and will do my best to prevent this from happening to another foreigner again. So - Signs to look for that things are bad for you when you walk in - 1. No people but workers. 2. Seated in a confined space. 3. Pressured to go in or participate.

To handle the situation for most people - 1. Shout Call the Police and stand your ground. Continue shouting as loud as you can until they let you go. Push them away, kick, scream, yell, etc. 2. If you can fight - fight but they are going to intimidate you and its not a 1 on 1 situation. I am 6'0 260lbs and one the bouncer was bloodied up a bit he backed down like a little girl and I was being asked kindly to leave. I should have ended the life of the owner of that place and would have had I truly been in Paris alone.

AmericanHC
Feb 28, 2010

Red light Paris - Very Dangerous

I walked around in Red Light area in Paris (Moulin Rouge). It is very dangerous. Some people were drunken and almost hit me. Many people standing in front the cafe/bar offered shows/girls. They pulled my hands and pushed inside. They said the drink was 10euros. But before I left, they asked for 800euros. Some big guys came and insisted me to pay and I can't call the police. The money in my wallet was taken and my credit card was robbed. 800euros (from my credit card) + 370euros (from my wallets) have gone! Be careful! It's dangerous place!

rclayd
Aug 06, 2009

Girls dont walk down Pigalle paris on your own

the titile says it all really!

my french friends(im from London) are in a band and were playing a gig at the fashion school ESMOD so i went along to see them on my own(like you do) and the gig finshed at about 9pm
so i started making my way back to the hotel where my friend was waiting for me and i took a wonder down Pigalle Place, Paris' as it was early and there were still a lot of people out and about! so off i went little did i know i was walking doen the red-light district of Pigalle!!! full of sex shops and prostitutes! and dirty french men! standing outside the sex shops. so i ran but then some man grabed my arm and would not let go! he was then saying that he wanted sex i think he thought i was a prossie! then i explaned that i'm from england & im visting friends but he wouldnt take no for an answear! then to my amzement my friend(who was waiting at the hotel) had gone lookin for me and found me and told the man to F off and she grabed my hand and draged me the hell outta there!

its full of tackey men! who think they have the right to talk to you like that.

stupid ***ers!

i you go to pigalle then go in the day time not night time.

and if any werid french men try talking to you just walk on by thats what i should of done.

Hilton1
Mar 01, 2009

What would happen if you fight?

I ran into a similar incident in Pigalle where the bouncer was requesting that I pay him 500 euros for a drink I didn't even drink. He was blocking the exit and so, it would be difficult for me to leave. Rather than paying him, has anyone tried fighting your way out? A punch in the nose ought to have a different effect and calling the cops, thereafter? What they are doing is a scam and do not deserve to be paid.

Regardless, for those who are interested in what I really did. I kept telling him I had nothing until he emptied my wallet which was around 200 euros. He then wanted my credit cards, too, but I was able to prevent him from taking it.

naiveTraveller
Oct 14, 2008
Nemorino's Profile Photo

Nemorino

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

BeatChick

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

shrimp56

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Do Not Go There

this is the first i went to this area.
i was ripped off in the middle of the day by a gay who was playing card ( sort of gambling) and he was oplaying with group of four men and women ( who turn to be his own gang) he was giving them money alot of money for a clear game and i partcipated in a stupid way for a clear card to me , when i opened it changed ( by the time you look for your money ,one of the four quickly change the card) it took me a while to receover from how native and simle and how dangeruos those people are. thank god i am safe.

norzia25
Apr 11, 2008

Paris red light info

I have read that you shouldn't even walk places like Rue St. Dennis in Paris. Let me assure you this is rubbish. During the day it is just like any other street. During the night the sex shops are very visible and there is the occasional prostitute. I didn't feel frightened or the least bit threatened day or night. Obviously these type of streets in any city has the potential to be dodgy. Just keep an eye on who's around you and you'll be fine.
If you picked this tip just looking for more info on the Paris redlight secene then for you-
Boulevard du Clichy- (close to Sacra Coeur). This is where the big sex shops are and shows like Moulin Rouge. If you pause to look at something there's a good chance you'll get hassled from someone trying to persuade you to enter a club. Just ignore him and keep walking.
Pigalle- famous redlight street though I don't know why since I saw no red lights there.
Rue de Garde- Over by the Montpasse tower. Small sex shops like Rue St Dennis. In the news when Wayne Rooney did some stuff the papers didn't approve off.
Please remember that Paris isn't like Amsterdam or Antwerp or Hamburg etc. Prostitution is illegal and if you search for a girl you may well get ripped off or worse.

tony86
Feb 11, 2008

So what did you expect?

Well, yeah, so the area around the Moulin Rouge has a lot of strip clubs and such things. So when you pass by them at 10pm and you're drunk out of your skull - yeah, someone might try to get you into their club. It's sorta like an IQ test "I am drunk, and in a part of town reknown for screwing foreigners out of their cash - what do I do?"

Use common sense people - just like when you go to a joint back home. Use your head....not that one. The one with the brain in it.

Bela_LUng's Profile Photo
Bela_LUng
Aug 19, 2006

Red light districts

It's probably best to avoid walking around Chatelet Les Halles and the Pigalle districts at night, as these are apparently the areas most frequented by prostitutes. The Boulevards de Clichy and de Rouchchouart, place Blanche and place Pigalle are described even by Rough Guide as 'sleazy'.
If you do fancy seeing what all the fuss is about, keep a tight hold on your wallet/bag, and try not to look to obviously like a tourist.

illumina's Profile Photo
illumina
Jun 12, 2006

Things to Do Near Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

La Comédie Française

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

Address

Paris

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map