Map &

Munich 2-Hour Segway Tour: Historic Center and English Garden
From EUR64.00

Hofbräuhaus Tips (66)

Hofbräuhaus: Typical Bavarian food experience

What a great ambience here in the Hofbräuhaus! When you visit Munich, you should visit this place at Platz 5, in the center of Munich. Drink a great local beer and eat the Weisswurst with a Bretzel or a great Schweinebraten. It;s always very full here which is part of the ambiance. PROST!

P.S. Don't forget to visit the souvenir shop right at the entrance!

Colinde's Profile Photo
Sep 12, 2015

Hofbräuhaus am Platzl: Beer, Belly-laughs, and Blasmusik

Is there anyone who HASN'T heard of this place? Certainly the iconic Hofbräuhaus comes to mind for most when Munich is mentioned. It's crowded, loud, raucous, chaotic, full of drunk tourists... and an absolute blast! If you enjoy beer and want to party Bavarian style, I strongly recommend you come here at least once. Note: If your travel companion is not much into beer or loud antics, you probably should consider visiting here when your companion is otherwise occupied (e.g. shopping or visiting a museum).

Favorite Dish They serve food? :)

Seriously, the food is OK, but better elsewhere. Maybe order some "wurst mit kraut" or a large pretzel to keep something besides beer in your stomach.

The beer is delicious, normally coming in "Helles" (golden lager) or "Dunkeles" (dark beer). If you don't want to drink an entire liter of beer, consider ordering a "Weissbier" (beer brewed with wheat instead of barley), which comes in 1/2 liter glasses.

travelfrosch's Profile Photo
Jun 22, 2015

Hofbräuhaus München: Can't Miss Well Known Tourist Attraction

My boyfriend just cringed at the thought of bringing me to this place. Since he is German and lived there until he was 30 years old, he knew of this place and said it's a tourist trap. The beer is okay, the food is okay. So, we walked inside to check it out and then walked right out. He preferred we dined elsewhere. I think it was fine. I liked the entertainment. It seemed like a hustling, bustling place. So, here are my pics.

GracesTrips's Profile Photo
Oct 03, 2014

Hofbrauhaus: Ok,,,,you know you should

So here we are at the Hoffbrahaus, if your visitng Munich then you will already have heard the neam. It;s one of the oldest beerhalls of Muncih and certainly featured in the rise of National Socialism. Nowadys its a ...IN PROGRESS

Steveharley's Profile Photo

Fuerstenstrasse 12, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany
Turkenstrasse 35, Munich, Bavaria, 80799, Germany
Amalienstrasse 20, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany

Hofbräuhaus: Give the Hofbräuhaus Its Due

The Hofbräuhaus has been called the best and worst beer hall in the world. Many of us as "tourists" complain that a place that is too "touristy." I have been guilty of that myself, many times. I want to go and see the "real thing." From what I have been told, the Hofbräuhaus is doing what it has done for a long time. It is entirely possible that they have been doing the same thing since before there were tourists. I know that it is at least 40 years because I have been going there that long.

One tip is to watch for tables with signs that say "stammtisch." These tables are reserved for local regulars. Frequently there will be a group arrival time on the card. If you are not a member of the group, you will be asked to leave when the arrival time gets close.

It is also important to distinguish between places that are “touristy” and those that are “tourist traps.” While the Hofbräuhaus may be “touristy," it is more authentic than any “tourist trap” selling fake merchandise. There are people who will complain about a place being too "touristy" and then complain when the menus are not in English. Why not learn the chorus to the Hofbräuhaus Song and join in. Brush-up on “Country Roads” by John Denver. They'll play that a few times each night.

While I like the Augustiner Bräuhaus and the Löwenbraükeller better, it is just a matter of taste. And while the Hofbräuhaus is a "tourist attraction," it is the most popular beer hall in the world because it is a "fun" place to be. Go and be part of the fun. That's what makes it popular with the locals as well. For a good time, it's hard beat the good ol' Hofbräuhaus! The following may help.

In Munchen steht ein Hofbräuhaus
Eins, zwei, g'suffa
Da lauft so manches Fasschen aus
Eins, zwei, g'suffa
Da hat so manche braver Mann
Gezeigt was er so vertragen kann
Schon fruh am Morgen fing er an
Und spat am Abend kam er heraus
So schon ist's im Hofbräuhaus

Favorite Dish Everything that I have had is excellent. The dumplings are very good with everything served. The Schweinebraten is excellent as is the eisbein (pork shank). If it is made of pork, Germans do more with pork than anyone. The goulaschsuppe is also excellent. (Photo #5 shows the remainders of a finished eisbein.)

flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus: Munichs favourite

A great place to have a maas of beer, which is a litre glass to wash down your pretzel or weisswurst!

You can sit in the one of many large halls and listen to the band playing typical "Bavarian Music" or on a nice day sit out in the sunny beer garden.

Favorite Dish Many typical Bavarian dishes too choose from Schweinshax'n , which is basically a roasted leg of pork, Original Muenchner HB-Weiswurste, which is a boiled white sausage and very tasty with the sweet mustard. But peel the sausage before eating!
And for dessert try the Bayerische Dampfnudel which is a dumpling stuffed with a plum sauce served with a vanilla sauce! Lecker!!

nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: The Well Known Hofbräuhaus

Great party/fun atmosphere in the evenings, but closes down early (by midnight). It's a must visit for most tourists. Can you tell people you visited Muenchen and NOT stop bye the Hofbräuhaus? I didn't think so.

Favorite Dish BEEEER! Need I say more?!?!?!

Apr 04, 2011

Hofbräuhaus: The history have been here

During our day in Munich, we decided to visit the famous older brewery in Munich in the afternoon. We found a seat together with other people that was there already and we enjoyed our beer and a potato salad.
This is a real historical place, stated back in 1500, you can read a lot about it here
The ceiling is decorated with floral theme mural and the hall have big wooden table and benches. There was a orchestra playing german folk music in the midle of the room, the player were half drunk he he he but the music was still good :-)

oriettaIT's Profile Photo
Jan 27, 2011
globetrott's Profile Photo

"Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
View Member

"Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
Henkster's Profile Photo

"Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
antistar's Profile Photo

"The Big Village"
acemj's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus: Hofbrauhaus

This well known beerhall was founded in 1589, but is really frequented by tourists and not locals who tend to go elsewhere. Still you get a good feeling for a beerhall here and their food is good.

Favorite Dish weisswurz, semel & senf

mvtouring's Profile Photo
Oct 01, 2010

Hofbrauhaus: The oh so famous.....

The Hofbrauhaus fits into so many categories for tip writing. It is definitely a "Thing to Do" in Munich, not to mention a "Restaurant" tip and a "Nightlife" tip. I've settled on putting it in the restaurant tips and hope that I'm correct in doing so.
This is a German institution, which is famous the world over and very exciting to visit.
We were there the first time at 2pm on a Tuesday and the place was packed and the Oom Pa Pah band was playing away. Fabulous!
The following night we went back for dinner and once again the excitement was palpable.

Favorite Dish I had four different sausages for dinner when we went back on the following night. It came served of course, with mustard and sauerkraut and was very tasty, though not memorable.
I do remember that the prices of the food were quite reasonable.

Maryimelda's Profile Photo
Mar 30, 2010

Hoftbrahaus: My salad left a lot to be desired

First i ordered "Bavarian beef", they were out of it ( not sure what it was anyway), then ordered a salad ( with turkey) in its place. Turkey had a nice taste, but was really fatty.....dressing too creamy too and just drowning the salad. I barely ate it and it was pretty expensive for a salad.

Favorite Dish Just the beer

Bavavia's Profile Photo
Jun 15, 2009

Hofbräuhaus: Traditional Bavarian food and beer

When I visit, I usually get the plate of brats with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Oh yeah don't forget the beer. I've tried the Hofbräu Original, the Hofbräu Dunkel and the Münchner Weisse. All very good. On my next tirp I'll be sure to try the other six or so varieties.

fisherbray's Profile Photo
Jan 12, 2008

Things To Do Near Munich

Things to Do

So much see here at the Odeonsplatz.The Residenz ,Feldherrenhalle,Theatinerkirche etc......The Ludwigstrasse starts at the Odeonsplatz and ends at the Siegestor.This grand boulevard has Italian style...

Alte Pinakothek

Inaugurated in 1836, the Alte Pinakothek is one of the oldest art museums in the world. It was commissioned by King Ludwig I of Bavaria who employed the architect Leo von Klenze to design a building...

Staatliches Museum Aegyptischer Kunst - State Museum of Egyptian Art

Strolling down the road I came to the Residenz, the old palace of royalty in the city and fairly hard to miss if you're in the area. Curiousity led me to explore some of the architecture and thus it...

Bayerisches Nationalmuseum

Ok, now that I write this, in August 2016, we all northern hemispherers still celebrate summer (or how summer behaves this year), it is too early to think about Christmas. But Christmas comes soon, so...

Residence - Residenz

The Munich Residence is a complex of buildings and courtyards that was the home of the Wittelsbach dynasty of dukes, electors and finally kings of Bavaria from 1385 to 1918, when the last Wittelsbach...

Pinakothek der Moderne

It opened in 2002 as one of the world’s largest museums of modern art and as the complement of the other 2 pinakotheks, the neue (new)and the alte(old). It is divided in 3 floors and houses paintings...

Getting to Munich

Platzl 9, 80331 Muenchen

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!