Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Customize Your Perfect Day in Paris
"Your day in Paris is completely tailored to match your sightseeing desires. Before your tour your private guide will contact you to discuss the things you want to see so that your logistics and itinerary can be arranged in advance saving you time.On the day of your tour meet your guide at your preferred central location and then set off by whatever means of transport is needed. Taxi rides and public transport are included but all meals activities and entrance fees are payable at your own expense.So what to see? That's up to you! Perhaps visit must-see sights like the ever-inspiring Eiffel Tower -- Paris’s undisputed architectural icon -- or the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur for sweep focus on the more offbeat Paris attractions like the Père Lachaise Cemetery – the city’s hauntingly beautiful graveyard – or let your guide introduce you to private parks that tourist maps miss. Below is a sample itinerary."
From EUR89.00

Private Tour: Explore Your Favorite Neighborhood in Paris
"Your morning or afternoon in Paris is completely tailored to match your interests. Your guide will contact you before your tour to discuss the things you want to see so that your logistics and itinerary can be arranged in advance. Choose one of seven nei Opéra/Louvre Montparnasse St-Germain-des-Prés Panthéon/Latin Quarter Montmartre or the Marais/Bastille. On the day of your tour your guide will meet you at your hotel or apartment in central Paris. Then
From EUR36.00

Private 2-Day Tour: Customize Your Perfect Stay in Paris
"You will need to contact your guide ahead of time to help set up your itinerary based on what you want to do and see during your two days in Paris. On the first day of your tour meet your guide at your preferred central Paris location then head out together to explore the City of Lights. Public transport is included but all meals activities and entrance fees are at your own expense.Paris has a multitude of offerings for nearly every type of traveler. Want to hit all the top Paris attractions such as the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral? Are you an art buff seeking to tackle the Louvre? Or would you rather explore off-the-beaten path neighborhoods such as the bohemian Montmartre district? It's up to you. Below is a sample itinerary to spark some ideas."
From EUR170.00

Toilets Tips (20)

Carry change!

I was walking around the Opera district on a Sunday morning, I had gotten up early, had a bite to eat and set out. I hadn't thought to make sure i had some change in my pocket,after all it seems I am constantly trying to get rid of small coins I always seem to end up with..alas all i had was relatively large bills. So I start hearing nature's call, check my pockets and I'm out of luck. Nothing much was open and there didn't seem to be too many people walking the streets. The places i went, though polite, refused to make change for large bills and not much was open on a Sunday morning.

I saw one of these toilets, wondering what they are doing on an elegant street.

Alas, down the street come a small group of Australians. The one guy takes a look at me and says...."mate, you gotta go." I explained my predicament (no change) and the Aussie said "no worries mate"....I took them out for a beer afterwards.

Moral of the story...make sure you carry small change with you on Sundays.

note- these toilets are quite clean thankfully

GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
GentleSpirit
Sep 30, 2013

Toilettes Are Not Always Handicap Accessable

After I fell down and hurt my knee in Paris, which, as I write three months later, is still hurting, I realized how inaccessable the bathrooms are to people with physical disabilities. I would include extreme overweight in that catergory too, as you can see from this photo. Bathrooms are often down in the bowels of the resto where you must use either a spiral or very steep staircase. The spiral staircases are so narrow that if you are in the obese category you might have a problem.

ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
ForestqueenNYC
Sep 29, 2013

Plan Accordingly - If You Can

On our first trip to Paris we had heard about and then saw these public toilets scattered about Paris, but did not have the occasion to visit them. On our second trip in 2012 we did make a quick(?) pit stop at 2 of them during our days on the Paris streets. I was the first to use one a couple of blocks off one of the main streets. I was able to walk right in, take care of business and leave. However on a nice Sunday afternoon, Sue felt the call of nature as did the 5 or 6 people in line in front of her.

They are very clean inside compared to the Porta Potties and outdoor facilities we have here in the U.S. so I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

I had read that there were costs involved with some, but the 2 we happened upon were free of charge.

riorich55's Profile Photo
riorich55
Feb 23, 2013

Public Toilets are Free & Brand New !

FYI, since 2006 (February 15) Public Toilets are free in Paris.

Sanisette (public toilets / closets like) are pretty clean but decade old.

Since begin of this year, brand new toilets are replacing them : brighter, spacer , greener.

This is pretty cool :)

The only probilem with Sanisettes is that sometime they are OutOfOrder and waiting for somebody to "repair" them (most of the time only refill with paper).

This is a problème on key toilets hotspots where there at huge crowds of tourist (think toilets at RER C entrance near tour eiffel for instance).

So my advice is that if you are somebody that needs to go to toilets often and need to go to crowed location, plan for an alternative location (not something quite far, but one that tourists never go to ...but only parisians).

I'll try to bring a complete Paris Google maps of this some time ;-)

testman123

10 rue Saint Hyacinthe, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
15 Rue des Pyramides, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France
32, rue Sainte Anne, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Handicap Safety

My wife has arthritis in her ankles and hips which make movement slow and somewhat difficult (although she can walk slowly without assistance.) We stayed in four different hotels in France selected from 3 and 4 star accommodations in major cities -- Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Avignon. Three of the four had bathroom facilities - tubs/showers- that were impossible for her to use safely without help - high clearances to enter the tubs; no slip-resistant mats/ strips in the tubs; no grab rails; and otherwise clumsy facilities.

She also observed that many (well over half) of the restaurants we dined in did not have restroom facilities on the ground floor. As noted, she can manage stairs with effort, but had much difficulty; anyone requiring full wheelchair access will find that the availability of handicap facilities is far less than we are accustomed to in the US. It is an unfortunate reality that many of these historic (or at least old!) buildings are not accessible to those with mobility limitations.

Thus, we recommend that travelers with difficulty walking check out these facilities in advance whenever possible.

bpritts's Profile Photo
bpritts
Aug 10, 2009

Toilets

Don't be surprised if you see someone of the opposite sex using the wc next to you. Toilets in Europe are unisex. Yes, yes, yes I know... I didn't like it either but what could I do?? when you have to go, you HAVE to go! doesn't matter who is next to you!

cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo
cinthya_in_victoria
Dec 26, 2008

toilet info in Paris

There are loads of free toilets in Paris. They are brown shed like structures. I would only use these in an emmergancy though because you either have to squat or sit on a wet seat. They are ideal for a guy wanting a quick slash.
As you would expect the main tourist attractions have toilets and most like the Grand Arch are free once you are in.

tony86
Feb 11, 2008

No changing tables!

If you are visiting Paris with a young child who is still in diapers, please be prepared to change his or her diaper on park benches or other such places. Most places, whether they are touristy or not, do not provide changing tables in their bathrooms.

The only places I have been able to find a changing table so far include:
- St. Joseph's Catholic Church on Avenue Hoche
- Printemps department store, Printemps de la Maison (basement level (-1) near the baby clothes) on Boulevard Haussmann
- Eiffel Tower, 1st level public bathrooms next to the gift shop, ask the bathroom employee to open the handicap bathroom
- Chateau de Versailles, restroom near the chateau tour entrance (not really Paris, but good to know)

My poor son has had to be changed on benches by Notre-Dame de Paris and Hotel Des Invalides! I know other people around us may not appreciate this, but we are not given any other choice.

*will update list as more are found

crodri1's Profile Photo
crodri1
Apr 05, 2007
Nemorino's Profile Photo

Nemorino

"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
BeatChick's Profile Photo

BeatChick

"Perambulations in Paris!"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

shrimp56

"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."

Make Sure You Have Some Small Change

This is not so much a warning or a danger. It's a reminder to be sure you have some loose change handy. You never know when you will need to use the toilet and quite a few public toilets have attendants sitting inside expecting some change; generally any small change will do. Others like the ones (separate WC's for men and women) in the Jardin du Luxembourg have a fixed price! And an attendant is there to make sure you pay up.

CALSF's Profile Photo
CALSF
May 24, 2005

You must pay for washrooms at Versailles

You must pay .50 EU to use the washrooms at Versailles. The first washroom that we encountered near the bookstore had a long line out of the door. The line consisted of men and women and it was later discovered that men could walk to the front of the line, pay and use the washroom. I got in line and ended up having to leave once I got to the front because I didn't know and I didn't see the sign that said you had to pay. I didn't have any small change on me and I had to leave to find my husband. ONce you pay, you will get a ticket. Keep it, because they could ask you for proof later on. When I was there, there was a man that just wanted to wash his hands. He went in without paying and the attendant yelled and chased after him. She stopped and didn't follow him into the washroom but she then started asked to see our tickets because once you pay and get a ticket, you're still in line for a good 5 to 10 minutes!

ChicBaby's Profile Photo
ChicBaby
Feb 20, 2005

Washrooms at Samaritaine

The famous Samaritine department store has some great (free) washrooms on the 5th floor. The women's room has automatic sanitary napkin disposals (you just wave your hand in front of a sensor), a special liquid to squirt on your toliet paper to clean the seat, automatic sinks and blowers. Beware the if you go to the 9th floor where they sell souvenirs, there are coin machines on the washroom doors.

ChicBaby's Profile Photo
ChicBaby
Feb 20, 2005

Not all Western Style Toilets!

Be aware that the toilets are not all the same in Paris. Some are just holes in the floor where you are just to sqwat and go. If you want a real toilet then you will likely pay for it ...Around .40 euro. Well worth it if you are not adept at missing the shoes or pants around the ankles
It would be nice to at least purchase a coco or coffee if you need the break since it really irritates the Restaurant help that you have popped in for a poo!
When I saw this toilet looking up at me I didn't quite believe that I was supposed to use it for MY intentions so I moved on and found another that I paid to use.

fototravels's Profile Photo
fototravels
Nov 11, 2004

Things to Do Near Paris

Saint Roch Church - Eglise

If you are in Paris on a Tuesday (except in mid-summer) you can attend a noontime chamber music concert in the beautiful setting of the Saint-Roch Church, one of the oldest and largest churches in...

Palais Royal

If you understand French, you should have no trouble finding a guided walking tour of one of the districts of Paris on any day of the year. These are listed, for example, in a section called VISITES...

River Seine Cruises

Who wants to look further than Paris on foot, in a different way can go boating. From the water, the view of the beautiful historic buildings and bridges spectacular a very different from the side....

La Comédie Française

Founded in 1690 by Louis XIV, the Comédie Française is still going strong as the world's oldest theater troupe. Their repertoire consists mainly of classic French plays from the 17th and 18th...

Galerie Vivienne

This is one of several old galleries dating back to the early 19th Century. It was THE place to shop in its day and has had something of a resurgence in recent decades and is a great glimpse into...

Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries

I realize that I have only really been to Paris once for any length of time, and that was in 1950 when I was 12. My only subsequent visit(s) were the equivalent of a day trip in 1964. I would come in...

Getting to Paris

Address

Paris

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map