Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Zum Augustiner Tips (29)

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great traditional restaurant

Augustiner is one of the most beautiful traditional inns in Munich. It is situated in the pedestrian area and has this wonderful " beergarden " in the back of the building.
I was there in october, and it was a bit too cold to sit outside, but in summer it will be hard to get any of these tables.

Favorite Dish
Schweinsbraten with Knödel / Knoedel and a fresh beer.
There are different kinds of Knödel / Knoedel in Bavaria:
Semmelknödel - made of rolls
Kartoffelknödel - made of potatoes

globetrott's Profile Photo
globetrott
Feb 23, 2006

Augustiner Bierhalle/Augustinerbräuhaus: One of the best...

First, there are three different Augustinerbräu sponsored bierhalls. The first in this pair of reviews is the Augustiner Bierhalle. This bierhalle is located in the pedestrian area between Karlsplatz and Marianplatz at Neuhauser Straße 27. While everyone should experience the Hofbräuhaus once, this is the place to return to. The food served in the downstairs restaurant is reasonable and excellent. The beer is inexpensive compared to a lot of the tourist places. The atmosphere is pure Bavarian. The biergarten is super with a very professional and friendly staff. Upstairs the actual bierhalle is lively and great fun.

The other, the Augustinerbräuhaus, is on Landsburgerstrasse. I believe that this is as close to the true (by definition) beer halls in the world. Like all of the Augustiner establishments, the food is great and the staff is helpful and professional. The atmosphere is beautiful but rustic Bavarian and wonderful. My only complaint about this bierhalle is the same in all of them: smoke. Wherever one finds beer, food, and people, one will always find smoker's in droves.

Conclusion: if you want to experience the real Munich, Augustiner is the word. For me, the Augustiner Bierhalle and the Augustinerbrauhäus are the best values for the money in Munich.

Favorite Dish The schweinsbraten, sauerbraten, and schuefle at both places are all excellent. The do their own butchering and meatcutting. All of the sauces are perfectly subtle and not overpowering. A friend had the eisbein (pork shank) which was also excellent. The beer (Augustiner) is the best.

flyingscot4's Profile Photo
flyingscot4
Aug 25, 2007

Augustiner Bierhalle: A Classic

This is one of the traditional beer halls of Munich. However, the waiters and waitresses aren't very traditional Bavarian. We heard a lot of slavic accents and one woman told her workmate in her best Berlin accent that she would wear her old Dirndl the following day ;)

In my opinion the Augustiner is not as touristy as Hofbräuhaus and I think the beer and food here is better too. The hall is huge and very traditional and nice. We sat outside in the backyard though to enjoy one of the first spring days of the year.

Favorite Dish Weißwurst, Brezn and a very tasty sweet but spicy mustard.

sabsi
Apr 04, 2005

Augustiner Restaurant: Historic place and a great location

The Augustiner's origins date back to the late 13th century when monks from the Augustinian Monastery began brewing this celebrated beer. The existing location dates to the late 19th century and is located on the main shopping street between Marienplatz and Karlsplatz. I stopped in for a meal one afternoon and, although the food was heavy, it was very good. Try the pork knuckle if you don't mind clogged arteries and the potential for a massive life-ending heart attack!

acemj's Profile Photo

Furstenstrasse 12, 80333
Fuerstenstrasse 12, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany
Turkenstrasse 35, Munich, Bavaria, 80799, Germany
Amalienstrasse 20, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany

Augustiner Bierhalle: I'll Have Another "Russ"

An unexpected overnight stay in Munich - so I ask the hotel front desk to point me in the direction of the old part of town, where I might find a local restaurant and some good German beer.

The very first old-fashioned German-looking restaurant I came to was Augustiner. (Of course, it turns out it is extremely popular and well-known.)

Looked a bit touristy - the servers were even dressed in period-style clothes. But heck, that's what I'm here for!

I wanted to sit outside - but all the outdoor tables on the pedestrian street were filled. Walked inside to take a look.

Charming, cozy, with traditional dark wood. Quite lovely. But then I notice - this place is HUGE! I continue to walk back through room after room. Finally, I can see light - there's another patio all the way in the back!

I ask the host if there's a possibility of sitting with anyone (I know they don't want to give up a table for just one person). He finds a lovely German couple who've just sat down who agree to let me sit with them. He's a chemist - she's a pharmacist. They're in town for the opera.

And they introduce me to ein "Russ." It's a mixture of weissbier (wheat beer) and sparkling lemonade or soda. It sounds awful (to me), but it was wonderful.

Favorite Dish I had a veal and chanterelles in a cream sauce - very rich. The dumplings could have been used as ballast they were so dense. The cooked, spiced red cabbage was overpowering!

In short - I LOVED IT! The Russ, too.

Lacristina's Profile Photo
Lacristina
Jul 22, 2005

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great experience

Augustiner Bierhalle is one of the ancient brewery of Munich (1328). Here you can taste the real Bavarian friedship and to eat and to drink the delicious Augustiner Beer in the typical long table. A great experience!!!

Favorite Dish You must drink the Augustiner Beer. The restaurant has got a vast selection of Munich specialities like the rumpsteack, the sausages or the breaded pig.

Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
Cristian_Uluru
Sep 25, 2007

Augustiner Restaurant: Atmosphere by the bucket load

The Augustiner is part of a big complex complete with hotel and function facilities. The Bierhalle is huge and loaded with atmosphere. We stopped in for lunch and were really impressed. The place was packed both inside and out and this to me, is always a good sign.

Favorite Dish I must be honest and say I can't exactly remember what we ate only that we enjoyed it. They had a big basket of pretzels on the table which we tucked into only to find that what you have eaten is counted and charged for. I've since learnt that this is common practise in some parts of Europe and it doesn't bother me at all.

Maryimelda's Profile Photo
Maryimelda
Mar 30, 2010

Augustiner: Notable

Another pleasurable outdoor cafe and Beer Garden with talented chefs sure to please.

Situate a fantastic restaurant in the center of Marienplatz, have some seating outside, and the others are history.

adambeau's Profile Photo
adambeau
Oct 27, 2002
globetrott's Profile Photo
"Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
View Member
"Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
Henkster's Profile Photo
"Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
antistar's Profile Photo
"The Big Village"
acemj's Profile Photo
"Munich"
View Member

Augustiner Bierhalle: Come in from the rain!

To finish off our day, we stopped in the Augustiner Restaurant for a bite to eat and a refreshing drink. We found a table and it was a while before our stiff waiter decided he would wait on us. We ordered our meals and beers as best we could in German. He didn't seem to happy with our abilities. The food was ok, nothing too impressive. The beer was quite good though.

Since we were there a while we were able to meet several different groups of people as they came and went from our table.

At the end of the night when we went to pay, our waiter then decided to write down what we had ordered. I'm not sure if this is how it's normally done or if he does this with only those who speak little German (he tried to charge us for an entree we didn't order and was double what we had ordered!). We aren't positive but we think that we ended up getting charged for more than we ordered...so it's best to keep track of what you're ordering and the price!

adyeast's Profile Photo
adyeast
Nov 18, 2007

Augustiner Bierhalle: It's always full of peole!!!!

The first time I went there it was on the 31st. We tried to see if there was any space for two waiting for the midnight but it was a real "Mission impossible"!!
But then I went back there other times and each time it was full of people eating, drinking beer and smoking.
It was founded by Augustinian monks and the first time it was mentioned was 1328.
It’s funny but you won’t find any nice and young waitressworking there but only middle aged women dressed as in the past; anothere funny thing is that it will be easier seeing young guys working there.
They have the menu in all languages and don’t be upset if they look unpolite, it’s only that the place is always very full of people!!!!

paoseo's Profile Photo
paoseo
Feb 03, 2006

Augustiner Bierhalle: A stopping off point for bier and kaffee

We entered through the wrong doors, and as we did not want lunch we had to wlak through the restaurant area into the other side of the facility where we had bier and kaffee. We also had a few pretzels too.

gordonilla's Profile Photo
gordonilla
Mar 11, 2006

Augustiner Bierhalle: Make sure to go up to the Beer Hall

Augustiner was one of the best beer halls we visited. The place is huge and was totally packed when we got there. Make sure to go up the stairs on the right to get to the beer hall or else you will just be in the restaurant.

What was great about Augustiner was that lots of locals were here as well as tourists. Some say that Augustiner is the best beer in Munich. I'd say it was one of my favorites but not the top one.

The atmosphere was great at Augustiner. The waiter was very helpful and we ended up talking with some locals for a while and stayed until the place closed.

Favorite Dish The menu was a bit limited due to a holiday but I was pleasantly surprised by my dish. I had fish which came with mashed potatoes and french fries. Fish isn't something I usually order out but it was really good.

For dessert I had this soft, doughy cake that came with vanilla ice cream and a really sweet syrup. It was pretty interesting and worth trying.

MLW20's Profile Photo
MLW20
May 07, 2007

Things To Do Near Zum Augustiner

Things to do
So much see here at the Odeonsplatz.The Residenz ,Feldherrenhalle,Theatinerkirche etc......The Ludwigstrasse starts at the Odeonsplatz and ends at the Siegestor.This grand boulevard has Italian style...
Things to do
Inaugurated in 1836, the Alte Pinakothek is one of the oldest art museums in the world. It was commissioned by King Ludwig I of Bavaria who employed the architect Leo von Klenze to design a building...
Things to do
Strolling down the road I came to the Residenz, the old palace of royalty in the city and fairly hard to miss if you're in the area. Curiousity led me to explore some of the architecture and thus it...
Things to do
Ok, now that I write this, in August 2016, we all northern hemispherers still celebrate summer (or how summer behaves this year), it is too early to think about Christmas. But Christmas comes soon, so...
Things to do
The Munich Residence is a complex of buildings and courtyards that was the home of the Wittelsbach dynasty of dukes, electors and finally kings of Bavaria from 1385 to 1918, when the last Wittelsbach...
Things to do
It opened in 2002 as one of the world’s largest museums of modern art and as the complement of the other 2 pinakotheks, the neue (new)and the alte(old). It is divided in 3 floors and houses paintings...

Getting to Zum Augustiner

Address

Neuhauser Straße 27, 80331 München

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map